Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

No problems yet that i know of. What week of flower do you usually start to see trichomes? Those are at about 3 weeks.(give or take a couple days)

A lot of it depends on the strain, but by week 3 I usually have sugar, quite a bit on some, not as much on others.

The shade of green you have suggests a good deal of nitrogen in the soil, but the plants are obviously very healthy and vibrant.

What's your medium etc?

A lot of it depends on the strain, but by week 3 I usually have sugar, quite a bit on some, not as much on others.

The shade of green you have suggests a good deal of nitrogen in the soil, but the plants are obviously very healthy and vibrant.

What's your medium etc?

I also thought i had too much nitrogen and was doing some research last week and that's how i came across your threads.

The medium is FFOF and i'm using the master pack from roots organics until my other organic soils are done cooking. I actually went really light on the roots organics feeding(like every 3rd or 4th watering) I use R.O water with general organics cal mag but not every feeding. I haven't planned on giving them any nutrients for a little bit. All temps are in check. The strain is Bubba pre 98. At least that's what they said they were.

I could be wrong on how long they have been under 12/12. I'ts possible they are around 2 weeks. I haven't been keeping the best track of that stuff but i know i should be.

I also thought i had too much nitrogen and was doing some research last week and that's how i came across your threads.

The medium is FFOF and i'm using the master pack from roots organics until my other organic soils are done cooking. I actually went really light on the roots organics feeding(like every 3rd or 4th watering) I use R.O water with general organics cal mag but not every feeding. I haven't planned on giving them any nutrients for a little bit. All temps are in check. The strain is Bubba pre 98. At least that's what they said they were.

Well, they look great. Your decisions on feeding seem spot on.

I think you'll harvest something pretty nice.

Well, they look great. Your decisions on feeding seem spot on.

I think you'll harvest something pretty nice.

I agree.

I used FoxFarm's soil and I can attest that N. Tox. is totally possible in it. I was also using FF Trio nutrients but I had a lady get some pretty dark green leaves and it had its growth stunted for about 2 weeks.

Currently using Roots Organics on a LA Kush in Royal Gold Basement Mix and that plant LOVES Roots Organics. Love it.

If anything give your plants a flush and continue feeding with less N or just tone down the N cause FF Soil doesn't need much.

I agree.

I used FoxFarm's soil and I can attest that N. Tox. is totally possible in it. I was also using FF Trio nutrients but I had a lady get some pretty dark green leaves and it had its growth stunted for about 2 weeks.

Currently using Roots Organics on a LA Kush in Royal Gold Basement Mix and that plant LOVES Roots Organics. Love it.

If anything give your plants a flush and continue feeding with less N or just tone down the N cause FF Soil doesn't need much.

I figured i would just top dress some minerals and and maybe a foliar feeding of some liquid kelp and then just feed plain water till i see signs of them needing anything. Any suggestions on how i can help out resin production?

I figured i would just top dress some minerals and and maybe a foliar feeding of some liquid kelp and then just feed plain water till i see signs of them needing anything. Any suggestions on how i can help out resin production?

Resin production is mostly genetic I think. I'm not sure what chemically creates resin in Cannabis, so if you're looking for organic suggestions I'm not your man.

I use an additive called Snow Storm Ultra, which is supposed to increase resin production throughout Flower. I use it as a Foliar Spray and feed it to my plants once every 7-10 days. A lot of people on here use it, and seem to like the results it gives. I definitely think it helped.

What's your medium etc?

Hey doc that converted JH has trichs forming on the leaves at 15 days of 12/12......just now saw them and now reading this.....funny how life works.....:thumb:

Resin production is mostly genetic I think. I'm not sure what chemically creates resin in Cannabis, so if you're looking for organic suggestions I'm not your man.

I use an additive called Snow Storm Ultra, which is supposed to increase resin production throughout Flower. I use it as a Foliar Spray and feed it to my plants once every 7-10 days. A lot of people on here use it, and seem to like the results it gives. I definitely think it helped.

I used to use Snow Storm Ultra! I stopped when I found out it was loaded with Plant Growth Regulators of a nasty nature. I don't think it can be sold in California anymore.

As for increasing resin production, you most definitely can do so and while it is "genetic" the trick is to turn on the plant's genetic physiology to stimulate the "make resin" part of the plant's programming.

That is done by introducing Cations at the root level and via foliar feeding. This is the Cat Drench (my way of doing it) and the Brix foliar.

When soils are already overloaded with organic material it is an exercise in futility to change the ionic balance of the soil. But in nimble High Brix soil, a couple drenches will do the trick!

Couple that with cool, dry nights and you'll turn it on. I hope slotown posts a pic her took today.

I went ahead and fed a Champagne at 12 weeks, sprayed Brix and am letting it go another week. I'd say it's the best plant I've ever grown. It has resin. I used these very techniques.

Doc, can you clarify your meaning of "Organic Matter" please? Obviously, sphagnum peat moss is organic matter, which the kit is based off of. Same with EWC. What types of organic matter should not be used in large amounts? Compost? Amendments? EWC? Why add extra leaves if worried about om, in a soil loaded with it?

Doc, can you clarify your meaning of "Organic Matter" please? Obviously, sphagnum peat moss is organic matter, which the kit is based off of. Same with EWC. What types of organic matter should not be used in large amounts? Compost? Amendments? EWC? Why add extra leaves if worried about om, in a soil loaded with it?

You really don't want too much organic matter in the soil. Would you grow a plant in straight manure? Straight compost? Chicken manure?

So, obviously at some point the concentration of organic matter becomes toxic to the plant. The next question is how much organic material must be present in the soil before things start to go bad? We know we need some....but how much is enough and how much is too much?

Well, smarter folks than me, who asked all those questions and many more along those lines learned that humus content in soil should be no more than 8%, 4-6% being about right. A lot of organic matter breaks down into humus....these are the leaves, roots and so forth. This type of material takes up a lot of room and doesn't weigh much.

Manure's on the other hand, take up very little space but weigh quite a bit more being denser than the leaves. Keeping these basic facts in mind, it takes a great deal of the former and not too much of the latter to achieve 4-6% humus content.

Many people add way too much compost, and far too much organic fertilizer/tea and so forth. This actually hinders microbial action, because they really begin to drop off at about 10% humus.

So, adding a few leaves might increase humus content .1 or .2%. The roots probably boost 1-2%....I'm just guessing here based on mass estimates. Promix is already near zero with humus. The EWC bring it to about 3% and over time it increases more. This is why the soil gets better in subsequent runs....and then we have to dump it after run 4 or 5, unless we cut in fresh Promix and so forth. I prefer to just dispose of it after 4 runs and start fresh so I know what I have.

Adding the leaves boosts the soil and Dr. Reams taught that it "tuned" the soil for that particular crop.

Obviously there are soil mixes with a much higher ratio of organic matter that successfully grow hearty plants.

Obviously there are soil mixes with a much higher ratio of organic matter that successfully grow hearty plants.

Have you personally been there or is this what you've seen online? In a real true stable environment that wouldn't be the best choice period.

Wait till pests take over.

I'd place a 5g wager on docs kit over any soil mixture you draw up in the for see able future. I've found new growers extremely over think everything and when they think they got it they hit there face on the ground (been there)

Organic soil that has too much attention and over thought from what I've currently seen on here drains extremely poorly and said plants look sick.

I'm updating journals a Lil tonight I was busy sorry doc for the rant.

Alternative soil mix and amount...

Doc,
About to pull the trigger on a High Brix Kit, but I have a few more questions:

• Do you still approve Sunshine Mix #4 as an alternate to ProMix HP Mycro?
  • Can I mix and cook a half batch of soil to grow three plants without complications later on?
  • In you opinion, is the SWICK watering system a good fit for High Brix?

Thanks! :Namaste:

Re: Alternative soil mix and amount...

Doc,

• Can I mix and cook a half batch of soil to grow three plants without complications later on?

I second the swick question......it doesn't seems like you could dry the plant out in veg......maybe good for flower?

Re: Alternative soil mix and amount...

Doc,

Sunshine is second best.....but it will work.
No problem cooking a half batch, just make sure the amendment is carefully mixed and you take half of it by weight.
SWICK is good for bloom....not for veg. Will it work in veg? Yes.....but if you follow my advice on watering in veg you'll have better structure.

Back
Top Bottom