Daylight saving time

MikeTbob

Hello all you nice people.

I'm wanting to get y'alls input on Daylight saving time.
Do any of you adjust your timers to account for the time change? I have my timers set so that I can tend to my garden for about 20 minutes before work in the morning when the lights come on and I usually get home just about an hour before the lights go down. I'd like to keep it that way. I need suggestions on the best way to do it. Should I just do it and loose an hour of light or slowly change over several days? I'm only in veg right now so it's not a big deal in my opinion. I just like to hear about how other people deal with situations.
Happy growing everyone and thanks for any input.

sorry I'm late, it's the growers decision, an hour won't effect your girls. I run lights at night to keep plants warmer sometimes, that is heat is a daytime factor, take a look at my new journal, always room for more sharing!! click link below to see some plant bondage!:high-five:

I run the lights during night time e.g 6pm to 6 am i'm always home most evenings to tend to the girls when need be.

In the past i've just changed the timing to go with day light saving at the most suitable time for your self the plants are hardly going to notice an hour & very rarely has any real impact on them...

Lights off noon too 6pm for veg to help with to much heat in summer time.
Lights off 8am-8pm for flower to help with to much heat in summer time.

This daylight savings time "spring forward" just caught me off guard. My girl only got 11 hours of darkness last night because my home automation timer triggered an hour early due to the time change. I'm now 11 days into flowering.

You should be fine, an hour shouldn't do anything. You should look in to glr, this is my first grow and I am using this routine, seems to work really well. I run my lights from 1pm to 1am and 630 am to 730 am. That way I am able to check. My ph b4 I go into work, I keeps the heat down and the bill low.

This daylight savings time "spring forward" just caught me off guard. My girl only got 11 hours of darkness last night because my home automation timer triggered an hour early due to the time change. I'm now 11 days into flowering.
My same worry, I have a small garden in the middle of flowering.

It shouldn't effect your timer, your schedule would just shift by one hour.
So if your light came on at 7am and turned off at 7pm, then now it'll come on at 6am, and turn off at 6pm.
I just leave my timer as is and don't bother to correct it, there's zero change to the plant that way.
But if you do want to reset your timer then the plants wont be bothered by the change either.

And the magic number of dark hours is really more like 10-10.5 hours although most of us do 12 just to be safe. So one cycle of 11 hours rather than 12 of darkness should still be in the safe zone.

I don't change my timer, but it does change my window for working with the plants. That way the plants don't even know something changed since it didn't for them.

It shouldn't effect your timer, your schedule would just shift by one hour.
So if your light came on at 7am and turned off at 7pm, then now it'll come on at 6am, and turn off at 6pm.
I just leave my timer as is and don't bother to correct it, there's zero change to the plant that way.
But if you do want to reset your timer then the plants wont be bothered by the change either.
I still don’t know what freaking time it is? I heard that they were supposed stop doing it and now I’m clueless if we’re supposed to do it or not. Stupidest thing I ever heard of because in December it’s getting dark outside @ 🕓. CL🍀

Yeah as far as plants go, flower or veg, I don't think a 1 hour shift one way or another will not make a difference... I may or may not change my timers...

I still don’t know what freaking time it is? I heard that they were supposed stop doing it and now I’m clueless if we’re supposed to do it or not. Stupidest thing I ever heard of because in December it’s getting dark outside @ 🕓. CL🍀

I've heard about them wanting to get rid of daylight savings too. I think we're waiting on states like NY here before we consider it but I've always wondered if it'll effect computers or something if they do change things. Years of legacy code and whatever lol. I don't even think it increases the amount of light we get here, it's somewhat counter to it's name. Maybe I'm tripping but it gets dark by like 5pm here in the winter lol.

I've heard about them wanting to get rid of daylight savings too. I think we're waiting on states like NY here before we consider it but I've always wondered if it'll effect computers or something if they do change things. Years of legacy code and whatever lol. I don't even think it increases the amount of light we get here, it's somewhat counter to it's name. Maybe I'm tripping but it gets dark by like 5pm here in the winter lol.
I’m not kidding about 4: PM here it’s starting to get dark outside by December. Florida doesn’t use it and it makes life easier. CL🍀

The time change has never bothered me since most of what I do is outside and I was judging time by the sun. Whether for work, hunting, fishing, going up to the cabin or outside gardening I was using the sun and not my watch to tell me when I could start in the morning or finish in the evening.

I don't change my timer, but it does change my window for working with the plants. That way the plants don't even know something changed since it didn't for them.
I don't worry about any plants in a vegetating stage. The flowering tent is a different story. My light schedule for the past month is very tight as far as the times I can get in there do just about anything. And my personal schedule has changed which cut most of the times I could get in there long enough to do anything beyond watering. So I adjusted the timers in a couple of minutes. First time I had to do it except the time the power was gone for 2 days.

but I've always wondered if it'll effect computers or something if they do change things. Years of legacy code and whatever lol.
Nah. They practiced with the century date shift between 1999 and 2000. Otherwise my computer changes time automatically and is always accurate since it is connected to the internet every second that the router is powered up. Phones and computers are getting the real-time from some atomic clock or something.

I don't even think it increases the amount of light we get here, it's somewhat counter to it's name. Maybe I'm tripping but it gets dark by like 5pm here in the winter
Nope, there are 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day and it never fails;). No matter what time they say sunrise is, there is always those 24 hours to a day:).

I still don’t know what freaking time it is? I heard that they were supposed stop doing it and now I’m clueless if we’re supposed to do it or not. Stupidest thing I ever heard of because in December it’s getting dark outside @ 🕓. CL
I’m not kidding about 4: PM here it’s starting to get dark outside by December.
And it is starting to get light outside by January.:D December 21st is the longest night or the most number of minutes of night as astronomers measure between sunset and sunrise the next morning. Then the nights slowly get shorter and shorter until around June 22 or so when the summer soltice happens.

One nice thing about Arizona is, we don't adhere that federal rule. Time in this state never changes. 👏
I lived in California for years growing up, and I never liked back then. Antiquated law. :(

AzLaker
😎

Back
Top Bottom