Different phenos: Which is correct?

kahoona

i bought some godfather og seeds from weedseedsexpress and started germinating 2 of them. first plant is short and bushy and second plant is much taller and not quite as bushy. which one is the pheno type that should be associated with gfog ?

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Probably got mizzed up with auto and reg seeds. Autos usually are shirt bushy.
But you can niplate any plant bro. Just during veg grow trim and such. Nope ends of the fan leaves and they grow fast and bushy. Or move light further away and they grow tall and skinny

Are the Regular or Fem? As Fem there shouldn't be a ton of diff phenos as only one parent. Probably best to ask the breeder how many pheno's there is otherwise and what is dominant, as finding someone that has popped 20+ of that one specific strain to give you an educated guess might be tough to find. Also if Reg could be one is a male unless they have both showed, as they tend to be more stretchy than the girls.

they are supposed to be fem photo. looking at some of the reviews on wse there are more than two pheno types they sell.
I would keep both there may be a difference in the smoke - taller skinny one may be more sativa the other more indica. I have always thought of any thing OG being indica domin effect. At least the little experience I have with a few OG, I am not an indica person so I moved a long. This can come down to grower, when it was harvested, the cure etc also though. I have also read that OG just means original... but this is the internet....

I have always thought of any thing OG being indica domin effect.
Years ago, what I heard about OG was that it meant Ocean Grown. Example being an OG Kush that was a strain that was grown year after year in the areas of California, Oregon and Washington that had a climate that was heavily effected by the ocean currents that ran along the coast. The growers were harvesting seed and growing again the next year and the year after always with the same basic seasonal temperatures and length of season.

The strain might now be called OG Kush but that only means that the seeds are from the original Ocean Grown genetics somewhere over the last 20 years or so; not from parent plants that were grown on the sides of mountains in the northern California area last year.

Years ago, what I heard about OG was that it meant Ocean Grown. Example being an OG Kush that was a strain that was grown year after year in the areas of California, Oregon and Washington that had a climate that was heavily effected by the ocean currents that ran along the coast. The growers were harvesting seed and growing again the next year and the year after always with the same basic seasonal temperatures and length of season.

The strain might now be called OG Kush but that only means that the seeds are from the original Ocean Grown genetics somewhere over the last 20 years or so; not from parent plants that were grown on the sides of mountains in the northern California area last year.
I have come across that info also. Then more recently came across the info that it means original. Honestly I'm not here to argue syntax nor am I saying you are trying too. I am not sure which I will stick with it probs will come down to context.

i bought some godfather og seeds from weedseedsexpress and started germinating 2 of them. first plant is short and bushy and second plant is much taller and not quite as bushy. which one is the pheno type that should be associated with gfog ?
A "phenotype" just means the way a plant grows and responds to the environment based on the plants genetics, light, heat, moisture...etc. Both of your seeds are offspring of GFOG, so they both carry traits of GFOG. Each seed of GFOG you plant will be a different phenotype and genotype.

Some traits may be more appealing to one grower than another, but they all are traits within the genetics of GFOG, if that makes sense. I would estimate 99.9% of cannabis seeds will produce different "phenotypes" as well as "genotypes" of cannabis, in fact I don't know of any seeds/genetics that have been made to be Isogenetic (same exact copies of each other in seed form). Therefore most seeds will have variations in them, and as growers and breeders, our goal is to grow them all out, and find which "features" that we prefer.

For instance, in your example, 1 seed may grow tall and lanky, but have horrible terpenes, where the shorter one may smell and taste better, OR 1 plant may grow amazingly resin coated buds and the other may be small airy buds.. There really is no way to know (without DNA testing and phylogenetic mapping), which traits will be dominant until you grow them out and get familiar with the plants.

My suggestion is to take clones of both plants, and label them, and then flower out the plants and take notes on traits, like size, shape, bud structure, terpene smells, terpene strength, bud size, resin production, branching....etc... with every seed you pop, those "features" will be different, even with the same parents.

When a strain gets "worked" through multiple generations of selected breeding, (F2, F3, F4...etc) with each generation, (if properly selected) the "traits" the breeder prefers will tend to be "locked in" where the likelyhood of the next generation exhibiting those traits becomes more probable. Once you start reaching F7, F11, and beyond, then you are likely to see that most seeds produce plants that are very similar in terms of many of the traits, but still will have slight variations overall.

With S1 (selfed or reversed, or feminine seeds), there is only 1 parent, therefore the likelyhood of variation is less than those plants with 2 different parents, but there still will be variety in the S1 seeds, as each seed is a random "roll of the genetic wheel", but since only 1 parent is used in S1 (fem seeds) there is less "options" within that wheel of chance.

So I would recommend taking clones of both, grow both out, and choose which one you personally like the best. Then discard the clone of the one you don't like, and continue growing the one you do :)

A "phenotype" just means the way a plant grows and responds to the environment based on the plants genetics, light, heat, moisture...etc. Both of your seeds are offspring of GFOG, so they both carry traits of GFOG. Each seed of GFOG you plant will be a different phenotype and genotype.

Some traits may be more appealing to one grower than another, but they all are traits within the genetics of GFOG, if that makes sense. I would estimate 99.9% of cannabis seeds will produce different "phenotypes" as well as "genotypes" of cannabis, in fact I don't know of any seeds/genetics that have been made to be Isogenetic (same exact copies of each other in seed form). Therefore most seeds will have variations in them, and as growers and breeders, our goal is to grow them all out, and find which "features" that we prefer.

For instance, in your example, 1 seed may grow tall and lanky, but have horrible terpenes, where the shorter one may smell and taste better, OR 1 plant may grow amazingly resin coated buds and the other may be small airy buds.. There really is no way to know (without DNA testing and phylogenetic mapping), which traits will be dominant until you grow them out and get familiar with the plants.

My suggestion is to take clones of both plants, and label them, and then flower out the plants and take notes on traits, like size, shape, bud structure, terpene smells, terpene strength, bud size, resin production, branching....etc... with every seed you pop, those "features" will be different, even with the same parents.

When a strain gets "worked" through multiple generations of selected breeding, (F2, F3, F4...etc) with each generation, (if properly selected) the "traits" the breeder prefers will tend to be "locked in" where the likelyhood of the next generation exhibiting those traits becomes more probable. Once you start reaching F7, F11, and beyond, then you are likely to see that most seeds produce plants that are very similar in terms of many of the traits, but still will have slight variations overall.

With S1 (selfed or reversed, or feminine seeds), there is only 1 parent, therefore the likelyhood of variation is less than those plants with 2 different parents, but there still will be variety in the S1 seeds, as each seed is a random "roll of the genetic wheel", but since only 1 parent is used in S1 (fem seeds) there is less "options" within that wheel of chance.

So I would recommend taking clones of both, grow both out, and choose which one you personally like the best. Then discard the clone of the one you don't like, and continue growing the one you do :)
This is indeed a great response =] Rep and props, to bad the site doesn't let one give it other than saying but that's fine to as it's better read/heard than just clicking a button imo.

The problem we all run into is what to cull and keep as most want to keep it all! That and space to keep everything. Look for something called bonsai sultan method (I think it is in my signature) as this may help if you decide you want to breed or keep things in a small space. I think the Potcast has a breeding terminology podcast. I know I have it downloaded but I forget where I got it.

I think F5 is when you hit the IBL (in bred line) but one has to be mindful of inbreeding to much as it leads to loss of vigor and other things that will make growing the plant less fun.

Also, personally I would flower out the clones instead of the plant from seed because as far as I remember clones don't produce a tap root(please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as I would prefer to have accurate data) but I forget why that's important =D Something else to keep in mind is supposedly clones will flower faster which may prove useful if you deicide to grow some long flowering sativas.

I have come across that info also. Then more recently came across the info that it means original. Honestly I'm not here to argue syntax nor am I saying you are trying too. I am not sure which I will stick with it probs will come down to context.
My thoughts are that the OG meaning original is in different subcultures. The rap and other modern music has one meaning based on original. I read somewhere that gamers use it to mean original. So, yep, it does come down to context.

The original OG strains were grown and bred on the west coast near the ocean so I use that.;)

Are the Regular or Fem? As Fem there shouldn't be a ton of diff phenos as only one parent. Probably best to ask the breeder how many pheno's there is otherwise and what is dominant, as finding someone that has popped 20+ of that one specific strain to give you an educated guess might be tough to find. Also if Reg could be one is a male unless they have both showed, as they tend to be more stretchy than the girls.
Now phenotypes make up a plant can take any of the parents and or the ones make up the parents depending on dominant . I have Gelato 33 and 41 phenotype growing and u can see 4 different plants. One grows close to ground one stretching one lighter color one darker just depends on what's dominant

Back
Top Bottom