Anyone up for a challenge?

Wow, PJ... that does make it seem easy all right. Yes, it would be great if you could put that together for me, and post it either here or PM it to me. One favor to ask about that... Can you put proximate amounts for each ingredient? It seems you are already planning to do that, but just in case. LOL
MM mix? Never heard of it. But if it works, who cares? Thank you for your help! You do not know how much it is appreciated.
CF... thanks for calling in reinforcements. I have no doubt that your soil is wonderful. I would like to have it as simple as possible, and PJ is obviously very knowledgeable and experienced.

Do not mess with a dragon...
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm completely blind and I WILL bring up some girls, no matter how long it takes!

Good Morning Grandpa!

Hope you are doing well today.

Who will be putting the grow Tent together and hanging the LED light for you? I would love to do it for you, but I have a feeling you are much too far away from me. Everyone is too far away from me. LOL

:circle-of-love:
Canna while it may be true you "Live" far away from everyone, you are very near to many of us in our hearts sweetie. You are loved and admired by many :circle-of-love:

PJ...I am glad you are thinking that way. If I have a good cross-section... Then I will be able to get my own grow going with little to no help. That's one of the goals.

OG... I am so very grateful to you for getting this going, and I meet with you 100%. Don't forget... You got this rolling!

CF... the same hopes and prayers for you and yours. As far as the 10th... And the lights... My wife and I was going to try to muddle through with the help of our son on the phone. However, if you live close to the Central Valley of California comma I would be happy to have you over!

I'm completely blind and I WILL bring up some girls, no matter how long it takes!

PJ...I am glad you are thinking that way. If I have a good cross-section... Then I will be able to get my own grow going with little to no help. That's one of the goals.

OG... I am so very grateful to you for getting this going, and I meet with you 100%. Don't forget... You got this rolling!

CF... the same hopes and prayers for you and yours. As far as the 10th... And the lights... My wife and I was going to try to muddle through with the help of our son on the phone. However, if you live close to the Central Valley of California comma I would be happy to have you over!

That's why I said everyone is so far away from me. LOL I am clear on the other side of the country, in Michigan.

Glad to read you've got some help on it with your Son and your Wife. Between the two of them and your smart thinking, it will get done perfectly I'm sure.

OG, you brought a tear to my eye. How sweet! Now you have to have a giggle fest to make up for that. :thanks:

Grandpa.

I will work on a soil formula for you to contemplate today.

There are some questions first.

Is it possible for you or someone who helps you locally to shop for items you need? Can you get things from the big box home store and or local grow shops?

Do you have Amazon Prime so that you can have items shipped to your home for free?

If you can shop locally would you be comfortable giving me your zip code? If you are comfortable doing that send me your zip code via PM. With your zip code I can see what is in stock in your nearby big box stores and can call grow shops in your area. That way I can determine cost accurately and save you the effort of searching everything out.

Do you have room to store soil that is mixed but not being used? You will be growing 3 plants in a tent with a 3 foot by 3 foot footprint and will need between 15 and 20 gallons of soil in pots at a time. When the soil is mixed you will have extra soil that will need to be stored. Rubbermaid type storage bins work well.

That's why I said everyone is so far away from me. LOL I am clear on the other side of the country, in Michigan.

Glad to read you've got some help on it with your Son and your Wife. Between the two of them and your smart thinking, it will get done perfectly I'm sure.

OG, you brought a tear to my eye. How sweet! Now you have to have a giggle fest to make up for that. :thanks:
Finally some one in the same legal state as i..i finally am not alone out here..i was near i would be happy to help with set up its the most exciting part to me the expection of your own success...good luck..

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using 420

Finally some one in the same legal state as i..i finally am not alone out here..i was near i would be happy to help with set up its the most exciting part to me the expection of your own success...good luck..

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using 420

Welcome to a fellow Michigander! There are a few of us here. Feel free to hop on to my journal too if you like. :)

Some observations:

Gramps has mentioned no till growing. A complete soil that needs only water is a great idea. No till is not.

No till needs constant inputs to keep the soil healthy over the long haul. In contrast, the complete soil needs only water. When the grow is complete the stem is pulled out of the pot and the soil is dumped out into a bin and recharged with amendments for the next grow. Recharging the soil after a plant is harvested is much less work than maintaining a no till.

SWICK watering would work well for Gramps. A SWICK is a tray with a few inches of perlite in it. Water is added to the tray almost to the top of the perlite. The pot with the plant in it sits on top of the perlite. Water wicks up into the soil in the pot and keeps the plant watered.

The main advantage I see for SWICK here is that Gramps can figure out when to add water by simply checking the water level in the SWICK with his finger. Super easy. I imagine I could do it with my eyes closed no problem.

I also think auto flowering plants would be a good choice initially. With an auto there is much less need to be visually in-tune with the plant. It will go into flower all by itself.

I assume that Gramps will learn to judge how his plants are doing by touch and smell more as time goes by. Auto flowering plants would make the learning process much easier.

SWICK watering system would be perfect here. I totally agree, as well as agree on the Auto flowering plants.

With Auto flowering there is no need for long vegetation times or specific light schedules for vegetation and flower. They flower automatically on their own internal schedule. This will make it easy peasy to grow some good meds, and faster than photoperiod (regular) plants.

Just in case you didn't know what Auto flowering plants are Grandpa. :)

Local shopping is possible, we have two or three big box stores here, and a couple of stand alone garden shops or feed supply stores also.
We do not have Amazon Prime. Yes, plastic bins will be available for extra soil.
Thank you so much, PJ! I will PM you my zip code in a couple of minutes.

PJ... all of that sounds good. I'm afraid I showed my ignorance in referring to no-till soil. I basically thought that it and water only work in the same way. Obviously, I was wrong. I always wondered how Auto seeds work. It sounds like it is quite easy to do. I am leaning in that Direction, and I think thatIdea of the perlite with water is a great way to do the watering. I also like the thought of not having to use and mix up any nuts.

OK.

I located a garden store in your zip code and called them.

For the base of the soil they have Pro Mix HP in a 3.8 cubic foot compressed bale. The bale expands to about 7.5 cubic feet or 50 gallons.

$31.00

It is a large amount of dirt. Peat Moss is less expensive but the promix is pH buffered, and has added aeration and mycos. I would recommend the Pro Mix over Peat moss and an added buffer.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest 1.5 cubic foot bag.

$10.00

Wiggle Worm worm castings 30 pound bag.

$18.00

Perlite 3.5 cubic foot bag.

$13.00

Azomite Rock Dust 10 pound bag.

$20.00

Total cost $92.00 plus tax

Yum Yum Mix is not available where you live. If you can get the other ingredients I will get the Yum Yum Mix to you.

This will make a large amount of dirt. You will be set for a couple of years at least. All the dirt does not have to be mixed up at once. There is plenty of perlite for both adding to the soil and SWICK trays.

Here is a recipe that will fill one 25 gallon bin:

Pro Mix HP, 14 gallons.

Perlite, 2 gallons.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest, 2 gallons.

Wiggle Worm worm castings, 2 gallons.

Yum Yum Mix, 3 quarts.

Azomite, 1 quart.

You would have enough ingredients to make this recipe four or five times. Unfortunately, mixing soil requires some up front investment because many of the ingredients come in large packages.

Money could be saved by using Peat Moss instead of Pro Mix. It would be about $20 less but you'd also need to get some garden lime to buffer the peat.

I'm afraid I showed my ignorance in referring to no-till soil. I basically thought that it and water only work in the same way.

In a no-till growing situation a new seed is planted right into a pot that was just harvested. The soil is not tilled or re-mixed. No-till proponents claim that the soil biota are not disrupted or disturbed leading to better plant health.

Because the same soil is used over and over the gardener must continuously add nutrition to the pot to replace what the plants take out. They do this by using nitrogen fixing cover crops like clover planted alongside the cannabis. They often brew compost teas and soil drenches made of malted barley, coconut water, etc.

In contrast, with a water only complete soil the soil is either discarded after a grow or is mixed with some more amendment before being used again.

PJ... yes, it worked perfectly. Thank you for that information on the no-till and water only soil. I can now see why they are so different and why no till requires a lot more attention.

Back
Top Bottom