Dakine Real Maui Wowie In The Midwest

You can grow some big plants in small solos.
I have trees in my tent in 1gal pots...I can imagine if your up for DTW a couple/few times a day you can grow a bush in a cup;)

This begs the question: how much does the amount of medium dictate the potential yield?
While we can definitively say of course I think there is misconception in the growing world regarding pot size, plant size etc.
In the last 2 years i've grown in 5 gallon, 3 gallon, 2 gallon plastic bags (not bad actually) and # 1 pots. i'm liking the #1 pots best.
I think there is a minimum of required medium per space but it's effected by all the same shit. Genetics, light, medium, benificials.
'GML,' a YouTube guy who is outspoken on his defoliation practices and has some fallacies in logic but experience shows that what he does works.
He doesn't care if it science doesn't fit, it works. Not a stickler for the scientific method but does a good job.
believes you need a 10 gallon pot per plant. Maybe 3oz-4oz plant whereas I can grow the same in a 3 gallon coco hydroponics with multiple feeds per light cycle.
Size of the plants aside we also say "Bigger Roots Bigger Fruits" Is this shown someplace that anyone knows of? An article?
I'm curious if the larger pots had larger buds as a result. Even though the size of the plant might not change the size of the buds might.
I love the flood and drain method as it's soo easy and hard to mess up. I've never seen growth like it even compared to DWC.
All in all I still end up using a 50 liter bag for a 4x4 table's worth of cuts which seems to be typical.

I will likely try a side by side to find this out

I've had similar thoughts although mine was mostly centralized around the notion that most people use fabric pots that are too large. I think you're correct in that it's less about volume of medium and more about the balancing of the root mass effectiveness and the water/nutrient needs of the plant. There was an article in I believe cannatalk that was about balancing root zone pressure and the top half of the plant.
Different mediums do create different root density's, so 1 gal isn't the same from hydro to soil clearly. One of my goals has always been to grow the best product possible for as little as possible. The less medium and nutrients I have to use the better, and it's better for everyone, our hobby is quickly putting a strain on the grid and stressing the environment in New ways so it's up to us to help not be such a burden.

I wanted to do a flood and drain for my 1gal sea of green. But hand watering is cheaper. Eventually though.

So yea that's a few gallons of water per day. To get that through a smaller pot you end up with less time between cycles which at some point is going to provide a chance for drowning plants. So you can definitely see an upside to the big pots especially from the growers stand point of not having to water every 4 hours. Haha

I'm in 10 gallon fabric pots and have to water/feed twice a day. A smaller pot would definetly take multiple waterings per light cycle.
That's awesome!

Every 9-10 hours for the autos isn't too bad, but I could see issues for photos on 12/12

Ya it's been a bit crazy but what I did to make it easier for the 4AM water was take a cat litter pail 5 gallon and fill it with 4
gallons nutrient solution in the morning.

Using the air-stone and ice in it to keep nutrients at 68f and highly oxygenated. Also always use Flying Skull Z-7

This way I can scoop a 16oz cup full into each pot at lights on and again mid-day (2AM) let it flow to a corner in the table and shop vac after 20 minutes. They get more if needed as well less if needed but short of drip emitters it's as easy as manual DTW can be.

Are they still in 1 gallons?

They are not. That was the last week they spent in the 1 gallons. They moved into 5 gal fabric pots for a couple weeks before flipping to flower

Hmm bigger roots bingger fruits I do believe to be true. Now, that's coming from a dude with a 4 foot tree in a true 1 gallon. At some point the roots will run out of room and that will limit the potential of the plant. Like saying does a 2x2 tent limit your yield? Well yep cause only so much plant can fit in a given amount of space.

But its true you can grow huge plants in small containers so long as you water enough. For me that's twice a day and they probably need 4 or 5 smaller ones, but auto waters on the back burner currently.

Now lastly that saying applies mainly to soil growers. Coco is hydro and why we get away with trees in 1 gals in soil one would still need supplement with nutrients.

But great stuff. I agree, I prefer 3 gallon and under. If I were to go any bigger I would probably need a larger grow space

They're going now turbo. Hopefully the smaller 2 just had a tough start and will take off for ya. Have a great day duder!

Back
Top Bottom