Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Hey Amy that was from internet images but calcium and magnesium almost have the same symptoms . As you can see how about your magnesium intake is your ph in range. Here is a chart for calcium magnesium uptake
420-magazine-mobile117668410.jpg
note one for hydro one for soil

Hey Amy that was from internet images but calcium and magnesium almost have the same symptoms . As you can see how about your magnesium intake is your ph in range. Here is a chart for calcium magnesium uptake
420-magazine-mobile117668410.jpg
note one for hydro one for soil

Thanks Joe - that pic you included in your previous post was for manganese tho (Mn), just sayin ;)

That confused me at first, but I know what you're saying. . There is definitely a Mn deficiency spot on one leaf.

Thanks for that chart. I can see from it that I don't have a PH problem. . Can you link me to that post on 420 where you got it? Then I could get a better version of the chart/file.

Hey Amy, you've got a good crew helping out here.

I would underline what sue said about taking time between adjustments, and DOUBLE underline that better soil/bigger pots will make a huge difference.

I understand these deficiencies look scary, but the actual life of your plants are not endangered - they are months away from dying if you make no changes.

On the other hand, It is good to keep them in near optimal help, it really helps the yield when it comes time to flower

You are in the zone between near perfect and might reduce your harvest if you don't get it fixed - Keep doing well :)

Hey Amy , I actually screenshot most of my finds then put in a file then I try to organize pest veg lights categories. Sorry incant link ya up. Good that we got ph pout of way . It is true about environment dial it in environment can stress a plant as well . just thinking out loud here .

Hiya, Amy.
This is a response to post # 113, which i can't quote in bits (cause idk how to on my tiny screened phone).
* seedling mix has been "gently" fertilised (if that makes sense) in order not to burn baby rootlings. Cannabis can be a tad fussy when it comes to feeding seedlings, depending on the strain (my 100% landrace sativas throw enormous tantrums when chemicals touch them, hence the micro-composting & full out organic approach). So, great idea to mix coco in, as it is sterile, as to not burn the living daylights out of them. After the 2nd set of leaves, i find they basically become greedy straws sucking the medium dry. Could be that the deficiencies are caused by the medium getting worked out quicker by the larger plants (the sentence feels weird, hope it makes sense). You've been adding a lot of top dressing, which will gradually filter down to the root zone, but like pH determines the nute absorbtion rate, the lack of certain minerals could also lock out the absorbtion of others... i'm trying to convey a lot of complicated science rather quickly, i can't remember which minerals & what pH affect the up-take of varied nutes & minerals, please google for additional info.
* that freebie you received sounds like a great get! Please pm me the brand & name, so i can look for it over here! Myco & bacteria take a small while to get settled in, and they need a stable source of food. I fear that if the seedling soil is strip-mined of minerals (as i suspect it might be), the lil bugs aren't getting enough food to be truly beneficial. It took about 4 months for good-ish soil to develop, rich with life, after my first micro-bac soil injection. The 2nd time, 2 months, 3rd time, 3 weeks. When you switch over, it will take some time, but once done, it gets easier, because the critters breed & spread out from several sites, ground & soil improves... it's a test, not a T20
* Aloe is amazing for root development. Aloe gel is an all natural cloning gel: take clones as per usual, then dip the stem into a broken off bit of aloe (into the slimy gel), stick in dirt. If the gel is added to water, as with eggshell water, use to drench soil. Watch out for the mix strenght, it seems a small dose, but kelp is very, very strong as a nute, i have burned plants before with a very diluted dose of kelp ferts/nutes (foliar).
* when i first started soil grows, i tried pots. I had many, many, many problems. Switched to directly in soil: almost no problems. I can't quite grasp container gardening as a science - i always get my ratios wrong. My most trusted method of soil planting goes like this:
1) dig a bloody great hole 2) dump all sorts of kitchen scraps is there, fill it about 1/2 way up 3) add microorganisms eg LAB 4) worm castings, compost & soil mixed through with perlite & vermiculite covering the fresh compost 5) stick a plant in the pepared hole. For no-till beds, i just leave out step 1 & cover with a tarp (3 weeks in summer, 2 months in winter). I can't get the dang plants to stop growing anymore, and i'm no help with deficiencies, i have very little experience with that, soil takes care of my babies.
* i know you've grown before, so you have more than a basic idea of what to do. I would, however, urge you to transplant PDQ, as now is a crucial time in their development, and there will be a short period of adjustment after transplanting. I know life interferes etc etc, but next year, you'll be much more polished (& have built enclosures, it sucks when you have to rely on someone else to do stuff!!!).
You're doing very well, newbie (hehe), i remember the obsession of your first (proper)grow... have a toke on the vape and relax (useless advice, i know). You're fine, it's all fine, you're going to have some great bud. I'd advise getting them in the soil this week if pos, 2 weeks of adapting before summer solstice, then natural flip into flower at any point after that. Sorry, that's my PoA, you have your own .
I'll read through the thesis again, see if i missed anything. Organics take a while to work effectively, but when it does, there's no stopping it. It's nature, she knows what she'a doing, sit back & watch it happen

There are a couple things I would fall back on in LOS. Always start with an ACT, rich in EWC. There's almost nothing a good aerated compost tea can't fix. The other is to foliar with epsoms. It wouldn't hurt to do a minor scattering of epsoms across the surface periodically if you're seeing the fading you mention, which I can't see in the pictures Amy. They will have new growth show lighter green, and after a rain that can be really pronounced, but all-over fade I reach for epsoms.

The damage I see in the leaves is in the lower leaves only. If this is so, I'd assume that's a reaction from an earlier treatment. I'm not the person you should call to identify deficiencies. I grew in LOS so that I wouldn't see those deficiencies.

I support your inclination to upcan. They may simply need more soil community under them to get the balance necessary. Organics and small pots don't work well. In a larger pot you can play with the wet/dry cycle a bit more, although with organic soils you never want to get too dry.

You're reacting a little too quickly, IMO Amy. Small changes over time. It's so easy to look at a plant and want to do something NOW! when it may be more beneficial to wait it out and only change one thing.

You build the soil and then you let the soil feed the plant. I had a set routine for drenches that came on a regular schedule. The same additions every drench, or every other drench. It's a system designed to keep stores at a level the plants could most benefit from, and for the most part, it worked like a charm. Doc's kit does it so much better without all the work that I'll probably never go back to LOS.

To be honest though, the first grow in LOS was so easy and so productive that I continue to recommend it for those who love to play in dirt. If Doc's followers hadn't followed Graytail into my yard I'd probably still be in LOS no-tills.

Think about increasing the root zone. That usually does the trick in living soil communities. Your girls are looking pretty good from here. New growth is what you want to keep an eye on, and yours looks healthy to me.

Hope I helped. Seek out bobrown14. He's my LOS mentor. Conradino is another invaluable member resource. He's really good at making it work in the bush. Good luck Amy. They're resilient plants. That's why we called them weed for so long. Lol!
What she said

Hey Amy, you've got a good crew helping out here.

I would underline what sue said about taking time between adjustments, and DOUBLE underline that better soil/bigger pots will make a huge difference.

I understand these deficiencies look scary, but the actual life of your plants are not endangered - they are months away from dying if you make no changes.

On the other hand, It is good to keep them in near optimal help, it really helps the yield when it comes time to flower

You are in the zone between near perfect and might reduce your harvest if you don't get it fixed - Keep doing well :)

I totally do have a great crew don't I? .

Hi Rad, Absolutely- what you say about bigger pots & soil. I have all the components for that (except the help I needed) - they were all supposed to be in the ground 2 weeks ago. But many strange delays have occurred. .

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting it sorted - and the girls are actually looking superb today. Very perky & they just enjoyed a lovely electrical ⚡️ rainstorm. The ones in the smaller pots may be stunting a bit but I'm pulling out all the stops to have them in their final or bigger home in the next few days. . gosh that's going to feel good ...

Nice to see you - how's things?

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

I totally do have a great crew don't I? .

Absolutely- what you say about bigger pot & soil. I have all the components for that - they were all supposed to be in the ground 2 weeks ago. But many strange delays have occurred.

Getting it sorted - girls are actually looking superb today. Very perky & just had a lovely electrical ⚡️ rainstorm. The ones in the smaller pots may be stunting a bit but I'm pulling out all the stops to have them in their final or bigger home in the next few days. . gosh that's going to feel good ...

I think I ended up stumbling across that chart in my travels anyway .

Thanks for dropping by Joe - I drop by your place a little bit too.

Conradino tried to teach me about the electical loads for minerals, only i'm too daft to fully grasp it. Anyway, my point is: electrical thunderstorm + minerals (with + / - charge) & mineral uptake in plant = perky girls. I get massive migraines before thunderstorms, because of the change in charge in the atmosphere, which disappears when the rain starts falling. It makes sense to me that they'd be affected by electrical storms...

Conradino tried to teach me about the electical loads for minerals, only i'm too daft to fully grasp it. Anyway, my point is: electrical thunderstorm + minerals (with + / - charge) & mineral uptake in plant = perky girls. I get massive migraines before thunderstorms, because of the change in charge in the atmosphere, which disappears when the rain starts falling. It makes sense to me that they'd be affected by electrical storms...

Yep - that sounds right!Lovely electrical storms all week on & off and the minerals seem to be doing they're stuff today.
I'm reading about that +/- charge stuff too, I'm pretty sure it relates to how that osmosis in soil thing works, that we were talking about a few weeks ago. I'll try to work up my version if it, I'm sure I'll find an analogy to entertain you .

Hey, I made a start on my second attempt at a LABS today. Looks better. I think the first one was not cloudy enough and I think my border protection was better than I thought - colonisation lockout!This one is only covered with cheesecloth - should be good!

.♥️

I can't remember if i mentioned this, the cover is only to keep out flies, gnats, spiders etc - yucky. I drained mine through a cheesecloth in a sieve before adding it to milk, just to get the yucky bits out, i uncovered it from time to time to absorb aerial bacteria... do what feels natural to you. Glad #2 is going better!
❤❤❤

Hiya, Amy.
This is a response to post # 113, which i can't quote in bits (cause idk how to on my tiny screened phone).
* seedling mix has been "gently" fertilised (if that makes sense) in order not to burn baby rootlings. Cannabis can be a tad fussy when it comes to feeding seedlings, depending on the strain (my 100% landrace sativas throw enormous tantrums when chemicals touch them, hence the micro-composting & full out organic approach). So, great idea to mix coco in, as it is sterile, as to not burn the living daylights out of them. After the 2nd set of leaves, i find they basically become greedy straws sucking the medium dry. Could be that the deficiencies are caused by the medium getting worked out quicker by the larger plants (the sentence feels weird, hope it makes sense). You've been adding a lot of top dressing, which will gradually filter down to the root zone, but like pH determines the nute absorbtion rate, the lack of certain minerals could also lock out the absorbtion of others... i'm trying to convey a lot of complicated science rather quickly, i can't remember which minerals & what pH affect the up-take of varied nutes & minerals, please google for additional info.
* that freebie you received sounds like a great get! Please pm me the brand & name, so i can look for it over here! Myco & bacteria take a small while to get settled in, and they need a stable source of food. I fear that if the seedling soil is strip-mined of minerals (as i suspect it might be), the lil bugs aren't getting enough food to be truly beneficial. It took about 4 months for good-ish soil to develop, rich with life, after my first micro-bac soil injection. The 2nd time, 2 months, 3rd time, 3 weeks. When you switch over, it will take some time, but once done, it gets easier, because the critters breed & spread out from several sites, ground & soil improves... it's a test, not a T20 ..
* Aloe is amazing for root development. Aloe gel is an all natural cloning gel: take clones as per usual, then dip the stem into a broken off bit of aloe (into the slimy gel), stick in dirt. If the gel is added to water, as with eggshell water, use to drench soil. Watch out for the mix strenght, it seems a small dose, but kelp is very, very strong as a nute, i have burned plants before with a very diluted dose of kelp ferts/nutes (foliar).
* when i first started soil grows, i tried pots. I had many, many, many problems. Switched to directly in soil: almost no problems. I can't quite grasp container gardening as a science - i always get my ratios wrong. My most trusted method of soil planting goes like this:
1) dig a bloody great hole 2) dump all sorts of kitchen scraps is there, fill it about 1/2 way up 3) add microorganisms eg LAB 4) worm castings, compost & soil mixed through with perlite & vermiculite covering the fresh compost 5) stick a plant in the pepared hole. For no-till beds, i just leave out step 1 & cover with a tarp (3 weeks in summer, 2 months in winter). I can't get the dang plants to stop growing anymore, and i'm no help with deficiencies, i have very little experience with that, soil takes care of my babies.
* i know you've grown before, so you have more than a basic idea of what to do. I would, however, urge you to transplant PDQ, as now is a crucial time in their development, and there will be a short period of adjustment after transplanting. I know life interferes etc etc, but next year, you'll be much more polished (& have built enclosures, it sucks when you have to rely on someone else to do stuff!!!).
You're doing very well, newbie (hehe), i remember the obsession of your first (proper)grow... have a toke on the vape and relax (useless advice, i know). You're fine, it's all fine, you're going to have some great bud. I'd advise getting them in the soil this week if pos, 2 weeks of adapting before summer solstice, then natural flip into flower at any point after that. Sorry, that's my PoA, you have your own ....
I'll read through the thesis again, see if i missed anything. Organics take a while to work effectively, but when it does, there's no stopping it. It's nature, she knows what she'a doing, sit back & watch it happen ...

I saw the later post before this one ...

Yes and yes, and oh - yeah. To all that. You read the situation well.

I'm so looking forward to next year already .. But this one is coming through one way or the other. If I use pots at all next year it'll be little ones for 2 weeks max, then into the ground I reckon.

The impending summer solstice was definitely part of my escalating concern about them growing out of their homes. .. 2 of them won't get to adapt before summer solstice as their bed is in the new enclosure - still under construction . and 2weeks away - but they will go into slightly bigger pots tomorrow with the same soil. Not ideal but it will be what it is- and they'll love the spot so I know something good is going to happen there .

I saw the later post before this one ...

Yes and yes, and oh - yeah. To all that. You read the situation well.

I'm so looking forward to next year already .. But this one is coming through one way or the other. If I use pots at all next year it'll be little ones for 2 weeks max, then into the ground I reckon.

The impending summer solstice was definitely part of my escalating concern about them growing out of their homes. .. 2 of them won't get to adapt before summer solstice as their bed is in the new enclosure - still under construction . and 2weeks away - but they will go into slightly bigger pots tomorrow with the same soil. Not ideal but it will be what it is- and they'll love the spot so I know something good is going to happen there .

Quick-fix for nute deprived soil-based problems: worm castings. I insert an implement eg knife down the side of the pots, then try to get some wc into the gap - idk how much this helps, but at least some of it is available for the deeper roots... if used as ACT, it'll work even quicker, but super-dilute it for foliar application. I source brilliant local no-name brand wc from an organic gardener, great stuff if you can get a good source.
Also, we're blessed with amazing climate - if you feel up to it, germinate another seed or 3 for a late summer/autumn grow. By the time they're ready for transplant, your older girls will be (fingers crossed) halfway through flowering... stick them in the soil next to the flowering girls, as the enclosures etc will be up by then... photos are pretty good at working with the climate & season, so they'll flip into flower at summer's end, ready for harvest end of autumn... by the time the 1st grow is down, new grow will flip, so less shade & competition, soil should be well settled by then, very low stress grow (always low stress when you have enough bud to smoke), autumn cool will increase resin & colours... what do you think?

Quick-fix for nute deprived soil-based problems: worm castings. I insert an implement eg knife down the side of the pots, then try to get some wc into the gap - idk how much this helps, but at least some of it is available for the deeper roots... if used as ACT, it'll work even quicker, but super-dilute it for foliar application. I source brilliant local no-name brand wc from an organic gardener, great stuff if you can get a good source.
Also, we're blessed with amazing climate - if you feel up to it, germinate another seed or 3 for a late summer/autumn grow. By the time they're ready for transplant, your older girls will be (fingers crossed) halfway through flowering... stick them in the soil next to the flowering girls, as the enclosures etc will be up by then... photos are pretty good at working with the climate & season, so they'll flip into flower at summer's end, ready for harvest end of autumn... by the time the 1st grow is down, new grow will flip, so less shade & competition, soil should be well settled by then, very low stress grow (always low stress when you have enough bud to smoke), autumn cool will increase resin & colours... what do you think? .

We're in a mind meld right now, you & I...

Do you know - for love nor money I cannot source worm castings locally. I have been trying for 2 months. I'm getting a worm farm, but you know, it's one project at a time and this week it's the girls. And then, said worm farm will take some time to produce much. You know, those high-brixers I admire so much use worm castings as a top dress at a certain point (there's a lot in the original soil mixes too). But yeah, hoping my sister in law is going to bring me some juice from her worms in a couple of weeks. Not a moment too soon. Actually, I'm going to a herbal tincture and oil making class tomorrow, there'll be people there I can ask too.

Just today I started browsing for seed. I really can't afford much now, was considering an auto for the summer months in a similar fashion to what you mention. But I'm not sure the budget can do new seeds.

I'd forgotten you said that about the late planting ... .. I'd been scouting autos at seedbanks today to try something similar (but not as good) as what you suggest. I love it. I guess that'd be similar to indoor growers doing 12/12 from seed. I do have another freebie or 2, and my helper made some of his own seeds last season that he says are pretty good (it has some Malawi and maybe northern lights in its heritage). That could be a good bet. . You know, the enclosure spot is going to be perfect for this - it's positioned specially for the sole purpose of having good sun right through autumn .

I'm so relieved I'm transplanting them tomorrow. The weather could be wet and wooly, but rain hail or shine we're doing it!! It's possibly going to rain for the next 4 days, so no time like the present.

Better rest, tomorrow is a big day

Night night, sleep tight.
Mind-meld...yup, sounds about right, Dr Crusher.
If your helper guy is willing, sprout 5+ of his seeds, enjoy the magic of cluster-planting. (You'll end up with 2/3 plants in the end, qty is to compensate for hermies/ males/ duds, as is normal in new x's. Plants train themselves, it's magic to watch PLUS remember all the fun techniques you've seen & wanted to try? I like experimenting on clusters - supercropped, triple topped, fan stripped clusters just to see what happens.
I think we're naturally in sync (as people), but re weed growing: trying to lunar grow organic weed bush style with critters & helpers in the southern hemisphere is a specific niche... our thoughts probably move in similar directions due to similar circumstances, climates etc. Thanks for the supercropping tip, had a go at it, fingers crossed (i totally blanked on training ideas, mushy brain syndrome), i can smell a.change already...
Super exited for the solstice! I feel vaguely witchy about it...

Upcanning them should change things for better and hold off with fertilisers for awhile too.

Amy you are doing an amazing job, you are miles ahead of yourself. I have a motto not to give advice on something I don't have personal experience with so your grow is over my head, but SweetSue nailed it down to a fine science for yah. I'm still very impressed that you are doing all this with a cognitive impairment. That means you get twice the love...:hug::hug:

And one for SweetSue:hug: hahahaha just random love for her advice.

Very astute, mate :)

Back
Top Bottom