Emmie's Breeder's Run #2 - Chocolate Cheese x Blowfish F2 By Santero

Blessings from their breeder is what they needed, and tonight I am pleased to report that now all 5 plants are showing sex. The two boys are now in the flower room learning to be men, and the girls have been sequestered to the veg tent to continue vegging. So, now we know what the next run will look like in bloom.... 3 cc, 1 cd, 1 Knockout reveg, and I think I am going to do a couple of autos in 3 gal smartpots just because I won some great Dutch Passion "Masters at Work" autos, that I really don't want to waste. We will also see how the reveg goes... i might add a couple more autos if it doesn't go well, because these seeds just look incredible, AutoMazar, Auto Durban Poison, Auto Blackberry Kush, Auto Frisian Dew... makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

And then what is going to happen here... 3 CC and one CD. This next run will likely be one of my best.

Nice, Emmie! :welldone:

I've personally have never been into autos (haven't grown one yet!). I grow indoors, like to make mom's and clone anything good, plus always figured that once you throw the ruderalis in the mix, it would lower the THC of whatever it was being crossed with. But, with THC content hitting 20-25%, or more on some of these strains, and seeing what other growers have been doing with autos, I'm getting more and more interested. You've definitely got some great genetics to try! :high-five:

Here is one of our Chocolate Cheeses, so you can see how well they are responding to training. I have also cleaned up underneath a bit now, since 9 clones were just taken from this group of 3. They are getting fed and watered today and will be moving into the big tent into 7 gallon containers as soon as Acapulco Gold is done in there, in the next week or so.

For now we are continuing the training, and other than showing they were a little hungry last time, all is well.

cc_female.JPG

Males are still taking their time, but I will surely be harvesting pollen in the next couple of days.

The females are now all lounging along in the veg tent, with the lights almost raised as high as they will go and on a 12-1 schedule. Severe training is happening across the tent right now, with every leading growth tip being nipped as soon as it rises between two others. We still have maybe as much as a week to go before I can transplant comfortably, and so far the smart pots have allowed for this, not producing any root stress normally encountered at this point if I try to go to long in the medium sized containers. We are still enjoying a 4 or 5 day wet/dry cycle too... or maybe 3 days now... so things are well under control. Here is my prize CC, so far sporting around 24 bud sites... these are going to be big plants.

cc60.JPG

Here is an under the skirts shot so you can see the trunk size already in these 2 gallon pots.
cc_trunk_size.JPG

Looking good over there.
When your males pop how are you collecting and storing the pollen ?

I typically collect pollen using a clean mirror or a picture frame and a paint brush. Using an inch and a half wide paintbrush allows me to brush the pollen off of leaves, and with careful shaking, a good pile can be produced. All of this is done with all fans off and with extreme care to minimize making much of this stuff go airborne. The timing is also important, since the only flowering plants are nearly done and any little bit of pollen that might get in the airstream isnt going to do any damage.

After I have a pile of pollen I add to it, 30-50% of its volume of white flour, diluting the pollen a bit and making it easier to manage without blowing away. This is then stored in a pill bottle with a desiccant pack, in the fridge, until it is needed in a few weeks.

I have never had a problem with the pollen not being viable, at least in the short term. I still have pill bottles from years ago, from a white widow run, and several others... and some day I am going to try them out to see if they still pack any viability after all of this time. I have heard though, that properly stored, pollen can last a long long time.

I typically collect pollen using a clean mirror or a picture frame and a paint brush. Using an inch and a half wide paintbrush allows me to brush the pollen off of leaves, and with careful shaking, a good pile can be produced. All of this is done with all fans off and with extreme care to minimize making much of this stuff go airborne. The timing is also important, since the only flowering plants are nearly done and any little bit of pollen that might get in the airstream isnt going to do any damage.

After I have a pile of pollen I add to it, 30-50% of its volume of white flour, diluting the pollen a bit and making it easier to manage without blowing away. This is then stored in a pill bottle with a desiccant pack, in the fridge, until it is needed in a few weeks.

I have never had a problem with the pollen not being viable, at least in the short term. I still have pill bottles from years ago, from a white widow run, and several others... and some day I am going to try them out to see if they still pack any viability after all of this time. I have heard though, that properly stored, pollen can last a long long time.

Emilya,
Thank you for the the detailed answer!

I have been thinking about and planning some breeding in the future. Pollen collection and Storage was my next topic of research.
I would have never thought of using flour.

I pollinate right at budset, or approximately 10 days into flower. Too much later and you will have to wait for those seeds to mature while the plants around them have already finished out.

These are pics of the girl in question. This is a Jack Herrer Auto that, I believe, is a line with a genetic predisposition the turn Hermie. The parent hermied and produced 2 seeds. The first hermied, and if this is a hermie, it will be the parent an both seeds. This time I was hoping to pollinate a Buddha Haze using "the fan did it" method :) Timing did not work out. The Buddha haze is ready to chop. If these develop, what would be the best way to save them? I read one of your posts where you mixed them with flower for long term storage, I would like to be able to save it for about 6 weeks. Since the second hermie, I have been reading much about breeding and genetics. I have no practical application.

IMG_014448.JPG
IMG_014347.JPG

These are pics of the girl in question. This is a Jack Herrer Auto that, I believe, is a line with a genetic predisposition the turn Hermie. The parent hermied and produced 2 seeds. The first hermied, and if this is a hermie, it will be the parent an both seeds. This time I was hoping to pollinate a Buddha Haze using "the fan did it" method :) Timing did not work out. The Buddha haze is ready to chop. If these develop, what would be the best way to save them? I read one of your posts where you mixed them with flower for long term storage, I would like to be able to save it for about 6 weeks. Since the second hermie, I have been reading much about breeding and genetics. I have no practical application.

Hi Schtiggy, you are certainly presenting lots of male parts on that one. I would definitely take advantage of him! I have had pollen stay viable 6 months and longer after collecting it by carefully storing it mixed with flour, putting it in a pill bottle with a discant pack or a few grains of rice to collect any moisture that might get in there, and then storing it in the fridge. The pill bottle also makes it easy to use a small watercolor paintbrush to "paint" the pollen on and into the buds on the branch that I want to pollinate. I have recently learned to lightly twist tie a plastic baggie over that pollinated bud for a few days while it takes, so that the fan doesn't "do it" to the other parts of the room. After I see the pistils pulling back and showing that she has been pollinated, I attack the baggie and the bud with my spray bottle so that the water will deactivate any remaining pollen. I have had some good luck lately making seeds exactly and only on the branches that I want them on, using this method.

Hi Schtiggy, you are certainly presenting lots of male parts on that one. I would definitely take advantage of him! I have had pollen stay viable 6 months and longer after collecting it by carefully storing it mixed with flour, putting it in a pill bottle with a discant pack or a few grains of rice to collect any moisture that might get in there, and then storing it in the fridge. The pill bottle also makes it easy to use a small watercolor paintbrush to "paint" the pollen on and into the buds on the branch that I want to pollinate. I have recently learned to lightly twist tie a plastic baggie over that pollinated bud for a few days while it takes, so that the fan doesn't "do it" to the other parts of the room. After I see the pistils pulling back and showing that she has been pollinated, I attack the baggie and the bud with my spray bottle so that the water will deactivate any remaining pollen. I have had some good luck lately making seeds exactly and only on the branches that I want them on, using this method.

Thank you so much!! I haven't been this excited about growing since I started. When should I collect these? Are they ready to go now, or do they need time? I will have to go back and study your thread on storing :) :) :)

Thank you so much!! I haven't been this excited about growing since I started. When should I collect these? Are they ready to go now, or do they need time? I will have to go back and study your thread on storing :) :) :)

Those little pods are going to all explode open to reveal a tiny little male flower, and when it explodes open, it expels a good amount of pollen. It is about to get messy in there. I move them to a separate area at this point and when they start popping I take a tupperware dish in to shake the buds into it every day or so for a few days, or until I have collected a gram or two of yellow pollen powder.

Here is hoping you are not allergic!

Those little pods are going to all explode open to reveal a tiny little male flower, and when it explodes open, it expels a good amount of pollen. It is about to get messy in there. I move them to a separate area at this point and when they start popping I take a tupperware dish in to shake the buds into it every day or so for a few days, or until I have collected a gram or two of yellow pollen powder.

Here is hoping you are not allergic!

This is why I thought of you first :) I am getting ready to move her out to my vegging area. I will follow these instructions.

I am reading through your "working with Pollen" again. At one time I worked as a scrub tech (O.R. tech, passing instruments). Your thread brings this to mind. :)

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom