Cheap growing mediums?

Coco expensive? Do you reuse it?
I let mine dry out for a month, then remove old roots.
Then mix it it 50/50 with new coco and perlite.
Then I add Bokashi & Frass to that and activate it with a spray of B1.
I've been doing this for literally years with the same coco.
Only loosing a minimum amount each month.
I had a harvest every 4 weeks btw, so I really used that coco.
Sure the initial outlay is pricey, but it was economical to run day to day.
Just a thought.
Water is your cheapest medium by far.
Unless you pay for it.
Welcome to 420Magazine @scorch6675 :welcome:
It you want to meet everyone and say hi here is a link.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

this ...

full

i grow hempy style. just bought a bag of perlite for $45 cdn out the door. it'll last me 3-4 grows, or a year and half to two. i'd get more if i re-used it.

hempy hands down is the cheapest method out there.

That's it just perlite?

yes.

my nute choice is pretty cheap too. i spent $120 cdn all in 4 yrs ago and probably have enough left to grow for another 8 yrs or so.

i use it in the vegetable garden to get rid of it lol

you really only need the one nute and perlite in hempy. that's it. aside from the grow space/tent/light. i get everything else from the dollar store.

why don't you head over the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself @scorch6675 ?

there's a few real cheap and alternate methods out there. hempy is just one. sips also is a low maintenance / high gain method. both are passive hydro. there are many members having success with different methods, come join the fun.

why don't you head over the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself @scorch6675 ?

there's a few real cheap and alternate methods out there. hempy is just one. sips also is a low maintenance / high gain method. both are passive hydro. there are many members having success with different methods, come join the fun.
A lot of good options! Maybe no-till then you never buy new substrate? Just re-amending every grow.

A lot of good options! Maybe no-till then you never buy new substrate? Just re-amending every grow.

requires the living situation, acquired infrastructure ( ie: ownership), and time commitment. if you have it though i'd do it. in many cases it encompasses other better life quality, and types of growing, and is good for both yourself and the world.

this ...

full

i grow hempy style. just bought a bag of perlite for $45 cdn out the door. it'll last me 3-4 grows, or a year and half to two. i'd get more if i re-used it.

Idk I think I paid about 50 bucks U.S. last year for 2 bags, 1 FFOF+ 1 FFHF and 5 bucks U.S. this year for a bag of lime to reuse it. CL🍀

Idk I think I paid about 50 bucks U.S. last year for 2 bags, 1 FFOF+ 1 FFHF and 5 bucks U.S. this year for a bag of lime to reuse it. CL🍀

so i'm ahead of you by a couple hundred bucks by this time next yr lol

Next year I wont need anything and for the foreseeable future. CL🍀

yeah i wound up stopping for a yr two. there's a couple other folk that used to post did the same.

+1 on the Living Organic no till, (Coot's mix) re-use soil grow after grow. Re-amend after during and after each grow. Keep a cover crop and use sprouted seed teas and AACT (Actively Aerated compost tea). I use BAS craft blend as main amendment and keep a worm bin for castings and keep worms in my pots.

+1 on the Living Organic no till, (Coot's mix) re-use soil grow after grow. Re-amend after during and after each grow. Keep a cover crop and use sprouted seed teas and AACT (Actively Aerated compost tea). I use BAS craft blend as main amendment and keep a worm bin for castings and keep worms in my pots.
Nice mix/ media, supposedly makes the best tasting flower. CL🍀

I'm looking for some ideas on cheap media I currently use Coco but it can get kinda expensive I'm looking for diy ideas or bare minimum spending

A block that expands to 2.25 - 2.5 cubic feet can easily be had for $15 to $20 (delivered). Therefore, I feel the need to ask just what your definition of inexpensive is, lol.

Cheapest media I've used was water. It costs approximately 1/2-cent per gallon, delivered to several locations in my house. Although, to be fair, I did use about 4/5ths of a 16- or 18-oz. Solo cup of Geolite (expanded clay balls) with each plant. However, technically, one can clean and reuse it if he/she isn't substantially overfeeding the plant and, therefore, experiencing salt buildup that mimics concrete - so that's not really all that significant (IMHO). I usually ended up giving it away after one use, though, because I tended to be lazy after harvest time, for some reason. Also because a 50-liter bag would do a LOT of Solo cups.

I've read of people wandering up and down river banks, picking up small stones. But that seemed like a lot of work for little return. Everyone is different, though. Some people raise rabbits for meat, while others simply step out onto the back porch and shoot one of the SOBs out of their garden at the cost of one .22LR (seven to fifteen cents?). They both end up getting fed. . . .

this ...

full

Living soil. Spent 300 dollars in soil about ten years ago. Maybe another 300 on amendments since. Cheapest of the cheap.

Living soil. Spent 300 dollars in soil about ten years ago. Maybe another 300 on amendments since. Cheapest of the cheap.

skeptical, but sure. closed loop organics has always been a goal. that's no added inputs other than what is self generated, i know of a couple folk at it. it's like 0 dollars once running, but encompasses more of a lifestyle change incorporating other gardening.

LOS isn't always indoor friendly, it's best if you own your own space. those that don't often don't have room for the inputs, and soil type grows aren't conducive to most smaller living arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom