Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

Boveda packs are amazing. I used them the first time after this last grow. The herb stays just beautifully hydrated at the right level for maximum aroma and smooth smoking. I will never go without if I dont have to! I have heard you can regenerate them by putting them in a steamer basket wth very low heat. But dont quote me on that. I may just try using my dry and crusty ones at first jar up. Since the packs absorb or release moisture to try and keep it at 62% this may help dry out the stem in the jar and rquire less "burping" Will have to see to make sure. But oh boy are they awesome.

Do you think the boveda packs are worth the money honestly? I wish thinking about getting some. I can understand the humidity issue, we get 40% in the tent on a good day. It has mostly hovered in the 30s the entire grow.

I'm looking it as it's less than £1 per jar (around $1). That's pretty cheap insurance for a high value crop. It's worth it for the stress reduction factor - rightly or wrongly.

I don't yet know if they truly work but for the price and peace of mind I gave it a go. I'm guessing it's not so important for experienced growers used to the drying and curing process.

The buds aren't in the tent any more - RH% was way too low. If I had a veg tent they would be in there with the higher RH%. I think it has to be around 60% for a good slow dry. The tent is at 35%. I'd guess your 40% is a little bit too dry.

I could be completely wrong though. Has anyone nailed the dry process and if so what RH% do you aim for?

I try to jar about 75-80% in 1 liter jars, and burp for an hour or two a couple times a day for about 10 days. I get a good slow dry this way and haven't had a hint of a problem with bud rot or mold. I also try and gently roll the buds around occasionally and in decreasing frequency, to make sure that no two nugs are permanently stuck together. The logic here is that if a problem does develop, hopefully it'll be limited to a subset of the smaller jars and not all.

Once they are stable around 70% we move them up to 2 liter jars with an 8 gram boveda pack in the bottom. We have a couple of the 60 gram packs, I find them far too big. Anyway, the boveda pack slowly lowers the humidity to 62 over another two weeks or so, where I just open them once a day quickly to smell 'em and adjust the hygrometer if necessary for easy viewing.

Not sure if we've nailed it exactly, but I'm satisfied and without complaint. :)

Boveda packs are amazing. I used them the first time after this last grow. The herb stays just beautifully hydrated at the right level for maximum aroma and smooth smoking. I will never go without if I dont have to! I have heard you can regenerate them by putting them in a steamer basket wth very low heat. But dont quote me on that. I may just try using my dry and crusty ones at first jar up. Since the packs absorb or release moisture to try and keep it at 62% this may help dry out the stem in the jar and rquire less "burping" Will have to see to make sure. But oh boy are they awesome.

The benefits of starting late in life I guess, we've had them for every plant we've cured. I'm finding they last for a very long time, but tend to get a bit trichome covered after a few uses.

Also, our jars are getting pretty caked up already. Anybody got a good cleaning/collecting process worked out for that?

Long Overdue Update

Blueberry - 8 weeks, 4 days since flower. 10 weeks 4 days since flip

Painkiller XL#3 - 8 weeks since flower. 10 weeks since flip

These plants have gone a week longer than PK XL#1 did at harvest, but they are slower to mature. PK XL#3 got stressed with overwatering and an almost disastrous repot. She went from the seedling pot to a 5 gallon plastic pot in one leap. There was a long period of stunted growth, possibly filling the pot with roots before eventually becoming the biggest plant in the tent. Yield should be a good 20% over PK XL#1. Amber trichomes are increasing and the plan is to harvest Wednesday morning at the latest. No clear trichomes to be seen. I don't mind this one being a little heavier on the stone.

Blueberry takes a week longer in flower than the Painkillers and it shows. There are a number of clear trichomes and maybe 5% amber on leaves. I plan on giving her at least until Sunday, maybe a little longer.

Here are some gratuitous burple pictures

IMG_47279.JPG

IMG_47314.JPG

IMG_47328.JPG

I'm pleased with both yield and the amount of frost. The main leaves are turning golden now as the plants come to end of life and progress is good

Here's PK XL#1 all jarred up with hydrometer and 62% Boveda pack in each jar

IMG_47119.JPG

The girls have been on plain tap water for the past couple of weeks as I expected to harvest by now. They will have been on water for 3 weeks come harvest.

Hopefully I'll get some better pictures under natural light soon.

I'm curious, have you snuck a sample of #1 yet?

I'm about to smoke the second half of one I made earlier :)

It isn't too strong to function on and is very motivational. It's only had a short cure so far so it will only get better.

Do you have any PK-XL left and if so, is it even better after a good cure?

I'm about to smoke the second half of one I made earlier :)

It isn't too strong to function on and is very motivational. It's only had a short cure so far so it will only get better.

Do you have any PK-XL left and if so, is it even better after a good cure?

I did save some for an occasional smoke but I made Green Dragon out of most of it. I put 3 dropperfuls in a couple ounces of CranBerry Juice and have developed a taste for it. I can function just fine but I know it's there :)

I have one more PK-XL clone in a 5 gallon Smart Pot that is going to be the biggest by a long shot. Not sure if you saw the thread about my "Stubborn Clone" but that's the one. It came off the mom in flower just before the chop so she's pretty wild and crazy. I'll get a pic up next time I get it out.

It does get stronger, and better with time. I feel as though I am getting a better handle on growing so I really look forward to processing this one now that I've been through it a couple times.

I'm glad to see your grow is doing well. Hope you enjoy it!:thumb:

Hey Max I just checked in your grow journal today I'm pretty new to growing, I have one grow under my belt and have the second one going now.
I read through your first page of posts and I have noticed you are going along the same lines as I am with a equal cbd/ thc content.

I got lucky and found a local breeder who came up with a cross he calls Lunar Landing its cbd/ thc content is pretty even but at 13.7% cbd and 10.4% thc with a complete body numbing effect and staggering muscle relaxation effects of a couple muscle relaxers. The breeder has a FB page under Burnsbest and is actually using clones from the strongest females I had and one of the males i had from seed for his next run of Lunar Landing seeds I kept a male and bred it back to the bushiest female and I crossed it with BBk and Skywalker I have high hopes for the BBk x Lunar Landing.

Sent from my XT1032 using 420

Quick Update

Work has been crazy so not had much time to provide any updates.

The buds were cut and put in paper bags in the grow room for 3 days. On Sunday we trimmed off all the fan leaves and stalks as waste. Then we separated sugar trim and popcorn buds from full buds.

IMG_47053.JPG

IMG_47066.JPG

The reason for not cutting off leaves initially is because the tent is at 35% RH and I wanted to slow the dry out.

Must dash, back to the grind. Later on I hope to catch up with all your grows.

Thanks for all the good wishes. More anon.
My how time flies, last time I poked my head in your garden your car had been stolen. Appears your luck is changed for the better, nice job on bringing in a beautiful crop my friend :thumb:

My how time flies, last time I poked my head in your garden your car had been stolen. Appears your luck is changed for the better, nice job on bringing in a beautiful crop my friend :thumb:

Holy, I'd forgotten about that. You need more weed OG my friend, you've still got a memory on ya.

Need to fix that up asap.

I did save some for an occasional smoke but I made Green Dragon out of most of it. I put 3 dropperfuls in a couple ounces of CranBerry Juice and have developed a taste for it. I can function just fine but I know it's there :)

I have one more PK-XL clone in a 5 gallon Smart Pot that is going to be the biggest by a long shot. Not sure if you saw the thread about my "Stubborn Clone" but that's the one. It came off the mom in flower just before the chop so she's pretty wild and crazy. I'll get a pic up next time I get it out.

It does get stronger, and better with time. I feel as though I am getting a better handle on growing so I really look forward to processing this one now that I've been through it a couple times.

I'm glad to see your grow is doing well. Hope you enjoy it!:thumb:

Thanks Beav, and yes, I've been watching the stubborn clone grow.

Hey Max I just checked in your grow journal today I'm pretty new to growing, I have one grow under my belt and have the second one going now.
I read through your first page of posts and I have noticed you are going along the same lines as I am with a equal cbd/ thc content.

I got lucky and found a local breeder who came up with a cross he calls Lunar Landing its cbd/ thc content is pretty even but at 13.7% cbd and 10.4% thc with a complete body numbing effect and staggering muscle relaxation effects of a couple muscle relaxers. The breeder has a FB page under Burnsbest and is actually using clones from the strongest females I had and one of the males i had from seed for his next run of Lunar Landing seeds I kept a male and bred it back to the bushiest female and I crossed it with BBk and Skywalker I have high hopes for the BBk x Lunar Landing.

Sent from my XT1032 using 420

Welcome to my first grow Redmud. The Lunar Landing sounds good, if slightly strong for me at the moment. I'll go check his FB page at some point and would gladly follow along with your journal when you get one set up.

Thanks OG. Your journal and advice helped me get the first of my three plants over the finish line. There's a bigger Painkiller and a Blueberry waiting for the chop in less than a week.

And I replaced the car with a mid life crisis fire breathing supercharged beast.

Painkiller XL#3 Harvest - 10 Weeks 6 Days Flip, 8 Weeks 6 Days Flower

Excuse the fuzzy update, we liberally imbibed on the part cured PK-XL#1 as we trimmed :)

Here are the main buds, much more closely trimmed than PK-XL#1

IMG_47649.JPG

IMG_47658.JPG

A tub of decent buds

IMG_47689.JPG

The popcorn buds that took longer than the rest to trim off. I now appreciate the popcorn aversion I heard mentioned regularly on here

IMG_47696.JPG

There's 336g of trimmed buds and 121g of trimmed popcorn.

457g wet weight in total.

PK-XL#1 yielded 308g wet weight but *loses thread and has stoned introspection moment*.... ah yes, the first plant harvested had more stalks left on at the initial weigh-in.

Blueberry isn't ready to harvest today. Which is lucky because we'd have nowhere to put it right now.

Time for another schmoke.

The Story So Far

I was a little stoned yesterday just after harvest and knew I'd forget something :)

Total yield for the Painkillers (wet weight)

308g PK-XL#1
457g PK-XL#3

Blueberry is 9 weeks 2 days since first flower (breeder says 9 weeks flower) and looks like she will go another week. She's been on plain water for over 3 weeks but I can't do much about that at this stage of the game. She has maybe 20% amber and I'm shooting for 50%.

I'm working at home today so yesterday and today she will be under HPS with the tent door open. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, but I have a spare HPS and thought the change of light may help her finish a little quicker.

In other news, the buds harvested so far are dense and hard. It will be almost impossible to come up with a dry weight for PK-XL#1 as we've been dipping in regularly. We've bought 120 cigarettes (six packs of twenty) and get 25 joints out of a pack of 20, so when we've finished this latest 20 pack that'll be 150 joints out of the stash. I'm not sure if it's allowed, but I'll see about a picture of the next roll to show how much goes in the average joint at Headroom Towers.

In order to get an accurate weight differential on PK-XL#3, those jars will remain untouched for the entire cure. After harvest she was put into paper bags, which then went into a large cardboard box in layers. The tops of the bags are open and we will move them about several times per day to ensure the air in the bags gets exchanged.

Catch y'all later

The Story So Far

In other news, the buds harvested so far are dense and hard. It will be almost impossible to come up with a dry weight for PK-XL#1 as we've been dipping in regularly. We've bought 120 cigarettes (six packs of twenty) and get 25 joints out of a pack of 20, so when we've finished this latest 20 pack that'll be 150 joints out of the stash. I'm not sure if it's allowed, but I'll see about a picture of the next roll to show how much goes in the average joint at Headroom Towers.
Catch y'all later
You lost me here Max. What do cigarettes have to do with it?:lot-o-toke:

I turned the Blueberry round earlier and a few of the back buds have nanners :-/

Is it safe to leave the plant another few days or should I harvest immediately? There's no more than 20% amber so far. I'll go check again shortly to get an idea of how many clear trichomes there are.

If at all possible I'd like to let her go a few more days but I'm unsure how to proceed.

Options are

1. Leave her a few more days after removing nanners
2. Harvest now (I thought harvesting just before lights on is more desirable than during lights on)
3. Harvest before lights on tomorrow (difficult as I'm in the office tomorrow but home Wednesday)

Choices, choices and no clue what to do. Hopefully someone can help me out here. All comments gratefully received.

Back
Top Bottom