AK47 Serious Seeds - First Grow - CFL - Soil

Beautiful plants. I am not so sure about switching up lights. Have you considered LED as a supplement?
Hey Buckshot :)

I have considered it but at the moment I do not have the space or the money for LEDs ha ha they also don't produce any UV light :)

:peace:

Yeah I dont think i would switch up the lights like that....get a few daylight CFLs to supplement the HPS with if you want to.
Hey LighTer :)

Is there any particular reason that you wouldn't switch up the lights ?

MH produces a lot of UV so I can only see it being beneficial for resin production. I am willing to sacrifice some Quantity for Quality ha ha

I have 3 125w blue CFLs, I wanted to have at least 1 of them in the box with the HPS but there just isn't the room in there this time round.

Hey LighTer :)

Is there any particular reason that you wouldn't switch up the lights ?

MH produces a lot of UV so I can only see it being beneficial for resin production. I am willing to sacrifice some Quantity for Quality ha ha

I have 3 125w blue CFLs, I wanted to have at least 1 of them in the box with the HPS but there just isn't the room in there this time round.

So my thought process leads me to believe switching out the type of light every 2 days then 1 day would cause stress to the plant. One day its getting one spectrum thinking it should flower and then the next day its getting a heavy white/blue spectrum and will use a lot for the plant to grow. Technically its 12/12 that defines flowering, and doing 2 days hps 1 day mh shouldn't affect that aspect of it, but I would be concerned for causing a hermie from the stress. I am not saying that it is what WILL happen or even might happen, but that would be my concern.

My advice: Don't fix something if it ain't broken.

So my thought process leads me to believe switching out the type of light every 2 days then 1 day would cause stress to the plant. One day its getting one spectrum thinking it should flower and then the next day its getting a heavy white/blue spectrum and will use a lot for the plant to grow. Technically its 12/12 that defines flowering, and doing 2 days hps 1 day mh shouldn't affect that aspect of it, but I would be concerned for causing a hermie from the stress. I am not saying that it is what WILL happen or even might happen, but that would be my concern.

My advice: Don't fix something if it ain't broken.

That is actually very sound reasoning :)

The main thing I had thought was that spectrum colour does not decide weather a plant flowers as the spectrum of light varies extremely around the globe, it is purely based on the hours in a day. I was thinking that in the wild a plant gets a mix of spectrum's throughout the day and on different levels per day based on clouds, rain etc. so I did not think that switching it would cause any sort of problem but I can understand your concern for hermaphroditism with sudden switches back and forth.
Hmmmm you have changed my mind I am going to take your point into consideration and change my plan :thumb: but I have an incredible desire to get blue and UV light onto those plants for flower as it is guaranteed to increase potency and resin production.

I think I might use the HPS right up until the last 1-2 weeks for mass building and then for the last 1-2 weeks I will Supplement the plants with a little MH as there should be no more concerns that late into flower :)

The UVB bulb is going to be added next week, as it is only a small CFL it should be easy to fit in the box and move around every day to make sure all the tops are getting a nice blast of UVB :)

Thanks for your help LighTer :)

Sounds like an excellent plan GreenFingers!

Hey Smokemupm8 nice to see you joining in :)

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement it is much appreciated :)

If you are going to grow her to 4ft during Veg would you not expect her to stretch to at least 6ft or 7 ft considering she should have nearly doubled in size by the end of flower ?

So far these girls have stretched from about 6" to about 18" and I'm hoping they don't stretch any further because I'm running out of space fast :hmmmm: ha ha

I just had a look at the plants on your thread, you seem to be doing a really good job, they look super healthy :thumb:
Ill be keeping up to date with your thread :)

Well mate, this is the what im going with ok.. If i veg her til close to 4ft - and i only get say 1.5ft of total stretch to all shoots, she may JUST get close to 7/8oz.. Im not sure she will double in height, as this would mean over 14 braches about 7ft!!! Shit bro, id pull a mad harvest:)
If she doubles id be stoked, i have just enough space for a 6-7ft plant.. So STRETCH BABY!!!Lol..
Thank you for your positive optimism - i hope i can live up to my expectations!!
Anyways buddy, i gotta set up Cindy s barrier wire at the front.. She s got some small branches growing out and i need em growin up!
Be cool, chat soon. SMokemup..

Thanks BudMachine I'm delighted that you are enjoying the grow so far and quite flattered that this journal inspired you to join the site :)

I hope you feel right at home, you are very welcome :)

Please feel free to join in or ask any questions if you have them, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge :thumb:

There are a lot of very inspirational grows / growers on this site and most if not all will be more than willing to help you out :)

Great to have you along for the ride, I hope that we see a journal from you at some stage if you ever decide to embark on a grow :)

I am also going to be adding a single 10.0 , 26w , UVB CFL bulb to increase THC content, as many scientific reports have stated that Cannabis develops trichomes and THC to act as a sunscreen from harsh UV light in the wild.

Plants are looking fantastic! Good information about uvb, and even better timing, just started wk6 and one will be added tomorrow!
:high-five:

Isn't it good to see the beginnings of trichs catching the light in your last photos! Very satisfying!
:hookah:

looking great man wow there packing on oz's!
Hey geturgrowon :)

I know, they are fattening up so much faster than I expected,

I'm really curious as to what sort of yield each cola will produce in the end, there are about 25 - 30 of them together in the box.

I was assuming that they would probably yield an average of maybe about 7g each considering their size but that would mean the yield would be over 7oz altogether from my little box which I don't think is too possible ha ha it seems like way too much :hmmmm:

Do you or anybody else reading this want to take an early guestimate at the average weight per top ? :) It would be interesting to see what people have to say from experience or otherwise :)
Thanks for the complements :thumb:

Plants are looking fantastic! Good information about uvb, and even better timing, just started wk6 and one will be added tomorrow!
:high-five:

Isn’t it good to see the beginnings of trichs catching the light in your last photos! Very satisfying!
:hookah:
Hey ajagunle :)

Sweet :) I'm glad that information was helpful and you caught it just in time ha ha any pet shop should stock UVB lights, they are for reptile terrariums.

I would advise you to get the strongest one you can but make sure that the bulb is NOT an incandescent UVB bulb as these are for producing heat along with the UVB and you dont want that ha ha Make sure you get a CFL version, they dont produce any heat and are perfect for the job, the strongest one that i know of is made by Exo-Terra and it is a 23w 10.0 CFL.

Make sure that you move the bulb around from day to day as you don't want your plants to get sunburned :thedoubletake: ha ha

Oh and DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE LIGHT its bad for your eyes :) ha ha

Here is a really interesting Video about Cannabis and UVB I think everybody should find this quite informative :)

[video=youtube;lfiI78uN3Ks]
[/video]

Holy shit GF, this grow is amazing!! You clearly do your research and put the time into making everything look quality. Man, I really want to go trash my plants and grow area and start over after seeing this, lol. Definitely subbed and +rep for you.

Welcome to this grow Amsterdam28 :)

I do my best :) ha ha This grow has been planned for a Very Very long time :p I drew up plans and designs over a year ago as at the time the grow was not plausable but the plans were constantly tweaked and changed throughout the year, hell it's still being tweaked now ha ha so when the opportunity finally came that a grow was possible I hit the ground running :) ha ha

I'm happy you're along for the ride and greatly appreciate the +Rep and complements :Namaste:

Looking good bro. I think you see things the way I do. If your going to do something, might as well do it right! I was reading about your lighting, and was wondering if you could tell me the color temp on the Kelvin scale of your HPS. I am using the Hortilux super HPS enhanced spectrum. Found them on amazon for 80 a pop for the 600W. I think they are around 4000K. Also what kind of wavelength are you looking for for the UVB light? 300? Keep it up, may the sensi god be with you.

Hi mate,
Yeah its the fun part of the grow ay! Well one of the most rewarding feelings, to see the buds growing bigger and you getting rewarded for your work and care:) So hope they continue to swell for ya buddy and yeah you should be happy with your weed!!
Later mate, Smokem..:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom