Amy Gardner Of Eden v1.1: Outdoor 420 Featuring Star Pupil x WeaponX, PCK, Lilly & Purple Satellite

would be nice to be able to have it analyzed, to know exactly what you're dealing with
Yes it would indeed. I did see a microscopic shape at one point that really looked like the aspergillus ‘bloom’ and then couldnt find it again - and wasn’t inclined to spend much time doing so! But it definitely looked like this shape (a small fuzzy version - almost too small to see at maximum zoom).

1585790945731.jpeg

Even doing an alcohol extraction requires handling and managing it and without access to testing I would never be confident it was ok.

I had a blast growing them and even tho it’s a loss it is never a total one. They have already brought me bundles of joy beyond just the promise of buds at the end. The growing itself is the journey and the joy as well and I’ve been enjoying them for weeks.

I spent a few minutes out in the garden having another look. There is no doubt - it’s everywhere, and it’s raining.

It’s an excellent experience to solidify the knowledge that I need more extreme measures outdoors. I have solid plans now to slowly set up a semi perpetual indoors where i focus the medicinal needs growing and maybe grow one for fun outside when I find ones that will definitely finish mid March, so only super fast varieties.

I am therefore adding my voice to the other ones on the internet that say “when in doubt throw it out” when it comes to mould on crops. I’ve seen enough perfect bud at microscopic magnification to know that this stuff, as beautiful as it looks, is potentially toxic.

It will be a cathartic fire that’s for sure! :thedoubletake:

Something to note as well - the greyish, bluish fuzz is showing on what seem to be the oldest pistil hairs, so this is obviously where it is getting started. That accords with the aspergillis habit of attaching to decaying organic matter.

That makes me think about what Shed and I have both noticed about some sprays like Green Cleaner that seem to kill off the pistil hairs. So maybe using this in early flower raises the risk of this kind of mold because you end up w dead pistilate hairs much earlier than usual... just shootin’ the breeze, and it sounds logical to my brain right now.

Good call, Amy...Tough decision,
Thanks man - is appreciated. PS inspection confirmed little bits of the fuzz on old pistil hairs all over the plant, so no good news there.

I’ll tell you what tho’, I am cheering myself up really well with the indoor grow space plans, fully supported by the household :D and I just made a purchase I’ve been saving up for - using some gubminty stimulus money ...

upgrade! Arizer Extreme Q
1585792094352.jpeg

The poor woman’s Volcano! :laughtwo:

I’m really happy with my Solo and this Extreme Q gets great reviews as a desktop vape. Consolation shopping always helps!

for a little comic relief, this was photographed of the TV news - coverage on the Victorian govt. initially making the rule that outings to visit ones partner of you live seperately were not ok... and then reversing it and saying people could...
04289D02-F417-4CD5-B2AD-0D1E3757D465.jpeg

Bonking ban backflip :rofl: who writes this shite!? I’m sure there are otheramusing local news nuances all over the world, but I agree w the poster that this seems particularly (and stupidly) Australian :laughtwo:

Oof! So sorry to hear that after everything you went though to get to this point you will have to toss the entire crop...but nice PhOTM haul :).
Oh - I also wanted to ask Shed :ciao: if you think it ok to still dry the stems and roots for making a salve - assuming I can’t see anything on them... but maybe i should be cutting all losses.
Since we can't see spores that have spread all over the plant I wouldn't trust the rest of it to be mold-free.
You can make oil out of it without worry though. You just have to do an alcohol extraction. I've posted my method a few times but I can get it to you again if it's something you want to try.
If we knew what kind of mold it was it would be possible to find out if 95% ethanol kills not only visible mold, but the spores as well. But as Amy said below, it's not PM and it's not botrytis, so without a lab test we're probably just guessing.
I know that doc does use H202 for mould spores but he only ever mentions powdery mildew in that conversation. In any case, I can’t afford the amount that I’d need and even if I could, currently you are only ‘allowed’ to buy one 400ml bottle of it at a time.
H2O2 doesn't work on botrytis, just PM.
But the fact that it’s not PM or Botryitis means that it is likely types of mold that produce aflatoxins... not good and not to be messed with.
This ^
That makes me think about what Shed and I have bothe noticed about some sprays like Green Cleaner that seem to kill of the pistil hairs. So maybe using this in early flower raisins the risk of this kind of mold becasue you end up w dead pistilate hairs much earlier thatn usuial... just shootin the breeze, and it sounds logical to my brain right now
That's a very interesting connection you have made! Not sure that they would have molded in a dryer environment though. Might have just been the perfect storm.

I wonder if LABs spray along the way would have prevented it to begin with.

Thanks for checking-in my friend.
So sorry to hear that after everything you went though to get to this point you will have to toss the entire crop...but nice PhOTM haul :).
Thank you - a wild summer ride it has been!
Since we can't see spores that have spread all over the plant I wouldn't trust the rest of it to be mold-free.
yes - I thought as much too. Thanks for confirming.
Might have just been the perfect storm.
I’m thinking this. So the early dead pistils not the cause, as such, just a ‘stormy element’.
wonder if LABs spray along the way would have prevented it to begin with.
:laughtwo: Indeed! Not having to spray it for white fly would have helped as well. My usual sprays are a light mist and don’t leave the plants wet. Bug sprays soak things.

i really have no idea about if LAB’s in a spray might have helped but when i do my own style outdoor, which i did the ear before last, i used it in my sprays along with the Casuarina needles (a native she-oak we have here that is actually a type of horsetail). SO maybe that helped a bit. I had budrot that year, but on an Afghan x Critical Mass so that has very low resistance to it. Last year the Critical Mass had a little but the CD-1 had no sign of anything like these things I’m seeing.

There were some funny typos above, but
raisins the risk
was a fave I think :D

So next question then - do you think burning it is an ok thing to do? (Being mindful not to inhale the smoke of course!). Or should I simply be binning it?

Earlier today I read @Pennywise saying, in relation to risk of theft outside...
I’ve lost a lot of reefer outdoors, all part of the game.

I kind of feel like that about this. It’s part of the game. Gotta be able to do what’s needed and move on - which doesnt mean it’s not disappointing and sad - shed a tear ;) Just not the end of any worlds! :hippy:

Well Fuck (aka fook). I think that’s about all we can say at this point. You certainly didn’t come away empty handed though. Aside from the amazing display of resilience they (and you) showed us, and busy work for you and lovely, they also helped get you a PhOTM win and some awesome loot! It is a bummer for sure, and I’m sorry for that. But it was a fantastic grow Amy. Eden is truly an amazing place. :kiss: :kiss:

Thanks for an amazing journey. It's really been a gas!
thanks buddy - wouldn’t be the same without you! :hug: :hippy:
Sorry to hear your grow turned out bust. :( ...
You next grow will be great so fingers crossed you can get back to it soonest
thanks Lerugged :Namaste: I ahve already moved on - even tho it’s sad, yes :( - I am gearing up for the new indoor grow and designing indoor spaces.
Sorry to here mother nature took ya down in the end with the high rh. That sucks after all other crap she thru at ya that you were able to get thru.
Love your style of writing Amy and look forward to your next journal.
:hug: :hug::hug:
me too Derb’ Was quite a ride eh? By the time I got to this twist in the story i was kinda like, “huh! Wow, Okay then.“ ... carry on. Thanks man, I’m really happy folks enjoy it :)
Rejoice Rejoice we have no choice but to carry on
Now witness the quickness with which we get along
To sing the blues you've got to live the dues and carry on

Carry on, love is coming, love is coming to us all :meditate: :Namaste:
:meditate: :love: :Namaste:
Well Fuck (aka fook). I think that’s about all we can say at this point. You certainly didn’t come away empty handed though. Aside from the amazing display of resilience they (and you) showed us, and busy work for you and lovely, they also helped get you a PhOTM win and some awesome loot! It is a bummer for sure, and I’m sorry for that. But it was a fantastic grow Amy. Eden is truly an amazing place. :kiss: :kiss:
:love: that’s for sure Heavenly. I’m fully stoked with the light and with @VIPARSPECTRA for sending it out to me. Makes getting my friend started with growing super easy while they save for a decent light and concentrate funds on environment :thumb:
Even if your harvest didn't make it, I'm so glad you have.

Me too! You’ve no idea. That’s probably part of the relative calmness about the crop loss. The house didn’t burn down, we didn’t have to drive through fire, but we spent the summer with the spectre of both and others having that experience all around us, and we’re alive, along woth our friends so, you know, big potatoes, small potatoes :D

I dropped back in here because it would be very remiss of me to not journal how the mold-contaminated crop is being disposed of.

@InTheShed is absolutely right to tell us that burning it is a bad idea. It definitely releases spores into the air if you do that (Like Shed Said). Here’s what my local organic garden guru said is best practice and this is what we are doing.

Carefuully bag it into garbage bags, make them airtight, and solarise in the sun for a number of dyas to kill off pathogens and moulds and then put the bags in the bin.

3 large garbage bags are sitting out in the sun as I type.

:rip::rip::rip::rip:
My beautiful babies :circle-of-love: What a life they had!​

No photos, nobody really needs to see the carnage and I can assure you that it is happening, even in the absence of photographic evidence.

So the take home is twofold: 1. plants can recover from incredible hardship (although it perhaps weakens their capacity to resist mold?) and 2. Inspect your buds carefully with a loupe or other magnifying device and if there is a hint of mould that is not botrytis or PM don’t mess with it. It’s not worth even thinking about it so address any possible causes and move on.

“When in doubt, throw it out!”

More beautiful plants are right around the corner...
:love:
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom