Cannabis grower as a job!

SirAlyon

420 Member
Hi you all!
I'm 24 y old from EU, after a couple of successful grows I decided I have to improve more my skills and try to commute this super hobby in real job.

I saw differents type of courses in colleges in Canada and US, they are 1year program mainly and I'm really interested in.
What do you think guys? I'm gonna stay in America for some months (after Ill get covid vaccine) for improve my English skills and I was wondering about improving to my marijuana growing skills.

I'll glad if anyone can advice me some good books to start study, I found different and can't choice the best one.

Here my last Gelato Auto. I want to work with these ladies <3

Hi you all!
I'm 24 y old from EU, after a couple of successful grows I decided I have to improve more my skills and try to commute this super hobby in real job.

I saw differents type of courses in colleges in Canada and US, they are 1year program mainly and I'm really interested in.
What do you think guys? I'm gonna stay in America for some months (after Ill get covid vaccine) for improve my English skills and I was wondering about improving to my marijuana growing skills.

I'll glad if anyone can advice me some good books to start study, I found different and can't choice the best one.

Here my last Gelato Auto. I want to work with these ladies <3

Here in Canada there are many large companies constantly hiring in that field.
There is also collage classes available .
Good luck my friend.
Bill

What do you think guys?

Are you talking about like general Horticulture type classes at the Universities or these Cannabis themed ones popping up due to things changing? Not saying all the themed ones are a scam but a lot of folks trying to jump on the bandwagon trying to make money off of it, so a lot of these kind of things popping up that prospective Employers are not going to look at those kind of "degrees" having any kind of relevance or value. Most places I seen around here looking for "documented experience in industry" (which very few folks have yet and saying "you grown your own" doesn't carry much weight) or regular type Horticulture type degrees from a University where then know you have some basics down far as the science of growing plants of any kind goes.
Not going to be an easy field to just jump in to, as more folks want to do something like that than jobs available as it is an "old pipe dream" many of us old timers have. I've been trying around here either with a grower or at a Dispensary since my Wife passed in October, and of all the resume's I sent out have yet to even get an interview just the usual form letter response of "thanks for your interest" or no acknowledgement of you being interested, but I have no formal education in the Horticulture field. So it's kind of a "you have to know someone in the industry" or have the education as lots of folks out there with 4 year degrees in Horticulture type fields out there that they will hire before you (exception being folks trimming, but most expect you to be able to trim at least a pound a day (my hands won't take that and I was never that fast even when younger) and the work isn't full time regular work most places and more "seasonal").
Not trying to be a "Negative Nancy" but trying to save you from wasting your money (money on education and relocating to another Country) and also setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. As yes it is possible to get lucky and land a job, but the odds are way not in your favor of landing something in the field and the competition is fierce to say the least.

Hi you all!

education requirements all depends what level of the industry you want to work at.

i know some folk in the industry. they told me it's not what i thought it was. for growing they look to horticulture and ag backgrounds with degrees or diplomas in those fields. they want the operations managers to all have business degrees at the higher level with a tech diploma sufficing for mid mgmt.

they also look for folk with more than one degree or diploma in related fields. it's not uncommon for folk to have a business degree or diploma with either an ag or horticulture degree or diploma as well. there's a ton of agriculture where i live.

edit : forgot to add. lawyers. they need tons of law degrees in the industry. in canada you actually get a business degree on the the way to a law degree for the most part. the largest cannabis group in my province all came from business law practice.

techs just working at the facility doing stuff like pruning etc don't really need much beyond high school, but advancement is nil.

the dispensaries here are run exactly like a franchise starbucks coffee shop with the same level of education required for those jobs. they look like starbucks too mostly. staff turnover is a constant 30% and up.

Go to college and study Horticulture or Soil Science. By the time you're done school you will be getting recruited or just start your own greenhouse.

Can work while going to school. Farming is hard work for low pay.

Have high hopes and work your ass off.

If you aren't willing to work REAL hard suggest a different discipline.

There's no fast track.... or short cuts in farming.

Unless you get a bigger tractor. lol

Just something to consider...
I used to love tinkering with motorbikes and engines etc, so asked my local grease monkey the best way to go about it
He said 'Do you really enjoy it?
'Yes, I do' I said 'I love it'
'Don't take it up for a living then - you'll lose something you love and turn it into something tiresome'
Still tinkering with engines and still love it
Just sayin'

Reminds me of my Zero-turn ... took it in for spring service. They welded my deck back together but never leveled the deck. Got it back with 3 fresh blades and my grass looked like a punk rock hair cut ffs.

I hadda level the deck myself which I like to do. But I paid a guy......

Point - someone that likes their job should have paid attention to the details since the end result is what customers see. Nobody saw that perfect weld.

I really love growing plants and farming tho.... something I've always done. I'm VERY lucky to be able to do it full time now. Get to tinker with hardware and machines too as a side bennie.

When it rains.... get the tools out.

When it snows get the weed out.

Wait, it's always 420 somewhere. Keep the weed out.

I dont puff and tractor tho... Weed got a Merl ditch. Don't wanna roll on buddy.

I am 67 years old.
Poked a seed into moms Begonia plant pot when I was 14. Didn't last long.
I started growing 40 years ago when the US gov't started spraying Mexican fields with Paraquat. Started with a closet grow.

When I was 18 I went to work for a man who had several gorilla grows in the Cascade Range in N. Cali, near Covelo and Paskenta. Camped with the 200+ plant grow for five seasons, finally got raided and outed and he wouldn't work me at the grow any more - but, taught me how to clone and that's what I did for him for years. Made babies.

I started my own clone business and greened up N. Cali for another ten years.

Now, I work in the legal industry, growing. Managing a 120 light indoor grow with associated cloning, packaging, testing, legal compliance, etc.

I know for a fact that this industry needs people with DEGREES in agriculture, botany, chemistry - and we're willing to pay for those skills; dearly.

College degrees are not mandatory -- but, be able to demonstrate skills. Results are paramount. This is a BUSINESS now.

I have dual degrees, BS in Business Admin and Managerial Economics from Cal State Univ, but nothing in ag or horticulture. Just personal experience.

@Auggie good for you brother. I bet you have some great stories to tell.

Knowing the science and getting results. I like it.

Some have 1 some have the other. I've read horticulturalists that teach at university never started an outdoor (non cannabis) garden until they were mid 50s. Even with science back round that's 45+ years of lost real world experience.

The kids in college gonna raise the bar for us all I hope. I'd have gone to school for AG if I was a kid today. Prolly Soil Science major with Physics minor.

The kids in college gonna raise the bar for us all I hope. I'd have gone to school for AG if I was a kid today.
It's time, in a way, that this valuable commodity (in so many ways, valuable) is finally being treated as such. The old days of some rasta dude tending his hundred plant gorilla grow ... well, they gone.
And, yea, me too on the Ag degrees. I talk to kids that look like they not old enough to buy a beer and they have a Phd from Stanford in Molecular Biology or some crazy shit.
Sometimes like talking to Dr. Sheldon Cooper.

Back
Top Bottom