BeaverIslander's First Combo Grow - Grand Daddy Purple - PainKiller XL - Blue Blood

Hello BeaverIslander! :rofl::grinjoint::allgood:

Pesky germination misadventures......I wasted a couple hundred quid of seeds myself before I finally cracked it this season.

Well my secret weapon is my wifi router. I soak seeds in water for 24 hours, then transfer them into Root Riots which have already been sunk into substrate in solo cups. I then place solo cups into a high sided plastic container which I place on top of my router which emits continuous and consistent heAt. The substrate is pretty wet when I sink the RR into it and the humidity levels are kept constant as evidenced by the condensation evident in the 'propagator' (check out beginning of my journal for visuals)

I dont water the seedlings until the substrate in the solo cups is bone dry, usually 3 to 7 days after they break soil. Hope this helps you some......Good luck :grinjoint:

OK, so here's the new game plan....the GDP is doing great, gonna leave it alone for now. The PainKiller XL and one Afghani sprouted today and the other two Afghani's are cracked wide open so I put them just "slightly damp" soil, 24" from the LED. The GDP and PainKiller are feminized so I'm not worried about those, but the 3 Afghani's are not. Hopefully I can get at least 1 if not two females out of the three.

Update on the GDP:
Went in soil 7/20
Popped 7/24
Here is is today:
GDP60.jpg

The 3 Afghani regulars and Painkiller XL are also doing well, but the GDP had a couple days head start on them so naturally it looks nicer.

Grand Daddy Purp popped 12 days ago, the other 4 about 10 days.
Here is the GDP:
GDP64.jpg

Next is the PainKiller XL, it is much smaller, not sure if that is just the strain or what is going on. To me it looks healthy, just smaller.
PainKillerXL.jpg

And one of the Afghani Regulars, all 3 (Afghanis) are of similar size.
AfghaniReg.jpg

The GDP and PainKiller XL are both Feminized, the Afghani is not so here's hopping one of them is good.

I have them on 18/6 and put them in a window sill for indirect light for 3-4 hours a day too. No neuts yet.

Looking OK to you folks?

Grand Daddy Purp popped 12 days ago, the other 4 about 10 days.
Here is the GDP:
GDP64.jpg

Next is the PainKiller XL, it is much smaller, not sure if that is just the strain or what is going on. To me it looks healthy, just smaller.
PainKillerXL.jpg

And one of the Afghani Regulars, all 3 are of similar size.
AfghaniReg.jpg

The GDP and PainKiller XL are both Feminized, the Afghani is not so here's hopping one of them is good.

I have them on 18/6 and put them in a window sill for indirect light for 3-4 hours a day too. No neuts yet.

Looking OK to you folks?

I think you are doing fine. You have 2 different strains going that may mature differently. Your Painkiller is a Sativa dominant plant. They will usually take longer to mature than an Indica strain. As long as your new growth is healthy I think you are doing fine. :peace:

I have a problem with the PainKiller XL that is a little over 2 weeks old. Although it had been somewhat smaller than the other 2 strains I have growing at the same time, it had been healthy (I think.) This morning, the leaves are noticeably yellow fringed and they have started to curl up and a couple of tips are brown. I have been very stingy with water, could that cause this? I have not fed them anything, they are still in cups with the Fox Farms Ocean Forest, BiomixBX andf Perlite, equal parts. Under the Mars Hydro 96X5 18/6 but also in indirect sunlight for 3-4 hours when the lights are off. I have been watering with filtered water that has sat for 24 hours before being used. I do not have the equipment to test pH.
Any ideas of what I can do to get this back on track?
Sun1.jpg
Sun2.jpg

and on a happier note, here is the Grand Daddy Purp that is growing in the exact same environment.
Sun3.jpg

21 days for the GDP and I just replanted into the 5 gallon Smart Pot, same soil consistency. I have not put any nuts in and set it 26" from the light. Temp is running in the low to mid 80's humidity is jumping around from 50-65%.
gdp133.jpg
gdp218.jpg

And the other 4 Afghani Regulars and the one PainKiller XL back left.
other31.jpg

Progress report.

The Grand Daddy Purp is doing very well at 21 days in her new the 5 gallon pot.
Th31.jpg

The PainKiller XL is the smallest of the grow but from what I understand being mostly Sativa helps explain that, overall I think it still looks healthy at 19 days.
Th22.jpg

And this is one of the Afghani Regular freebies from Herbies. I have 3 of these and am hoping for at least one female. (19 days.)
Th11.jpg

Comments, concerns or suggestions are welcome.

Sunday group photo.
Large black pot Grand Daddy Purp (23 days), small black pot PainKiller XL (21) 3 pink pots are Afghani Regulars (21).
Sun11.jpg
Sun21.jpg

Cardboard is just to block Mylar for pic.

This plant is pretty yellow, should I be concerned? It is also smaller than Indicas that are the same age. It is the PainKiller XL.

1st grow, probably just paranoid.
PKXL1.jpg

PKXL3.jpg

PKXL2.jpg

Looks to be some kind of deficiency. I would check a leaf deficiency chart and see which one it might be. I'm not experienced enough to say its nitrogen deficiency over something similar like magnesium deficiency. Should keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get continually worse.

Hey mate got ya message thanks, been busy lol
Plants are looking good ,for training at that age I would just be using a skewer to lean them over to 45degrees helps force some early branching , as to the deficiency I would say calcium/ magnesium defiency , check your ph is 6.5 for your mix.
Get some calimagic or calmag that will sort that out.
Always keep checking ph and MAINTAINING it lol
There is a ph range chart for soil and hydro on here have a search ;)
Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to send a message :)

The Grand Daddy Purple now has a 5th set of leaves coming on while the PainKiller XL and three Afghani's have 4. I am not in any hurry... thought I'd let them go for awhile. From what I have read there's no need to be in a big yank, just try to leave them alone so they can get bigger/stronger. (They are still less than a month old.) Have started LST...I think I am finally in pretty good shape. Things have slowed down so I just placed another order with Herbies this morning. I sure do like those folks:thumb:

I would like to try my luck with a clone off the GDP but I am not comfortable enough to do it. Is there a minimum age they should be before you clone?

All seem to be doing OK.The GDP is 30 days old, the others a couple days behind. (I did sneak in a Medicann Blue Blood that has been up for a couplke days.) During this first month the Grand Daddy Purp has been the one to set the curve for growth and beauty while the PainKiller XL seems to be the runt of the litter. Have added Cal-Mag+ to the watering program.
Group Photo
IMAG24812.jpg

GDP
IMAG2482.jpg

PK-XL
IMAG24841.jpg

Afghani Regulars
IMAG24861.jpg

Blue Blood
IMAG24851.jpg

This PainKiller XL is a month old, has 6 sets of leaves and is only 6" tall. I have kept it at about 22" from the LED and am wondering if I should move it further from the light or just leave it alone and accept that it is going to be a small plant. I did give it a diluted down drink of F.F. neuts the other day. The first 3 weeks it had a Magnesium deficiency, don't know if that played into the size or not. So do I worry about it and look for solutions or just leave it alone?
IMAG24832.jpg

Mate get yourself a hps honestly at thirty days veg my babies are huge .
Led just don't cut it for veg period people may disagree but I stand by what I observe

If I had the room and the temperature I would go for an HPS. In my tight grow situation I'm using an LED because it's lower in heat. If you look at my current grow, you will see that I've gotten a lot of vegetative growth. Especially down under the fan leaves.

That being said, from what I have read you should keep the LED lights greater than 24 inches away from the plants in order to get the right spectrum. I believe mine are too close. I've added some CFL bulbs in as well. For perspective my LED is only 5-6 inches.

High BeaverIslander

That Painkiller is over-ferted and has been all along. The first pic you have of her hurting with burned leaf edge and length-wise curling, (canoeing/tacoing) is nute burn. Sativas don't handle hot soils as well as more indica leaning strains. You should give her a 1 volume flush and see if she perks up. In other words pour the same amount of water as the volume of the pot she's in thru slowly to tone down but not remove all the nutes in there.

She doesn't look like she's burning now but if she's on the edge it will hold back her growth. None of those plants really needed added nutes with soil like you're using until quite a bit bigger. Too much too early will stunt growth rather than promote it. New growth should look yellow at first until the light greens it up. Just means they are rapidly growing.

HPS would be great for flowering but if you used an HID light at this stage you'd want an MH grow bulb.

The others are looking real nice. :thumb:

L8r

Back
Top Bottom