Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Wonder no more. Come join us in #SIP Club. (Link in my sig).
Thanks @Azimuth! I will come join the SIP club. I already got buckets and hardware for my next grow. I wasn't quite prepared with this run so still trying to improve my watering. In fact im going away this weekend and ill by testing the Vivosun automatic watering system. Ill post pics.

Thanks @Azimuth! I will come join the SIP club. I already got buckets and hardware for my next grow. I wasn't quite prepared with this run so still trying to improve my watering. In fact im going away this weekend and ill by testing the Vivosun automatic watering system. Ill post pics.
I’m interested in that! Tag me when you post it so that I don’t miss out.

Thank you! Not sure if it’s the good genetics from @RoyalQueenSeeds or the SIP or nutes or grow media, I’m guessing it’s all of that!

I tell you what though, with how well they are doing I am on the SIP train for sure!

Yours are looking nice and healthy! Looks like your doing it right to me!

And is it a problem that I am already writing the base of my next grow journal that starts September! Hahaha I think I have a problem :rollit::ganjamon:
I know if I ever try journal again things are going to be a lot different. Actually sit down with a game plan instead of running around with my head cut off.

I know if I ever try journal again things are going to be a lot different. Actually sit down with a game plan instead of running around with my head cut off.
This right there!! This is why I start it so early and then I can tweak it as I learn during my current grow :)

I also am interested it this too!

What do we think, time to raise my lights? According to my Uni-t meter I’m at 1170ppfd at the top of the watermelon which is closest to the light.

Viparspectra recommends 16” @ 150w and she is currently 6”. I have both the lights at the 150w but might be pushing it a bit.

I’m noticing some odd curling of her leaves too.

Thoughts?

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

I don't think you'll lose anything by raising the light at this stage and watching how the leaves react. 1170 seems kinda high for veg and if you're seeing them complain, well there you go!
And done! Back to that 16-12” distance from the lights.

On a side note I think I am going to start upping the nutes a bit. Tested my ppm today for the first time ever and it came in at 648 using 4.5g/gal of the MC. Everything I’m seeing gives a range of 800-900 ppm and with the amount of light they are getting and looking at the color of them I think I can push my ppm into the mid to upper end of that. I’m also going to add in a dose of Bushdoctor and roll the next 2 weeks like that and then reevaluate at that point.

Will do an official update tomorrow.

Day 24 and Day 14 of veg:

Looks like that are reaching for the light a little more now that I raised the lights a bit.

The WG is just a shrub of a plant. And the Watermelon is starting to thicken at the top a bit too.

Everyone is looking happy and cruising right along.

Speaking of cruising…. My wife won a cruise from work and it puts us out of the house right in the middle of flowering. So I’m going to build a larger reservoir and toss a pump in there to water them a few times while I’m gone. Thanks @Wastei for the idea!

And done! Back to that 16-12” distance from the lights.

On a side note I think I am going to start upping the nutes a bit. Tested my ppm today for the first time ever and it came in at 648 using 4.5g/gal of the MC. Everything I’m seeing gives a range of 800-900 ppm and with the amount of light they are getting and looking at the color of them I think I can push my ppm into the mid to upper end of that. I’m also going to add in a dose of Bushdoctor and roll the next 2 weeks like that and then reevaluate at that point.

Will do an official update tomorrow.
You have an "uneven canopy", with three plants making up the canopy. The tallest plant will receive the most light, assuming the the PPFD is consistent across the light. But it's not. Most light have signficant differences in PPFD, at the commonly used hang heights. In your situation, I'd move my plants around to take advantage of that.

I'd move the tallest plant well away from the center of the tent and put the two smaller plants in the highest PPFD areas around the center of the tent. You're using two lights so the PPFD map will look different than the one at this link but, my hunch is that you'll have two areas with the highest PPFD, those areas being directly under each light or about 1 from the center of the tent. That's a SWAG on my part - your light meter will let you know.

The reasons to move them is simple - there's a direct, almost linear relationship between the amount of light and crop quality and crop yield and, second, a small difference in distance from a grow l light results in significant reduction in PPFD.

Cited paper attached.

From the paper:
1708709912985.png

When I take light readings, I sample enough points represent the canopy. My plant is in day 53 and it's 2' x 2' x9" tall. It's a photo (I stopped growing autos because they tend to grow outside of my tent), that's been topped and LST'd.

By sampling nine points, I get this PPFD/DLI map.

1708710059455.png

By plotting the data like this for your tent and your plants, you'll be able to adjust the location of your plants so that they can all maintain good light levels. Cannabis is a light whore loves light and, assuming that the rest of your grow is in good shape, turning up the dial to give your plants more food is an easy way to improve your grow.

Attachments

• Frontiers in Plant Science - Yield, Potency, and Photosynthesis in Increasing Light Levels.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
Man thank you for posting this! It reminded me that when I was originally planning this grow that I had fully intended on a daily rotation of the plants in 1 location and then a weekly rotation of positions in the tent to encourage a more even grow. Once things got going I’ve managed to do the in location rotations but completely spaced on actually moving them between the 3 locations.

I will read through your post in more detail tonight when I get home from work.

Ok seems like I have an imbalance somewhere. Went in the tent with the meter to move everything around to get them into sweet spots as far as lighting is concerned and noticed these brown spots….

My initial thought is cal/mag deficiency. What does it look like to you?

Not Ca/Mg that starts in new growth at the very top. Do you have condensation in your tent overnight? Is this on all of the plants or just one?
On 2 of the 3 plants and no condensation, however that actually might be from me spraying the soil the other day or from droplets falling during feedings?

Day 25 and Day 15 of veg:

Moved the plants around to try and get them into better light positions. The banner and wg are sitting at 945 ppfd and the watermelon is now at 970.

I changed the feeding schedule up a tad and mixed in a full dose of Bushdoctor cal/mag and then 6g of MC to bring my water ppm to 881. Well within the range. Straight tap water is 280 ppm so we will see how that goes :)

This time next week they will be in the first hours of flip. I’m hoping that the banner and wg stretch a tad as they are very bushy at the moment. The watermelon might end up being a bit larger than I was expecting.

Yeah I have the room in ppm for the cal/mag and from what I understand it helps with uptake so why not add it.

I will keep an eye on them over the next week or so and not make any additional changes or adjustments other than flip.

Back
Top Bottom