Fanleaf Tries For A TLO, True Living Organics, Grow With 6 Plants

I think they're going to do just fine in that fresh soil, with room to spread out their roots.
Gosh I sure hope so. This has been pretty pitiful to this point but the thing is, if this does fix them, I will have a very good idea of what to do from the start of a new grow to eliminate this from happening again.
One big thing is I think I should have cut the soil with a bit more pumice/perlite and some more castings in the first pots.

As long as about a third of your soil mix is aeration, it should be just fine. Look up living organic soil- Clackamas Coot-style from some building a soil type place, ya know.
Good luck.
The reason why I say more perlite and castings when they were babies is just for cutting the soil strength a bit as seedlings. I think I'm about 1/3rd or better already for aeration, I think I just needed to tame it down a tad. We will see. If they aren't happy now, I'll keep guessing :rofl:

Hello All
It's been quite a while since I have done a grow Journal here and since I'm trying something totally new to me and I'm really excited about this grow, I figure now is the time.

This grow will be a 100% true living organic grow. I will be abiding by strict organic rules for the entire grow and we'll use absolutely nothing synthetic. This will be a first for me as I have never even completed any type of organic grow let alone a grow that abides by such strict rules. There will be no chelated synthetic stuff here. Actually we will never be directly feeding the plants at all! Instead we will be focused on nothing but feeding the microlife all that they need so they can in turn feed the plants.

I will be as absolutely detailed as possible with everything I am doing and every ingredient that I use. For this grow will probably be much more different than most organic grows that you see because in the pots we will be using fertilizer layers and homemade organic fertilizer spikes in the soil for the micro beasties to feed on as well.

I am actually deciding on the strains that will be grown as I write this first post so that will be coming up within the next hour as I update the thread with very detailed pictures of the soil that has been built and cooked as well as the strains.

I will be growing six plants in this style on this grow and we will start the sprouts in a 2'X2' tent under one of my small Cree cob LED arrays. The LED array in the 2-foot by 2-foot tent is made with 5 Cree cxb3590 chips with four of them in 3500 k and one of them in 5000k. This panel is adjustable from 0 to 280 Watts.

once the seedlings need a little more space they will go in a bigger grow room under my 25 Cree cob LED array that is adjustable from 10 watts through 2000 Watts.

we will only be using reverse osmosis water. During the grow if I am able to collect some good rain water we may mix some of that in just for the living microlife that can be in the rain water.

I plan to veg the plants for around 8 weeks before going to flower but that will also depend on size.

That is the end of this first post for this thread. Now I am going to select what strains we are going to go with and within the next hour I will post those details along with detailed pictures of the soil information and build.
Next post and pictures are coming right up!
Hi fanleaf, wow i'm glad to see you're growing in the rev's mix. I just mixed up 32 gallons of his 2.2 recipe and it's cooking now. Thanks for the journal, I'll be looking through it for a while. I haven't gone past the first post...how's it going?

Hi fanleaf, wow i'm glad to see you're growing in the rev's mix. I just mixed up 32 gallons of his 2.2 recipe and it's cooking now. Thanks for the journal, I'll be looking through it for a while. I haven't gone past the first post...how's it going?
It' going....well,,,it's going. It's a learning process for sure. once you get caught up to this point in the journal I think it will be helpful for starting a TLO grow for sure. Don't underestimate the power contained in this soil would be my best advice so far.

It' going....well,,,it's going. It's a learning process for sure. once you get caught up to this point in the journal I think it will be helpful for starting a TLO grow for sure. Don't underestimate the power contained in this soil would be my best advice so far.
Haha, I'm encouraged. Thanks. I've used store bought for some time but It's likely not as latently powerful as the revs recipe. Not phing water is going to be so so much better for me too. Later.

Haha, I'm encouraged. Thanks. I've used store bought for some time but It's likely not as latently powerful as the revs recipe. Not phing water is going to be so so much better for me too. Later.
It's very cool to watch the soil pH as well. I bought the exact meter that Rev uses and shows in the book. When I first mixed up the soil it was a 4.9 pH! Roughly a week later it was like 5.2, a week later 5.5 and after 3 weeks is was about 5.9-6.0. Now, after cooking fully it has stayed a constant 6.6 or so.

It's very cool to watch the soil pH as well. I bought the exact meter that Rev uses and shows in the book. When I first mixed up the soil it was a 4.9 pH! Roughly a week later it was like 5.2, a week later 5.5 and after 3 weeks is was about 5.9-6.0. Now, after cooking fully it has stayed a constant 6.6 or so.
NIce. I'm expecting the same from the zon soon. Hang in brother, this will resolve.

I use rain water and it's more important now to have low/no ppm water on hand. Been looking at RO rigs and my head is spinning. They all look the same to me as long as it's a tabletop portable unit. Do you use any ro and what model/brand machine do you use?
I do. I use a RO + DI kit with a 150GPD main membrane. The first kit that I started using several years ago was a little bit smaller, somewhere around 80 gallon per day then the second kit that I upgraded to was a 100 gallon per day unit. I now spent a few extra dollars and am on my third system that is 150 gallon per day with the deionizing filter as a final stage. I am very happy with this size and I can keep plenty of water on hand. I have a 25 gallon Blue Water drum that I keep full and aerating at all times. If I were to recommend anything it would be any a 4 - 5 stage RODI kit. There's a company called aqua gen that makes good kits and they are easily found and have really good prices online. I don't want to say the name of the website but it's that very very worldwide famous auction site.

I do. I use a RO + DI kit with a 150GPD main membrane. The first kit that I started using several years ago was a little bit smaller, somewhere around 80 gallon per day then the second kit that I upgraded to was a 100 gallon per day unit. I now spent a few extra dollars and am on my third system that is 150 gallon per day with the deionizing filter as a final stage. I am very happy with this size and I can keep plenty of water on hand. I have a 25 gallon Blue Water drum that I keep full and aerating at all times. If I were to recommend anything it would be any a 4 - 5 stage RODI kit. There's a company called aqua gen that makes good kits and they are easily found and have really good prices online. I don't want to say the name of the website but it's that very very worldwide famous auction site.
Wow, that's what I'm looking for. It's difficult finding things I know little about. Thanks.

Ive seen peopl get pretty goodresults using "filtered water." There are small units for RV's/campers and such. Theres also a smaller one called "bu's blue" that you can just screw on to the end of any standard water hose. Depends on your pregerence, quick n' cheap, or something a little more permanent and long term, but it'll cost ya some extra frogskins!
:thumb:

Ive seen peopl get pretty goodresults using "filtered water." There are small units for RV's/campers and such. Theres also a smaller one called "bu's blue" that you can just screw on to the end of any standard water hose. Depends on your pregerence, quick n' cheap, or something a little more permanent and long term, but it'll cost ya some extra frogskins!
For TLO it's all about not having any unknowns. Even 40ppm water can have adverse affects. It's all about keeping a perfect balance of each mineral. For instance if you use spring water with an unknown ppm of something, it can throw the balance off in the long run. RO or distilled are the only real guaranteed ways to go. Rainwater also works well per the book. Not saying filtered wont work but I sure wouldn't run my first TLO cycle with it. For instance, if I had the problems that I am having with the plants now I would probably be trying to blame my filtered water. Since I'm using reverse osmosis water I know that that is not the issue I am having. I would say once someone gets growing in the TLO style down, then perhaps try a different water supply.

Good thought. My well has between 350 and 400 ppm so I need something beefy I think to get the ppm down low.

For TLO it's all about not having any unknowns. Even 40ppm water can have adverse affects. It's all about keeping a perfect balance of each mineral. For instance if you use spring water with an unknown ppm of something, it can throw the balance off in the long run. RO or distilled are the only real guaranteed ways to go. Rainwater also works well per the book. Not saying filtered wont work but I sure wouldn't run my first TLO cycle with it. For instance, if I had the problems that I am having with the plants now I would probably be trying to blame my filtered water. Since I'm using reverse osmosis water I know that that is not the issue I am having. I would say once someone gets growing in the TLO style down, then perhaps try a different water supply.
What about a 6 stage ro system with remineralisation included resulting in 38-40ppm ?

Good thought. My well has between 350 and 400 ppm so I need something beefy I think to get the ppm down low.
A standard RO unit should do. My dang city water is like 275 ppm and after RO is 0 ppm. you would probably just need to change the first and second stage carbon filters a little you would probably just need to change the first and second stage carbon filters a little bit more often.

Back
Top Bottom