Love It or Leave It?

• Love It

Votes: 55 51.4%
  • Leave It

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
[WARNING: Lengthy post ahead. This might be my last post in this thread. It was brought to my attention earlier that my posts are lengthy, which is making things more difficult when people are trying to find and deal with bugs, address people's issues, et cetera. And this is a valid point. Some of you are great at this sort of thing, even going so far as to present concise bullet-point lists. I can begin a post with one thing to post about - and end up with eleven large paragraphs. I also seem to get "locked in" to a way of doing a thing, find breaking these habits very difficult, and get frustrated in the process. This has to be coloring my posts! Maybe a new way actually is better, but I just cannot see it for the frustration that my broken learning ability causes me. Add to that the fact that I do not seem to have a decent set of "filters." If I think a thing, it ends up being spoken (or in print). And we've all had those "Oh, f*ck!" moments, lol - but I probably seem like more of an arse at times than the next person, because most people have sense enough to not actually speak/type such thoughts. Again, these things have no place in a support thread that's being actively monitored by the staff/admin/owner so that they can address real issues as quickly as possible. For all these reasons - and more, lol - I am not only less helpful than I thought I was... I am also making things harder for those dealing with the issues. Rob, staff, and members, I apologize.]

Well, I just challenged the new forum software without thinking about it ;) . I've gotten into the habit of... When reading a thread and wishing to reply to several posts, opening replies into separate tabs. I do this because some forums have a limit when multi-quoting (e.g., "tag" seven posts but only five show up when I start a reply). I can pull quoted text from many posts this way, break them up in order to address each point and remove the text I am not replying to, then add my text under each. Afterwards, I post the finished product and close the additional tabs. Just now, however, I tried hitting the multi-quote button for each post, thinking I'd know what the limit is for this new software. And there might not be a limit - because every post I so "tagged" showed up! This is a WIN for the new setup, IMHO. IF I can break my habit (difficult :rolleyes: ), this will make things simpler for me.

yes, my file were probably too big - but they've been that sort of size for a while, just the old system was sorting that out during upload. Pity my celebratory mega update (for the new site, how ironic) is going to be un-viewable for most people! (no emoticon for DOH!). Maybe once the thumbnails get sorted they'll get 'fixed'. It's too late for me to go back and edit it now...

Although I had assumed that each image would be optimized for web-usage at the time of uploading it, this might not be the case. If not, it could be because an option simply wasn't set or even because the server is under a heavier load than normal (due to importing/etc. of old data) and there was a conscious decision to try to minimize the load so as to not cause the forum to become unresponsive. In other words, the behavior we are seeing NOW might not be the status quo after things get sorted.

I was more asking where did you see the info about size...

Using Firefox, I can right-click on an image and select "View Image Info." I also happened to save that particular image file and, therefore, could view its properties locally.

The 'Jump to new' function is starting to work really well as I visit more threads.

There's another reason I am a not a good choice for listing issues. I think that things "starting to work really well" might be translated as "we are starting to see how the new forum is meant to function." That is to say, what we have been seeing previously (and maybe still are) might be attributable to the whole data importation process not being 100% accomplished yet. The various databases being used here... Well, they're certainly not small, lol, it's not like deciding you wish to use a different address book application and spending 30 seconds importing the old database data into the new address book app. I would not expect to see full performance out of an engine that is still in the process of being finished - and it would be unfair to expect to see it - and the same thing probably applies here.

I just... <SIGH> I am just too emotionally attached to 420 Magazine.

I find it disconcerting that we have such easy access to others' media when inserting pics.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do we not have exactly the same access as we did before? IOW, we could view other people's images in their member galleries, and choose to post one or more of them in our messages. With the forum back to stripping metadata from the images, things seem (to me) to basically be the same. Or am I missing something? (Entirely possible, lol.)

Is there a way to please add a link to the next page at the bottom of pages? EDIT: ooh! that was like magic! suddenly it's there - must've been being coded as I typed!

I love that! Thank you, Rob, for leaving the strike-through permission set at default. Now, if we edit one of our posts, we can effectively leave prior text in the edited message if we feel that completely removing it could cause confusion due to some having already read (and possibly replied to) the original message, et cetera. Another WIN for the new setup.

