DV8 Reg Photo Grow For Science

Up pot done on Runtzy, so we are 7 for 7. Root structure looked good. Cant decide on final size pots though. Hard to see big pots on a late grow, and in this grow I wont be keeping the soil.

Going out for a bit of recon into the forest today, caging up for final destination. Calender says inspection at house due in Feb, best be a boy scout and be prepared. Pity as Feb is usually the hot end of the weather, but once they go they will stay put.

Would be nice to have somewhere closer, but nothing ticks the boxes like the forest. The 02/03 outdoor I had there went the full season from Oct (Spring) till April (End of Autumn) unmolested, and those 4 were big enough you wouldnt miss them at 30 feet away. More wide than tall but I failed to keep them under the scrub canopy at 4feet, the stretch was impressive. Above that line they were as obvious as if they were waving.

This time round for sure some will get driven lower, the risk there is the wildlife that sometimes stop at nothing to get at the plants, must be irresistible.

No chance of stray lights, or quick frost, open enough to catch good wind and breezes when the summer and autumn rains come in, and very little to no passer-by risk. Just have to watch the late rains in late flower, have dragged a tarp out before. Good spots are hard to find.
There is another Strayan doing a bush guerrilla grow. If I see his journal pop up I’ll tag you. Sounds awesome.

There is another Strayan doing a bush guerrilla grow. If I see his journal pop up I’ll tag you. Sounds awesome.
Cheers. Kinda wish I had pics from back in the day mostly for memories, not so much for bragging rights.

I laugh now as it was worth more than gold at the time. Running around on a 2 stroke, brap brap, into the deep scrub when riding wasnt discouraged like it is now. Camping on weekends praying for no rippers, better weather and no budrot, haha, was noone waiting at home for me back then. Good times.

Herbies Seeds bruv.

I just looked at my tracking number and they are here in Queensland!

I bought Barney’s seeds. They are the only seeds I’ve every grown with outside bag seeds, and I’m going to say I’ve had 100% germination, coz the one that didn’t pop was only half a seed. It was obviously defective. I still have plants from my first bought seeds in the Tangerine Dream.

And a funny, I used to get in so much trouble here for swearing. Stick around bloke, they get used to us I promise lollll.

Joke for ya

How do you make a hormone?
Kick her in the cunt
Cheers for the tip. I had read your praise for them before, had hoped for a good result. Could only hope to have the same luck, Ill give them a try next order, mention the same if anyone asks me direct.

Haha Im definitely vibing your sense of whats a good laugh, and sure, Ill stick around.

Have a couple forums I cruise around in (none other Canna related) and mod in one, but most of them have become that family friendly, no swearing, no bullying wokefests. Here seems much more easy going and my kind of peeps.

Its nice to come to place feel welcomed, talk about interesting things and see everyone allowed to express their unique persona(lities).

Cheers for the tip. I had read your praise for them before, had hoped for a good result. Could only hope to have the same luck, Ill give them a try next order, mention the same if anyone asks me direct.

Haha Im definitely vibing your sense of whats a good laugh, and sure, Ill stick around.

Have a couple forums I cruise around in (none other Canna related) and mod in one, but most of them have become that family friendly, no swearing, no bullying wokefests. Here seems much more easy going and my kind of peeps.

Its nice to come to place feel welcomed, talk about interesting things and see everyone allowed to express their unique persona(lities).
I just need to get them to my safe address now. They are days away!

I’m glad. Having another foul mouthed Aussie takes a bit of the heat off me.

This is a great spot. I literally start each day in here.

Ok lets push this along. Damn square wheels.

Fell asleep last night going over the grow, been spending time on a bunch of related side projects then it occured to me maybe I missed something whilst distracted.

So the theory I fell asleep to is that these kids might be further on the hot sunny and light pot end of the spectrum. Love to get all scientific and factual about genetics but dont know that much anyway. Like good growers say though genetics matter, and Im fumbling my way through on unknowns.

Came to this conclusion from observation. Through out the grow every time they get treated in the mid range they seem to just waffle along. When they pray its around day 4 and 5, and they get super grumpy (droopy leaves, downward tips) every time I go to run off. Even in seedling when I did some deep misting on top rather than watering they looked good, and could go 7 or 8 days without looking remotely thirsty.

In hindsight (note to myself here) should have let them go until bound then put in finals, Im sure they would have responded much better.

So Im switching it up, a bit more top watering and foliar until they really are searching. The mopey days arent building shit so tough love it is.

LST kids have responded to my intentions, and although they look behind the bigger 3, are probably ahead of the topped one. They didnt get the hard push from the bottle the other 4 got, so given proper ratios I would conclude some inputs would be certainly beneficial.

I have a feeling in another fortnight or so they will get comfy and come up nice and strong and make a case for the delay being worth while. They got a taste of the bottle today at hopefully much more suitable ratios.

Can only hope some changes get this going in the right direction, cant helicopter them forever.

If Im being honest its really a case of being a bit embarrassing how slow they are. That coupled with the fact I have 5 neighbours Im trying to keep from catching a good look so they only get a pic in the most uninteresting angles and composition.

But Ill put todays up I snapped. Only the bigger 3.
20220116_180126.jpg
20220116_180135.jpg
20220116_180227.jpg

Look at the mopey one in the middle aka Moony. Thats in the middle of the day, not sleepy and not just watered, just mope. Oddy on the bottom in its tent, pot too big to sit in containers.

Pic Album first.

Moony. Spent the night getting some extra rays, definitely the right strategy.
20220117_175316.jpg

Oddy, LST, and the runt at rear
20220117_175342.jpg

3rd nute/outdoor kid

20220117_175402.jpg

Topped 1.

20220117_175411.jpg

Last LST

20220117_175420.jpg

Ok so Moony, the runt and the last LST all spent time under lights to push them at 20/4 for the day period.

They all showed it was worthwhile, got lucky with 26C dropping to 23 temp overnight and good (55 to 65) RH values. Kinda makes me want to tent them and see if they can thrive.

All final pots except Oddy are 200s. Oddy is in an odd size pot but would be a 250 equivalent.

Weather looks plum for a few days if not a little warm which is fine. Push them to draw from the bottom of the pot with some luck. Might drill them 1 by 1, cant hurt.

Been on the push with The Kids, and by my eyes its paying off.

The thing I love about growing is in watching them respond. I dont really care about yields trying to get perfect grows, hell I barely even use the end products, just watching them go ahead makes my (hippie) heart full.

Kept up with the foliars, and feeds in the morning, added lights to push the cycle to 18/6, a couple of days makes a difference.

3 or 4 are really getting their groove on, and Moony is the star of the show. The ones falling behind are around 5/6th node, the others starting 7/8th, but I have faith.

LST leader pushing up 6 equal mains, including top, lost one on the 2nd node through fumbling in the dawn light. Looks solid, a few more days and Ill start tie downs when they look like they can handle it. Will be interesting at the end of grow to compare with Moony etc. Overall ahead of the topped one, which Im sure J will take on board, loves the blade.

Ive always been a fan of ties for outdoors vs the blade, not only do I think the finish stronger the frame (stem and branches) seem to fatten more uniform imo through the twisting and bending, and is the natural response to the latent forces exerted in physical restrain.

I bend all my girls to one degree or another, always have.

Feed Moony last night, and still had the mope this morning.

Every one has had a re pot or holes drilled, 6mm did bottoms and half inch up side, Im sure this will make a difference.

Weather kinda steady around 31 to 33C, theres a bump coming to land at 35 to 37 before back to high 20s.

Growth is slow, and keep thinking they are going to really go, yet Im greeted by steady gains. Which is weird, they should have everything more or less they need to be strong.

My guess is maybe in the drums the diluted light is not enough, or the coir castings might be holding the good stuff back, or starting so late they move too fast through optimal range. Whatever the case they should be getting hard to handle by now, both in size and thickness.

They have a couple weeks left before they leave the backyard, maybe they can still get into the groove.

Every one has had a re pot or holes drilled, 6mm did bottoms and half inch up side, Im sure this will make a difference.
Hey DV8, I have also drilled out lots of large and small holes in my pots, I had read about the benefit of 'air pots' and how useful it was that the roots could 'air prune' and the holes allow more oxygen to the roots. I can't really say whether it made much difference or not, they do need a bit more watering to make up for moisture loss thru the drilled out holes.

Your plants have a healthy colour to them. They do of course need a certain amount of sunlight on them, mine are in the shade until after midday as much as I'd like to give them all day sun. I do think plants grow more vigorously with soil that they like. My soil started of as a variation of Sub Cool's super soil, then over subsequent grows I have added more and more other ingredients, like dried shrimp which came about from a friend who grew up in Malaysia and saw how a broken sack of dried shrimps caused a bamboo grove to grow massively. Clackamas Coot's uses crab meal in his mix which many folk use. Crab meal or shrimp or insect frass all add Chitin to the soil. I also add diastatic malted barley that I get from a brewing shop, the malted barley provides the soil biology with Chitinase which is the enzyme that breaks down Chitin, which help the plant grow stronger. Anyway, the round about point I am making is in my experience a soil mix that the makes the plant thrive seems to me, to provide the best growth. In my current and previous grows I felt the plants are responding more 'thrivingly' to the soil, compared to some earlier grows where in hindsight I realise that the plants were not super happy in their soil and showed lagged growth. I also have a mulch layer on top that keeps the worms happy and allows the plant's roots to grow right up to the surface and make the most of the soil. For what it's worth!

Thanks mate, I did in fact go through all your grows and the results do speak for themselves.

Over the coming Autumn and Winter I really should put everything together to be ready for outdoors 22/23. Not to make excuses but the lockdowns and then the resultant shipping issues made a huge mess of things, I wasnt even going to bother at first with this grow. Was always going to be sub optimal but possess an unwavering optimistic spirit made me do it.

But you are 100% right, proper preparation is the key here, and Im rusty so whatever the outcome it can only improve going forward.

Really appreciate you taking the time to put the info and thoughts down, big help. This journal was always meant for that purpose, to review and evaluate and collate better info.

Cheers.

Responded to the bottle, definitely an improvement in the last 48, temps peaking during day and overnight probably helping. Air to the root zone wouldnt have hurt.

Moony fighting any training, getting too thick. LST ties pushing the rest around, trying to make the frames sturdy.

Not exactly sure when to push them out the door, they are kind of too little to leave but getting harder to keep under the radar in the yard.

A smart man would send all but Oddy and Moony to final homes and tent those 2 indoors, but having attachment issues haha. Will need to get serious about a decision by weekend.

Back
Top Bottom