AeroGarden Part Two - Featuring TopLED Reflector Series 96x3w

Thanks King... Gonna make that adjustment on the next res change out.

Is this a result of only one plant feeding out of the res? Things should be different as I add more plants to the grow right? The more plants to more the nute's get used up?

Renegade

No, the rate that your plant can uptake and use nutrients currently is being exceeded slightly. As your plant grows it should be able to handle a higher ppm nutrient strength without a nutrient burn. Usually a ppm meter is used with a Deep Water Culture or hydroponic/aeroponic growing to monitor the nutrient strength.

No, the rate that your plant can uptake and use nutrients currently is being exceeded slightly. As your plant grows it should be able to handle a higher ppm nutrient strength without a nutrient burn. Usually a ppm meter is used with a Deep Water Culture or hydroponic/aeroponic growing to monitor the nutrient strength.

King,

Good morning Sir....

"Slightly", is correct since it was only a few tips. Just wanted to ask now when it pop'd up. Adjustment to nutes not necessary at this time...cool. She's finally growing out of control since topping her.

I'm on track with what I'm doing. Yes, I check the PPM and PH every time I change out my res. PPM is always well above 1k and never drops below that at change out. I wasn't worried since I assumed the plant was only taking what it needed. I using the TDS digital series meters for testing.

I'll use straight water in between change outs if it pops up again.

I'm also thinking that since the PPM never drops below 1K I could even do my change outs every other week instead of weekly. And just test PPM in between weeks.

Input?

Renegade

Subbed! This makes me want to pull out the Aerogarden and ask SweetLeef to bring me a little clone of my own! I was up half the night reading LA's grow journals and there you were. Thanks for sharing the process, this is very cool! :thanks:

When you say strait water is that ph adjusted? Learning :)

Lady V., that's just my ignorance to doing it properly. PPM=nutrients. Me adding just tap or distilled in between changing out nutrients if I get nute burn again. However going forward I may not need to since she's at the end of week 4, she's been topped and is growing like a beast. I may not need to adjust her feeding at all.

Hope that helps and welcome aboard. With all the help here on 420 I can't loose.

Renegade

Magic and Lady V, welcome aboard...

Think of the AG as a little hydro unit. Not DWC, in fact that may be an issue with multiple plants. That res will get crowded. I'll take pics of the roots on Wednesday when I change out the nutes.

Check out my completed guide and read through this one from the beginning to here. I've ironed out the small issues I'm finding.

Renegade

Subbed! This makes me want to pull out the Aerogarden and ask SweetLeef to bring me a little clone of my own! I was up half the night reading LA's grow journals and there you were. Thanks for sharing the process, this is very cool! :thanks:

Welcome Magic...hopefully you will get something out of my experiment.

Renegade

25 Feb 14, Tuesday

Week 4, Day 7, 8 Day of LST and 3rd Day of Topping

All is well...period!!

I want to update my journal this far because I've gained some interest in my experiment with the AG.

At the end of the 4th week this is what we've learned when attempting to grow with the AG.

First and foremost it can be done. So I throw my nose up to those doubting Thomas's who said it couldn't be. Period hands down it can...nuff said.

1. Don't use the nutrients that come with the AG. I believe that's what failed me in my first attempt. It's the only thing that I've changed from the first attempt. I say the only thing because I never got past the sprout stage. Once the seeds pop'd they died off. Other than that, treat it like a very small drip hydro unit. I say "Drip" because I don't know the name of the style that provides constant water to the pod.

It cannot be treated like a DWC because it's just barely a 1 gallon reservoir. This will be a problem when you try to introduce multiple plants. I have the old Pro100. The only other modifications I did to the AG was to add an air stone. Purchased from the local pet store. So we have a "drip" unit with aerated water. Perfect you say...not so fast...LOL.

2. To date I've learned that PH, PPM, nutrients, air temp, res temp (which I'm still fighting), air flow, light schedule, nute burn, root rot all have an adverse affect on your plant. Control ALL of them and you will be successful. Due to my OCD personality I was able to stay on top of most of them and thus far have been successful in doing so.

3. Turning back the lights with the AG will be difficult because you will have manually turn them off once you are in 24 hour clock as I did.

To combat that I used my timer. The only problem with that is when the timer shuts the light off it also shuts the pump off. The AG only has one power input source and it controls both the lights and the pump. You could try and go with the pre-programmed settings the AG has but it won't meet your needs for growing. You can give it a go and let us all know how it turns out.

3. And I've learn the art of LST. Various styles of training your plant in a way so as to provide multiple bud sites which should (remains to be seen for the AG) provide multiple cola sites. LST requires some serious attention so if you don't have patience (I don't...LOL) don't do LST. But I have to tell you, the AG is best suited for LST since all of its light comes from above. Unless of course you add some sort of light panels on the side walls of your grow area (I recommend LED's, it's the new Black...LOL). I have her tied down in every direction it ain't even funny...LOL...well just a bit. Light's example of LST (although extreme in the beginning...his own words) are by far, hands down the best...and I do mean the best example of what can be accomplish with a little patience and a lot of string. Don't take my word for it just ask all the other SME's that have flocked over to his journals for some lessons and to just drool over his pic's. I'm gettin high just doing so...LOL.

4. I would not be doing my job if I didn't mention SCROG or SOG. Either one you choose will give you that blanket of green we all hope to achieve. All of us except Teldron who seems to have NAILED IT....LOL.

I can't wait to get to the end of this grow not so much because I want to taste the fruits of my labor but so that I can move on to grow #3. LED's and BubblePhonics6. Based on everything I've learned it promises to be a hell-of-a ride (wife permitting that is...LOL)

If you're not surfing 420 for advise and answers then you're missing out. I've gone from a user to a grower (still remains to be seen) all because I not only read, read and read some more but I also asked a lot of questions...LOL. Sorry guys but I had to know.

So you AG guys hoping to have a little (and I do mean a little) fun then it is possible to do so with the AG. My guess you'll be like me and get bored and want to graduate to something bigger.

This grow is by no means complete. I'm only in week 5 (Wednesday) but I wanted to update my journal this far because of the new AG guys and gurls that have sub'd my progress.

Shall we go on??? Dam right...LOL.

So i'm cutting back (2nd day now) on my lights. Going with an 18/6 for now. Lights out at midnight and back on at 0600. Will continue down this path till weeks 8 or 9. And then if I'm successful cutting back for bloom.

Wish me luck...

Renegade

Gooooood Morning 420....

So as I'm preparing to go off and do my daily grind I was reading thru my post from last night and felt like I didn't mention some of the others that have given me some solid advice. Rep's were given to everyone that gave solid advice. No one was asking for prop's but I do get help from a whole lot of people here on 420 and they deserve their recognition for helping.

First the entire 420 community. Without their continued support we wouldn't have a place where we all could come together and share our experiences.

Cronic, King, Blazin, Brassic amount others and of course lastly (only because I've already mentioned them) Light and Teldren

Everyone have a great Weeeeeeeednsday...LOL.

Renegade

I'm also thinking that since the PPM never drops below 1K I could even do my change outs every other week instead of weekly. And just test PPM in between weeks.

Input?

Renegade

Usually a hydroponic systems reservoir is changed out every 7-10 days. You could also use the add back method of adding pH adjusted water only to replenish the lowered reservoir level.

Usually a hydroponic systems reservoir is changed out every 7-10 days. You could also use the add back method of adding pH adjusted water only to replenish the lowered reservoir level.

King,

Explain the "Add back method". From what I'm reading it's not a good idea to add any adjusters directly to your res.

Renegade

26 Feb 14, Wednesday

Week 5, Day 1, 9 Day of LST and 4th Day of Topping, 3rd day of 18/6

Folded back several leafs last night. Plant looks good. Light schedule seems to agree with her.

Nutrient change out. Will post readings as I go thru the process.

PPM of res water=976

PH of res water=6.3

Temp of res water=80

PPM of distilled before nutes=114

PH of distilled before nutes=8.1

Temp if distilled before nutes=71

PPM after nutes added=984

PM after nutes added=6.4, after PH balance added, up to 7.1 then down to 6.0

Temp after nutes added=68

Air temp and humidity are locked in. Averages are low 80's for temp and mid 50's for humidity.

Folded back some more leaves tonight. I will cut her loose from her string and cut back the opposite laterals this weekend. Training is over for this grow and it's time to let her grow.

Renegade

As promised...this is what the roots look like in between res change out.
IMG_0771_800x598_.jpg
IMG_0770_800x598_.jpg

And this is what she looks like at the beginning of week 5
IMG_0772_800x598_.jpg

the rate of speed for nutrient uptake would depend on each individual plant
and it uptakes it through its roots and depending on where the ph is what it will intake the most
Happy Weednsday Renegade :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom