AeroGarden Part Two - Featuring TopLED Reflector Series 96x3w

I would use a 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness lighting schedule. I read a study where lighting schedule versus root length was tested and plants grown under a 16/8 lighting schedule grew the longest roots, 18/6 was not tested. I was made aware of a study where lighting schedule versus growth was tested and plants give at least 5.5 hours of darkness grew the most.

Thanks King....I'm going to 18/6. I saw the suggestion in several other places but without a study or reason why. I'm not questioning it because it was several SME's from 420 that suggested it.

Renegade

New pics are loaded on my next update.

20 Feb 14, Thursday

Week 4, Day 2, 3rd day of LST

Temp at 0600 was 81 and humidity was 37%. Night time ranges were 71-81 and 37-64.

Temp at 1800 was 88 and humidity was 31%. Put ice in res and turned mister on. Current readings (2100) are 73 and 72%. More ice added to res.

21 Feb 14, Friday

Week 4, Day 3, 4th day of LST

Temp at 0600 was 77, and humidity was 47. Night time ranges were 73-79 and 47-77%

Temp ranges were good....that's it...LOL.

Ordered my BubblePhonics6 from StealthHydro today...yea. Now for my LED's...LOL.

22 Feb 14, Saturday

Week 4, Day 4, 5th day of LST

Healthy baby gurl (I hope...not...but maybe...LOL). Gonna start training in clockwise direction. At each node, its respective laterals will be trained in a clockwise direction. Once they reach the lateral in front of them they will be allowed to grow up.

This is what she looks like this morning.
IMG_0755_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0754_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0753_800x598_.jpg

Anchored the base at 4 points. Will add a second anchor point for base just above the first.

Top her....I soooo don't want to but I know I will have to....LOL.

Cut back lights this weekend. So it's been a 24 hour cycle for 4 weeks.

Will wait and to top and cut back the lights on Sunday morning.

Update to Saturdays (22 Feb 14) notes:

In the evening I pinched the 2 fan leaves at the top and bent them back. This is where I will top her, just above this set of fans. That will give me a total of 6 nodes and hopefully 12 laterals to work with. I've also been spreading the top "Cola" with my fingers since hearing that in doing so will make the internodes short. (Yes, I'm actually washing my hands before doing so...LOL).

Started training lateral 1 (first set) in my planed clockwise direction.

Top her....I soooo don't want to but I know I will have to....LOL. I will top her before going to bed.

And change the light schedule in the morning...or evening. 18/6 right???....don't answer that, I already know. My lights out will be during the over night period....while I'm sleeping so I'm not temped to look at her. So it's been a 24 hour cycle for 4 weeks.

Will post pic's tomorrow night.

Renegade

23 Feb 14, Sunday

Week 4, Day 5, 6th day of LST

So, I toped her last night and she looks good this morning.

Light schedule changed to 18/6. Will monitor for adverse effects.

Removing top cubby to make room for LED's on next grow.

Slight dilemma this morning. Only slight because I can always cut back the lights to 16/8 and still be effective. Looks like if I put the AG on a timer when the unit (lights) turn off so does the pump. So question....how long can the pump be off before affecting the plant and roots? The bubble stone is of course on separate so that will at least still be running.

And now the new problem. Still slight because I can get it figured out with a little help from my friends. I'm noticing some yellowing tips on some of my leaves. My lights, nutrients, temp and humidity are all good. Got them zero'd in. My guess it's in the water. Either the temp of my res (which I've been battling since the beginning) or she's getting too much nutrients.

This is the situation. The nutrient schedule is based on GH's FloraSeries. The AG is only a 1 gallon (give or take....more take) reservoir and with only one plant going right now she may be taking in too much....over feeding.? Ooorrrrrr...which bothers me the most is my reservoir temp. I'm checking the temp daily and it's generally in the low 80's. All day long I'm putting a small baggie of ice in the water but it's not constant enough to keep the temp down.

Oh and I forgot to say that the roots look really good. Nice and white with nothing browning. Just about everyone I can see have the little hairs coming off them.

So, which is it. Too much nutrient or res temp to high? Input please.

Renegade

This is my second AeroGarden Journal. First journal and grow wasn't successful for reason outside of my control. Not going to be the same this time.

Several White Widow seeds left behind from the August 2010 attempt. Also have some Afgan Kush my baby brother sent me from Cali and just ordered some Bubblelicious from Nirvana. All fem's so I may just try and pop all three flavors at the same time and play with that. Still haven't decided.

So we’ve all heard about it now lets’ give it a go. My statement from my first attempt. Since then, I've seen others who have attempted and were very successful in growing from these little toys so this is just my shot at being just as successful.

I will update as often as work and life allows and will include pics when we meet a stepping stone.

Begin this journal with as much information as possible so everyone is on track with me and I hope to get some valuable input.

So let it begin...

A pic to start with....

7640.jpg

How did you get your s to work? My mom gave me two of these and every time I try and use them I rot my stuff out

Week 3, Day 3....

Temp at 0600 was 81, humidity was 29%. Night time temps ranged 81-84, 25-32%

Temp at 2200 was 82, humidity was 32%, water temp 29.9C=85F

Plant height is around 2 1/2 to 3" tall with a wing span....get this 11" for one set of 3's and 9" for the other set of 3's. I would love to get excited but all I'm doing is what I'm learning and I'm using GH's FloraSeries nute's. Running their suggested feeding schedule.
IMG_0713_800x598_.jpg

Now going with Cronic's suggestions of water temp and light. I first covered the top of my pod with one of the paper disk's that come with the AG. I could see the difference from below with and without the paper and the amount of light that was coming in. Second for my reservoir temp I placed a baggie with some ice cubes in the water. These two were another "Duh" moment because I was aware of the importance of light in a hydro setup not getting into the res because of algae. I dam should have remembered the water temp. I'm sure I caught both in time. The comment about flushing...maybe it was a bad use of the word because I don't flush with flushing nute's I just drain the res, refill it with tap water let it run for 15-20 and repeat 2 more times. Then add the distilled with fresh nute's already in it. Yes, I add the nute's to the water the night I'm draining and not sooner.

Then going with King's suggestion of placing my mister (when it gets here) in the area of my fans. I made the second adjustment by moving my glass water dish over below my fans. The dish is sitting on top of a heating pad (heating pad temp on high, not sure of exact but mildly hot to touch). So far humidity (with doors open) is holding at 35%. Normally when I open the doors it drops to about 30% or below. This is a big improvement from where it has been. Mean while I purchased a personal mister from Amazon and will be here next week just before the next drain and fill. King I believe i'm in all my ranges except for the humidity. I would like to keep my temps around 85 but anywhere in the range of high or low of that I would be happy. Most times the temp just wavers around 82-83 or 84. I'm taking notes on the humidity range and will adjust accordingly. As to the Calcium and Magnesium supplements...Do you think GH's FloraSeries accounts for that? If not where would I get those supplements? I would think since I'm changing out my nutes weekly it shouldn't be a problem. And my res is only a 1 gallon tank. And right now it's just one plant. When I checked my PPM before the drain it was still above the 1K range.

And lastly but no less important are Sling's suggestions and comments about my light question. Mine is only a question in return...yea, yea I only get one...LOL. The break down of my grow cabinet. It's an old computer hutch that was transformed. It is perfect for my needs of just wanting a hobby and it gives me meds for my wife...assuming I'm successful...LOL. The area I'm currently working with is no more then 5sqft and could squeeze another 2sqft out of it if I tried real hard by removing the upper cubbies...which I plan on doing for my next grow and when I decide on the light sets. That gives me 7.31sqft to work with. With that little area anything above 400watts would burn my plants. Agreed? Wouldn't a 3watt system like the ReflectorSeries be better suited? And could you please break down the difference and benifits of LED, HPS and CFL bulbs. I believe from what I could find online my bulbs are 50 watts each with a spectrum of 2700? Not even sure what the hell that means but someone else gave me that last bit of information.
IMG_0718_598x800_.jpg

And lastly, based on the pics of my little gurl (better be), I'm already thinking of the next stage for her. Namely sexing and then hopefully pruning, and training. Assuming she's a gurl when can I begin cutting the lower fan leaves?

My internodes are short...the area between the nodes. The "Stiplues can now be seen clearly with my mag glass and the lateral branches have made their way out. I will grow to 16" and begin flowering and blooming. And hopefully by then my SOG will be nice and full.
IMG_0714_800x598_.jpg

Annndddd.....i'm finally able to introduce my trellis...yea...LOL.
IMG_0715_800x598_.jpg

IMG_0716_800x598_.jpg

So in closing...LOL. Whatcha think?

Comments and suggestions are of course welcomed.

I am really new at this but your large leafs are they under developed? I am trying to learn how to recognize early signs of possible issues in my grow. I think your plant looks nice and green :cheer:

Cronic,

Yea it's crazy but wanted to give this a go have some fun and hone my skills. SCOG for sure with the next grow and super cropping/topping them to being just bushes.

Begin practicing with the topping technic now.

So you've mentioned 1st work, super crop and 2-3 times in size when it starts to bloom. Define "1st work" please. Don't answer this question yet. I'm cruzin the boards and may find the answer before the night is out. I've already heard the term super crop and understand it to mean, cropping all the tops forcing new growth from the lateral branches? Not cutting but bending. Still learning here guys so be patient...lol. And can't I still do the super cropping and still put the trellis in after I bend the tops over?

However is there a term for actually cutting the tops thus creating new growth thus creating a more bushier plant? Yes this would take more overall time in the grow but it should give me multiple tops when I do flower and bloom right? Yes...it's called "Topping"...lol. Another lesson...lol.

New understanding of super cropping...lol. A group of technics which include crimping, bending, tying and topping. Topping is the best method for my situation.

The more I read the more conflicted I am but I'm settling on the "Topping" technic. Since this is just practice and since I don't really have enough height, I may just do some sort of super cropping technic instead of training. Because I don't think I'll have enough room to pull her over. And with this rate of growth I don't think I'll waist time sex'ing either. I'll just practice through and find out the sex when I cut back the lights. Was gonna abandon this grow when all my seeds arrived anyway. And I only buy/bought fem's. And I already have my old White Willow seeds in the frig. My plans for the next grow are already in motion (well in my head anyway).

So "Topping"...it is...and always subject to change...lol. I'll put the trellis back in at mid to 3/4 height so as to leave enough room for the flowering and blooming stage.

Already tonight I've edited this post 4 times. I've gone from training to super cropping to topping...lol.

Gonna go back to cruzin the boards for more info and suggestions.

Have a good evening.

Renegade69
Sorry I am filling up your page :circle-of-love: I totally understand about the flood of information. It is hard to figure out what to do and not. I really like the 420 site compared to some of the crap I read in other places. My first grow was a mess. I had to much info and tried it all. So! happy I ended up here :)

Awesome haircut my friend, great going indeed! :)

So, For a LST and scog you keep the plant under the net? I am going to be using wire as soon as I can get the other plants out. So much info

Sorry I am filling up your page :circle-of-love: I totally understand about the flood of information. It is hard to figure out what to do and not. I really like the 420 site compared to some of the crap I read in other places. My first grow was a mess. I had to much info and tried it all. So! happy I ended up here :)

Lady,

Don't feel bad about filling my page with MY crap....LOL. It was long winded and really just talking out loud.

I've learned soooo much from the SME's here on 420 and am already a better grower because of it. All are welcome to give advise...novice and pro alike. We all have something to share.

And OBTW....regarding my questions above....I've change from what I was saying to doing a combo of LST and topping with my AG. The next grow will include a StealthHydro's BubblePhonics6 and TopLed's Reflector Series LED. That's how much I've changed...LOL.

Join the fun it promises to be a bumpy ride...LOL.

Renegade

So, For a LST and scog you keep the plant under the net? I am going to be using wire as soon as I can get the other plants out. So much info

Lady,

SCROG is a method of creating a field of green (somewhere in the initials). Don't put the net in right away. Wait just before she reaches your "X" expected height. Then put net in and let all the "Colas" grow into and above the net. My suggestion is to check out Light's and Teldren's SCROG journals. They'res are the best example of SCROG I've seen. Not that others aren't out there but I am no longer looking at anyone else's. And both play by play make it easy to follow along.

And I appoligze I'm just seeing a few of your other questions. I'll try and address but will always defer to the SME's for correction.

Renegade.

I am really new at this but your large leafs are they under developed? I am trying to learn how to recognize early signs of possible issues in my grow. I think your plant looks nice and green :cheer:

Lady,

Not under developed at all. What I'm finding out is the various different strains and pheno's (I think that's correct) they will look different. That was only week 3 and I was questioning why she looked like a beast. I was calmed by others and proceeded on. By the way the introduction of the trellis (netting) was too early and I have since removed it. See my reply to one of your post as to when to introduce the netting. And as always one of my favorite SME's provided some input.

Renegade

Lady,

SCROG is a method of creating a field of green (somewhere in the initials). Don't put the net in right away. Wait just before she reaches your "X" expected height. Then put net in and let all the "Colas" grow into and above the net. My suggestion is to check out Light's and Teldren's SCROG journals. They'res are the best example of SCROG I've seen. Not that others aren't out there but I am no longer looking at anyone else's. And both play by play make it easy to follow along.

And I appoligze I'm just seeing a few of your other questions. I'll try and address but will always defer to the SME's for correction.

Renegade.

I don't know what SME is? I am going to switch to wire after I get my plants into 10 gal pots and was thinking about a two or three week training then going to 12/12. My goal is 200 colas. But for 10 plants it should not be that difficult. Ill go for more if I have the room. My tent is 4x8. Thank you for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom