AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

Or remove the males to a window sill until they mature then pollinate by hand.

When all your windows are visible to the neighbors, one cannot put cannabis on a windowsill. Not much distance between the mobile homes in THIS park! Plus, I'd rather keep the pollen contained in the tent. I have hay fever, and pollen of any kind makes me miserable.

in addition: AK MJ laws require that the grow be hidden from passersby or neighbors, mostly to discourage a home invasion. (Why buy your supply from a drug dealer, when you can rip off the old lady growing her own? (sarcasm) )

Anyway, I moved the female next to the males and snuggled her branches into the male canopy, and moved the Afghani to the left corner, in a transparent bag. Not going for sensimilla buds this time, obviously. Just need to build up a supply of Harley seeds.

Harley is the only CBD strain I have, so is worth sacrificing a crop of buds to build up a supply of seeds.

Waste not want not: I have been harvesting the lower male leaves and pods for cooking herbs and tinctures, and leaving the topmost pods to mature. The Harley lady and the Afghani also got the lower third trimmed out, since they are getting shaded out by the canopy.

Newbies: You don't want to indiscriminately remove leaves and branches. You remove those that do not get light anymore, those from the interior of the plants that shade good bud sites, and of course, those mini branches that don't have time to grow up into the canopy. These min-branches only divert energy from the developing buds in the canopy. Harvest them early on after the switch to 12/12.

:green_heart:

Ah... I am so glad you are journaling finally. Your plants are looking great!

If you want to get that Male pollen I showed ya once how to do get that in the same tent. It is simple. Can't count how many times I done it. No issues. I was taught by a scientist how to gather.

Let me know if ya wants a reminder.

So glad yer posting a journal though.

Peace.

Ah... I am so glad you are journaling finally. Your plants are looking great!

If you want to get that Male pollen I showed ya once how to do get that in the same tent. It is simple. Can't count how many times I done it. No issues. I was taught by a scientist how to gather.

Let me know if ya wants a reminder.

So glad yer posting a journal though.

Peace.

Please send me a reminder! The pods are getting bigger, and the aliens inside them are trying to get out and face-hug anything they can reach!

There is a spot in my journal on it. I will find it later...there is a process and you skipped it all but you can do it still.

Sandwich bag and twist ties.

First off you prun the boy small and keep only fan leaves cut on one side branch. Each day you pinch off all the Male parts but a few at the ends on branches. Shouldn't be many left after pruning. You can lightly damage the sex sites daily to prevent new growth.

On the one arm you choose to use top it and remove all the fan leaves. Bag and tie up one node. The more leaves you have in there the more it transpires and can ruin it.

Run it stressed but not deficient and dry so it doesn't transpire much. Ripen the one or two sets of nodes...preferably 1 node per bag not like I did below.

You will get to learn how rough these really are beating up these boys. Lots of intentional stunting and abuse to get it to harvest perfect. But easy to do sloppy. As in you can be sloppy and still get good results.

TY, VI! I've done part of this procedure over the last couple years, but it's good to be reminded that pruning down the males will make them easier to handle. Plus, the male produces far more pollen than we would ever need. Those pods can go into the leaf bin for cooking herbs. :hug:

I can poke holes in the top of the baggies to help vent condensation.

Holes work but make a mess in the process as you go. You are correct it isnt that big a deal. Honestly just needs to force it to fall into sumtin. I do the way I was shown as it works and is cheap and those are like all that matter really. Put it in the corner out of the wind.

I often don't tie it off till I think it is the last day and that helps a lot with the trimming it constantly. But I have missed it and they opened in a wet bag and meh you can try again with it...it is canabis...it keeps growing. Again if you do it right there is a lot of plant left there still so it will recover.

But that is the one thing to worry about is the transpiration.

Good luck!

Got the 2 males trimmed out and bagged as per your instructions. I think the pods will open up before new leaflets form at the tips. I saw one bunch all filled out and hanging from their stems.

Collecting the pollen now is the only way I'll be able to get seeds, since the females have just begun to show pistils. I don't expect the flowers to be ready for another month. These males are very sturdy, with thick stems. You are right, VI: there is plenty more growth in the males, should this collection get wet.

It is worth trying just to learn about males and then you get to say... I know how to collect pollen in a bloom tent.

Like making tea... everyone should try it once so they got it in the bag. No pun intended.

Oh hey by the way...what did you just pollinate and what stock do you have?

Do you have a breeding program identified? Are you just making seeds?

