Fanleaf Tries To Germ & Grow A Stash Of 42 Year Old Acapulco Gold Seeds!

Smoked my first "reefer" in 1975 and grew my first Colombian redbud in 1977, you dont know how bad i want to see this work out for you!

Keep em frosty ya'll

Yes most definitely yes.
Something I have wanted to do.
If I can repair some bridges this year and get back to my childhood home. I have a lock box with a 35mm film canister that I bet has some seeds in it. Mid 80s vintage. And I do remember the lock code.

I am so happy for you. Sounds like a Grate adventure.

Cheers and :goodluck:

Lots of folks checking into this one lol. We will get started with pictures tomorrow. Get a few seeds wet!!! FINALLY!!

OK, so I'd like to know "how" you got them wet? Did you treat or scratch them first, dunk in a cup, wet paper towel, or..???

Curious minds want to know. :scratchinghead:

OK, so I'd like to know "how" you got them wet? Did you treat or scratch them first, dunk in a cup, wet paper towel, or..???

Curious minds want to know. :scratchinghead:

Well I haven't yet. That part comes tomorrow. For the first few I'm going to try nothing more then my standard wet paper towel in a dark warmed place. I've never tried seeds over a few years old but that has given me nearly a 100% success rate so far. If we dont see a crack in a day or 2 I may add a bit of H2O2 to the mix. If that don't work we will have to rough up a few hulls.

Yes most definitely yes.
Something I have wanted to do.
If I can repair some bridges this year and get back to my childhood home. I have a lock box with a 35mm film canister that I bet has some seeds in it. Mid 80s vintage. And I do remember the lock code.

I am so happy for you. Sounds like a Grate adventure.

Cheers and :goodluck:

Heck, even if you didn't remember the code I bet the seeds are worth more than the box?:thumb:

Well I haven't yet. That part comes tomorrow. For the first few I'm going to try nothing more then my standard wet paper towel in a dark warmed place. I've never tried seeds over a few years old but that has given me nearly a 100% success rate so far. If we dont see a crack in a day or 2 I may add a bit of H2O2 to the mix. If that don't work we will have to rough up a few hulls.
If you can get them to grow and breed them together would you,send some seeds out? Just wondering because I would love to have a land race

Sent from my SM-G935T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If you can get them to grow and breed them together would you,send some seeds out? Just wondering because I would love to have a land race

Yes, I have no problem sharing

Could I message you my email so I can get in touch with you there so it you do share some i might be able to get some?

I would rather let's see if we get some to pop and when we get close to that point we can IM to get it done. That way I can take care of several at a time :)

So keeping this strain alive are you going with regular seeds or trying for feminized?
Im interested on experimenting with this myself...
Which way do you plan to go and why?
That depends on how many and what sprouts. If a female sprouts right off the bat I will be reversing her sex only on one branch and making some fem seeds. If I get a male I will definitely either harvest pollen for the first female or pollinate a growing female if we are so lucky to get both sexes right off the bat.
If we get two to sprout and one is a male and 1 is a female I will marker off branches and control pollinate her with the male pollen on several branches and still fem seed her on a few branches. I wish my larger grow room was open for this. It will be in about 7 weeks. Then we could go ahead and try to sprout 4-6 at a time no problem.
I just don't want to get my hands too full by having males and females growing everywhere.

All of that being said
If we are so lucky as to have even a 30% germination rate I will be watching for that special healthy female to breed for the best seeds. Theres always 1 or 2 plants that make you wish you would have cloned or bred.

Speaking of cloning, I am not a professional cloner. I always grow from seed. I have reversed sex on a plant and self pollinated the rest of the plant so I am much more comfy going that route.

Which way do you plan to go and why?

My plan is to do whatever I need to do to get seeds. If 2 females pop up with no male then I will be either vegging her a really long time until I can get a male up or go ahead with the fem seeds. I will be doing whatever I have to to do my best to guarantee fresh seeds.
I absolutely want some feminized seeds from a nice looking female but I just as much want to collect and use some pollen from a true male to get those regular seeds. Basically, I want it all.
:drool:

That depends on how many and what sprouts. If a female sprouts right off the bat I will be reversing her sex only on one branch and making some fem seeds. If I get a male I will definitely either harvest pollen for the first female or pollinate a growing female if we are so lucky to get both sexes right off the bat.
If we get two to sprout and one is a male and 1 is a female I will marker off branches and control pollinate her with the male pollen on several branches and still fem seed her on a few branches. I wish my larger grow room was open for this. It will be in about 7 weeks. Then we could go ahead and try to sprout 4-6 at a time no problem.
I just don't want to get my hands too full by having males and females growing everywhere.

All of that being said
If we are so lucky as to have even a 30% germination rate I will be watching for that special healthy female to breed for the best seeds. Theres always 1 or 2 plants that make you wish you would have cloned or bred.

Speaking of cloning, I am not a professional cloner. I always grow from seed. I have reversed sex on a plant and self pollinated the rest of the plant so I am much more comfy going that route.

My plan is to do whatever I need to do to get seeds. If 2 females pop up with no male then I will be either vegging her a really long time until I can get a male up or go ahead with the fem seeds. I will be doing whatever I have to to do my best to guarantee fresh seeds.
I absolutely want some feminized seeds from a nice looking female but I just as much want to collect and use some pollen from a true male to get those regular seeds. Basically, I want it all.
:drool:

Now you're talken, go for the gusto. I'm sure if you get half a dozen seeds for every hour you have thought about this grow you'll end up with a "gazillion" seeds.
+rep to help em pop. :goodluck:

Re: Fanleaf Tries To Germ & Grow A Stash Of 42 Year Old Acapulco Gold Seeds!

OK guys and gals. Now we are off.

I decided to start getting 3 seeds wet. Let's first hope for them to sprout and then for 1 of each sex. Heres the details of the grow.

We will start them in a 27"X27"X63" tent.
Medium Promix HP
Water Reverse Osmosis DI
Nutes Advanced Nutrients pH perfect. (The entire lineup through Grandmaster)
Lights Will either be my blurple high end lights or one of my Cree
Cob arrays.
Strain 1973 Acapulco Gold

To start off. We will try what has always worked for me in the past. The simple wet paper towel method in a warmed dark place.

Here is our paper towel wetted with RO water
420-magazine-mobile243925411.jpg

Here is our 3 selected seeds...

420-magazine-mobile178173412.jpg

Here they are all tucked away in their cozy wet nook...
420-magazine-mobile1620825102.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1292800642.jpg

Now off to a warm dark place.

Back
Top Bottom