CO2 bags in grow tent - Up or down?

I don't use co2 and I'm breaking yield records over here with this small strain. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen if I needed co2. There are many other things more important then co2 clearly. Co2 is kind of one of those things you add when you've perfected everything else.

OK, I've got you now. I agree that CO2 would be something that you add only after everything else is tweaked.

Although it's not quite the same thing, I have seen what CO2 can do when added to a planted aquarium. The results are mind-boggling. Under bright lights, the aquatic plants in an aquarium at 20 PPM CO2 (7x normal) will photosynthesize so intensely that streams of O2 will bubble off the leaves and foot-tall plants will grow half an inch a day. There are many aquatic plants that can be grown in a CO2-supplemented aquarium that you simply can't grow without it. The only down side is that plants grow so fast they can outgrow the tank and they often use up all the nutrients and get bizarre deficiency symptoms.

Since plants get all of their carbon from CO2, it only makes sense that increasing it should be able to help the plants to grow faster. I'd like to try it, but I got rid of all my CO2 stuff when I moved and don't feel like buying it again. Maybe someday...

This page describes setting up a planted tank and could easily be adapted for a tent: Setting Up a CO2-Injected Aquarium

I was actually reading into that today, but I think it's very different then what we are talking about. In fact it was something like hO3? Obviously plants above water need co2 but there's plenty in the air already. Just open up a window and you'll be okay.

I have never heard of the HO3, and I'm pretty strong on CO2 in aquatic systems. Maybe you're thinking of carbonic acid, H2CO3, that forms when you add CO2 to H2O?

As for opening a window, I can't say with certainty, but I'd be willing to bet that boosting CO2 to greater than ambient atmospheric levels could significantly improve growth, given that everything else needed was there. We're talking about increasing a fundamental nutrient here...

I have never heard of the HO3, and I'm pretty strong on CO2 in aquatic systems. Maybe you're thinking of carbonic acid, H2CO3, that forms when you add CO2 to H2O?

As for opening a window, I can't say with certainty, but I'd be willing to bet that boosting CO2 to greater than ambient atmospheric levels could significantly improve growth, given that everything else needed was there. We're talking about increasing a fundamental nutrient here...

I agree, but is it worth it? I just don't see you gaining that much. Have people done before and after test? I was saying opening a window because fresh air is very beneficial for our plants. I mean that's their natural habitat...

I agree, but is it worth it? I just don't see you gaining that much. Have people done before and after test? I was saying opening a window because fresh air is very beneficial for our plants. I mean that's their natural habitat...

I know there are people out there adding CO2. I saw a YouTube video of a commercial grow that burned propane to add CO2. It was actually under control of a CO2 controller.

When you grow a ton of plants 10-20+ not sure how many it is, they will suck up all the co2 in the air because that's a lot of plants in one space. If you only have 3 like me, they will never need co2 because there's plenty in the air and it won't run out, it gets replaced as fast as they use it. Make sense? That's why you don't generally start seeing growers use co2 until they go commercial.

Co2 is only needed if your plants are getting as much light as they can take without burning. Light is food so you want to make sure your feeding them as much as possible, then you can introduce co2 and make an effective increase in yield.

Yeah I don't think so, I can burn my plants with my lights, and I don't use co2 and get pretty damn big yields.

I was reading about the CO2 ppm in an ordinary house is about 300 ppm higher than the ambient outside levels.

So, 700 PPM or a smidgen higher? That's not the optimum CO₂ level for cannabis plants that are "maxed out." It is, however, not a great deal less than levels which would be of concern in the general living space. Studies have shown that when CO₂ levels are in the 950-1,000 PPM range, it impairs cognitive function / test scores / et cetera. (BtW, CO₂ levels in environments where there are lots of people packed into relatively small spaces - such as schools can frequently rise above 1,000 PPM.)

Co2 is only needed if your plants are getting as much light as they can take without burning.

<DING> We have a winner! (Sort of.)

Cannabis plants can process a certain amount of light-energy at ambient CO₂ levels. The actual amount increases as ambient temperature rises - up to a point. Above that point, adding more light-energy fails to produce higher yield - and simply increasing the temperature further eventually ends up causing growth to slow/stop.

By increasing the amount of CO₂ available to the plants (IOW, in the air in the grow room) above ambient, one raises the amount of light-energy that they can process. This also increases the optimum temperature range/point somewhat - but this is generally not a problem, since running lighting in a sealed environments tend to produce more heat than is needed, lol.

Optimum CO₂ levels for (growing) cannabis appear to be in the 1,000 to 1,100 PPM range - and it's probably closer to the 1,000 PPM end of that range. But, again, this depends heavily on the amount of light-energy that one is giving one's plants (and, to a lesser extent, temperature).

In other words, if you boost your grow room CO₂ levels to 1,000 PPM and you DON'T see a benefit, you're simply not giving your plants enough light ;). [EDIT: Or, alternatively, because the CO₂ levels in your home (or wherever your grow happens to be located) are already high enough to hit peak efficiency in your grow room - and to lessen your cognitive ability, lol.]

Oh, and it's looking like a good dark-period CO₂ target is 500 PPM.

Hey, where'd Scientific go? I think people were finally starting to figure it out....

I just ordered a little co2 bag for my 4x4 tent today. Reason was I know when them ladies start to fill out things are gunna get heated because I'm packing 2 massive cob units with some pretty intense light in the 4x4 but after a certain point they need help making use of all that light!

Well im running my 3 light setup now and in all fairness i can see a difference but i cant decide if its the extra light or the co2, maby both but my plants are really loving the enviroment even though its hitting 29c, iv got alot bigger bud development for week 3 than i ever have!

I just ordered a little co2 bag for my 4x4 tent today. Reason was I know when them ladies start to fill out things are gunna get heated because I'm packing 2 massive cob units with some pretty intense light in the 4x4 but after a certain point they need help making use of all that light!

Co2 bags don't work they are a huge scam... did you read any of this? Lol

Co2 bags don't work they are a huge scam... did you read any of this? Lol
Hey for 30 bucks if it helps me squeeze an extra o out of my tent I'll do it. Thing is if I can bump ppm up just a little bit that's just a little bit more the plants will be able to make out of my lights so between the extra co2 during the first 4 weeks and maybe a little pk bump I wanna get those flowers bumpin so they're packing on weight faster and finishing sooner. Not sure if it'll work for ME as it's my first go around with a set up like I have now but I'm assuming I'll be able to keep things dialled in and that dumb little co2 bag that may or may not work will go on the floor with a tiny circulating fan agitating the co2 so it doesn't pool as much. Even if it brings my ppms up to 800 I'd be happy-i live in some pretty damn clean air and I suspect they'd enjoy a slight bump in co2 once the big lights hit them. Nvm science, just give them plants evrything they could possibly want! Just my 2 cents!

Also I did read it,I was just baked af last night after researching all day and selectively storing info ;P

Cheers mate!

You guys need to watch some guys on YouTube who have done before and after test. ZERO change.

I'll believe it without seeing the video, lol. These things produce a relatively small amount of CO₂ - which would probably be helpful in a sealed environment, but in a vented tent I'd expect the extra carbon dioxide to leave just as fast as it appeared.

Back
Top Bottom