Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

re: Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

I'm aware you are in coco. In my post it says when the ph of my coco gets gets low like that this is what I do. I wasn't digging on the Epsom at all I have some for my soil just saying never used it in coco. By all means you can check my journal after a while my coco plant was getting spots on fan leaves. Run off ph was low. Did the mentioned process and no more issues. Now it is a regular routine if my run off ph gets to much below 5.5. Just my 2 cents I mean no disrespect. :Namaste:

No disrespect taken man. I appreciate the tips. I missed the part about running the PH 6.0 water through until runoff reads 5.8ish.. Multitasking downfall of mine having 2 monitors, sometimes I miss something important here or there.

The epsom was my only option at the time. I had ordered my CalMag, but it was delayed quite a while before it was shipped, I assume because I chose the free shipping option, then there was some snow storm on the east coast, which delayed me receiving it even longer. So my options were basically use Epsom, or hope the plant doesn't die lol. I'm starting to think the death of my last plant was a combination of too low a PH, combined with a lack of Magnesium due to either lockout, or not enough available in the coco.

I'm going to PH 1 gallon of water @ 5.8 and run it through my coco tomorrow as planned. If my runoff is still outside the ideal hydro range, I'll follow your advice and run a few gallons through PH'ed @ 6.0 until I have a runoff of 5.8 again

If my PH falls between 5.5-6.1, I'll just feed as normal, 5ml/gal of Micro, Grow, Bloom, along with my CalMag, PH'ed to 5.8.

Again, no disrespect taken brother. I just misread part of what you said and then things went haywire.

PH...... BLOODY PH! Glad you're getting it dialed, dude. Mine keeps creeping down now my girls are in flower(in soil). Is this a normal thing?

-J.

Depending on where your soil is buffered, it can be normal. However, I've found that using cheaper PH meters when brand new, are fairly helpful. Once they've been used on 1-2 grows, the accuracy goes down the toilet. Make sure you're not using a cheap meter, and go for a digital unit if possible.

If the meter isn't the problem, what PH readings are you getting?

When I was growing in soil, my PH always had a tendency to creep up, according to the cheap meter I was using. I would PH nutes to 6.5, and by the next day, the PH would be at 7.0-7.2. After waiting a week between waterings, The PH would read 8+. But again, this was with the cheap meter that you put the 2 probes directly into the soil.

Now I just bought a new digital meter, and I tested my runoff with my old meter, and new one, and the old meter was off by about 1.8 points.
The calibrated digital meter said it was 5.4.
My old meter said it was 7.2.

So normally, I would have compensated in my nutes, by lowering the PH a little more. And this process worked great when I did my last grow. I yielded over 3 ounces with 2 plants in a CFL grow.

Just make sure your meter is calibrated. You can use white distilled vinegar to test its accuracy, and it should read 2.4 with the vinegar.

Depending on where your soil is buffered, it can be normal. However, I've found that using cheaper PH meters when brand new, are fairly helpful. Once they've been used on 1-2 grows, the accuracy goes down the toilet. Make sure you're not using a cheap meter, and go for a digital unit if possible.

If the meter isn't the problem, what PH readings are you getting?

When I was growing in soil, my PH always had a tendency to creep up, according to the cheap meter I was using. I would PH nutes to 6.5, and by the next day, the PH would be at 7.0-7.2. After waiting a week between waterings, The PH would read 8+. But again, this was with the cheap meter that you put the 2 probes directly into the soil.

Now I just bought a new digital meter, and I tested my runoff with my old meter, and new one, and the old meter was off by about 1.8 points.
The calibrated digital meter said it was 5.4.
My old meter said it was 7.2.

So normally, I would have compensated in my nutes, by lowering the PH a little more. And this process worked great when I did my last grow. I yielded over 3 ounces with 2 plants in a CFL grow.

Just make sure your meter is calibrated. You can use white distilled vinegar to test its accuracy, and it should read 2.4 with the vinegar.

Handy to know, thanks man.
My problem may well be my meter then to be honest. It's a $10 one that you stick the prong into the dirt like you say. I only got it a month or so ago but use it each watering on both plants so not sure how 'used up' it is. It's also not digital so maybe I need to invest.. My next purchase was going to be CalMag though! :morenutes:
I'm going to have a squiz through your last grow, I love to see CFL success stories.. :thumb:

-J.

Handy to know, thanks man.
My problem may well be my meter then to be honest. It's a $10 one that you stick the prong into the dirt like you say. I only got it a month or so ago but use it each watering on both plants so not sure how 'used up' it is. It's also not digital so maybe I need to invest.. My next purchase was going to be CalMag though! :morenutes:
I'm going to have a squiz through your last grow, I love to see CFL success stories.. :thumb:

-J.

It might be the meter. My problem, is my meter was reading too high, so I would PH my nutes too low. Like if my medium was really a 6, the meter would say it's a 7, so I'd PH at 5 to compensate, which in reality was dragging the PH in my medium too low.
Some of those meters are more accurate than others, but you can test the accuracy of yours by using white distilled vinegar. The PH should read 2.4. (Apple Cider vineger is not the same, and has a higher PH) That will give you a little idea how accurate your meter is, before going out to buy a new one.

As for digital, I found one similar to the cheapest Milwaukee model people suggest, although this brand is Etekcity, it came with 2 calibration solution packets, was calibrated right out of the box (tested with solution and vinegar), and was only $12 USD.

As for my CFL grow, it surprised me by a long shot. I was hoping to get 1/4-1/2 ounce per plant. Instead I got a little over an ounce from Power Flower, and a little over 2 ounces from Cali Jack. Total CFLs used was 14 bullbs, total of 350+ watts.

But keep in mind, for the cost of all the bulbs, and fixtures, you can easily just buy an entry level LED panel from the sponsors here.
:Namaste:

Try running some steel wool on the probes. I know there not to precise anyway but cleaning the probes helps.

I used some sand paper on my probes and it helped for the first few readings, and eventually went to hell. My way to test it was to stick it in water, and see if the needle on the moisture function went all the way to 10 lol. They do help... and I used mine for 2 grows with decent success, so I can't say NEVER buy one, but their lifespan is definitely limited.

I think his best bet will be to check the meter with some vinegar, since it has a known PH, and is pretty common in most households.

And a tiny tiny update, which I should have mentioned earlier.. That lovely fresh green Cannabis smell is filling the room once again. I haven't smelled that in quite some time, so I'm assuming Strawberry Blue is getting better, and will be ready to flower soon :)

I'll take a new canopy shot tomorrow or the following day to update how well she's doing. Its filling in nicely. And I should be able to remove some more of the worst looking leaves next week.

It might be the meter. My problem, is my meter was reading too high, so I would PH my nutes too low. Like if my medium was really a 6, the meter would say it's a 7, so I'd PH at 5 to compensate, which in reality was dragging the PH in my medium too low.
Some of those meters are more accurate than others, but you can test the accuracy of yours by using white distilled vinegar. The PH should read 2.4. (Apple Cider vineger is not the same, and has a higher PH) That will give you a little idea how accurate your meter is, before going out to buy a new one.

As for digital, I found one similar to the cheapest Milwaukee model people suggest, although this brand is Etekcity, it came with 2 calibration solution packets, was calibrated right out of the box (tested with solution and vinegar), and was only $12 USD.

As for my CFL grow, it surprised me by a long shot. I was hoping to get 1/4-1/2 ounce per plant. Instead I got a little over an ounce from Power Flower, and a little over 2 ounces from Cali Jack. Total CFLs used was 14 bullbs, total of 350+ watts.

But keep in mind, for the cost of all the bulbs, and fixtures, you can easily just buy an entry level LED panel from the sponsors here.

I used some sand paper on my probes and it helped for the first few readings, and eventually went to hell. My way to test it was to stick it in water, and see if the needle on the moisture function went all the way to 10 lol. They do help... and I used mine for 2 grows with decent success, so I can't say NEVER buy one, but their lifespan is definitely limited.

I think his best bet will be to check the meter with some vinegar, since it has a known PH, and is pretty common in most households.

Yeah I'm with you totally, bro. That's what I'm afraid I might be doing now.. PH up, PH down, PH up, PH down..... My moisture meter and PH meter(both the same brand and I assume very similar to the double ones I've seen online, green plastic top, bronze probe for moisture, silver coloured for PH?) don't react at all when put directly in liquid.. Did yours? :hmmmm:
I wouldn't mind the website to where you got the meter if you could PM it to me? Usually postage to here blows things out but I'll check it out for sure.

I'm really keen to take a proper look at LEDs, my main interest is heat levels. My CFL setup, which isn't huge keeps my room up around 40C+. Not good, I'm sure that's been holding my girls back.. Would you say you had more heat generated with your CFLs or LEDs? It may be a case of having a little LED setup to generate most of my light during summer and subsidize with CFLs. That is if LEDs are actually cooler running that CFLs..

Dude, I have a few questions you may be able to help with, if you get a spare minute, would you mind to jump across and share some knowledge? :)

Peace bro.

-J.

Yeah I'm with you totally, bro. That's what I'm afraid I might be doing now.. PH up, PH down, PH up, PH down..... My moisture meter and PH meter(both the same brand and I assume very similar to the double ones I've seen online, green plastic top, bronze probe for moisture, silver coloured for PH?) don't react at all when put directly in liquid.. Did yours? :hmmmm:
I wouldn't mind the website to where you got the meter if you could PM it to me? Usually postage to here blows things out but I'll check it out for sure.

I'm really keen to take a proper look at LEDs, my main interest is heat levels. My CFL setup, which isn't huge keeps my room up around 40C+. Not good, I'm sure that's been holding my girls back.. Would you say you had more heat generated with your CFLs or LEDs? It may be a case of having a little LED setup to generate most of my light during summer and subsidize with CFLs. That is if LEDs are actually cooler running that CFLs..

Dude, I have a few questions you may be able to help with, if you get a spare minute, would you mind to jump across and share some knowledge? :)

Peace bro.

-J.

When my meter was new, the moisture needle would fly all the way to the right, and stay pegged when I was testing my nutes PH. And yes, that became my method of calibration lol. But I have since seen how far off that was..
Towards the end of its life, it would only go about 70% across the gauge, when I would sand and clean the probes to a shiny new appearance, it would go across 100% again, so I assumed it was just dirty probes.

PM sent. Keep in mind I gave the website I used, and compared other products for you. You can likely shop around locally, or locate websites online that are close to you, and find similar pricing.

I had similar heat problems with CFLs. I ran my exhaust fan 24/7 and would hit temps in my first grow box of 29-32 C (85-90F), and temps would peak at 35 at times.

They grow plants nicely, but the heat is difficult to deal with. I then moved my grow from the cabinet into a closet. Similar temps, but I'd open one of the doors, and could keep it under 32C /90F. It isn't the most ideal temp ranges, but the strains I was growing didn't show signs of heat stress, so I continued with the grow.

Now I'm using an LED. Top-LED/Mars-Hydro brand, 'old model', 100x3. I use less than half the wattage my CFLs did, growth is much more vigorous (lots of side branch growth, and growth from branches which I didn't see with CFLs until I started flower), and my temps never exceed 27C/81F with the closet doors closed, and NO VENTILATION running. I do have a ventilation setup that runs into the attic for odor control, but haven't used it yet.

And sure thing man, I'll head over to your journal now

Update. Picture comparison between the last picture taken 4 days ago, on Wednesday January 28, and a picture taken a few minutes ago:

IMG_20150128_191912_149.jpg

IMG_20150201_054511_896.jpg

Big difference in my opinion. And this is only a 4 day gap. :)

Things seem to be getting better around here.

Excellent turn around! :thumb: I can only hope that with yours and everyone else's help, my Chocky can do the same.. :/

I think temperature wise I will look into an LED for my next effort.. What size is your room for your 300 odd watter?

-J.

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention that. It's not a room lol. It's a small closet. Approximately 3' wide, 2' deep, 7' high. 90cm wide, 60cm deep, 210cm high.

Just a basic closet, 2 small bi-fold doors, and nothing exciting about it. Big enough for 2- 5 gallon, or 19 liter pots.

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention that. It's not a room lol. It's a small closet. Approximately 3' wide, 2' deep, 7' high. 90cm wide, 60cm deep, 210cm high.

Just a basic closet, 2 small bi-fold doors, and nothing exciting about it. Big enough for 2- 5 gallon, or 19 liter pots.

Ahh cool. Same here. I'd say almost exactly the same by the sounds.. You use the Mars Old Model 100x3w yeah? Would you go that size again for your size room or could you get away with the UFO? I'm deciding what might work best for me..

-J.

Ahh cool. Same here. I'd say almost exactly the same by the sounds.. You use the Mars Old Model 100x3w yeah? Would you go that size again for your size room or could you get away with the UFO? I'm deciding what might work best for me..

-J.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably go with the 200x3 model, but I always prefer having more than enough, than not enough/just enough. The 100x3 seems to do well in there, and I had no problems giving the 2 plants light as far as I was able to grow them, size-wise.

On the website, Mars Hydro LED - the Best Solutions for Horticulture and Indoor Plants When you look at a specific product, it gives you specs on the product overview page that tell you the area it'll cover @ 24" 60cm height. This measurement is ideal for germination and veg, but flowering, they suggest 12-18" 30-45cm height, so you will lose some of that 2.3'x2.5' Standard@24inch as listed on the website.

As long as you're not growing your plants wall to wall in a scrog or something similar, you should be fine with the 100x3. For a scrog, I would suggest bumping up to the 200x3. And for a single plant, the 60x3 would work perfectly. But, due to the round shape, I wouldn't use it to cover 2 plants. (Keeping in mind I prefer to overdo everything, instead of have just the right amount of something) I don't see a height measurement for the coverage, so I'd ask in the Mars Hydro topic, or someone more experienced than I am with LED coverage. :Namaste:

Hope this helps you out a bit!

If I could do it over again, I'd probably go with the 200x3 model, but I always prefer having more than enough, than not enough/just enough. The 100x3 seems to do well in there, and I had no problems giving the 2 plants light as far as I was able to grow them, size-wise.

On the website, Mars Hydro LED - the Best Solutions for Horticulture and Indoor Plants When you look at a specific product, it gives you specs on the product overview page that tell you the area it'll cover @ 24" 60cm height. This measurement is ideal for germination and veg, but flowering, they suggest 12-18" 30-45cm height, so you will lose some of that 2.3'x2.5' Standard@24inch as listed on the website.

As long as you're not growing your plants wall to wall in a scrog or something similar, you should be fine with the 100x3. For a scrog, I would suggest bumping up to the 200x3. And for a single plant, the 60x3 would work perfectly. But, due to the round shape, I wouldn't use it to cover 2 plants. (Keeping in mind I prefer to overdo everything, instead of have just the right amount of something) I don't see a height measurement for the coverage, so I'd ask in the Mars Hydro topic, or someone more experienced than I am with LED coverage. :Namaste:

Hope this helps you out a bit!

A lot. I'm kind of tired of doing things by half so perhaps I'll save and get the 200x3 so I don't have to worry about lights again. Although that's a fair power draw. Think it would be necessary for 6 x 2L SIPS in my room? I wonder if you can turn half on/ off at a time..
There are so many things on the list. I really want an Extreme Q for the sake of my lungs.. Haha.

-J.

Back
Top Bottom