Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

Sounds perfect for daytime use! I've been reading up on tinctures and it set me off on a bit of a tangent. High proof alcohol is difficult to get hold of in the UK, so I started looking at stills. This lead me back to an earlier idea of brewing alcohol in my grow tent to provide CO2.

You can make them with Glycerin too Max, the last couple batches I put up were done this way.
As far as alcohol goes,of course the stronger the better but I use EverClear 151 and it works just fine. There are several brands (Bacardi 151, Diesel 151 etc.) in my home state but I like the EverClear because it doesn't have that much flavor. Some of that stuff is nasty so I am hoping these Glycerin tinctures will solve that problem. The alcohol ones I mix with Cran-Berry juice and actually like the taste of them that way. Either way I'm letting them age for 2 months to get all the goodies out of it I can.

You can make them with Glycerin too Max, the last couple batches I put up were done this way.
As far as alcohol goes,of course the stronger the better but I use EverClear 151 and it works just fine. There are several brands (Bacardi 151, Diesel 151 etc.) in my home state but I like the EverClear because it doesn't have that much flavor. Some of that stuff is nasty so I am hoping these Glycerin tinctures will solve that problem. The alcohol ones I mix with Cran-Berry juice and actually like the taste of them that way. Either way I'm letting them age for 2 months to get all the goodies out of it I can.

Because of excise duty the cheapest 190 proof alcohol we can get is imported Polish vodka at £57 a lire. That's over $80. It'd cost over $20 a gram in alcohol to make CCO. Have you ever considered boiling the alcohol off your tincture to make CCO?

I'm having a rather harsh fast dried mini bud at the moment, can't wait to cure this PK-XL :)

Because of excise duty the cheapest 190 proof alcohol we can get is imported Polish vodka at £57 a lire. That's over $80. It'd cost over $20 a gram in alcohol to make CCO. Have you ever considered boiling the alcohol off your tincture to make CCO?

I'm having a rather harsh fast dried mini bud at the moment, can't wait to cure this PK-XL :)

Yes I have, and I do just that. I bought the "Megahome water Distiller."
About a week ago I made a double batch of CCO (2oz.) and used 2 1/2 (750ml) bottles of EverClear. I got back two full bottles at $20 each, which saved $40 where I live. They claim you should recover 80% of the total alcohol required.
:high-five:

Thanks for the advice Salton. Do you have a favourite method for making butter that you'd be willing to outline for me please (or perhaps a link)?

Cheers

I have followed the instructions outlined in the tutorial I saw here somewhere. Visit the 420 Kitchen forum for a bunch of info. I have been using 1 pound of unsalted butter to 1 ounce of shake. A few cups of water heated and butter melted into water. Simmer at least 3 hours. When done simmering I strain it through a paint strainer bag. You get two or three for a couple bucks at the hardware store.Don't get the cones, they have cardboard and fall apart. I have been cooking it on the stove, but having trouble keeping temp right.
Right now I have a batch cooking in an electric deep fryer. Better temp control. I have it going at about 200 degrees. I don't know if this is the right temp for sure, but it seems good. I will report back on that.
So I strain it into a plastic ice cream tub. 1.5 or 2 gal.put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning the butter is on top. Just get it out, wipe and or scrape the bottom side, which will be soft.
Cut it as you choose and enjoy.
I can post some pics when I remember how, if you like.

I put it in my oatmeal in the morning, or on toast, or mix with honey, and make brownies. I use about a tablespoon normally.
Lucky for me I am close to a high volume dispensary and buy shake for $10.00- 25.00 an ounce.

Oh, and if you get some new insulated dish washing gloves, it makes the straining more fun.

I answered without looking at the last fifteen or so informative posts. Sorry

nismo12 yea decarb will help as well, I guess it depends what your going to be doing with the butter, generally if your baking with it itll get up to the temperature to change the THCA to THC

So how high do you want to get the temps?

for decarb i go for around 110C/230F for around 45 mins, long and slow plus you get to save most of the terpenes so save a lot of the flavour.

If im not decarbing ill have the water at around 105C/220F to make butter again it saves the terpenes.

OK that's a rolling boil. I have been trying not to boil. I had this batch just under boiling for about 11 hours. Just boiled for a few minutes, now going to strain and cool. I can't wait to test it out this afternoon.
Thank you for the info. I thought I posted this at 6am but didn't send. Butter is almost hard now.

IMG_20160307_072120.jpg
IMG_20160307_065615.jpg

Yes I have, and I do just that. I bought the "Megahome water Distiller."
About a week ago I made a double batch of CCO (2oz.) and used 2 1/2 (750ml) bottles of EverClear. I got back two full bottles at $20 each, which saved $40 where I live. They claim you should recover 80% of the total alcohol required.
:high-five:

Sounds great. I'll look into that thanks. Can I ask how much CCO you got out of 2oz?

I have followed the instructions outlined in the tutorial I saw here somewhere. Visit the 420 Kitchen forum for a bunch of info. I have been using 1 pound of unsalted butter to 1 ounce of shake. A few cups of water heated and butter melted into water. Simmer at least 3 hours. When done simmering I strain it through a paint strainer bag. You get two or three for a couple bucks at the hardware store.Don't get the cones, they have cardboard and fall apart. I have been cooking it on the stove, but having trouble keeping temp right.
Right now I have a batch cooking in an electric deep fryer. Better temp control. I have it going at about 200 degrees. I don't know if this is the right temp for sure, but it seems good. I will report back on that.
So I strain it into a plastic ice cream tub. 1.5 or 2 gal.put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning the butter is on top. Just get it out, wipe and or scrape the bottom side, which will be soft.
Cut it as you choose and enjoy.
I can post some pics when I remember how, if you like.

I put it in my oatmeal in the morning, or on toast, or mix with honey, and make brownies. I use about a tablespoon normally.
Lucky for me I am close to a high volume dispensary and buy shake for $10.00- 25.00 an ounce.

Oh, and if you get some new insulated dish washing gloves, it makes the straining more fun.

Great information thanks +reps

Day 95 Since Seed, 52 Days Since Flip, 36 Days Since First Flower - Gone to Seed

I think I know the answer to this but here goes... do cannabis flowers produce unfertilised seeds whilst waiting for pollen, or do they only produce seeds as a result of pollination?

I ask because I removed a tiny popcorn bud from under the canopy to take a look at Painkiller's progress and there was a seed inside the bud.

If, as I suspect, seeds are only produced as a result of pollination then I guess the girls really didn't like the couple of power outages during electrical work last week.

I'll go see if I can find any nanas in a moment but I really don't know what to do at this point.

The breeder's figures show 8 week flower. If we count from flip they have had 7 weeks 3 days. If we count from first flower they have had 5 weeks 3 days. I checked another bud and there are still a large number of clear trichomes, but one bud has a few ambers. I don't think it's ready to harvest right now, so do I just let this grow run its course?

Help!

Hey max, seeds are a result of pollination sounds like herm may have visited. Check long and well for the nanas, on the flip side if one has herm'd an pollinated other females, youll get some feminised seeds

Hey max, seeds are a result of pollination sounds like herm may have visited. Check long and well for the nanas, on the flip side if one has herm'd an pollinated other females, youll get some feminised seeds

+reps for the information. Thanks Welsh. I kind of thought that was the case but entertained a hope that I was wrong.

I've had a good long look and thought I'd found something but it was the world's smallest flower, not pollen sacs. I really need to find the nanas before the whole crop goes to seed (if it hasn't already).

Frosting has increased overnight so I'll let this run its course after trying my damnedest to find the sperm factory impregnating my girls *packs shotgun and goes hunting*

Back
Top Bottom