Danolo's Indoor Cabinet Grow

I guess it depends on how private the balcony is? Keeping things 100% inside the house will be safer / more stealth.

One thing you could possibly design for is to have the filter inside the box so that no pot smell makes it outside.

I guess it depends on how private the balcony is? Keeping things 100% inside the house will be safer / more stealth.

One thing you could possibly design for is to have the filter inside the box so that no pot smell makes it outside.

The balcony is not real private in that my neighbour's balcony is right beside it. I'm relying on the efficiency of the Phresh filters. Do you have any experience with them?

If I put the filter and the fan inside the box, I'll need two filters (box divided into two grow areas.) and they, and the fan will take up a lot of space.

Perhaps if I'm really good at scrog, maining, etc, my vertical height won't be a problem. I've got 6 feet, so we'll see. I recognise this will be an evolving project.

Hey Danolo,

Is there any reason to exhaust it outside? The vent has filtered air coming out of it so it could exhaust indoors (unless you are facing too high tent temps). It is how I did it this year and it helped heat the coldest part of the house.

Peace. :peace:

Hey Danolo,

Is there any reason to exhaust it outside? The vent has filtered air coming out of it so it could exhaust indoors (unless you are facing too high tent temps). It is how I did it this year and it helped heat the coldest part of the house.

Ha!Yea, great idea... years ago I had a few 1000 watt HPS which I exhausted into the crawl space of our rented farmhouse. Saved me a bit on firewood, I'm sure.

But my existing grow will only have 2 Perfect sun 125 watt LED's.. I'm not sure they will produce a lot of heat.. (I hope not!).

In any event, my grow box is in my bedroom, and I think the easiest plan for me exhausts the humidity and heat outside.

Have you any experience with the Phresh Filters? 100% smell reduction????

Hey Danolo,

I'm not sure which charcoal filter we are using, I think it is Can-Filters. No smell from the tent until you open the zipper. So I am pleased with mine.

Another question or two about air intake and light baffle.

My grow box is 4' by 2' by 6' = 96 cu ft

Question 1: How often should the air be replaced in a grow box? I have heard 1 minute, 3 minutes, five minutes. Which is it?

Question 2: How much will a typical Phresh air filter slow down the CFM of a fan? 10%, 30%????

If I use 3 minutes air exchange, then fan would need to run at 96/3 = 32 CFM.
If the filter inhibits 30%, then I'd need maybe 40 - 45 CFM.

My problem is that the fans with the lower CFM rating all seem to be pretty noisy. And, I'm not sure if they will run with a fan speed controller.

One of the better fans I've seen is a 6" and runs at 250CFM. I'm not sure if a fan speed controller will dial it down to 45 CFM.

Question 3: If my exhaust port is 6", how big should my passive intake port(s) be?

Thanks for your help.

Can't wait to see it :thumb:

Edit to add: have you considered a bathroom ceiling fan? Low profile inside cabinet, sits in a housing on top of your cabinet, and can push air through the filter. No idea if that will work but 100cfm is easy to get. So are 50 com and up. Fan pipe and filter not in gro cabinet at all.

Can't wait to see it :thumb:

Edit to add: have you considered a bathroom ceiling fan? Low profile inside cabinet, sits in a housing on top of your cabinet, and can push air through the filter. No idea if that will work but 100cfm is easy to get. So are 50 com and up. Fan pipe and filter not in gro cabinet at all.

Yeah? Not sure it will be enough....From what I've been reading, a filter will cost me 30%. I'll have a couple of 90 degree bends in the flue, so that will further decrease the efficiency.

And, if one filter does not do the job, I may have to add one or two to the intake ports inside the boxes.

If I get a 250 cfm fan with a speed controller, I'm hoping I can dial it down.. probably best if I use a fan with its own built in speed controller.

And in worst case scenario, I can put a "bleed off" Y with a baffle of some sort on it so I can bleed off some of the pressure if necessary.

I just found out yesterday that they are going to be replacing all our windows and redo-ing the balcony railings. So, I may not be able to get the grow box going until that is completed.

I'm going ahead with the box, because it will be easy to move if this location becomes intolerable.

Once I get a better info on scheduling, I'll know better if I have time for a fast auto crop before they start the work.

Danolo I've been wondering about that flow rate. If you change air every minute, won't the grow box internal temp and humidity will be pretty much whatever it is at the intake ports. So wondering if there is a gizmo to run your fan based on temp inside?

Danolo I've been wondering about that flow rate. If you change air every minute, won't the grow box internal temp and humidity will be pretty much whatever it is at the intake ports. So wondering if there is a gizmo to run your fan based on temp inside?

Yeah there is...its like a thermostat and it will control the exhaust fan, based on the temp.

The problem with that is that I will likely be unable to do co2 enrichment if the fan comes on at random times.

The ventilation system is supposed to help control temperature, and humidity. I'm not sure how much my little lights will heat up the space, and I have no idea what the humidity will be like. If the temp and RH is not too high, I may be able to get away with minimal fan use, which will help with retaining co2.

There's a UTube video by The Grow Box.. seems like a knowledgeable guy... he claims that if everything is done right in the garden, that adding co2 will add 30% to the yield. Not sure I believe that. Any experience?

I have another problem. As I mentioned, this grow box is going into my apartment and exhausting into a stealthy filter/fan box on the balcony., through the window. Well I found out yesterday that the building owners are installing all new windows in each unit, plus they are tearing off the old balcony railings and replacing them, sometime this summer.

So, I may have to delay actually planting anything until the construction is done.

Ah well, it will give me time to build and fine tune the grow box as much as I can.

Well, I have my seed order figured out...

I'm gonna order from GYO... a sponsored supplier here...

Pineapple Express Auto - pack of 3
White Widow - regular - pack of 10
Brain's Choice - a freebie

Total with S&H CAN$44.26

Well folks.. major changes...

I was on another forum, THC Farmer, and posed my same question about ventilation, etc, in my little box with two rooms.

And there, I got a revelation! One user there said, " I'd do one room honestly...run 3 autos. "

Ding! Lightbulbs! Of course... it would be much easier with venting, lights nutrients... I can stagger grow three plants and still do some LST with them to increase buds.

So, I'm reworking the design...

....later

Back
Top Bottom