BeaverIslander's First Combo Grow - Grand Daddy Purple - PainKiller XL - Blue Blood

High BeaverIslander

That Painkiller is over-ferted and has been all along. The first pic you have of her hurting with burned leaf edge and length-wise curling, (canoeing/tacoing) is nute burn. Sativas don't handle hot soils as well as more indica leaning strains. You should give her a 1 volume flush and see if she perks up. In other words pour the same amount of water as the volume of the pot she's in thru slowly to tone down but not remove all the nutes in there.

She doesn't look like she's burning now but if she's on the edge it will hold back her growth. None of those plants really needed added nutes with soil like you're using until quite a bit bigger. Too much too early will stunt growth rather than promote it. New growth should look yellow at first until the light greens it up. Just means they are rapidly growing.

HPS would be great for flowering but if you used an HID light at this stage you'd want an MH grow bulb.

The others are looking real nice. :thumb:

L8r

This is exactly what I needed: "Sativas don't handle hot soils as well as more indica leaning strains."

Fortunately last week I when it was in that 8" pot I watered it twice (5 days apart) until water ran out and it has started to come around nicely, taller with a lot of new growth. The only additive was the Cal-Mag so between the Mag and flushing, one or both have helped. Now I'll need to watch closely because I moved it (PK-XL) to it's 5 gallon pot a couple days ago so there is fresh soil again. The initial watering was a thorough soaking so I'm not sure if I should flush it again or wait to see if it's big enough now to handle the extra neuts in the fresh pot. Thanks for the heads up on the soil OldMedUser. I have several Sativa dominant strains on the way for my next grow as I will be focusing more on the higher CBD strains. What soil would you recommend? I mentioned it earlier on but I used 1/3 each Fox Farms Ocean Forrest, Perlite and PromixBX.
This PainKiller XL sprouted 36 days ago.
Thanks for ALL of the reply's. As far as lighting goes, I need to make due with what I have for now.
Sun12.jpg

Check out the difference in size between the PainKiller XL on the left (at 36 days) and the Grand Daddy Purp on the right (@ 38.) I tried a couple clones off of the GDP yesterday too
Sun31.jpg

I'm not a dirt farmer BeaverIslander and have never used those type of rich soils but have read lots about them.

As a sativa lover myself and having grown quite a few of them and indicas, I know that they don't like heavy doses of nutes compared to my afghani kush or the NL5.

I would suggest that for the next ones you dilute the rich soil about 50/50 with something inert like ProMix or other soilless media to tone down the nutes. At least when they are starting off. She looks like she's handling it better now so once you get the sativas going good then a hotter mix will probably be A-OK. The other ones seem to like it just fine.

L8r

Howdy Beav, Subbed and here for the ride. sorry to hear about your first ladies. looks like you are getting it dialed in now. From one old guy to another I hear ya about the seeds being a pita back in the day and now being able to vision them as fat bud meds. I'm trying my hand at it too for the first time or maybe both hands, arms, legs, feet, head and ass for the first time. If you don't mind I'd like to watch your ladies grow into BBW's. Keep the bowl green side up, Lick

I am honored that anyone would want to watch but certainly welcome the company. I'm still not sure if I should have put my first grow out there for the world to see, but the feedback I have had is very reassuring and I surely would have crashed and burned without the help. The only thing that I will promise is that I have a lot of time to read and learn.... if I can apply 10% of that to my first grow I should be OK (I think.) I am having a lot of fun in my small grow room, wish I could have started sooner but life got in the way :)
I got a lil package from Herbies today (second one.) While I have some very nice plants right now, I am anxious for round two as they are all higher in CBD content. I am doing this first and foremost for chronic back pain (post op) that the VA has decided to quit treating but would certainly welcome a lil fun while relieving the pain.

I am honored that anyone would want to watch but certainly welcome the company. I'm still not sure if I should have put my first grow out there for the world to see, but the feedback I have had is very reassuring and I surely would have crashed and burned without the help. The only thing that I will promise is that I have a lot of time to read and learn.... if I can apply 10% of that to my first grow I should be OK (I think.) I am having a lot of fun in my small grow room, wish I could have started sooner but life got in the way :)
I got a lil package from Herbies today (second one.) While I have some very nice plants right now, I am anxious for round two as they are all higher in CBD content. I am doing this first and foremost for chronic back pain (post op) that the VA has decided to quit treating but would certainly welcome a lil fun while relieving the pain.

And the feed back is exactly why you should post your first grow!!!! If I had posted my first grow, some one would have seen how scary my plants looked and given me the advise to fix it. :peace:

You could always use just a lighter mi of soil to start em like biobizz light mix or Plagron light mix then when you do the first transfer put em in an all mix or royal mix/bat mix or just keep them in a nutes less soil and add your own as you go

High BeaverIslander

That Painkiller is over-ferted and has been all along. The first pic you have of her hurting with burned leaf edge and length-wise curling, (canoeing/tacoing) is nute burn. Sativas don't handle hot soils as well as more indica leaning strains. You should give her a 1 volume flush and see if she perks up. In other words pour the same amount of water as the volume of the pot she's in thru slowly to tone down but not remove all the nutes in there.

She doesn't look like she's burning now but if she's on the edge it will hold back her growth. None of those plants really needed added nutes with soil like you're using until quite a bit bigger. Too much too early will stunt growth rather than promote it. New growth should look yellow at first until the light greens it up. Just means they are rapidly growing.

HPS would be great for flowering but if you used an HID light at this stage you'd want an MH grow bulb.

The others are looking real nice. :thumb:

L8r

I waited until today so I could get her outside....did a 5 gallon flush with nothing but cal-Mag in the water. We run two separate water conditioners (soft water and a tannin conditioner) so there shouldn't be much of anything else left. I re-potted something like 4 days ago so that soil was probably too hot as well. Thank you for this tip. Hope I didn't drown them :)

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on this now, beaver. With a little help from some friends I believe you're gonna pull off a good grow. Keep up the good work. How was the carp fishing this year?

Bucudinkydow;2604016]Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on this now, beaver. With a little help from some friends I believe you're gonna pull off a good grow. Keep up the good work. How was the carp fishing this year?

Ha ha, I always thought golfing was the only bad habit I didn't have but I suppose I should add carp fishing to that list too :)
Every now and then I go out looking for a dumb walleye...but no carp for me.

Try a carp on a fly rod sometime. Those things pull like a tractor. lol

I got concerned right away when I hear you are using a water conditioner and feeding that to your plants. Generally a very bad thing to do. If you have a ppm pen you should check the water. TDS is likely very too high and way too high in sodium unless you are using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride in your salt tank. Then there's extra K that can cause problems as well. Do a search on "water conditioners and plant growth" to find out more.

I only use RO or distilled water on my plants. Cost a bit more to grow but it works great and I never have to wonder if it's my water that might be causing a problem if one comes up. Toxic salts buildup is just one of the problems users have when using tap water even if it's not conditioned and I see quite a bit of that in the forums here. That may have contributed the burn on your sativa. Small RO units can be had for $100 and are well worth the investment.

L8r

I could draw water from the outside faucet before it goes through the conditioners. Also, have plenty of clean lake water, would either of those help for now?

For sure use the water before the conditioner but if it's chlorinated then you want to leave it in an open pail for 24 hours or better yet add a cheap aquarium air pump and an air stone to bubble the Cl out and oxygenate the water real good before using. Straight lake water might be ok but will have little micro-organisms in it that could be bad for the plants but chances are it won't hurt.

Try to get a water quality report from your supplier. Usually a phone call to your city/town can get you an email of their latest test results or it might be on their website. They may have a report about the quality of the lake water too and if it's good then you could use that and know there's no chlorine or fluoride in it if they add fluoride to the drinking water like many stupid cities do. If they ask why you want this info ask them why they need to know that. Or tell them you want to get into brewing your own beer or start raising salt water tropicals or grow rare orchids. None of their damn beeswax. As a consumer you have the right to that info so screw 'em with a big stick. Best to be polite until you have that info tho. :)

L8r

I have well water so I'd have to send in a sample for analysis. Fortunately today when I flushed the one in question I used the outside water before the conditioners (but didn't do anything about the chlorine.) That should get me by for 5-6 days. I'll need to figure something out before winter though as the lake will be frozen and the outside faucet will be off till spring. It's funny but I figured that using the water that had been (double) filtered would be better for them and I'll probably be lucky if I get anything off of this first grow. I do feel like I'm kinda getting warmed up for the next ones with higher CBD contents though. It'll be good to have everything zeroed in so I can hit the ground running. With all of that said...I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THIS ONE YET! I have made some mistakes but hopefully nothing that has been critical.
Thanks for the help.

P.S. Have I done anything IRREVERSIBLE yet, or should they come around when "I" get it together?

P.S.S. Well, just had another brain fart!! On a whim I checked the pH of the well water which I had not done...just assumed it was the same as what we have INSIDE after going through the water conditioners...WRONG! It was 8.0...I did check and there was no chlorine present so I dragged it back outside, drew a clean 5 gallon bucket, adjusted the pH, added Cal-Mag and flushed it for the second time today. If it isn't water logged now it should be.

Thought I'd bring everyone out today for some sunshine and a nice breeze, maybe a change of scenery will help.
Not only that but my wife got the the first months electrical bill today....Free sunshine should help me out :)

Left side is Ken Estes Granddaddy Purple
Right is the PainKillerXL
3 pinkish pots are the Afghani Regulars
Seedling is Blue Blood
Tuesday.jpg

:hmmmm:i maybe wrong but not sure how good of an idea that is wouldn't bringing them outside open the door for loads of pest and maybe stress them out a bit with the sudden change of lumens and light spectrum :straightface:

I'm hoping they will be OK and maybe even grow a bit. With the exception of the BB seedling they are all over a month old now.I'll be sure they get the 6 hours of darkness and split up the other 18 between natural (when available) and LED.
Bottom line is I need to do this for a bit to keep peace in the family, she was pretty patient with me on the setup costs.

Back
Top Bottom