I was just on a thread (420 Fotographer's thread) and many of the images there load super-duper fast and are like large thumbnails (but full size in the window) which you can click on to open the pic in it's own window. Is this the result of the image optimisation/thumbnail generation that going on in the background? I hope so!

I'd like to see images shown large enough to be useful, but small enough to fit into the limitations of my physical display size and of a more reasonable file size (reasonable here meaning small enough not to concern those using cell phones - paying for their data - and those on "slow" broadband). I find that I favor the "big thumbnail in post" setup, because it allows the viewer to easily see the original uploaded image by clicking on the thumbnail. I am thinking that this might eventually be a WIN for the new setup, after things settle down.

Is there a way to not be 'followed'.

I actually posted a thread asking the same thing, LOL. I'm still, well, ME (paranoia incarnate ;) ). Truthfully, I haven't been hassled by LEO for years - and when I was, it was mostly getting read the riot act for failing to exhibit common sense. But I still cringe at the thought of someone being able to keep tabs on me, vis-à-vis knowing when I get online and what I am doing. But I might be reading more into the "follow" function than is actually there, IDK.

Do you think we're the most unruly beta test team there's ever been... ?

I'm actually speaking from experience here, lol: NO! But some of us are probably "a bit over the top," and some (me) might, on the balance, be slowing the process.

Copying the links to another app and adding them from there to my original message broke the links. *sigh*

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But this might be a temporary thing. Web links aren't like page numbers in a book, they can be far more fluid than that. Everything was set up for the old forum software, and that's almost certainly not the way that the new software expects it to be. This is very much a time of flux. (And even with books, a paragraph's location (page number) can change from one edition to the next.)

I typically have a dozen windows open on the site, and I'm usually working in all of them. Lol!

I thought it was just (a portion of) those of us using desktops/laptops who did that. I didn't even know it was possible on a tablet. I need to buy one of those things if I ever buy a lottery ticket and win the jackpot. Or two (first one going to Mom so she can start reading again). It would be awesome to be able to use the forum in different locations.

One other thing, we have no way to jump from one page to another by page number. I've had to backtrack or inch forward one page at a time. My study hall alone has 295 pages. You can imagine the frustration.

Again, I am not positive I understand. Are you referring to changing the page number in the HTTP address to reflect page 127, for example? I've done that before when I wanted to dig into a lengthy thread and the choices for which page to go to only show those close to the beginning and end of a thread. I confess I haven't noticed how page numbers are now being dealt with. Some websites/forums don't even show a different link when one navigates, because everything is being handled dynamically by the website's script(s). This is annoying to me, but I always figured most people didn't even notice.

Does the software not have a box for typing in a specific page number to the right of the listed choices? Again, I hadn't noticed - but I hope it does (or that such a feature can be easily added).

The emoticons spread joy all through the community. Thank you for that work. :hug:

This is an example of different people having different priorities, lol. I use the things, but wouldn't be upset if all of them disappeared. I don't "see" any difference between:
;)
and
Code:
 ;)

...so I was surprised at the number of comments I saw requesting work be done on the... err... "smiley situation." And your wants are just as valid as mine. <LAUGHING> Now that I think about it, your wants probably more accurately reflect those of the average forum member than mine do, so they might be better treated as being more valid than mine.

Following means following a member (watching is the equivalent to subscribing). E.g., I am now following you - am curious to see how it functions. I get the idea that I’ll get an alert every time you do so much as scratch yourself somewhere on the forum!

<NODS>.

For page specific jumps, touch/click in the page number box and there’s an option to insert a page number.

AWESOME!

So ‘following’ SweetSue simply added her to a following list that seems to be my old friends list (which was tiny, I never really did much with it). So that means anyone can ‘follow’ (‘friend’) anyone, whether that person wants to be followed by them or not. At least with friend requests one could be discerning and accept requests from those with whom we’re actually friendly with.

^THIS^ . IMHO, the person "being followed" ought to be the one who decides whether or not such a thing is allowed (preferably, on a person by person basis). Would be nice if we could decide which activities are eligible for information-sharing, too. In the real world, if one does not wish to be stalked, lol, there are mechanisms in place to discourage the thing.

So far no alerts about what Sue is doing tho ... :cool:

Did anyone else just get hit with a mental image of Sue on one of those (derogatory adjectives withheld ;) ) "reality" television shows, LMAO? "What's Sue Doing Now?" The ad rates for that one might be quite high...

