AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

the least amt of moisture will force the pollen to "sprout" microscopically. In pollination, the "root" of the pollen navigates down the calyx to the seed to fertilize it. So it really needs to be stored with some kind of desiccant like a few rice grains or a pinch of flour.

a very frightened kittey cat, who has never been in a major quake.

I think I might have been too freaked out to calm a frightened cat!
:passitleft:

Have you been in a major quake? I've only experienced little shakers, I can't imagine one as big as this was, not to mention the unnerving aftershocks.

I think I might have been too freaked out to calm a frightened cat!
:passitleft:

Have you been in a major quake? I've only experienced little shakers, I can't imagine one as big as this was, not to mention the unnerving aftershocks.

As a kid growing up in Reno, NV, we had quakes from the early underground nuclear bomb testing. The first year I moved to Fairbanks, Alaska in 1967, we had a major quake centered on Badger Road, which is just South of Fairbanks, then in the fall we had a 100-year flood. Double whammy that year!

Since moving to Alaska, I've experienced at least four major quakes and small temblors almost weekly, esp since I now live so close to the Pacific plate. One tends to lose track after 50 years in one of the most seismically active places in the world.

Major issues for me is hoping the trailer stays on its foundation and possible natural gas leaks.

According to Harley info sheets, it is ready to harvest 8 weeks after the switch. In my experience, breeding speeds that up a tad, but not all that much if you let the seeds dry on the stem. So ETA is Jan 11.

My tray method of collecting pollen is doing it's job, but it sure aint containing the pollen that floats away. Good thing the only two ladies I have in the unit are a Harley and an Afghani!

I think our aftershocks are shaking the air around.......

Since moving to Alaska, I've experienced at least four major quakes and small temblors almost weekly, esp since I now live so close to the Pacific plate. One tends to lose track after 50 years in one of the most seismically active places in the world.

I've read that New Zealand is like that.

I've read that New Zealand is like that.

So is Iceland, with an active fissure dividing the country into 2 parts.

wooooo... speak of the devil. Just had another aftershock.

Let's hope there's no more big ones for awhile.

We keep hoping, but some of the larger aftershocks are real close to the original epicenter, which is only 10 miles from us.

We just got a new coworker here and everyone has him all scared about the big one we are over do for out here. The tsunami may wipe out Portland. The state is not prepared at all. I keep thinking yours is going to make ours break.

Re: the new coworker: That is SO cruel!!! LOL!

Both of us live near the Pacific tectonic plate, and anything major along THAT fault could very well work its way down the coast. This pattern of quakes indicates a secondary fault line across the inlet that is not shown on USGS maps. West of the fault, I don't feel the smaller aftershocks. But to the East, I feel everything above 2.0. :-(

We get them every few minutes around the clock. Many of us are nervous wrecks, even if we're not up-front afraid. It's subliminal stress and hyper vigilance that wears one out. I take a lot of naps.

Question for those who breed cannabis: I pollinated the ladies early, when the flowers were just starting to look like flowers. Was that too early? Should I re-apply pollen?

Well not enough info but likely you are fine.

Too early for what?

On a big enough plant it won't make a difference if you did a single or very few flowers. Those flowers will make mature seeds that sit there the rest if summer. The rest of the plant keeps flowering.

The only issue is if you seed the whole thing...where it is pollinated it stops flowering and goes to the next stage of growth. But not the whole plant unless it is small AND that is what you do. So if you do a lot of the plant if says ok lets do this. But if you do a small portion it will keep going. And early is nice because they ripen and get big and fat. You have seen small little undersized seeds and big fat ones. I like em big and round.

People worry about pollen so much but the issue is if it gets free...otherwise you are fine.

Well not enough info but likely you are fine.

Too early for what?

On a big enough plant it won't make a difference if you did a single or very few flowers. Those flowers will make mature seeds that sit there the rest if summer. The rest of the plant keeps flowering.

The only issue is if you seed the whole thing...where it is pollinated it stops flowering and goes to the next stage of growth. But not the whole plant unless it is small AND that is what you do. So if you do a lot of the plant if says ok lets do this. But if you do a small portion it will keep going. And early is nice because they ripen and get big and fat. You have seen small little undersized seeds and big fat ones. I like em big and round.

People worry about pollen so much but the issue is if it gets free...otherwise you are fine.

Too early for the pollen to take.

This grow was intended to increase my seed stock. The next time, I'll do a proper grow and grind up the males as soon as they show.

So after I posted I thought you might mean that...so the pistils will work right away...the issue is flower size...did you get enough. I pollinate a decent size flower. But other than that they should sit there in the pods undisturbed and wait. I mean I dont really know how small and miniature a flower you pollinated but...if it doesn't take just do another... you will know fast. If it takes the flower will shrivel up a bit...you will know. It won't ripen as we normally see.

Perfection is not possible. And nature has evolved to deal with it.

Question for those who breed cannabis: I pollinated the ladies early, when the flowers were just starting to look like flowers. Was that too early? Should I re-apply pollen?
Would be cheap insurance if you have pollen ready.

We get them every few minutes around the clock. Many of us are nervous wrecks, even if we're not up-front afraid. It's subliminal stress and hyper vigilance that wears one out. I take a lot of naps.

That must suck (maybe you should have left the wheels on your home - aren't there leaf springs attached to the axles of mobile homes?). And, yes, be a wee bit frightening at times, if you have natural gas or propane.

And undoubtedly highly annoying all the time. Actually... I live in a regular house, but there seems to be a significant space under my basement that's basically a void filled with water, so every time a large truck rumbles past on the highway (<1/4 mile away), everything vibrates - and if it's a fully-loaded tractor & trailer, it actually wakes me up (but I sleep on the floor, most nights). All my shelves now have "borders" (raised edges I tacked on to keep items on the shelves), lol. THIS is annoying - because every jolt and vibration is caused by a person's activity.

Yours is (at least directly) caused by the land, itself. I guess that would very quickly pass mere "annoying" and, yes, reach stressful and even frightening.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how much "lubrication" all the oil in the ground up there has historically provided, if it has served to dampen the apparent magnitude of the earthquakes... and if they have gotten worse in severity (or frequency) in the decades since people first began pumping crude out of the ground in Alaska?

Everywhere, it's something. We have many decades' worth of chemical plants and factories polluting everything, you have earthquakes, so does California, the coastal regions have hurricanes, the midwest has tornadoes, New York City has way too many <BLEEPING> people... One of these days, the Yellowstone caldera will blow and the ~30% of people who are left afterwards will consider themselves to be lucky, maybe, IDK.

Want more seeds, lol? If there are still white/yellow/non-red pistils evident, then there are still unpollinated female flowers that you can dust for even more of them.

Back
Top Bottom