Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

re: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

Personally, I usually leave the gnarled leaves on for a while, though eventually I'll pull them off.

I leave them for a coupla reasons, firstly for their main photosynthetic function and secondly it serves as a visual record of something that went wrong so that if I've worked out the problem and moved on, it's there in case it happens again or on another plant. .."right, so these leaves have got crispy tips. This one here from last week looks almost identical and that had gone into a bulb, so, light burn."

Looking great bro...

These led are sick aren't they!

Going through getting caught up been busy.

Your doing great and congrats on the member of the month bro.. I know a lil late on that lol

Quick update without pictures (I know.. How dare I?!? lol)

Most of the plant looks good. The sulfur deficiency is about 99% gone +/- with all the yellowing back to green.

I have dropped the light to 17" now (I was aiming for 18", but ended up 1" closer, so I figured eh.. what the hell), and it's been like that for the entire day so far. I checked in for the first couple hours expecting to see leaf curling.. but no problems.

Ok now that all the good news is out of the way, lets get to the bad news! My second top.. Which can be seen here: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

2014-11-02_18-50-48_326.jpg

The leaves there have all curled up a bit more than in that last picture, with a few tips looking dead/crispy, but that's it. Nothing as severe as before.

Still no water or nutes yet, the pot is still a bit too heavy. Near the end of the week for sure. :thumb:

Still no water or nutes yet, the pot is still a bit too heavy. Near the end of the week for sure. :thumb:

I know you said no water and nutes, but between the problem arising with led and now did you up the percentage of nutes? Was it only getting the led further that made the difference or also changes in your water concentration ?

Can't really see anything... Anyway you could take a picture with normal light?

Those leaves look as if they are eating themselves at this point. Trying to make new growth so it can ultimately replace the fried leaves. Some strains are incredibly finicky especially with pH of soil. More Cal/Mag for sure. I'm sorry for asking I follow quite a few threads and get my info mixed up, but what nutrients are you using? Or just leaving it up to the soil?

Some strains are made for hydro. I have had quite a few strains that die in soil. I couldn't figure anything out about the strain, switched to coco... They did fine.

Edit: and possibly an oscillating fan going across the top of the soil? That might help out a little more.

Useful info there sphnx

Sweet update man. If you're losing that many leaves due to deficiencies you need to up the nutrients some more. The more leaves ya got on her the more nutrients you need to support all of the growth.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures man. I always enjoy looking at your grow.

Took me awhile to figure this out for my big plant, i was wondering why if i gave her a nute feeding on Monday why was she showing nute deficiency by Saturday. I have since started to make my own nute mix to adjust for this.

To be honest? I'm not sure.

The LED caused the initial problem. After that, I'm not sure what the hell happened. The plant showed signs of deficiencies, PH problems, and I'm starting to suspect I had nute burn problems too.

I'm currently suspicious that the curling leaves I see MIGHT be an overfert issue.

But I think this is the basic timeline:

LED damages leaves.
Turn off LED and VEG with CFL for a couple weeks.
Everything seemed to be going well, then I turned the LED back on.
Then curling leaves, and signs of deficiencies. Boron? Iron, Phosphorous etc..
During this time I thought the LED was too strong, so I adjusted the height multiple times until the problem lessened.
But also during this time, I wasn't watering...
PH at this time was a little screwy. Normally I had the PH in the soil under control from the beginning of transplant, but the PH stayed high on this soil for a month or so. I would PH my nutes, water.. and a day later PH was 7.5+.

Now it has taken almost a week to creep back up to that level, so the PH problem is back on track, and as good as it's going to get with this soil.

I think the next time I water, I'll see if any problems appear or not. I'm also considering reducing the nutes a little bit to see if that makes a difference, since the light at 17" has had no effect on the leaves at all today, so I'm guessing my problem now is not with the light. I'm thinking a combination of PH/Nute problems caused it. Now that the PH has stabilized, and is back to slowly creeping up, I can water like I used to, PH'ing nutes around 5.0-5.5 to compensate for the higher soil PH, and VIOLA! It'll work like a charm.

It worked perfectly on my last grow. :thumb:

as an indoor grower, I cannot make my own soil, but I am firmly in the organic camp and will not use synthetics at all. I like the idea of recycling the soil I use, but I thought that was a big no-no from what I've read on here - guess I'll have to experiment..

I thought it was a no no as well to re use soil as there would be soil build up as well as other contaminates in the soil that we don't see and could "re grow" for a new growing plant.

Thanks man! I hate giving up and admitting defeat, so I keep going and work my hardest until I either succeed, or I'm out of options.
And so far, it's looking like success :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up on the contest! I'm entered :rollit:

I share your sentiments gentleman lol. I def got frustrated with my grow.

Quick update without pictures (I know.. How dare I?!? lol)

Most of the plant looks good. The sulfur deficiency is about 99% gone +/- with all the yellowing back to green.

I have dropped the light to 17" now (I was aiming for 18", but ended up 1" closer, so I figured eh.. what the hell), and it's been like that for the entire day so far. I checked in for the first couple hours expecting to see leaf curling.. but no problems.

Ok now that all the good news is out of the way, lets get to the bad news! My second top.. Which can be seen here: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

2014-11-02_18-50-48_326.jpg

The leaves there have all curled up a bit more than in that last picture, with a few tips looking dead/crispy, but that's it. Nothing as severe as before.

F'n great Antics, keep it up and def don't give up on the plant. You had me thinking if I could have saved my BBWW when i had my first grow going... Looking back thus far, smh i made some things pretty difficult when I know they shouldn't have been. I still don't want to speak to early because I have to complete my flower and dry/cure phase to really complete my grow, but I can only hope things continue to go in the right direction. Keep it up Antics and don't give up, its just a challenge for you now that you will look back at and say it really wasn't that bad as I had thought. All caught up on your journal and should be good now lol. :bravo:

I had similar problems using a brand of LED that I am not able to mention. My question is do you plan on running it again? Ever?
Hope alls well and that your next plant is problem free
Peace

To be honest? I'm not sure.

The LED caused the initial problem. After that, I'm not sure what the hell happened. The plant showed signs of deficiencies, PH problems, and I'm starting to suspect I had nute burn problems too.

I'm currently suspicious that the curling leaves I see MIGHT be an overfert issue.

But I think this is the basic timeline:

LED damages leaves.
Turn off LED and VEG with CFL for a couple weeks.
Everything seemed to be going well, then I turned the LED back on.
Then curling leaves, and signs of deficiencies. Boron? Iron, Phosphorous etc..
During this time I thought the LED was too strong, so I adjusted the height multiple times until the problem lessened.
But also during this time, I wasn't watering...
PH at this time was a little screwy. Normally I had the PH in the soil under control from the beginning of transplant, but the PH stayed high on this soil for a month or so. I would PH my nutes, water.. and a day later PH was 7.5+.

Now it has taken almost a week to creep back up to that level, so the PH problem is back on track, and as good as it's going to get with this soil.

I think the next time I water, I'll see if any problems appear or not. I'm also considering reducing the nutes a little bit to see if that makes a difference, since the light at 17" has had no effect on the leaves at all today, so I'm guessing my problem now is not with the light. I'm thinking a combination of PH/Nute problems caused it. Now that the PH has stabilized, and is back to slowly creeping up, I can water like I used to, PH'ing nutes around 5.0-5.5 to compensate for the higher soil PH, and VIOLA! It'll work like a charm.

It worked perfectly on my last grow. :thumb:

Well from what I gather the led was just too much in the earlier phase but not the problem at all further down the road, huh. So do you think that having led does not always result in the plant using more nutes than normal?????

I had similar problems using a brand of LED that I am not able to mention. My question is do you plan on running it again? Ever?
Hope alls well and that your next plant is problem free
Peace

Oh hell yes I plan to use it again. In my next grow actually, and I plan to grow 2 plants under it. I love the results it gives, I'm just getting used to actually using it along with my poor soil. For some growers it's a seamless transition to LED, but I'm using soil with probably close to no nutes, so I probably should have started feeding earlier, which I didn't..

Well from what I gather the led was just too much in the earlier phase but not the problem at all further down the road, huh. So do you think that having led does not always result in the plant using more nutes than normal?????

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, The earlier problems were the LED, after that, was my fault.
I don't think it always needs more nutes, but it may still need calmag supplemented. I'll know more about that as I progress further into the grow.

And I'll give a quick update with pics since I didn't post any last night.

The angles are different, since I didn't pay attention to when I took the pictures, but heres a comparison of the leaves that were curling yesterday when I lowered the light to 17"
2014-11-05_10-09-57_327.jpg

And here we are a day later, with no change in the curling:
2014-11-06_17-47-29_207.jpg

You can see that there was no change in the leaves, at least not that I notice, from running the LED this close. So I'm almost positive my curling problems were somehow my fault..

OH!!! And something I noticed yesterday... the notches on my timer for 6 hours of dark were all half pushed in, so I'm thinking maybe I wasn't giving the plant any darkness for a while? And for how long, I don't know. But that was corrected yesterday as well.

And here's an overall picture of the plant, with no big negative changes:
2014-11-06_17-47-48_127.jpg

And I'm trying to use my clamp light for the pics, it's just not making a huge difference in all the pics, sorry for the pinkness!

Now for positive changes, I am adjusting my LST on the lower branches daily, I have just started a 3rd lower branch on LST, and I see a difference in growth in all the branches on a daily basis. So things are looking real good right now. I will be FIM'ing or Topping the other top that I have pictured above with the curled leaves when I have a good growth to cut, and this will give me a total of 2 FIM/Top cuts on the plant.

Thanks for stopping by!

Looks like things are starting to go in the right direction now.
Hopefully clear sailing from now on.

I have been experiencing a few problems with my 2 plants in my Vscrog, Sphnx suggested upping the nutes on them and that seemed to help a lot. Might try giving nutes on every feeding just not full strength they seem to be recovering from the yellow leaves that were spreading.

Looks like things are starting to go in the right direction now.
Hopefully clear sailing from now on.

I have been experiencing a few problems with my 2 plants in my Vscrog, Sphnx suggested upping the nutes on them and that seemed to help a lot. Might try giving nutes on every feeding just not full strength they seem to be recovering from the yellow leaves that were spreading.

I'll head over to take a look at your plants after this! I'm always prepared for a problem or two to appear, but all these problems together had me stumped.

After a lot of thought this past week, I decided to try a small watering today, about 20 ounces of water, and no nutes. I want to see how it affects the curled leaves, I'm starting to suspect that it was an overfert problem combined with PH lockout.

How's she looking today? the new growth on the last photo looked very nice.

She looks pretty much the same as yesterday, and this is at the light at 17"/43cm for 2 days now, so I'm going to guess that my light is good and no problems with it.

I should know more later today or tomorrow on how the plain water affects her. I'm guessing I'm going to see an improvement, or I might see a decline. If I see a decline I'll assume I have an excess of nutes in the soil and will give a light flush, and go from there. But I'm thinking that I'll see an improvement. The growth has been great lately, and I'll have to start LST on a large scale if the current rate of growth continues.

The growth has been great lately, and I'll have to start LST on a large scale if the current rate of growth continues.
That is the kind of work you can't get mad at though=p "oh noes my plants are too big!!!"

Back
Top Bottom