Doc Bud: All Organic OG Kush SCROG

have you ever thought of reusing your soil for later runs? I've been doing a lot of research on soil building today and have seen many people reusing their soil, just using their old soil as a base and adding to it. I throw away tons of soil each year and have filled pretty much all the holes in my yard with it, so reusing it seems like a very effective way to go. I really like your greenhouse, I wish i could have a setup like that and grow some real sativas

have you ever thought of reusing your soil for later runs? I've been doing a lot of research on soil building today and have seen many people reusing their soil, just using their old soil as a base and adding to it. I throw away tons of soil each year and have filled pretty much all the holes in my yard with it, so reusing it seems like a very effective way to go. I really like your greenhouse, I wish i could have a setup like that and grow some real sativas

For the clean freaks, Reuse is never an option, pests and other things but a friend of mine has a big outdoor fire stove and he loads the soil right from his garden into a 25 gall ceramic container and then cooks it at 450*.
Then after it has been cooked fully, he waters it with a tea and some bacteria for gardening... Then he reuses. he further just digs up an area and adds it to his garden. But the sterilzed dirt is key to reuse... for me.

true for the clean freaks it's not really a viable option, but I've not really seen any bad instances of it happening from the experiences I read online.

oh.....for those wanting to try a supersoil one bag at a time, my recipe is posted on the first page.

Other options that are even easier:

1.)use fox farms peace of mind
2.)use vermiblend organic soil amendment.

You'll still need to feed with either of those applications, more feeding with the second one....but you'll also get the beneficials and the great organic flavor.

As long as you use some good tea's....you could easily feed the plants with good old salt based ferts as supplements. I have vigoro rose food standing by, just in case.

Another thing is to put oc+ in a 5 gallon bucket of water and measure the ppm's. Water with it when the ppm's are like 400 or so.....again, making sure to keep the soil alive with compost and/or worm tea.

You really can't go wrong as long as you do the tea's right.....no need to ph either.

I had the director and the main grower of a very large collective ring me up the other day. He got some of the lemon paki i just finished growing:
img_20635.jpg

img_20588.jpg

no bull...no exaggeration....they said it was the best product they've ever seen and they commissioned me to do a complete run of it, which i'll do the next time i have a tray open. I'm in the process of getting a couple mother plants established, etc.

Anyways, they came out and toured the garden. It's a nice grow room.....etc.

These 2 questions were interesting:

1.)how do you flush? What flushing agent do you use?

I told them i don't flush....i just water heavily with tea's. As the soil depletes, the plants "flush" themselves. They were very intrigued...because they had always believed that good flavor comes from flushing. I explained that it was more like bad flavor comes from over feeding and flushing is merely trying to mitigate that.

2.)what target ph do you shoot for?

I explained that i don't check ph and had no idea what the ph was.....

You could see their heads spinning....they'd look at the plants, look at the product.....and next thing you know i'm commissioned to grow for them.

What's my point in saying this other than blatant self promotion and bragging?

Well, it's this:

Anyone can do this. Literally just follow the recipe. Anyone here can grow premium quality weed if they'd just follow the damn recipe. Avoid pot-forum mythology. Avoid slick marketing of over priced nutrient packages. Everything you need can be found in a decent garden shop, often at a price well below hydroponics stores.

Ace hardware has the full fox farms line....bone meal, blood meal, etc. Home depot has gypsum. Rite-aid has epsom salt...

A person could easily grow 30 plants the organic way for under 100 bucks.....yes, it's more work than hempy/oc+. It's probably not the best choice for a first grow...but as soon as you learn a bit, give it a shot! The outcome is spectacular.

You do have to adjust the soil for different strains....and nothing short of experience will tell you how to do that, but certainly anyone here is capable of copying.

It's not that hard folks....

1.)environment
2.)medium
3.)genetics
4.)harvest/dry/cure. (mostly environment here too)

amen doc!

The CG's are insane. So u used 25 gallon containers, are there any benefits going with a 50 gallon? Will the buds double?

Your grow looks very similar to mine. I started a soil grow flowering on October 15th with 6 Tahoe OG, 1 Reserva Privada #18 and 1 clone I got from a dispensary. I think the clone was Dead Head or Larry, not too sure. My setup is very similar with 2 black 4x4 flood trays, with PVC piping to support my SCRoG. I even used the same trellis made of netting. I do not think I will be growing Tahoe again. As far as OG goes, it is not the best strain out there IMHO. To add insult to injury it has been very cold here and I harvested my outdoor plants and brought a powdery mildew infection indoors which means I will have to eventually kill and sanitize every plant I have and start from scratch. Powdery mildew is a death sentence. It sucks so bad, cause it always effects your best strains, and it likes to attack OG in particular.

jus a heads up on the powdery mildew, hydrogen peroxide+water will rid that, jus spray em down in the dark cycle and run a dehumid. :peace:

amen doc!

The CG's are insane. So u used 25 gallon containers, are there any benefits going with a 50 gallon? Will the buds double?

A 50 gallon pot would have been preferable, but I think the plant would have been too big. It was one massive 25 gallon rootball. You could have walked that rootball over the carpet and it wouldn't have dropped any dirt.....solid roots.

If it had more room to grow the greenhouse would not have contained it.

Next year I'll start 'em in August.

A 50 gallon pot would have been preferable, but I think the plant would have been too big. It was one massive 25 gallon rootball. You could have walked that rootball over the carpet and it wouldn't have dropped any dirt.....solid roots.

If it had more room to grow the greenhouse would not have contained it.

Next year I'll start 'em in August.

50 Gallon? Next you'll be needing a forklift to go along with your cement mixer! :thumb:

The OG half of the garden is starting to rock. The plants are all very healthy and are starting to bloom nicely. Hopefully, they'll stop stretching soon and I can crank up the CO2 and get this thing going! The supersoil is doing it's thing. I'll be adding some Budswel to the watering cycle in between teas. I'm going to try to make these things stink bigger than any OG grown in the history of the world.....:tokin: No, seriously, I'm really pushing the sulfur....that's where the terpenes come from.
IMG_21393.JPG

IMG_21442.JPG

IMG_21411.JPG

The non-OG portion is also doing well, with Lemon Thai, Chocolate Thai and New Zealand Purple Kush starting to show their stuff. The Lemon Thai is absurdly resinous....even large Sun (fan leaves) are frosty. It's got about 5-6 weeks to go, too. Wow!
IMG_21342.JPG

IMG_21363.JPG

IMG_21373.JPG

IMG_21383.JPG

IMG_21303.JPG

IMG_21312.JPG

New Zealand Purple Kush: I'll top this one next time I grow it.
IMG_21352.JPG

IMG_21421.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_21252.JPG

IMG_21263.JPG

IMG_21273.JPG

IMG_21282.JPG

IMG_21294.JPG

IMG_21323.JPG

IMG_21333.JPG

Really nice garden Doc. Just beautiful. You really have this organics dialed in. Just finished my first O garden. Biggest yields ever for me, and tastes incredible in a dirty bong. The science behind the organic soil method is just more fun to me.

Looked at pics again. Its a really really nice garden. That new zealand monster is insane. Two side by side colas after topping would be cool too.

Question 1: Is that a closed room?

Question 2: I have some DJ Short Blueberry males in my flower tent. When should i harvest the sacs? I want to back breed them.

Awesome job,
Peace

Really nice garden Doc. Just beautiful. You really have this organics dialed in. Just finished my first O garden. Biggest yields ever for me, and tastes incredible in a dirty bong. The science behind the organic soil method is just more fun to me.

Looked at pics again. Its a really really nice garden. That new zealand monster is insane. Two side by side colas after topping would be cool too.

Question 1: Is that a closed room?

Question 2: I have some DJ Short Blueberry males in my flower tent. When should i harvest the sacs? I want to back breed them.

Awesome job,
Peace

Thanks bro!

Yes, the NZ Purple Kush is a bit taller than I thought it would be....nearly 31 inches on that main cola. It would have been better topped. But I've never grown most of these strains and only know one person who has.....they guy who gave them to me. He's not the kind of guy you want to call up everyday and pester with questions....I'll learn more by growing them and journaling the grow.

Yes, my rooms are "sealed." However, what I mean by that is a bit more complicated than just that.

While the lights are on, the room is completely isolated from the exterior environment except the AC, which is mounted up high so it doesn't suck out too much CO2. The C02 only fires about once every 2 hours, so my tanks are now lasting for months, instead of about 14 days before.

When the lights are off, I have a fan blowing outside air into the room through a HEPA filter, and another fan withdrawing air through a large carbon filter.

Fresh air all night, C02 all day.

RE males in the bloom tent....uh oh. Get 'em out of there!

Put em in the dark for a couple days, the cut off a branch or two and shake the pollen out into a baggie.

Using an artists paint brush, gently, carefully paint a small amount of pollen onto some lower bud sites early on in the bloom cycle. Do this with the fans OFF. A few hours after the pollenation, spray the plants down with water/compost tea, etc. You want to get rid of all the pollen except what you put on the plant.

Mark them with ribbon. And consider leaving a few leaves and these lower buds on the plants at harvest, to grow another couple weeks, insuring really healthy seeds.

My room isnt completely sealed. Theres air that comes from under the door. Should I have an intake fan no matter if sealed or not? I have an outake fan, for the lights.

Thank you! The sacs are about a week old should i remove now?

So what r u medicating on tonight?

Damn Doc, your garden looks so delicious already...lovin that OG grow!! I found out by trying a few on my last grow that OG's like supercropping in flower.. I think I did mine around day 20 and much larger and thicker buds than the non supercropped ones... just a suggestion... Looks great and super healthy plants!!! Cant wait to see them thru finish!!

Hey Doc, how are you pushing the sulfur? I love watching your grows. Never would have considered OC+ till your journals, I've always been organic in soil. Now I recommend OC+ to all newbie growers for a batch or two at minimum.

Damn Doc, your garden looks so delicious already...lovin that OG grow!! I found out by trying a few on my last grow that OG's like supercropping in flower.. I think I did mine around day 20 and much larger and thicker buds than the non supercropped ones... just a suggestion... Looks great and super healthy plants!!! Cant wait to see them thru finish!!

yep. All the OG has been supercropped. I'll probably do another round of it in a day or two, but the canopy has filled in nicely.

Hey Doc, how are you pushing the sulfur? I love watching your grows. Never would have considered OC+ till your journals, I've always been organic in soil. Now I recommend OC+ to all newbie growers for a batch or two at minimum.

OC+ is awesome stuff. You can't miss with it. I wish I had used it on the Purple Paki I grew a few months ago.....my soil was too hot. The OC+ would have avoided that trouble.

But as I get my soil dialed in for each strain, the organics win out. The OC+ is easier, cheaper and stoner-proof.....perfect for growing high grade meds.....but hand grown organics are just a little bit better.....but also more hassle and more expensive.

RE sulfur: epsom salt, and Budswel both have lots of sulfur. I also put gypsum in the soil when it was blended. OG in particular just sucks it up. But I'm not force feeding.....just making sure there is an abundance of sulfur, magnesium and potassium in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom