Bruce Banner Marries A Watermelon - SIP Grow

Wastei makes a good point. I'm reading they store K in veg to use in flower, wish I could source that, anyway, strategically saving leaves is a game I play. Makes for a lot of leaf bending until after stretch. Then if buds can't see light from moving leaves around they go.
They really look happy as it gets!
I see leaves as sun catchers, food and armor for the plant. I only really believe in "Lolipoopping" the lower parts not receiving adequate light.

Heavy defoliating is only really beneficial to prevent rot by removing leaves laying on top of each other and better air flow. Removing leaves will in most situations negatively affect yield.

Happy plants and happy growing! Cheers!

I like to take off the original big fans after the plant starts with serious growth because it forces it to push new growth to the top where I want it. I find that plants know how much foliage they need (which is why I don't defol in flower...I don't want the plant expending energy on new leaves), so what I take off in veg always gets replaced where the plant is doing the most growth.

Day 20 and Day 10 of veg:
They are still cruising. The WG and Watermelon seem to be doing fine from the topping yesterday. This morning when I checked on them they were all praying to the light. This afternoon the are a bit more relaxed.

Watermelon all but drank the reservoir dry so I topped that off and added some more to the WG as well. Both with 3.5g/gal.

The Banner looks like it might be showing signs of nute burn. So I think I’m going to top of the reservoir with just water to lower the nute ratio that’s currently in there. The other two plants are doing just fine with the nute strength at the moment.

Day 21 and Day 11 of veg:

Figured I would grab some pics this morning while they are a little more perky. Topped off their reservoirs again this morning. Will let them deplete that and then do a top watering to help develop/establish roots closer to the surface to help support the weight of the plant later in life. Will probably do every third to fourth watering from the top.

Day 21 quick update:

And off with her head!! Banner got topped this afternoon. So all three plants have now been topped.

Your doing something right. They're bigger than my 2 month old plants. I think my littles were the same age and they're still sprouts. Almost feel I'm not getting enough CO2.

I have a 4” intake and a 4” exhaust both on full 24/7 and then I have 3 6” circulating fans on their lowest setting inside the tent.

I keep the grow room so that it has fresh air intake but I have closed off the return from that room as even with all the charcoal in these filters the smell still makes it upstairs. Once I did that poof no smell!

I’ve also been pretty strict about trying to stay in the recommended vpd range as best I can. So 60% RH and 79° degrees as constantly as I can for the moment. Those numbers will change as we go through the grow and I’m not able to keep that up 100% but I figure if I can hit it 60 - 75% of the time I’m happy with that.

I have a 4” intake and a 4” exhaust both on full 24/7 and then I have 3 6” circulating fans on their lowest setting inside the tent.

I keep the grow room so that it has fresh air intake but I have closed off the return from that room as even with all the charcoal in these filters the smell still makes it upstairs. Once I did that poof no smell!

I’ve also been pretty strict about trying to stay in the recommended vpd range as best I can. So 60% RH and 79° degrees as constantly as I can for the moment. Those numbers will change as we go through the grow and I’m not able to keep that up 100% but I figure if I can hit it 60 - 75% of the time I’m happy with that.
I have my 4 inch running constantly in the 5x5 that creates a positive pressure in the room which probably isn't ideal. Then the 8 inch kicks on to keep the humidity in check. I wasn't able to run it 24\7 cuz it was drying my room out even on the lowest fan speeds. Been trying to stay within the vpd as well and it's been hard. Could hit 79 and 60 but never with the big fan going constantly. So now I'm running the both fans sitting at a consistent 72 and 60. I added a ten gallon pot of marigolds which has been helping. Then just now I come to the realization once those plants get big I'll have to incorporate a dehu which I have just wasn't wanting to run it. I have a ultrasonic humidifier which isn't ideal in my situation with hard water so I've been trying to be conservative. Haven't been able to find distilled water within 45 miles. Spaced out Ro. So I'm conditioning the hard water using grow bags inside the tent to filter the stuff that isn't conditioned because I didn't want to wreck my carbon filter. Once I restore and clean the dehumidifier I can use that water but it's not suggested. In my head it was all supposed to work out lol

I have my 4 inch running constantly in the 5x5 that creates a positive pressure in the room which probably isn't ideal. Then the 8 inch kicks on to keep the humidity in check. I wasn't able to run it 24\7 cuz it was drying my room out even on the lowest fan speeds. Been trying to stay within the vpd as well and it's been hard. Could hit 79 and 60 but never with the big fan going constantly. So now I'm running the both fans sitting at a consistent 72 and 60. I added a ten gallon pot of marigolds which has been helping. Then just now I come to the realization once those plants get big I'll have to incorporate a dehu which I have just wasn't wanting to run it. I have a ultrasonic humidifier which isn't ideal in my situation with hard water so I've been trying to be conservative. Haven't been able to find distilled water within 45 miles. Spaced out Ro. So I'm conditioning the hard water using grow bags inside the tent to filter the stuff that isn't conditioned because I didn't want to wreck my carbon filter. Once I restore and clean the dehumidifier I can use that water but it's not suggested. In my head it was all supposed to work out lol
Just went to check things out because as I wrote that it wasn't making sense why I've been at 72 all day. When I cycled through the temp settings on my heater yesterday I must have been reading what it was at and set it at 70 instead of 75. Was high 70s when I went to bed. Figured with the lights off and fan running the big room would drop to around high 60s. So this morning seeing 72 wasn't alarming and thought the fan going all night with the lights off brought it that low. So hopefully with another mistake fixed and with the lights on I'll hit high seventies to get closer to vpd. I'll have to start dropping that gradually anyway like you said. My environmental issues are why I went so heavy with the preventive spray. All the fluctuations are making me nervous.

Just went to check things out because as I wrote that it wasn't making sense why I've been at 72 all day. When I cycled through the temp settings on my heater yesterday I must have been reading what it was at and set it at 70 instead of 75. Was high 70s when I went to bed. Figured with the lights off and fan running the big room would drop to around high 60s. So this morning seeing 72 wasn't alarming and thought the fan going all night with the lights off brought it that low. So hopefully with another mistake fixed and with the lights on I'll hit high seventies to get closer to vpd. I'll have to start dropping that gradually anyway like you said. My environmental issues are why I went so heavy with the preventive spray. All the fluctuations are making me nervous.
I don’t think those numbers are all that alarming. I think consistency in environment with any plant is key. Try to avoid the big temp/rh swings as best you can.

The way I look at it is to do the best I think, then ask here get corrected LOL and then go from there.

I think the combo is working and thanks to everyone who contributes.

KeO, I topped my Frosted Skywalker, auto and it didn't like it. Following to see what your auto's do? These are auto flowering right? SSgrower
Nope these are photo’s

I topped my gorilla cookies autos last grow and they did fine with it.

Day 22 and Day 12 of veg:

They are looking pretty happy! They were all fed this morning with 4g/gal and 1tsp of Bushdoctor Cal/Mag. I also sprayed the soil with their feed water as well.

Everyone hasn’t skipped a beat from being topped. With the rate they are going I think March 1st will be flip day. That puts them at exactly 30 days from day 1 of seedling and 20 days in veg.

Your grow looks great! Those big broad leaves on your plants are gorgeous. They appear to be twice the size of my Fastbuds Gorilla Cookies Autos that started on about the same day. I am top watering in 5 gal cloth pots and I have to wonder what would be happening if I had gone with SIPs.

PXL_20240221_132340782.jpg

Thank you! Not sure if it’s the good genetics from @RoyalQueenSeeds or the SIP or nutes or grow media, I’m guessing it’s all of that!

I tell you what though, with how well they are doing I am on the SIP train for sure!

Yours are looking nice and healthy! Looks like your doing it right to me!

And is it a problem that I am already writing the base of my next grow journal that starts September! Hahaha I think I have a problem :rollit::ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom