Medical Grow

The first run will be FFOF, with added perlite, OC+ and:

Gypsum, epsom salt, borax 80-4-1
and the micronutes.

The next run will likely be:

Roots organic top half of pot
Custom organic soil blend lower half
Perlite, OC+.

I don't mind mixing up a big batch of soil 3 times a year. But I really don't want to do it all the time!

As far as watering goes, i'll hand water with a wand mostly, but depending on how things go, I may rig up a PVC rail with feeder hoses to each pot, and use a pump and reservoir.

I'll also be adding a wick to the bottom of each pot, in order to reduce the PWC. Hopefully, I'll be able to water every other day.

However, I find that hand watering helps get me in touch with the garden....I can spot problems faster, etc.

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the advice.

You guys were talking (back in the Unlucky grow) about a product called Green Sand. Is this the product you all were referring to? If not, can you point me in the right direction. Someone mentioned using this instead of mixing up your micro-nutes. Is this correct?

Amazon: Down To Earth All Natural Greensand 0-0-3 Soil Conditioner - 7 lb

1667448293112.png

Also, you were talking about Sunshine Mix #4 instead of Fox Farms. Would you add anything to that, or leave it as is. Do you think adding a little perlite to it would be beneficial? Would you add your micro-nutes?

Sorry if this is a little off topic. I'm new to gardening and I would like to be as informed as possible.

Thanks in advance.

^^^thats the stuff!

I would suggest adding perlite to any mix for first time growers.

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the advice.

You guys were talking (back in the Unlucky grow) about a product called Green Sand. Is this the product you all were referring to? If not, can you point me in the right direction. Someone mentioned using this instead of mixing up your micro-nutes. Is this correct?

Amazon: Down To Earth All Natural Greensand 0-0-3 Soil Conditioner - 7 lb

Also, you were talking about Sunshine Mix #4 instead of Fox Farms. Would you add anything to that, or leave it as is. Do you think adding a little perlite to it would be beneficial? Would you add your micro-nutes?

Sorry if this is a little off topic. I'm new to gardening and I would like to be as informed as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Green Sand seems to be a great source of micros. I've not used it....I don't know anyone who does, but the label is my bueno!

I use another source, I have Mittleider micronutes. They are more soluble than green sand...but over time you'll get the same results.

I don't think I'll use Sunshine mix....although there's nothing wrong with it. I wanted a peat based soil, which Sunshine mix is.....but I think that Roots Organic is a better choice. I'll definitely try that first!

And yes, adding perlite is a GREAT idea. Our favorites love the good drainage, and we all tend to smother our babies in love and affection....perlite will help alleviate overwatering and will make flushing easier if you go with a WSF fertilizer.

^^^thats the stuff!

I would suggest adding perlite to any mix for first time growers.

Yup! That's some good advice, bro!

Here's some pics from the new room. We're almost done!
IMG_10393.JPG

IMG_10405.JPG

Environmental controls are the last thing that need to be set up....it would take me 15 minutes, but my partner, the engineer will run the wires in a lovely geometric pattern, anchoring them with wire-ties every 8 inches. I'll take pics of the wire runs when it's all done.

I ran the lights last night for 2 hours....hottest day of the year. Max temps 86 degrees.

I came back and ran them today for an hour....canopy level max temps 82 degrees. When things cool off I'm going to be in the high '70s....perfect!

Hopefully, I have something green and growing in under 2 weeks.

Green Sand seems to be a great source of micros. I've not used it....I don't know anyone who does, but the label is my bueno!

I use Jersey Greensand in my soil mix. However, I may cut it out completely because it takes Greensand a long time to break down and be available and you can use Kelp Meal instead. Greensand is probably better suited for those growers that recycle their soil - jmho though.

Hey, Doc. Started reading journals here about a month ago. Found you chiming in on one of SS's journals and had to see how you do your thing. Glad I did. Your attention to detail, thorough research and generosity in sharing your knowledge in depth is of utmost value. Loved your last grow. Following in your footsteps.

Have you ever looked at Azomite? Just wondering what you guys thought of it as a source of micro's?

:tokin:....:peace:

I haven't looked at it, but if it's a source of micros it's probably fine.

I decided to use a product that I've seen in action....like I said, my grow partner's vegetable garden is ridiculous....and he's growing in crap soil. In fact, the system he's using is designed to work in ANY soil....even pure sand.

The vegetables taste great! I think the addition of some organics are only going to improve things.

I don't know if I'll hit it on the first couple tries...but my goal is to have something really special...memorable...what I call "reputation building" product.

Hey Doc - When you say
"I'll also be adding a wick to the bottom of each pot, in order to reduce the PWC. Hopefully, I'll be able to water every other day."
I'm embarrassed to say 'what's PWC?'

Hey Doc - When you say
"I'll also be adding a wick to the bottom of each pot, in order to reduce the PWC. Hopefully, I'll be able to water every other day."
I'm embarrassed to say 'what's PWC?'

Hey bro!
Don't be embarrassed....I had no idea what a Perched Water Table was a few months ago.

In a nutshell, every medium with particles smaller than 1/4 inch diameter has a Perched Water Table, which is another way of saying that the medium retains water....up to a certain height. This is due to the wicking action of the medium.

A bucket of glass marbles has no PWC, but a bucket of dirt has a large PWC...perlite less than dirt.....something like fine silt has a gigantic PWC.

It's always the same height in the same medium.

Practically, this means to bottom of the pot retains water....perhaps enough water to kill or stunt young roots, certainly enough water to keep the roots from growing into the PWC.

Adding a wick that protrudes from the bottom of the container drains the PWC, essentially making the pots larger, and creating a more favorable zone for roots.

Doc - got it, and thanks.
Taking any new patients? I'm in RI so it might be a strain to travel 3,000+ miles, but I love your bedside manner (ease-up there, cowboy; I'm into chicks!).
With High Hopes,
As Always,
IAm

Hey Munki!
Sadly, the fuzzy logic only works for CO2 tanks....and I have a burner set up. But....using the deadband feature, I should be able to get the Co2 up to spec without too much trouble.

What I'm so excited about is that this controller allows you to link or de-link functions AND have separate day and night settings.

For example: I can link up the Co2 to shut off if the exhaust fan turns on....or I can keep it going.

I can set the fans to come on if the temp gets to say....84 during the lights-on period....but I can also set them to run continuously until the temp reaches 65 during the dark cycle. Same with AC, etc.

I can set the controller to run a de-humidifier OR a humidifier...depending on what is needed. In my case, since my room is now on the coast, i'll mostly be triggering the dehumidifier. But at my other grow room, we have trouble with dry, arid conditions, and the controller could be used to run a humidifier.

The best part about it is that the cost of this all-in-one unit is only a couple bucks more than an analog controller with a seperate PPM3 monitor....like I have at the "old" grow room.

The controller also records high/low in temp and humidity.

Hey Munki!
Sadly, the fuzzy logic only works for CO2 tanks....and I have a burner set up. But....using the deadband feature, I should be able to get the Co2 up to spec without too much trouble.

What I'm so excited about is that this controller allows you to link or de-link functions AND have separate day and night settings.

For example: I can link up the Co2 to shut off if the exhaust fan turns on....or I can keep it going.

I can set the fans to come on if the temp gets to say....84 during the lights-on period....but I can also set them to run continuously until the temp reaches 65 during the dark cycle. Same with AC, etc.

I can set the controller to run a de-humidifier OR a humidifier...depending on what is needed. In my case, since my room is now on the coast, i'll mostly be triggering the dehumidifier. But at my other grow room, we have trouble with dry, arid conditions, and the controller could be used to run a humidifier.

The best part about it is that the cost of this all-in-one unit is only a couple bucks more than an analog controller with a seperate PPM3 monitor....like I have at the "old" grow room.

The controller also records high/low in temp and humidity.

That's what I'm talkin' about! :tommy:

Now if it would dump the data to a SD memory card or had a USB ended cable that hooked it to a PC ... that would be awesome! It could get a history of sensor and settings data and/or graph it out.

Or how about a unit with wifi or a 3G connection that allowed for remote monitoring ... maybe an app for smartphones to watch it in real time ... sorry, that's what happens when I :smokin:

That's what I'm talkin' about! :tommy:

Now if it would dump the data to a SD memory card or had a USB ended cable that hooked it to a PC ... that would be awesome! It could get a history of sensor and settings data and/or graph it out.

Or how about a unit with wifi or a 3G connection that allowed for remote monitoring ... maybe an app for smartphones to watch it in real time ... sorry, that's what happens when I :smokin:

Oh....there's a serial port too. I haven't plugged it in yet....not sure what it does. I'll get back to you on that!

remote monitoring ... maybe an app for smartphones to watch it in real time

Growtronix?

Back
Top Bottom