Dick23rk's Fresh Start: Mantis Nutrients Featuring MedicGrow's New Spectrum X+ 880w Light Panel

**Quick DWC Update**

Morning folks. Just stopping in with a quick note on the dwc buckets, I'll get another full update done tonight.

I checked on the bucket plants this morning before work and it appears we have some more movement from the leaves. The lower sets of leaves (although very unsightly) on both plants are starting to lift off the bucket lids! Another step in the right direction I'd say. The node growth is still pushing out nicely.

Not much difference in the upper set of leaves since last night. Bucket 2's top set is still nice and green, hoping they will perk back up soon. Bucket 1 is just full of deficiencies or so it looks, new growth looks good. Let's hope it slows down as they get back on their feet.

We may never know exactly what it was as there were a few changes during this time. The biggest 2 being the new light with its intensity and possible damaged roots from too much turbulence in the res. I'm leaning more towards the turbulence, I will have to experiment in the future. Anyways, here's a few pics from this morning.

You got this man. Weed is so damn resilient it's incredible. I understand why you're keeping them for now, but it would be so hard for me to not remove those first node leaves. Lmao. Just unsightly as you say. But UP. Yay. I don't know hydro, but I lean towards the light adjustment theory at least to some extent. I find the young plants take longer to adjust to stuff like that (big environmental changes) than more established plants. But it seems at least you're headed the right direction. Good stuff. Way to hold out. It would have been easy probably for you to just throw in the towel on these guys given how many plants you have and you could start new ones.

You got this man. Weed is so damn resilient it's incredible. I understand why you're keeping them for now, but it would be so hard for me to not remove those first node leaves. Lmao. Just unsightly as you say. But UP. Yay. I don't know hydro, but I lean towards the light adjustment theory at least to some extent. I find the young plants take longer to adjust to stuff like that (big environmental changes) than more established plants. But it seems at least you're headed the right direction. Good stuff. Way to hold out. It would have been easy probably for you to just throw in the towel on these guys given how many plants you have and you could start new ones.
It is a pretty hardy plant, can do a lot of mean things to it and it keeps growing lol.
I'm sure the light didn't help matters, I'm not ruling it out that's for sure. I've seen plants act funny in soil when changing lights, so it was sort of expected, but never seen them get that bad due to it.
Can't wait to see them kick back to full strength and catchup to the potted plants.
Thanks Mike, me too. I'm glad they are still growing lol

Mmm I think ya are scrambling my eggs with all the hydro stuff :slide:

Right leaf floppy stuff the issue ah... ya

Mmm I think ya are scrambling my eggs with all the hydro stuff :slide:

Right leaf floppy stuff the issue ah... ya
:laughtwo: no worries fuzzy, I will have a dirt update later when I'm home from work. I didn't get to it last night, long day.

**Update - Potted Plants**

Hey again everyone! It's about time I got back to regular updates every couple days again, I sort of slacked off this week but work had taken a lot out of me. We got hit with that rain/snow that I posted about earlier in the week and it made work a sh*t show with all the muck and getting stuck. So I was done fairly early today, only got stuck once, washed my truck and got home at a decent time. I was able to get into the garden and get all the photos done for the update, re-stake a few unruly branches that want to lift and assess what my next order of business will be. Let's take a look.

All of the potted plants seem to be loving the new Spectrum X light panel from MedicGrow, I am as well. I have had no issues with these plants what so ever with the transition from my MH lights. I have been operating the panel on the V1 spectrum setting at about 30% since I've put it up (turned up 1 day but turned back down) and this morning we have moved that up to 40%. Here is what the spectrum chart looks like right now, showing we are pulling 289watts and pushing out a PPF of 809. I have still yet to mess around some more with the lux meter phone apps, but will do some more soon. Last I checked at 30% and 22" I was getting around 10,000 lux in the middle. This panel could really push some potential here.

Skunk #1 - Day 53

This strain has been quite resilient and strong. They all went through a bit of hell with the ph fluctuation in the beginning, but have really proved themselves over the past month of torture and lst. All of the main stalks are becoming nice and thick, getting that woody bark look to them. Even the branches/mains have thickened up quite a bit making it hard to bend if needed, This is a good sign, it means they should be able to hold up the weight of the buds when the time comes.

Two or three of these plants (can't remember now) have been pushing out a few pistols letting us know they are starting to become mature females and ready to be put into production anytime now. We only had 1 showing the other day which was noted in the last update. Node sites are starting to build up unevenly on the non topped branches and the new node growth on the topped branches is working its way out.

We are also starting to see something happen on just 1 of 4 skunk plants. I'm not sure what it is yet but will be looking into it this weekend. It's not nutrient burn. Could possibly be from the light intensity. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it progresses, that will give me time to check things out about the issue. Otherwise it's still a very happy plant.

Skunks will be transplanted this weekend, likely tomorrow, and then they will be fed in their new pots. After that they will be fed one more time before next weekend, and be getting flipped to flower. Pots are getting somewhat light but still have a decent amount of moisture in there. They will all be potted in 5 gallon containers using a 50/50 mixture of promix hp and sunshine #4.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 45

These ladies are starting to pick up the pace some finally and catching up with the skunks. They always seemed the same size but really they weren't, they had stretched quite a bit during the beginning and were quite lanky. Now those lanky branches are actually starting to thicken up some and look like they could potentially hold up some colas. I would imagine the bending during lst had a role to play in this.

A couple of these plants are starting to show some nice features over the others with nice full leaves and a little bit of bushiness happening. Looking at them now, I don't think they will turn out too bad and I maybe should have taken some clones of these ones, but there's lots more seeds to try yet. They will also be transplanted this weekend into the same 5 gallon pots and same mixture as the skunk plants. Then given a feeding, dry cycle, feed and flip.

That's about it for this update. The next one will have some more info regarding the flip to flower and any processes that come with that. Also we will talk about the other spectrum settings on the light panel since we will be changing things up there as well. I hope everyone has a great weekend if I don't see you, otherwise I will be around here keeping up on journals and will get back on here with a transplant and dwc update. Thanks everyone for stopping by and all the support you've brought so far, I appreciate everyone one of you!
Keep it green out there!

**Update - Potted Plants**

Hey again everyone! It's about time I got back to regular updates every couple days again, I sort of slacked off this week but work had taken a lot out of me. We got hit with that rain/snow that I posted about earlier in the week and it made work a sh*t show with all the muck and getting stuck. So I was done fairly early today, only got stuck once, washed my truck and got home at a decent time. I was able to get into the garden and get all the photos done for the update, re-stake a few unruly branches that want to lift and assess what my next order of business will be. Let's take a look.

All of the potted plants seem to be loving the new Spectrum X light panel from MedicGrow, I am as well. I have had no issues with these plants what so ever with the transition from my MH lights. I have been operating the panel on the V1 spectrum setting at about 30% since I've put it up (turned up 1 day but turned back down) and this morning we have moved that up to 40%. Here is what the spectrum chart looks like right now, showing we are pulling 289watts and pushing out a PPF of 809. I have still yet to mess around some more with the lux meter phone apps, but will do some more soon. Last I checked at 30% and 22" I was getting around 10,000 lux in the middle. This panel could really push some potential here.

Skunk #1 - Day 53

This strain has been quite resilient and strong. They all went through a bit of hell with the ph fluctuation in the beginning, but have really proved themselves over the past month of torture and lst. All of the main stalks are becoming nice and thick, getting that woody bark look to them. Even the branches/mains have thickened up quite a bit making it hard to bend if needed, This is a good sign, it means they should be able to hold up the weight of the buds when the time comes.

Two or three of these plants (can't remember now) have been pushing out a few pistols letting us know they are starting to become mature females and ready to be put into production anytime now. We only had 1 showing the other day which was noted in the last update. Node sites are starting to build up unevenly on the non topped branches and the new node growth on the topped branches is working its way out.

We are also starting to see something happen on just 1 of 4 skunk plants. I'm not sure what it is yet but will be looking into it this weekend. It's not nutrient burn. Could possibly be from the light intensity. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it progresses, that will give me time to check things out about the issue. Otherwise it's still a very happy plant.

Skunks will be transplanted this weekend, likely tomorrow, and then they will be fed in their new pots. After that they will be fed one more time before next weekend, and be getting flipped to flower. Pots are getting somewhat light but still have a decent amount of moisture in there. They will all be potted in 5 gallon containers using a 50/50 mixture of promix hp and sunshine #4.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 45

These ladies are starting to pick up the pace some finally and catching up with the skunks. They always seemed the same size but really they weren't, they had stretched quite a bit during the beginning and were quite lanky. Now those lanky branches are actually starting to thicken up some and look like they could potentially hold up some colas. I would imagine the bending during lst had a role to play in this.

A couple of these plants are starting to show some nice features over the others with nice full leaves and a little bit of bushiness happening. Looking at them now, I don't think they will turn out too bad and I maybe should have taken some clones of these ones, but there's lots more seeds to try yet. They will also be transplanted this weekend into the same 5 gallon pots and same mixture as the skunk plants. Then given a feeding, dry cycle, feed and flip.

That's about it for this update. The next one will have some more info regarding the flip to flower and any processes that come with that. Also we will talk about the other spectrum settings on the light panel since we will be changing things up there as well. I hope everyone has a great weekend if I don't see you, otherwise I will be around here keeping up on journals and will get back on here with a transplant and dwc update. Thanks everyone for stopping by and all the support you've brought so far, I appreciate everyone one of you!
Keep it green out there!
Coming along nicely, Dick!

And that light! It looks like you could grow an oak tree under that sucker.

Looking forward!

Looking forward!
Plants look great! The symmetry! Hey I'm in love with the light. How's it do on heat? And would it fit in a 5x5?

Looking forward!
I'd love to grow some oak trees actually! Between Dutch elm disease and the dam maple bugs (boxelder bug) I'm ready to cut down every tree on our lot and replant with something else. I could get fresh oak saplings brought out from Nova Scotia if I wanted, right from my parents back yard.

The light though, it's pretty amazing considering it's only at 40%, I'm impressed so far. Thanks for stopping by GDB
Plants look great! The symmetry! Hey I'm in love with the light. How's it do on heat? And would it fit in a 5x5?
Thanks Jon. The light is actually really good with heat and dissipation. There's a little heat that comes from the diodes themselves, but not terrible. And the driver area doesn't seem to get hot either. I'll have to find my temperature gun and get some readings sometime soon and post them for you all.

Yes it will fit in a 5x5 great! That would be the perfect size for it imo. A 4x4 would be a tight squeeze but it would likely fit as the dimensions are roughly 46x44".

And it's transplant day for all the potted plants. Going to start getting my medium ready and mixed up, half promix hp and half sunshine #4. I find the sunshine #4 holds a little more moisture than I'd like so that's the reason for mixing.

Be back later on with some pictures of them in new homes and likely an update on the dwc. BTW, I have finally decided not to separate my dwc from this journal. What I will do though, is start updating them separately, maybe on different days maybe not, but in different posts. I want to try and keep things clean and organized but also don't want to worry about starting another journal for something I've started in here. When it comes time to plant more beans, I'll likely start another. Let's see these plants through in this journal!

So I got half of the transplants done, then took a break to go see a buddy about an addition for the room. Here we have a 5x4x6 viparspectra tent, with 4x4 grow area and a 1x4 propagation side. Fits nicely, just had to set it up right away. Got the light and plants moved temporarily and will get it all organized tomorrow. And will be back to the rest of the transplants tonight/tomorrow.

Here's some pics for this evening of what happened today.

Nice! Way more possibilities now. :Rasta:
That was the plan. I wasn't going for one this big, but for cheaper than new I'm happy with it. He only used it for 1 grow.

Transplanting finally done this morning once I got moving around, I was a little slow when I first got up lol

Now to get everyone fed, check dwc res, get photos, and come back later on for an update.

Lol I had to stop for a break, eat some gummies and toke on one then get at it again. My back was starting to hurt, I forgot what a pain 10 x 5gallon pots could be to water :laughtwo:

Lol I had to stop for a break, eat some gummies and toke on one then get at it again. My back was starting to hurt, I forgot what a pain 10 x 5gallon pots could be to water :laughtwo:
Remember to lift with your knees not your back! :Rasta:

Hey Dick,
Hope you don’t mind if I pop in from time to time and see what’s going on. Im interested in anything and everything hydro so when you start the hydro thread send me a tag! Now I’ve been reading a little bit of your journal and I’m very curious as to what air pump your running? I’ve never heard of an air pump that causes damage to the roots but I can see how it would if that pump was really whipping.

Remember to lift with your knees not your back! :Rasta:
Well I was trying to be nice to my knees by not kneeling on the floor, so I sat in a chair to water and left the dam plant on the floor :laughtwo:
Hey Dick,
Hope you don’t mind if I pop in from time to time and see what’s going on. Im interested in anything and everything hydro so when you start the hydro thread send me a tag! Now I’ve been reading a little bit of your journal and I’m very curious as to what air pump your running? I’ve never heard of an air pump that causes damage to the roots but I can see how it would if that pump was really whipping.
Hey there and welcome! You can stop by anytime you'd like to and join in. Glad to have ya.

I have decided to not actually start a dwc journal, but to start updating the hydro and potted plants separately within this journal.

The air pump is just a cheaper commercial grade made by vivosun. 950gph - 32w it was really moving the water, lots of turbulence.

Well I was trying to be nice to my knees by not kneeling on the floor, so I sat in a chair to water and left the dam plant on the floor :laughtwo:

Hey there and welcome! You can stop by anytime you'd like to and join in. Glad to have ya.

I have decided to not actually start a dwc journal, but to start updating the hydro and potted plants separately within this journal.

The air pump is just a cheaper commercial grade made by vivosun. 950gph - 32w it was really moving the water, lots of turbulence.

Oh nice, so I’ll just monitor this thread then:) That’s actually the same exact air pump I run (different color lol) but same specs and everything... even have the long air stones. I love it, never had a problem tearing my roots up but everybody’s system is different, so I can see situations where that would be too much airflow, like if your roots are underdeveloped, suffering from a mold or disease, or just a generally unhealthy plant and/or roots would hinder its ability to recover. It’s always worked very well for me though, big strong healthy roots and the pump has lasted a long time so no complaints here. interesting to see this nonetheless and led me to a bunch of great articles :)

They were still kind of under developed at the time. I also changed my light which was the other key factor. Just seemed that when I turned the air down they started to recoup. Now the growth has actually sped up from before, so I'm happy even though they look a bit ugly at the moment lol it could also be the strain as well, some react better than others to certain changes.

**DWC Update**

Hey folks, I'm back with a quick update on the dwc this time. I will do one for the potted plants tomorrow once they get back to their groove, being transplanted and fed some are looking a bit down. I'm sure they will be perked back up tomorrow and ready for a photoshoot. So onto the buckets!

Big Bang - Day 38

These 2 ladies have started to get back into the swing of things and picking up speed after a rough week. The node growth is shooting out at a nice rate and the stalks are really starting to fatten up along with the branches. I am quite impressed in these 2 considering how they looked not long ago, they continue to push on and should be a decent size next week for the flip to flower.

I went ahead and clipped off the bottom 2 leaves on each plant, they were pretty much spent and very crispy. I didn't want plant material getting everywhere so off they went, it also makes it easier putting the poly covers on. Can't wait til next grow when I have lids that actually fit.

The roots are starting to build up more and more now, I was able to snap a couple of pics while I was in there. A lot of nice pearly whites but bucket 1 still have some staining on the roots, it doesn't look like any sort of slime or algae growth so we should be ok. UC Roots will be here Tuesday by the looks of it and I will continue running a sterile res.

I checked the res numbers since it's been a couple days since I've done that, I was trying to just leave it alone and do it's thing. Here is what we've got today, all seems good here. No need for a top up yet, still slow drinkers. Hope they get things right since I still see the calcium deficiency creeping up on the next set of fan leaves. I don't want to add to much and end up with a lockout.

PH / TDS / Temp (c)
Bucket 1 - 5.52 / 725 / 19.5
Bucket 2 - 5.46 / 703 / 20.1

I also built a little stand for my air pump and thermometers to go. Cant really say I built it, it was made from 2 pieces of wood sitting in the garage at the length I found them, perfect! Got a fan blowing towards it to make sure it keeps cool as usual.

That's all we got for today on these 2. Tomorrow after work I will get back on here and get the potted plants updated again. Everything is coming together nicely for the flip to flower. Took a while to get here due to my environment and a couple hiccups but we're almost there, 1 more week. Have a good night all! Keep it green out there!

Back
Top Bottom