Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hey Doc,

I've read through a few discussion about purple petioles including your own where, it seems, you couldn't figure it out either. In my very limited experience it does seem that green petioled plants are happier so I'm wondering if you came to any conclusions about what stresser is behind the purple petiole. I've come across both N and P named as the alleged culprits. Jorge C.dodges the question at his interweb spot. There doesn't seem to be much concern focused on the issue at all.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ludweed.

The petioles of Sun Leaves are like indicators. If the plant's metabolism is revving at "top speed" the petioles will be bright green. This usually won't continue to the very end of bloom, but the longer you can keep 'em bright green, the better things are going.

Phosphorus and Magnesium are often drawn out of sun leaves---a normal process---and as the plant draws more reserves, the petioles get more purple.
Factors in phosphorus uptake include temperatures, soil health and over watering. Magnesium can be an issue when the CE is off, especially with competetion from sodium and potassium.

My plants generally have bright green petioles until about week 5 or 6 of bloom, at which time a few start to yellow and drop off. Lately, I've been somewhat neglectful due to being way to F'n busy, so my plants don't look quite as healthy and I've got ratty looking Sun Leaves and fan leaves, as the buds are forming fast and furious and are digesting the leaves.

it's great that you're busy although sorry that it is keeping you away from your grows. thanks for the info.
Thanks bro! I'm getting it back under control. Circumstances aligned late last year and I found myself:

1. Growing
2. building a new business
3. relocating my professional office (big freakin deal.)

Number 1 suffered, number 3 is now largely accomplished and the new business of taking off and growing. So much for the theory that pot makes a person lazy!

Thanks bro! I'm getting it back under control. Circumstances aligned late last year and I found myself:

1. Growing

Number 1 suffered, number 3 is now largely accomplished and the new business of taking off and growing. So much for the theory that pot makes a person lazy!

badass congrats DOC!!!!:thumb:

Q for ya what do you think these are and how often should i spray the bug and pest. i sprayed 6 days ago and plan to spray again today.
i dont see any damage on the leaves after 2 weeks now. i thought they were spider mites becasue of the red legs but i havent seen spider mite with a brown/black back and a white streak/spot on the back...any ideas? should i take matters further than the bug and pest spray?
0041600.JPG

1. Growing

I know way way more lazy people who claim they DONT smoke, then those who do. :)

Q for ya what do you think these are and how often should i spray the bug and pest. i sprayed 6 days ago and plan to spray again today.
i dont see any damage on the leaves after 2 weeks now. i thought they were spider mites becasue of the red legs but i havent seen spider mite with a brown/black back and a white streak/spot on the back...any ideas? should i take matters further than the bug and pest spray?
0041600.JPG

Those bugs..Thats known as 'coming out of the woodwork' for certain! :) i guess its normal to have bugs on outdoor grows, and no harm done with certain insects, arachnoids if they do no harm, but help...
Keep us posted.

0041600.JPG

No damage.

I don't know what those bugs are, but I have bugs on my plants and they don't hurt 'em much. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Keep an eye on it. For all I know those could be beneficial insects.

thanks DOC ill keep an eye on it i also have the great gardenfarie helping to identify these critters...my hopes are beneficial! ill let you know if i can figure it out!:peace:

Some pics of my helper's second grow ever. This is an Afghani strain of some sort and uses the new Roots Product I'm shipping with the kits now.

Picture_010165.jpg
Picture_009168.jpg
Picture_008168.jpg
Picture_007186.jpg
Picture_006203.jpg

here are some pics of other stuff I have going right now. I've neglected the garden a bit the last 3 weeks. I'll be finishing up, giving it a good scrubbing, top to bottom and re-planting with:

Willie Nelson
Jack Herer
Lemon Paki
Purple Cadillac (pics of the nugs coming soon....incredible.)

Picture_01997.jpg
Picture_018103.jpg
Picture_01795.jpg
Picture_01696.jpg
Picture_015120.jpg
Picture_014138.jpg
Picture_013137.jpg
Picture_012148.jpg
Picture_011150.jpg
Picture_005220.jpg
Picture_004229.jpg
Picture_003234.jpg
Picture_002233.jpg

Looking Tasty ! Ever consider using air trimming pots, where the roots get trimmed off when they hit the side surface of the pot thereby avoiding the corkscrew spiralling, the result is that the roots grow stronger and multiply in a capillary fashion .

Hi doc, just harvested my first crop and turned out awesome. The wash made a big differance, glad i did it. Doc what do you think of remineralized r o system called the hydro gardner for using with the kit. Removes all the bad shit and puts good minerals back in. Would this be ok to use with the kit?

Hi doc, just harvested my first crop and turned out awesome. The wash made a big differance, glad i did it. Doc what do you think of remineralized r o system called the hydro gardner for using with the kit. Removes all the bad shit and puts good minerals back in. Would this be ok to use with the kit?

AS long as it's not adding a bunch of sodium it sounds like an improvement over straight RO.

SGA i see ur stems and petioles are GREEN! any idea why? are all your plants green like that? how many weeks old are the plants in the pic?

ty bud

Whats up VonDank!

All the plants ive grown in high brix, specifically from seed, have started with and never lost the GREEN GREEN stem/petioles look. Ive read DOC say its a sign of utmost health. If im wrong DOC please do correct me here. The plant in the pic is a Berry ryder at 30 days or so from seed its in my autoflower thread in my sig.

In all the journals in my sig from some photo strains i have at 4-5 weeks into flower now, 3 autoflower and the 1 sage n sour that is a few weeks into veg they all have the same green plant look with dark green healthy leaves.

Whats up VonDank!

All the plants ive grown in high brix, specifically from seed, have started with and never lost the GREEN GREEN stem/petioles look. Ive read DOC say its a sign of utmost health. If im wrong DOC please do correct me here. The plant in the pic is a Berry ryder at 30 days or so from seed its in my autoflower thread in my sig.

In all the journals in my sig from some photo strains i have at 4-5 weeks into flower now, 3 autoflower and the 1 sage n sour that is a few weeks into veg they all have the same green plant look with dark green healthy leaves.

Bright green petioles is a sign of kicking ass and taking names. Well done!

Hey Doc,

Is it correct that the High Brix method and specific to using your Kit, if done right, the promix HP soil can be reused? Another question, the instructions for the kit say that once the soil is mixed with the amendment, it should sit, ideally for one month. Is sitting mandatory? If so, what is the minimum time it can sit before being used? Thanks

Hey Doc,

Is it correct that the High Brix method and specific to using your Kit, if done right, the promix HP soil can be reused? Another question, the instructions for the kit say that once the soil is mixed with the amendment, it should sit, ideally for one month. Is sitting mandatory? If so, what is the minimum time it can sit before being used? Thanks

Yes to every question except the one that says 30 days. It can sit for a long time, months....years...as long as it doesn't get too hot or cold and it stays relatively moist. Most people want to use it immediately, not keep it for months.

Instructions can be found in my signature. I suggest reading to catch up, otherwise I'm answering the same questions page after page after page......

Doc,

I understand and I see where my mistake was. I read the instructions you sent several times. I did not see anything about recycling the soil. The instructions you sent me linked to an update of July, 2013. After reading the link in your signature, I see that you do mention recycling soil it at the end. I will use that link from now on. As far as my question of the soil sitting, it was because the term used in the old like was "Ideally" it would sit for a month. I was not asking if it could sit for months, I was wondering if it could sit for just a week or two only before use. I now understand that it is mandatory for it to sit for a month.

If I have questions beyond what is covered in the instructions, is there a FAQ or somewhere else I should look for the answer?

Doc,

I understand and I see where my mistake was. I read the instructions you sent several times. I did not see anything about recycling the soil. The instructions you sent me linked to an update of July, 2013. After reading the link in your signature, I see that you do mention recycling soil it at the end. I will use that link from now on. As far as my question of the soil sitting, it was because the term used in the old like was "Ideally" it would sit for a month. I was not asking if it could sit for months, I was wondering if it could sit for just a week or two only before use. I now understand that it is mandatory for it to sit for a month.

If I have questions beyond what is covered in the instructions, is there a FAQ or somewhere else I should look for the answer?

MOST all answers can be found on this current thread or this one..here is the link.
In The Lab

Educating your self is key to success read read read read and read more then read and read and read all the other high brix growers threads and i dont think there will be much of any question left un answered :)

Bright green petioles is a sign of kicking ass and taking names. Well done!

i agree that bright green petioles is an indication of excellent health. but i notice that purple petioles appear even on tbe finest plants. i observed that a few of the spectacular specimens under consideration for the monthly contest have purple petioles as do a few of the beauties contained in SGA's thread.

right now i have 5 clones cut from the same moma. all of em cut same time and potted in same mix. all well rooted and growing nicely. 4 out of 5 have purple petioles? they have all been in the same environment 65-77°. so i am still super curious about this. just now i cleaned up a flowering plant. i snipped an inner branch and stripped the leaves to get a reading (14-15). this inner stem had bright green petioles while the rest of the plant is purpled.

super interesting right? (to me at least). i dont wanna derail this thread but how else to get the attention of 420s shinning stars.
thanks guys.

i agree that bright green petioles is an indication of excellent health. but i notice that purple petioles appear even on tbe finest plants. i observed that a few of the spectacular specimens under consideration for the monthly contest have purple petioles as do a few of the beauties contained in SGA's thread.

right now i have 5 clones cut from the same moma. all of em cut same time and potted in same mix. all well rooted and growing nicely. 4 out of 5 have purple petioles? they have all been in the same environment 65-77°. so i am still super curious about this. just now i cleaned up a flowering plant. i snipped an inner branch and stripped the leaves to get a reading (14-15). this inner stem had bright green petioles while the rest of the plant is purpled.

super interesting right? (to me at least). i dont wanna derail this thread but how else to get the attention of 420s shinning stars.
thanks guys.

I've been speculating about something lately, along these lines. I think what happens is the plant's metabolism gets so revved up at times....petioles and stems bright green, leaves perky, waxy and all of that....if the soil energy goes flat, or the roots get drowned, or the night temps get below 63 or so.....phosphorus uptake suffers and the plants can get purple petioles almost overnight. It's not a big deal, if everything else is in check. They're just drawing on the ample reserve tank, because the buds are still developing on schedule.

Some plants might be put into bloom with underdeveloped root systems, or perhaps they over grow the container and become root bound in early bloom....that will stress the plant as well.

I'll take some pics in a couple days of a few plants I have. There's a strawberry cough that is bright green on each and every petiole, every leaf looks like a plastic model with shiney paint. A few feet away are some OG's with purple petioles. A quarter cup of guano is the only difference between the two, other than genetics.

I was told Lemon Paki was normal with a purple stem when I got the cut. Indeed, when I was in super soil my stems had dark, red wine streaks. Now they're bright green.

It just depends!

Back
Top Bottom