Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I am not sure what is going on here but the wild thai's are deteriorating right before my eyes. Started with one plant as it seemed like it was burned and I thought perhaps I did a foliar to close to lights on(4 hours). Started at the bottom and it is working on upward it seems. Resin production has ceased and only the very tops have any life. Took apart a bud it just crumbled. Going into week 8 and way to early but it is going to ruin everything if I wait. Last night when I took the bud apart it crumbled and looked like a hermie situation or something like it. I did this late foliar about 10 days ago but the plants are literally dieing with dead leaves. I was assuming color changes were normal as it did this last time. Things going necrotic. Some pics. Any ideas all welcome.
011821.jpg

010957.jpg

0091039.jpg

0081159.jpg

Mornin Doc and gang! Too bad about the bud rot any 2.Just wondering...what's the r.h. in the room? Anyhow Doc...me make big pots.Took 4, 7 gal rootbuilders and combined them to make two, 10.5 gal . pots. Dr ziggy's idea worked great! I filled them up with "pure" kit soil...no dumbing down,but i thought about it.Just want to try this strain a few more times in these much bigger pots to see if i can get the same yield from two plants as apposed to three.I really want to stick with the "pure" kit soil to keep the brix as high as possible for the whole grow.The quality of my last H.B. MK-Ultra is off the charts in flavour and potency ,so i know the quality is going to be there,just going to grow them bigger in these pots before the flip this time.My new Budmaster2 xg675 will be here in a week or so .With this new light i should be able to meet my goal of 12z's for the two plants.Fingers crossed! Thoughts Doc? Cheers gang!

Bud rot. Damn....those plants are toast. Run the sulfur vape if you've got it and you'll be OK for the rest.
Yea.....fuck me. The RH was high a few times and found the dehumidifier not working because it was full. 20 pint fills fast under the right conditions. All 6 Thai's have it but the others don't show any signs of it and are almost ready as this is week 8. So everything is toast? Some colas still look great but obv time will get them too. What a dissapointment.....but with failure comes learning and figuring out what to do and not to do.

Looking forward to next fall as I am hanging it up for the summer and I will be doing many upgrades and improvements for next year. My biggest lesson I learned is that you have to be on point at all times with the environment and keeping it stable.

Now Doc as far as the sulfur vape would I want to run it for the last week for the other indica dom strains? and is that to head off rot for the others? I could prolly pull them all up now as well. Thoughts.......

Peace,

Any2

Doc, is the lemon paki your own creation? How much further are you going to let the plants above go?

Just saw this. Missed it earlier. The Lemon Paki strain came to me by "accident" or fate. I was in the right place at the right time and received a few cuttings of what I was told was "sacred" weed. Sacred? It is to me now!

Yea.....fuck me. The RH was high a few times and found the dehumidifier not working because it was full. 20 pint fills fast under the right conditions. All 6 Thai's have it but the others don't show any signs of it and are almost ready as this is week 8. So everything is toast? Some colas still look great but obv time will get them too. What a dissapointment.....but with failure comes learning and figuring out what to do and not to do.

Looking forward to next fall as I am hanging it up for the summer and I will be doing many upgrades and improvements for next year. My biggest lesson I learned is that you have to be on point at all times with the environment and keeping it stable.

Now Doc as far as the sulfur vape would I want to run it for the last week for the other indica dom strains? and is that to head off rot for the others? I could prolly pull them all up now as well. Thoughts.......

Peace,

Any2

If they're ready in a couple weeks go ahead and do a burn for 3 or 4 hours. When you harvest, make sure to use the peroxide bath and if there is any sign of bud rot, toss it.

The plants with the bud rot are toast....sorry bro. It happens.

Doc,

If I add 15lbs of Worm castings should I look to get two 40 gal trash cans to let the soil cook instead of two 32 gal cans?? I know the castings are optional, but do you recommend them?? What is the added benefit of having them vs not having them included??

Doc,

If I add 15lbs of Worm castings should I look to get two 40 gal trash cans to let the soil cook instead of two 32 gal cans?? I know the castings are optional, but do you recommend them?? What is the added benefit of having them vs not having them included??

I recommend 20-40 pound of castings. It just works better.

Can size doesn't matter as long as the soil fits in it.

Hey Doc,

I am reversing a plant that i have grown in HB soil since seed and is about to start producing pollen.

have you heard/do you know/ do you think, a HB male plant or a reversed HB female, plant's pollen can produce any extra potent/stronger genetics than a non HB plant???

so basically would there be an advantage to growing plants for seed stock in HB soil VS non HB???

Hey Doc,

I am reversing a plant that i have grown in HB soil since seed and is about to start producing pollen.

have you heard/do you know/ do you think, a HB male plant or a reversed HB female, plant's pollen can produce any extra potent/stronger genetics than a non HB plant???

so basically would there be an advantage to growing plants for seed stock in HB soil VS non HB???

You're sailing off the map bro! let us know how it all works out, please.

Seeds made from HB plants are amazing! Big, spotted, striped things that germ fast!

You're sailing off the map bro! let us know how it all works out, please.

Seeds made from HB plants are amazing! Big, spotted, striped things that germ fast!

I can attest to that. I've popped two unintended seeds from different HB harvests, and they both came rocketing out of the soil. :thumb:

I just poked a hole in the soil and popped 'em in there, too - no soaking, no nuthin.

Doc, could you explain why bonemeal is used instead of soft rock phosphate as extra P to get the OG smell? It seems like the two are interchangeable but become available to plants at different rates. Ive read bonemeal is more readily available than SRP but shouldn't the P levels still give the effect we desire? This chart below is interesting. What do you think of fish bonemeal?

image9886.jpg

Worth noting is how long each lasts, I thought guano was faster action than bonemeal, but apparently it lasts longer. With recycling soil in mind, is bonemeal a better choice?

Also worth noting - I picked up a bag of happy frog steamed bone meal, on the bag it says "derived from: steamed bone meal" but on the FF site, it says: "Our Steamed Bone Meal is pH-balanced with premium organic ingredients like bat guano, kelp meal, feather meal and other beneficial microbes to help convert fertilizers into vital plant food and enhance disease-resistance for all stages of plant growth and flowering."

So I'm on the phone them with now trying to figure out what's in the bag I got here. I'll report back.

Doc, could you explain why bonemeal is used instead of soft rock phosphate as extra P to get the OG smell? It seems like the two are interchangeable but become available to plants at different rates. Ive read bonemeal is more readily available than SRP but shouldn't the P levels still give the effect we desire? This chart below is interesting. What do you think of fish bonemeal?

image9886.jpg

Worth noting is how long each lasts, I thought guano was faster action than bonemeal, but apparently it lasts longer. With recycling soil in mind, is bonemeal a better choice?

Also worth noting - I picked up a bag of happy frog steamed bone meal, on the bag it says "derived from: steamed bone meal" but on the FF site, it says: "Our Steamed Bone Meal is pH-balanced with premium organic ingredients like bat guano, kelp meal, feather meal and other beneficial microbes to help convert fertilizers into vital plant food and enhance disease-resistance for all stages of plant growth and flowering."

So I'm on the phone them with now trying to figure out what's in the bag I got here. I'll report back.

SRP isn't the best source of Phosphorus, but it is a GREAT source of calcium and being a colloidal clay it has fantastic CEC properties, also many trace minerals.

Bone meal is readily available to the plant, whereas SRP is not. I used the steamed stuff precisely because it's available quickly, which is what I want with the OG stuff.

If you wanted to build a high brix soil using only organic ingredients, I'd probably use the fish bone meal, unsteamed.

I'm re-thinking my irrational desire to grow strains that need poor soil---like OG's---in favor of finding strains that really kick as in HB. It's such a memorable experience smoking HB weed with people for the first time, while at the same time EVERYONE has had the OG. Sure mine is good.....but it ain't HB!

The Lemon Paki is so much better in pretty much every way. And this new Afghani strain is really amazing! More resin now than I've ever seen before. A definite keeper.

SRP isn't the best source of Phosphorus, but it is a GREAT source of calcium and being a colloidal clay it has fantastic CEC properties, also many trace minerals.

Bone meal is readily available to the plant, whereas SRP is not. I used the steamed stuff precisely because it's available quickly, which is what I want with the OG stuff.

If you wanted to build a high brix soil using only organic ingredients, I'd probably use the fish bone meal, unsteamed.

I'm re-thinking my irrational desire to grow strains that need poor soil---like OG's---in favor of finding strains that really kick as in HB. It's such a memorable experience smoking HB weed with people for the first time, while at the same time EVERYONE has had the OG. Sure mine is good.....but it ain't HB!

The Lemon Paki is so much better in pretty much every way. And this new Afghani strain is really amazing! More resin now than I've ever seen before. A definite keeper.

Thanks doc. Yes I realize how much better the landraces go. But these beans will and are burning a hole in my pocket LOL. I have a couple of landrace seeds coming my way I'm excited to try. Afghanchitral (afghan x Pakistani chitral kush) is likely first on deck. I'd also like to find a landrace F1 sativa x indica cross. Anyone happen to know which combo - [sativa x indica] or [indica x sativa] is more suited for indoors?

image9886.jpg

Tavosvo,
Analogy..whole food supplements vs artificial man made supplements( chemicals) ..
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts...
Dr. Royal Lee..a genius, dentist- became a nutritionist, decades ( almost a century) ahead of his time, said this...a working pocket watch has function as a watch, take a hammer and smash the watch, you have the same watch, in pieces, but no longer will functions as meant to be..a watch...same thing as nutrients for plants ( as us :) ) if you have a chemical, or mineral that is present in its pure form it will not work in living things the same if its in its natural combined state...
Few things in nature occur isolated and in pure state...in their natural form, theyre usually combined with many many synergistic components.
Vitamin C ( FDA labels it ascorbic acid..its actually a complex like ALL vitamins are )isolated, takes alot in its pure form to get same ( if ever) effect as the small amounts in i.e. an orange thats combined with 100s of other naturally ocurring components.
This is why high brix gives you a very superior result as opposed to NPK ..bone meal has many other components..trace minerals, etc than does the SRP. Life begets Life! :)

Doc, would adding some small amts of bentonite clay powder or liquid, or even some other clay, to the Pro Mix soil benefit it?

Thanks doc. Yes I realize how much better the landraces go. But these beans will and are burning a hole in my pocket LOL. I have a couple of landrace seeds coming my way I'm excited to try. Afghanchitral (afghan x Pakistani chitral kush) is likely first on deck. I'd also like to find a landrace F1 sativa x indica cross. Anyone happen to know which combo - [sativa x indica] or [indica x sativa] is more suited for indoors?

That Aghanicitral strain is going to KICK SERIOUS ASS in HB. That's what we're talking about! I wouldn't dumb that soil down for that at all.

Tavosvo,
Analogy..whole food supplements vs artificial man made supplements( chemicals) ..
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts...
Dr. Royal Lee..a genius, dentist- became a nutritionist, decades ( almost a century) ahead of his time, said this...a working pocket watch has function as a watch, take a hammer and smash the watch, you have the same watch, in pieces, but no longer will functions as meant to be..a watch...same thing as nutrients for plants ( as us :) ) if you have a chemical, or mineral that is present in its pure form it will not work in living things the same if its in its natural combined state...
Few things in nature occur isolated and in pure state...in their natural form, theyre usually combined with many many synergistic components.
Vitamin C ( FDA labels it ascorbic acid..its actually a complex like ALL vitamins are )isolated, takes alot in its pure form to get same ( if ever) effect as the small amounts in i.e. an orange thats combined with 100s of other naturally ocurring components.
This is why high brix gives you a very superior result as opposed to NPK ..bone meal has many other components..trace minerals, etc than does the SRP. Life begets Life! :)

Doc, would adding some small amts of bentonite clay powder or liquid, or even some other clay, to the Pro Mix soil benefit it?

Excellent analogy bro! We think the same way on this, that's pretty much exactly how I look at things.

RE: adding to the soil. NO. The lab that formulates the broadcast has all kinds of stuff they can add and they add everything needed and nothing not needed. While Bentonite might be a good additive for some situations it is NOT recommended for High Brix.

If you want to "dumb it down" like we do for hydro strains, I don't think Bentonite would be at the top of my list. I'd like to try Frass, Guano works, as does Steamed Bone meal. Next up on the Dumb soil for me is half guano half bone meal.

But that's only for hydro strains! You'll have bugs, your garden will suffer. Mines a mess right now from growing in dumbed down soil. I'm over run with mites and the high brix plants are looking tired from fighting them.

My garden was much nicer before growing OG! But I've also got quite a bit of very nice OG.....so it's a trade off I suppose, but I'm sick of the damn mites!

Orange tips ?

Hello Amigos,
So I am getting a small amount of orange tips and some edges on leafs on the top leafs, should I worry ?
What might be a cure ?

Second unrelated question, earth worm castings in a container with quality water and a air pump bubbler,
am I wasting time & money ?

Have a good 1, Bulldog

Back
Top Bottom