If you are doing a controlled thing I would love to hear about it.

Oh hey by the way...what did you just pollinate and what stock do you have?

Do you have a breeding program identified? Are you just making seeds?

If you are doing a controlled thing I would love to hear about it.

WOO: this is gonna be a long one. I started making seeds by accident when I first started growing, then I did it on purpose so I would not have to buy any more seeds. This is my stock. I have at least 75 and up to several hundred of some strains: Most of these were planned. They are stored in small beading jars with the screw-top, and I store them in the bottom back corner of my fridge to keep them cool.

From 2016:

*Bubblelicious, originally regulars from Nirvana Seeds. The phenotype is all over the place and not stable at all, and Nirvana doesn't sell regular BBLs anymore because of it. Just fems.

From 2017:

*Two different crosses of mystery sativas from Nirvana Seeds (came with the original BBL seed order).
*AK 48 x mystery Sativas
*AK47 x Durban Poison - (from a gift of a few seeds from a Special Lady, grown out and bred)
*Polar Express Auto x White Castle or mystery Sativa (The mother did not grow like an auto, so I don't expect any Ruderalis genes to express themselves.)
*AK 47 x Durban Poison crossed with White Castle male (AKDC47)
*Jock Horror AF (2 seeds left from a purchase) (might cross breed with an Afghani)
*Autoberry Fem (4 seeds left from a purchase)(might cross breed with an Afghani or BBL)

From 2018:

*AKDC47 x ATF (you aint an Alaskan until you've grown Alaska Thunderfuck!)
*Afghani (landrace) (good for crossing with fems and autos)
*ATF (2 beading containers full of very dark brown seeds!)
*Clementine orange seeds, freebies from the grocery (4 seeds) Might actually try to grow these indoors someday.

CURRENT GROW - eta Feb 2019

Hoping for 75 - 100 Harlequin seeds, plus the Afghani is female, so she will probably get a dose. Harley is all landraces, so the addition of female Afghani to the cross will make the stems even more hearty than they are now. The aforementioned Medicine Woman send me a few Harley seeds, only 3 of which thrived and only got one female. So I had no choice but to breed them.

:yummy:

You need a table in a spreadsheet.

Sounds like you have been loose cannon a bit with untamed stock. But there are 2 land races and a few stable lines there.

The breeder in me wants to say...

Line breed the 2 land race to give yourself plenty and use from for you crosses and breed stock. F1s from those 2 will be great likely. And consistent.

Nice though... was getting worried at first with all the F1s and unstable lines you have there.

I have to use what I have on hand, VI. It's the reason I bred so many Afghani seeds. it is a sturdy, vigorous, easy to grow landrace.

Now, when I decide to breed them, I look at the ancestry of the strain I want to reproduce for something I have on hand.

The casual crosses happened when I didn't have enough room to separate out the males and collect pollen, or I was not careful with spreading pollen around, or I was growing out more than one strain in the same unit. Merlin the cat also likes to wander in and out of the grow units. So I have learned to grow just the one strain when breeding. There wont be anymore really strange crosses.

The AK47 x DP cross I inbred, was with the hope that I can extract the Durban Poison landrace from it someday. This was a gift from our medicine Woman, and the seeds I grew out were pretty uniform. The smokers loved it, too. A Pipe dream I'll never achieve. :-(

Since the BBL is unstable, I'll cross the Autoberry fem with a male Afghani. it is the only fruity strain on hand, besides the BBL. My family DID enjoy the BBL, but it was always sick, always infested with mites, had weak stems, and had a number of phenotypes. Nirvana didn't develop that strain very well.

LESSON LEARNED: Grow one strain at a time when inbreeding.

:reading420magazine:

VI: I tried the plastic baggie thingy and ended up with a lot of condensation. So I came up with an alternative. I have the air perfectly still in the unit, and I can just tap the pods to drop the pollen into the tray.

Bravo...but... if you wanna go that route

Like clones they go a while after being cut. Many times I have gone in that day before I think it is ready and bag it and cut the branch off and removed it from the room bagged.

It will finish off those pods and open them up and you dont have to deal with trimming back all those leaves and drying out the soil. I find that sloppy. But I get sloppy all the time. Ot gets the job done.

I dont like to reduce my fans.

The key period is cut it down to 2 or 4 sites you can monitor and that is all there is to it.

Success is all that matters really.

Congrats...and I think too missunderstand my thought on your landrace strains but it truly is of 0 relevance.

:Namaste::goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom