Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I have been following along for a while lately and I really like Doc's lazy one gallon for bloom watering and drenches. I have taken to it and man I am really enjoying the simplicity. The new direction's 0.5-1.0 mL per gallon of soil is really the cat's pajamas too.

Doc, these roots are around where I would be transplanting and you asked for a picture a while back. Here it is. What are your thoughts on the timing and any other things you see here?

DSC_0001139.JPG

Oh come on man... give me some credit. I have everything else down that you mentioned... the only thing I am getting hung up on is exactly how much drench to use. Not when to use it, just how much. Please don't consider me completely ignorant of this whole process because i'm hung up on this one detail. I see my original confusion was, for some reason I kept reading oz as ml. Thats my bad and I did apologize.

Dunno, written words can be tricky. :cheesygrinsmiley: I was jus' explainin' for everyone ...

It's not like drenches are expensive, either. This measuring subject comes up a lot, so we keep trying to find new ways to say it. If we want to soak/dunk, we need more fluid - need something for the last couple plants to sit in and soak up. So that means more water, and if we want to keep the drench/water ratio right, that means more drench, too ... so that ends up being more drench per soil gallon ... it can be confusing, but it doesn't need to.

Hence my post. Use as much water as you want. :cheesygrinsmiley: The pot will only soak up so much, anyway. If you're gonna dunk, then you'll need more, and you'll have to toss some. It's not expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm the same way - a habitual conserver. I save twist ties, for pete's sake. So I get it. But it's not expensive, so ... *shrug*

But the easiest way to measure for 1-2 plants at a time is to put as much water as you'll need in a pail and then add the right amount of drench and Tea. I mix those into solo cups with water. I'll end up running 8 plants with three different drenches, so I'll put 3 measures into one cup, 2 measures into a different cup, and maybe 2 measures in a third (the others might just be straight water or 1/4 Trans). The Tea goes into a separate cup. Then I fill a pail with enough water, pour the appropriate solo cup in there and drench the first plants, then do the second batch, third batch etc, and I got into the habit of doing Tea all at once - simpler that way - just use 16oz of water for each plant that will get it, mix in the Tea, and pour a cupful into each pot.

Two measures - how much water and how much drench (and Tea).

:Namaste:

[Edit] Forgot - it hasn't been mentioned in awhile, but you can't get the measure "wrong". It's not close to being an exact thing. The only trouble is if you're off by like 10x. :cheesygrinsmiley: Consistently, for several times. Plops usually work just as well. That's annoying but true. Leaf damage comes from screwy soil chemistry, not because of an "overdose" - it'd be more like a misdose. Foliars are another matter - you can overdose those.

Dunno, written words can be tricky. :cheesygrinsmiley: I was jus' explainin' for everyone ...

It's not like drenches are expensive, either. This measuring subject comes up a lot, so we keep trying to find new ways to say it. If we want to soak/dunk, we need more fluid - need something for the last couple plants to sit in and soak up. So that means more water, and if we want to keep the drench/water ratio right, that means more drench, too ... so that ends up being more drench per soil gallon ... it can be confusing, but it doesn't need to.

Hence my post. Use as much water as you want. :cheesygrinsmiley: The pot will only soak up so much, anyway. If you're gonna dunk, then you'll need more, and you'll have to toss some. It's not expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm the same way - a habitual conserver. I save twist ties, for pete's sake. So I get it. But it's not expensive, so ... *shrug*

But the easiest way to measure for 1-2 plants at a time is to put as much water as you'll need in a pail and then add the right amount of drench and Tea. I mix those into solo cups with water. I'll end up running 8 plants with three different drenches, so I'll put 3 measures into one cup, 2 measures into a different cup, and maybe 2 measures in a third (the others might just be straight water or 1/4 Trans). The Tea goes into a separate cup. Then I fill a pail with enough water, pour the appropriate solo cup in there and drench the first plants, then do the second batch, third batch etc, and I got into the habit of doing Tea all at once - simpler that way - just use 16oz of water for each plant that will get it, mix in the Tea, and pour a cupful into each pot.

Two measures - how much water and how much drench (and Tea).

:Namaste:

[Edit] Forgot - it hasn't been mentioned in awhile, but you can't get the measure "wrong". It's not close to being an exact thing. The only trouble is if you're off by like 10x. :cheesygrinsmiley: Consistently, for several times. Plops usually work just as well. That's annoying but true. Leaf damage comes from screwy soil chemistry, not because of an "overdose" - it'd be more like a misdose. Foliars are another matter - you can overdose those.

I understand they aren't expensive, though thats a relative term, I'm just a bit ocd about waste. Just cause its reasonably priced doesn't mean we should be wasteful. Thats already a big problem in this world.

Thank you for the run down on your method, I like the way you do that. And i'm happy it works for you. Also, I am not confused by the drench to water ratio when being dunked, I merely misread, I know huge mistake, What doc had posted and drove myself nuts as a result while looking like a total idiot. Like I said, I pretty well have the main process down, I just confused myself when I misread. I was also trying to get Doc to tell me if I am using the proper amount of products, even though i'm pretty sure I am for the method I am using, plus simple enough when written like: "this much per gallon of soil" it's kinda hard to screw up.... Plus like you said, its hard to overdose on drenches, which I remember Doc writing about, and thats pretty cool. If I were doing the proper dunk style, I would of course use double the drench. Thank you and everyone else for their kindness and understanding. I really am not trying to be difficult though I may come across that way.

Re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

First off dajerm, thank you for asking your initial question. Your questions that followed got some good explanations from Doc, even though you misunderstood the oz->ml, but that got worked out.

Last year when I started on Docs gear I too would water the way you did, conserving every little bit I could to stretch it as far as I could. When I saw Docs IG videos on dunking, it hit me, dunking does far more than water and feed the soil. It purges the stale air from the roots when you submerge, and you can see it happen...must be completely dry or you won’t see it...pour 8-12oz of drench on top and dunk before the drench on top has seeped in...you will see air percolating from the soil...bubbles. Then when you pull the plant out to drain, it sucks fresh O2 into the root zone from the top of the soil. It makes a little difference in the health of the plant, and all these little things can add up.

You do have waste, no doubt, but to me it’s a worthwhile procedure.

If you were to get smaller dunk container that barely fit the 1 gal container width wise you could cut the drench in half, and get the benefit of a dunk, with less waste.

Currently I have 14 small plants in 1g pots. Tonight I mixed up 3oz GE -> 5-6ml tea -> 5 gallons of 75*f filtered water. I split into two buckets and start dunking. Each bucket has exactly what Doc has in his. Two buckets just goes quicker.

Thanks DL! I get ya, I understand how it works and why Doc prefers that method. Remember I am lawn guy... I know more about plants than anything else, So I understand the why. I just hate to waste anything, seems thats the way of the throw away world. paper and styrofoam stuffs used once and thrown away... so sad. I also understand dunking could make my plants even better, but tbh they already look really good, so I am happy. If I really wanna try and up my game more later on I will use the dunk method, but pretty happy for now with no waste. Again, not trying to be difficult. Hope you have a great day DL, thank you for your input! Its always appreciated.

I've been using the "plop" method of measuring for a long time. I think in my first couple runs I was on the low end of drench concentration. Everything worked out ok, but once I increased slightly and the plants were on point I've been MUCH less anxious about getting it "right". A cap of tea and a plop of GE or Trans (whichever they're due for), mix it up and water it in. I'm usually running 5 or 6 plants, but even when I have an extra (or two) in there, the same relative amounts still work well.

Thanks DL! I get ya, I understand how it works and why Doc prefers that method. Remember I am lawn guy... I know more about plants than anything else, So I understand the why. I just hate to waste anything, seems thats the way of the throw away world. paper and styrofoam stuffs used once and thrown away... so sad. I also understand dunking could make my plants even better, but tbh they already look really good, so I am happy. If I really wanna try and up my game more later on I will use the dunk method, but pretty happy for now with no waste. Again, not trying to be difficult. Hope you have a great day DL, thank you for your input! Its always appreciated.

Hi dajerm

I see your dilemma, if you strive to have no waste, then dunking will not work. If your results are satisfactory, then you know how the sayin goes..."if it ain't broke...don't fix it"

Have a great day Dajerm!

Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Thought I'd post a few pics of my two ladies... they are growing wall to wall in my tent so it's hard to get good pics.. and my lighting is terrible. But here ya go... starting to get some sheen to the leaves.
420-magazine-mobile772114019.jpg
420-magazine-mobile702023932.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1031605201.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1503052758.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1915596534.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1121120047.jpg

Those are both Wonder Woman, switched to flower 13 days ago... last night was Water with 1/4 transplant. Next will be TP drench probably around day 20 of flower or so but possibly sooner. Then the next, If buds are set, will be Cat drench...

My question there is, should I try and make sure they have just water with Tp before the cat? Cause that would end up being 3 straight drenches In a row: Tp Cat Cat... or is this ok in this particular situation? Thanks everyone!

Edit: Also think another pruning is in order... those are very bushy plants... way bushier and healthier than I grew in super soil for sure.

See this is what i've been trying to say Doc, I have pretty much been doing my veg plants the same way as a blooming one. In that I only give it as much water as it can hold. My 1 gal can hold about 1qt of water, so I put 1ml drench in that. My 7 gal can hold a bit over a gallon of water, so I give those 7ml drench... all drenches with tea of course. So I guess this whole time, although I haven't been dunking proper like, Maybe I was using the proper amount of product? Thank you so much for your patience Doc, I promise I really am not this stupid in person.

You're not stupid at all. I've never thought that and I'm sure no one else has either. The problem is that there are various theories and ideas about what to do.....most of them work just fine.

But some version of how to use this gear has been floating around that means people are using Transplant in veg. Another has complicated formulas featuring portions of milliliters per quart, etc.

Dunking and top watering aren't the same thing. Instead of thinking in terms of how much your pot can hold, think in terms of complete saturation, followed by drainage<-----this is for veg. In your case, find a tub that fits your pot and fill it such that when submerged the drench/water reached 3/4ths of the way to the top of the pot. If it sucks it all up, add more drench so that it's completely awash.....then tilt it this way and that to drain it.

I'm going to demo this on the Gazoo thread.

If you can dunk in bloom, FANTASTIC! It's not practical for me to do that so I don't. What I'm saying above is for VEG.

Ya'll are going to see how simple and easy this is. I don't even measure things, I just pour right from the bottle.

First off dajerm, thank you for asking your initial question. Your questions that followed got some good explanations from Doc, even though you misunderstood the oz->ml, but that got worked out.

Last year when I started on Docs gear I too would water the way you did, conserving every little bit I could to stretch it as far as I could. When I saw Docs IG videos on dunking, it hit me, dunking does far more than water and feed the soil. It purges the stale air from the roots when you submerge, and you can see it happen...must be completely dry or you won't see it...pour 8-12oz of drench on top and dunk before the drench on top has seeped in...you will see air percolating from the soil...bubbles. Then when you pull the plant out to drain, it sucks fresh O2 into the root zone from the top of the soil. It makes a little difference in the health of the plant, and all these little things can add up.

You do have waste, no doubt, but to me it's a worthwhile procedure.

If you were to get smaller dunk container that barely fit the 1 gal container width wise you could cut the drench in half, and get the benefit of a dunk, with less waste.

Currently I have 14 small plants in 1g pots. Tonight I mixed up 3oz GE -> 5-6ml tea -> 5 gallons of 75*f filtered water. I split into two buckets and start dunking. Each bucket has exactly what Doc has in his. Two buckets just goes quicker.

PERFECT! You understand exactly what I'm talking about!

Some noteworthy observations:

4 plants total
2 OG's and 2 Blue dreams

23 days PF

As previously stated a few pages ago I have been testing for the last couple of months TP drenches and GE drenches in veg. I wanted to see and learn what happens in Bloom, if a plant is given mostly GE in veg, and conversely what happen when a plant is given mostly TP in veg.
In Bloom all four plants have received the same drenches and drinks ( Ge Drench, drink, TP drench, drink, TP drench, and drink so far)

In the photo below the BD's are both up front and the OG's are in the back. The left front BD got mostly TP and the right front BD got mostly GE in veg....see the difference...zoom in and look close. The BD on the right is fading hard compared to the left BD. Same on the OG's except the one on the back left got mostly GE in veg, and the back right got mostly TP..harder to see, but same deal.

420-magazine-mobile42384273.jpg

Now ideally I should be alternating GE/TP in veg, as we all learned last week, but I sometimes need to see things for myself, and share my observations with you.

There is no doubt in my mind, how important TP is in Veg. I can see the difference. I keep reading the same thing over and over from expert growers....all the little things add up, and will show in bloom. However this grow is far from over, so we will see how it progresses...

Yep! This is how I figured it out too....experimenting, observation, etc.

If you want to "save" the fading plants, Rescue Drench pronto. You've arrived at the correct conclusion.

Thanks for that explanation .... I'll have to admit that the 'new' directions lost me in the details . I relied on the old 1 to 2 ozs per 5 gallons of drench method . I'm not sure where it was written - somewhere in the 1000 plus pages of this thread.

Please don't take my short replies the wrong way - intent and perception are often misconstrued .

Peace all

I also prefer the "old" directions, but for some reason everyone got into the ml/quart thing with calculations and spreadsheets and somewhere we forgot to use Transplant and many were underfeeding, etc.

All getting fixed now!

I have been following along for a while lately and I really like Doc's lazy one gallon for bloom watering and drenches. I have taken to it and man I am really enjoying the simplicity. The new direction's 0.5-1.0 mL per gallon of soil is really the cat's pajamas too.

Doc, these roots are around where I would be transplanting and you asked for a picture a while back. Here it is. What are your thoughts on the timing and any other things you see here?

DSC_0001139.JPG

I let mine go to where you can't see dirt....only roots

Can't find a pic....but there are videos of me smacking my roots with a pot really hard and nothing giving.....IG Docbudshighbrix

You're not stupid at all. I've never thought that and I'm sure no one else has either. The problem is that there are various theories and ideas about what to do.....most of them work just fine.

But some version of how to use this gear has been floating around that means people are using Transplant in veg. Another has complicated formulas featuring portions of milliliters per quart, etc.

Dunking and top watering aren't the same thing. Instead of thinking in terms of how much your pot can hold, think in terms of complete saturation, followed by drainage<-----this is for veg. In your case, find a tub that fits your pot and fill it such that when submerged the drench/water reached 3/4ths of the way to the top of the pot. If it sucks it all up, add more drench so that it's completely awash.....then tilt it this way and that to drain it.

I'm going to demo this on the Gazoo thread.

If you can dunk in bloom, FANTASTIC! It's not practical for me to do that so I don't. What I'm saying above is for VEG.

Ya'll are going to see how simple and easy this is. I don't even measure things, I just pour right from the bottle.

Got it Doc, thank you. I'll be looking for such a bucket very soon! But to be clear... I don't too water them in veg... they still wick it up from the bottom only a small portion is poured over the top. But I will find an appropriate bucket for my needs and do as you say. I'm sure there will be some waste still but I'll try and get past that.

Thought I’d post a few pics of my two ladies... they are growing wall to wall in my tent so it’s hard to get good pics.. and my lighting is terrible. But here ya go... starting to get some sheen to the leaves.
420-magazine-mobile772114019.jpg
420-magazine-mobile702023932.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1031605201.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1503052758.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1915596534.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1121120047.jpg

Those are both Wonder Woman, switched to flower 13 days ago... last night was Water with 1/4 transplant. Next will be TP drench probably around day 20 of flower or so but possibly sooner. Then the next, If buds are set, will be Cat drench...

My question there is, should I try and make sure they have just water with Tp before the cat? Cause that would end up being 3 straight drenches In a row: Tp Cat Cat... or is this ok in this particular situation? Thanks everyone!

Edit: Also think another pruning is in order... those are very bushy plants... way bushier and healthier than I grew in super soil for sure.

Ah...there they are.

I'd say a nice watering before the Cat is in order.

Do you perhaps have a light leak, or do you often leave the tent open when it should be dark? I ask because it appears you have some photoperiod stress. they'll probably be fine....just a fine detail.

do your veg and bloom lights come on at the same time?

Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Ah...there they are.

I'd say a nice watering before the Cat is in order.

Do you perhaps have a light leak, or do you often leave the tent open when it should be dark? I ask because it appears you have some photoperiod stress. they'll probably be fine....just a fine detail.

do your veg and bloom lights come on at the same time?

Yes, my veg cabinet comes On the same time as the flower tent... they are close together... and some light does leak from the cabinet but I leave the tent closed up, only open when checking them and only while lights are on. I will get that checked to make sure...
when I put them in the tent, while still in veg, when the lights went off I went in And pokes my head into the tent... let my eyes adjust for a minute or so... I could not see anything... at all totally dark. Could you tell me what you see? What does the photoperiod issue look like? Incase this helps... I was doing 11/13 the first week of flower... bit that didn't leave enough time for me to check them when I get home so I changed it to 12/12... hope I don't mess up there.

Lastly, I just watered yesterday with 1/4 TP... next up will be TP drench then it may be time for Cat drench... if buds are set of course. And Cat earlier if they set sooner.

Edit: forgot to mention the pics were taken before I watered them... Incase that matters...

Back
Top Bottom