Budman Growing Some Classics

Every time I start to get swayed by the promise of LED, I see an HID grow and remember how well they do. Very tough to switch after seeing the photo above!

Cinderella 99 - Brothers Grimm (Cindy XX) and Female Seeds (added that thanks to seeing yours)
Durban Poison - Dutch Passion and Nirvana (Urban Poison)
Super Lemon Haze - Green House
GSC - Original Sensible and BC Bud Depot
Blueberry - Seedsman and 00 Seeds

The White Widow was a freebie and did not catch the name of the breeder. Hopefully it's labeled when I get it!

I think you'll be good with the c99 from female seeds, it's been a strong grower so far if a little hungry - I had to up the feedings on all of them last night but this and the blue cheese both seem to need plenty of nutes.
I've never done any from bros Grimm but they had the original so it'll be cool to compare the two :ganjamon:

The only other one I've done is the slh and all I can say is watch out for hermies - mine grew tiny buds that were pretty much all seed. A total disaster really although I grew out one of the S1 seeds and it produced a much better example. Seems like it's an occasional issue with the slh but for the most part I only hear good things.

I've got some gsc actually from blimburn - got it as a freebie so that might get thrown into a big freebie sog - I've got loads of free seeds:bongrip:

It's a good idea to get multiple versions of stuff though - I was reading somewhere the other day about people doing open pollination with multiple northern lights to keep the strain going and select good mothers. It makes sense because every seed bank will be selecting different phenos to work with so recombining them should give those folks a bigger selection of genetic material to chose from.

Every time I start to get swayed by the promise of LED, I see an HID grow and remember how well they do. Very tough to switch after seeing the photo above!

Yeah I'm well impressed with the growth so far, the top buds especially are growing faster than they have in the past. I do wonder if I should try less defoliation next time though - I feel like some of the lower budsites needed a bit more growth before I took their engine away.
So I'm not sure I'll get to my goal but I live in hope :ganjamon::ganjamon:

I've done is the slh and all I can say is watch out for hermies - mine grew tiny buds that were pretty much all seed.
Very much appreciate this info!

I do wonder if I should try less defoliation next time though - I feel like some of the lower budsites needed a bit more growth before I took their engine away.
The sun has been powering my grows for so long that I haven't had to consider things like lower bud sites. When I was growing indoors, other than topping, I only tucked leaves and gently bent larger branches out of the way. Pretty sure it would not even qualify as LST. Defoliation was really just discarding yellowing or unhealthy fan leaves, everything else stayed on the plant. The only exception was a pretty good defoliation a few weeks into flowering, after the plant's growth slowed down. That's the beauty of indoors, it's exciting to try all the techniques and make those types of decisions. It's funny because there is a wealth of info on forums like this and it is awesome to get to talk to people about it (impossible to even dream about when I started), but at the end of the day, you still make all the decisions for what is right for your style and sensibilities. And trial and error are still the best learning tools known to man!

Update for the end of week 4. I'll just let the photos do the talking :ganjamon:

:passitleft:

Ganja gu brah :ganjamon:

Very much appreciate this info!

The sun has been powering my grows for so long that I haven't had to consider things like lower bud sites. When I was growing indoors, other than topping, I only tucked leaves and gently bent larger branches out of the way. Pretty sure it would not even qualify as LST. Defoliation was really just discarding yellowing or unhealthy fan leaves, everything else stayed on the plant. The only exception was a pretty good defoliation a few weeks into flowering, after the plant's growth slowed down. That's the beauty of indoors, it's exciting to try all the techniques and make those types of decisions. It's funny because there is a wealth of info on forums like this and it is awesome to get to talk to people about it (impossible to even dream about when I started), but at the end of the day, you still make all the decisions for what is right for your style and sensibilities. And trial and error are still the best learning tools known to man!

I wish I could grow outdoors here but that's not likely sadly, the law (and weather) being what it is. Although I have thought of chucking a few autos out in the woods some where but ultimately I'm not sure I have the time to look for a good spot, certainly not this year.
Plus in future I want to work with long flowering sativa lines and start breeding stuff so I need much more light and warmth in the winter than we get here.

You know, how your describe your technique for indoors is exactly what I've been doing up til now:rollit: I've only done it much more extensively this time as a test really. To be honest though, I think I'll be back in the "half-assed not quite lst" camp with you in future, I'm not totally convinced the lower buds are going to fill out.

Outdoor has it's advantages, but indoor does too. Keeping prying eyes off of the plants has become a priority. Sadly, the law is not my main concern. Lots of thieving scumbags out and about these days. Kinda sad, really. I will always put a seed or two in the ground, but my focus now is taking some of those freebies I have been getting and testing various lighting and techniques in one plant boxes. ScroG with LED strips, QB boards and/or fluorescent lights would be first up. My brain says it will be fun to be hands on but I gotta be realistic! Might just want to hit them with a CMH or two and get out of their way. All roads lead to replenished jars, that's the good news!

Breeding sounds like the real ticket, now that would be fun. Which leads to another experiment on my To Do list - reversing fem seeds with STS and doing regular seeds the traditional way. Using these established strains seems like it would be more stable too.

O-kay, time for an update for the end of week 5. Buds are starting to look half decent with at least 4 to 5 weeks to go although I'm losing leaves on all of them down low from hunger so I've massively upped my veg feeding. I'm starting to get a feel for what the plants want which is cool. Next time though I'm defoling less so there's a good supply.
The c99 is also curling up at the leaf tips which I'm pretty sure is too much heat as she's the tallest. I've bent some branches to compensate and also to get some more space around those branches. All in all it's going well though.

Hopefully not much left to do but watch the buds swell :passitleft:

Sorry it's been a slow week on updates, but nothing much is happening. It's into the twilight zone of growth between the flowers forming and the big swell happening. Very few red hairs and I can't possibly believe any of them will be done in 2 weeks as the c99 and blue cheese are meant to be. Ah well, onto the photos :passitleft:

:ganjamon:

Thought I'd do a big photo dump, things are starting to swell up a bit and there's some good frost settling on everyone apart from the original ammo - going to be a long one I think.

Anyway, I've been burning some commercial amnesia and taking photos so let's go
:passitleft:

:ganjamon: ganja gu brah folks :ganjamon:

I'm late on the week 7 update but to be fair, I smoked the last of my bud for the moment last night and passed the fuck out before I got round to doing anything other than take photos :passitleft:

Anyway there's some rough and some smooth really, buds are swelling up pretty well and there's plenty of frost. Bad news is that everything is yellowed out completely. I think a combo of defoling and not enough nutes has caused it and you can see especially on the aurora, that the lower buds aren't gaining any weight.
Next grow I'll be switching to a new feed my hydro shop guys turned me on to - biocanna veganics. Organic, vegan and they've had really good results with it so unless it kills my plants I'll stick with that for a bit. It's almost impossible to find vegan feeds and so I'm pretty happy the next harvest will be certified animal free :ganjamon:

To switch it back to the good news for a bit, I cut a few sucker branches off the aurora (I actually leave them on early on for precisely this) and microwave dried a few little buds. Smoke was hard to get because the damn joint was too sticky and oily plus a bit too green obviously. But when it came it was great - nice and relaxing, physically and mentally chilled out. Pretty much what I remember from the aurora and why I wanted to grow her again. I mainly want bud I can work on but sometimes you want a nice thick smoke producing bud that gently runs her hands over your eyes and pulls the lids down. That's what I'm hoping she'll be when she's done :ganjamon:

Anyway, onto photos

Quick update - just microwave dried some c99 bud for a test and it's pretty sweet. Nice floaty but active high. Pretty much what I was hoping for from it :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom