head room for ducting 4"
duct to exhaust to cool LED - 4 "
led 4"
Burn distance! 4"
pot/containter 6"

Total 22"

Box height 52"

Available for plant - 30"

I'm not sure yet HOW I'll position the exhaust duct over the LED... might have to build a frame for the duct and the led together and then a flexible duct to the filter.... A few strips of aluminium pop riveted together...

What fun!

Hi Dalolo. I'm concerned that 26 inch isn't enough height for many strains. Also a 6 inch soil depth could limit production. You light specs will indicate clearance required above the light. It's very tight.

Have you considered growing a couple of autos? It would simplify your grow setup plus help with height.

Yeah the whole height thing is tight...

I saw one grow journal, here I think, where he had topped and scrogged the plant to 8 main colas. I'll have to go find it and see what kind of head room he had.

So, Bear, you have given me much to think about. So what would be an optimal grow box height, in order to maximise yield???

:hmmmm:
Thanks

That is freakin' amazing! So, what I assume is that the manufacturer's suggested headroom is to keep the plants from burning from the heat of the light. And your solution is to cool the light so you can get closer. This sounds to me like a win/win. More flowering room, more light intensity equals bigger yield.

So, just to clarify, the distance from the flowertops to the light should be as close as possible without burning the plant.

I notice the LED fixtures have built in fans for cooling. Your idea is to supplement this cooling with the additional fan exhaust.

I like it.

Thanks
Well head room is space from top of led to the ceiling of plant light distance is from led the top of the plant you can get really close head space to ceiling now as far as height from plant light intensity dictates that completely and strain does a lot to if u Scroggins and start at specs and slowly lower it till you see negative side effects is usually best thing to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So, Bear, how does using autos "help with height"???? You said a "a couple of autos".. two? In the 2' by 2' space? That would give me two main tops and whatever side buds could grow.

They don't grow as tall because they have a short season. Others reporting great results topping autos to get them more bushy. You would use both sides at once - a single 2 * 4 space with one light and 2 plants. They can be different ages.

Yeah the whole height thing is tight...

I saw one grow journal, here I think, where he had topped and scrogged the plant to 8 main colas. I'll have to go find it and see what kind of head room he had.

So, Bear, you have given me much to think about. So what would be an optimal grow box height, in order to maximise yield???

:hmmmm:
Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't have the knowledge of any formula that predicts yield as a ratio to amount of trimming/lst a plant gets.

The answer will be strain dependant so lean towards low growing sativa and Indica strains. How much chopping is too much I have no idea.

Ok Ok Ok.... redesign! Bear, you persuaded me that I need more height, so I'm gonna make my cabinet a bit taller. I think I'll go to six feet tall. The foot print will remain the same, 2 ft by 4 ft, divided into two grow areas, 2 ft by 2 ft.

And, I think what I'm gonna do is start one side with an auto, as you suggested Bear, and on the other side I'm gonna start regular seed, and once the boys are banished, I'll train the best girl to a scrog/LST/canopy.

That will give me some early results from the auto, and hopefully it will finish quick enough that I can move some vegged clones in, from the other plant.

We'll see... should be fun.

So, that's overall design.

Now I'm gonna work on pot/hydro/grow medium....

Ok Ok Ok.... redesign! Bear, you persuaded me that I need more height, so I'm gonna make my cabinet a bit taller. I think I'll go to six feet tall. The foot print will remain the same, 2 ft by 4 ft, divided into two grow areas, 2 ft by 2 ft.

And, I think what I'm gonna do is start one side with an auto, as you suggested Bear, and on the other side I'm gonna start regular seed, and once the boys are banished, I'll train the best girl to a scrog/LST/canopy.

That will give me some early results from the auto, and hopefully it will finish quick enough that I can move some vegged clones in, from the other plant.

We'll see... should be fun.

So, that's overall design.

Now I'm gonna work on pot/hydro/grow medium....
If you are gonna heighten your box u may have room to run a dwc bubble bucket if u want to that way your auto would grow bigger faster since time is a major limit with them autos are a good idea but I've never been to big fan of them cause say you have 3 months well one mistake weather training or nutes or environment you shock the plant and it could take 2 weeks for plant to recover and start back normal growth well a 3 month auto 2 weeks is 1/6th of ur grow time wasted that what always had scared me

cheers yall and remember keep'em frosty ;)

Large dual chamber grow box build

Some plant height info:

Hi All,

Here are the plant heights:

Dark Devil 1, 22.5"
Dark Devil 2, 19"
Northern Lights 2, 22.5"
Northern Lights 3 (AKA The Runt), 17.5"
Train Wreck 1, 16.5"
Train Wreck 2, 10.5"

The Dark Devils are getting real close to harvest.

Peace. :peace:

If you are gonna heighten your box u may have room to run a dwc bubble bucket if u want to that way your auto would grow bigger faster since time is a major limit with them autos are a good idea but I've never been to big fan of them cause say you have 3 months well one mistake weather training or nutes or environment you shock the plant and it could take 2 weeks for plant to recover and start back normal growth well a 3 month auto 2 weeks is 1/6th of ur grow time wasted that what always had scared me

Hiya...

Not going to use DWC... my good wife is worried about water/nutrient leak. we are ina apartment and leaks would be risky.

But, what do you think about this idea? DWC uses aerated oxygenated nutrients , right? What if I stuck an air stone in my nutrient mixing bucket for a few hours before feeding. Then feed the girls with that solution.

Think it will help?

Hiya...

Not going to use DWC... my good wife is worried about water/nutrient leak. we are ina apartment and leaks would be risky.

But, what do you think about this idea? DWC uses aerated oxygenated nutrients , right? What if I stuck an air stone in my nutrient mixing bucket for a few hours before feeding. Then feed the girls with that solution.

Think it will help?
Well roots do require oxygen and the air is also used to keep nute solution from spoiling so it could be beneficial idk what it would hurt but I don't honestly know if it would help i mean besides when feeding maybe adding a little dissolved oxygen to the root zone

Thanks Bear... I'm gonna go to 72 inches in cabinet height. That should give me plenty of room, particularly with using LST and scrog.

Good call Danolo. Sounds like you'll have lots more space for equipment at the top of the cabinet.

Peace. :peace:

Well, some progress, some questions.

I'm currently looking at lights and I have my eye on one of the lights from one of our sponsors here at 420mag.

The light that interest me is the Perfect Sun MINI.

My grow rooms will each be two feet square,and this light is described as having a coverage of 1.5 X 2.5 ft.

SHould be good, huh?

What do you think, folks?

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine

More progress, more decisions.

As you may recall, this grow cabinet is going to be constructed in my bedroom right next to my bed. So I'm going to have to be careful with noise. I want to be able to sleep! I'm going to look carefully at sound insulation. Any suggestions? Tips?

One of the big noise makers is the exhaust fan.

My grow box is 6' tall, 4 ' wide. and 2' deep. Its going to be divided into two grow areas each 2' by 2'. That means two lights and exhaust fans to cool both areas. My total area is 6' X 4' X 2' = 48 cubic feet.

I'm hoping to use 4" ducting and fan. There are a few 4" fans on Amazon:
Hon&Guan 4" Extractor Fan - 116 CFM, 26 db, 28 W.
iPower GLFANXINLINE4 High CFM Inline Ducting Fan - 175 CFM - no data of noise - 75 W.

Any of you folks with experience with these fans?

I'm not sure HOW to rig us this type of fan...

I'm thinking putting the fan just at the exit port of my ducts, then before it, an inline filter, for smell, and then a duct that branches into two, drawing exhaust from each little grow room. I figure I can make or buy some sort of baffle or valve so I can vary the amount of air exhausted from each room. That coupled with a fan speed controller should work.

I'd be very happy to have your comments and suggestions.

Well, I think the 4" duct booster is not gonna do it.

I'm almost stuck having to go with 6" ducts. My grow area is 50 cubic feet. So if the goal is to replace the room air every 1 - 3 minutes, I only really need a 100 CFM type fan. If run full speed, continuously, that would replace the room air in 30 seconds. I assume I could slow it down with a fan speed controller. And there will be some inhibition by the filter.

Ahhh the filter... it appears the best on the market is Phresh. But they do not make a 4" filter... so I may have to go to a 6" duct and fan, which then moves me up to 150 CFM... waaay more than I need...

Any suggestions?

Hi Danolo where are you going to exhaust the cabinet to? if that makes sense

Perfect sense... I am exhausting through my balcony window outside.

My tentative plan is to put the fan and filter outside, sucking air from my grow box and expelling it through the filter.

That will give me additional room inside the box, and I'll be able to camouflage the output duct with a shelf, or a ladder... something like that.

Whatcha think Bear?

Back
Top Bottom