It occurs to me that I could stop letting my threads get so long.

Every time I'm offline for a few days (or several hours?), I have to spend TIME reading, playing catch-up. I can't see your threads not becoming lengthy. You're so popular (for good reason) that the audience participation can be staggering at times.

So....... many of our frustrations are because we're an impatient lot.

One of my three (642, lol?) biggest problems.

I guess that means it's time for a breather.

I'm going to take a break from these troubleshooting threads. The things I'm seeing (and complaining about) might not even be valid concerns if they're as a result of this being a time of transition. Other things... If I revisit this section in a week or two, I might see threads about them, with explanations and instructions.

I just discovered the coolest feature. :yahoo:

I was composing on my iPhone and decided I wanted to do it on the iPad instead. I'd just started, only a couple sentences in, so I figured I'd just start all over.

When I opened the page in the iPad the composition I was work on was there waiting for me. Now that is a feature I can appreciate. :slide:

Err... The previous forum setup had also an auto-save function. It might not have been so obvious, since we had to click on a thing to recover that auto-saved content. I've been noticing that this setup is much more... "hand-holdy," configured (or, perhaps, written) to try to do things for us. I'm generally against such (invasive) behavior from computer programs OR people. But I can see the utility in certain situations.

I know - it’s super hey!? It works going from mobile device to PC (desktop) and vice versa as well.

Always did, lol. It just wasn't automatic, we had to choose to use the prior content. The old multi-quoting function was (sort of) the same way. At times, the latter became annoying when I'd begin a reply in a thread and I'd be asked if I wanted to use quoted content from completely different threads that I'd marked and ended up not using. So I'm going to have to consider the new multi-quoting routine a WIN, even though we have to do an extra step with it (the pop-up asking us which of the posts we've marked we actually want to use).

The image loading thing is still killing a few image heavy pages but we know that’s going to get sorted.

Yes, almost certainly. Makes me wish that they'd done the whole importation/transition thing in the background while leaving the prior incarnation up and running. But that might have necessitated paying for more server space - and Rob's bill from the hosting company have to be significant enough already, lol, considering the amount of activity the forum generates. (The person behind one of the linux OS that I used to use was hosting the OS (downloads) on one of his servers and basically almost got bankrupted - had to take out a short-term loan to pay a bill - because he began seeing "terrabyte data transfers" per month, and is probably the only person I know short of those who run Amazon and Google who have to think about what "exabyte" means.)

Additionally... From experience, I know that a small team of testers - however dedicated they may be - will NEVER find all the bugs/issues that the whole user base will end up discovering.

But in general, the site looks really slick - in a good way - and images are sharp. Navigation and typing are better on the iPad then the phone for sure. It really does feel like a big step up in terms of the quality of the UI. And I really like that the views are similar - rather than the app being so wholly different to the desktop site. The app was convenient but I’m probably in the minority who would say it was pretty annoying really. As this settles in and we all get proficient with it it’s fast becoming superior. Streaking into the 21st Century we go! :high-five:

I'm still trying to get used to it, personally (and most of this is due to my own mental state). But THIS is still the online cannabis-information resource that I send people to when asked about such things. And there are many reasons for this...

So hey, @420 I know there’s precious little room on th phone screen, but is it possible to have navigation at the top as well as the bottom (like it is on the iPad)? (Not saying it should be a huge priority, but it would help - esp while Jump to view is still catching up).

I still don't know how y'all do it, even with good vision <SHUDDERS>. I read ebooks on my phone, and am constantly tapping my volume switch to turn the pages because I've had to increase the font size so much.

I have noticed that some cell phone apps have their menus set up so that they do not automatically appear at all, and there is ZERO space taken up by any kind of "menu button." Instead, the user slides his/her finger from the left edge of the screen to the right, causing a menu to appear. I do not know that this would be a good thing to see in a "420 Magazine app," because I am not one of its users. But I do strongly feel that such a setup might be the way to go, here. (If/when a new app is ever developed.)

And - some way of hanging the thread title to the top of the screen as you scroll down would be awesome, on all devices. The moments of “hang on, which friggin thread am I in” are happaening all the time.

This might be another thing that would be better displayed after the user "swipes right" to bring up a menu. That way, it's instantly available - but doesn't take up any of that very limited screen real estate when one is reading content.

sometimes I'm carrying on two conversations with the same member at the same time on two different threads.

In general: The older I get, the less capable I am of multi-tasking. You have a few years on me. You must have spent far less time actively killing brain cells than I did. Oh, the things we are told - but don't have sense enough to believe - when we are young, lol.

Specifically: Sue, I wish I had known you when I was in a relationship with a certain woman who I care very, very much about. ONE of her issues is rather severe (at times) episodes from her schizophrenia. There are times when her communications skills are, frankly, nonexistent; she might slur her words, be able to get them out only very slowly, and, in terms of her conversations (and speaking charitably), be rather "disjointed." However, at other times, she'd speak "90 miles an hour," oft times carrying on five different conversations with the same person, which was sometimes difficult for ME to track / participate in. And other people... Half of them didn't even talk to her, the other half... You - and, of course, she, since she's pretty much the most intelligent woman I've ever met - could tell by their body language and actions that they didn't really want to be talking to her, either. Stuff like this, whew, I don't know... She has to deal with so many issues that affect every facet of her life as it is, and then you pile on the fact that she was lacking the therapeutic benefits that simple conversation provides, you know?

Err... This message is already longer than I meant it to be. Time to hit the magic button. I hope that all the forum bugs (and simple issues caused by misunderstanding how the new setup works) will be solved soon - and I know that they will be, because we have a wonderful staff and user base. But I'm going to stop participating in the process because I have found it too difficult to "speak" in short posts, and almost impossible to do unless I constantly concentrate on it. In other words, I'm not withdrawing because I'm mad or even upset - I just realized I'm slowing the process as much as I'm helping with it. Best of luck to everyone where this stuff is concerned, I'm glad that most of you have better communication skills, and... THANK YOU(!!!) for doing what you do.

A user friendly format that fits in my pocket. Thats all I need. I just deleted a rambling bitchfest cause its pointless. I would love to stick around through this. Can we at least get honest up to date info?

I would love to see a "cancel" button appear on the compose box.

A user friendly format that fits in my pocket. Thats all I need. I just deleted a rambling bitchfest cause its pointless. I would love to stick around through this. Can we at least get honest up to date info?

Its been a challenge indeed, I still cant Ban Spambots yet. But I guarantee, 420 and Teddy are running on fumes trying to Fix what the Programmer, who Bailed, would have done

Biggest thing they are doing is fixing Bugs/Glitches. Then the I would Like this list will start to be implimented.

Dont assume because a scroll bar on the top for phones isnt done yet they arnt listening, they are, to all 200 hundred of us...:goodjob:

In time it will be complete, and remember, it was rolled out becouse the Phone App wasnt supported and no photo Uploads, well we can upload photos now:cheer::bravo::thumb::welldone::surf::adore::nomo::slide: and Smileys on the Phone

And a trick . . . if you really like the mobile interface, you can reduce your Chrome window on a desktop & it automatically changes to the mobile version when it gets to a certain size.

Ian

I’m running chrome and have no gallery tab on the green tab. If I open entertainment it will show: Gallery-Cannabis Photos. That will take you to where you need to be.

Thank you, Pennywise. I'm glad I'm not the only one missing a menu. I will follow entertainment the next time I take pics. :)

You guys must be seeing the wrong area or need to dump cache.

What is the url of the page you are on and can we get a screenshot of what you see?

Before you do, please clear cache, cookies, temp files and reboot, then come back and try. :thanks:

Everyone should have the GALLERY tab at top right.

More awesome features.

"Mention & replied" alerts are time savers

"jump" to new is like magic

cursive path for laptop users to see which page I jumped from.

up and down arrows make life easier

being able to see the string of conversation and being able to add more than one person for chat

choosing categories before media upload

categorized animated emoji's are easy on the eyes because they are optional to see

toggle between code and visual is a happy medium for old html coders like me.

privacy options are a beautiful thing.

It's all coming together, you can see the amount of effort that went into finding this completely up-to-date features template. This migration was not an easy thing to do for the 420 team. I kinda feel spoiled now. This is saving so much time for me while still getting the message out.

If it's any consolation, I was doing research and saw another 420 related site was still down with a notice saying their photo uploads are not working. For you guys to make such a fast executive decision was THE BEST thing you could have done and that was not easy. I guess these things that force our hand, can turn out to be massive improvements.

It all happens for a reason.

:goodjob::Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom