Finally, A Second Grow Journal!

You might want to get advice from one of the more experienced growers around here like @Pennywise or @Old Salt. Looks like some kind of a nutrient deficiency.

It does look like a deficiency. Since it's soil, @Emilya is a better choice for advice.

@barillaro, you asked earlier about re-using coco coir. I constantly re-use mine, without per-charging between runs. You can recover more of the substrate if you keep the root balls wet. This takes a few weeks. The roots will drown and die, letting you pull the stem out. The whole root ball will just fall apart.

The plant's needs at this stage are few... they need nitrogen and that is in the soil... there is no need for top dressing or anything else at this point... the soil should be able to handle things just fine.
I suspect the problem that I see getting worse over time is from watering too often. It seems the soil is always wet, and I suspect you are overwatering. Use the lift the pot method to determine if there is ANY water left in the soil, and if you can discern ANY water weight at all with your human senses, it is NOT time to water yet. It is super important to establish a wet/dry cycle in these containers, so the lower roots are able to get oxygen between each watering. I wrote a piece several years ago that is very popular describing a method to properly water a plant in a container of soil... I invite you to read it. The link is in my signature. I will keep looking in here to see how you are doing, but this very common mistake is easily corrected and I think you will be doing fine once you learn how to properly tease out the water for your weeds. Glad to see the auto finally emerged!

It does look like a deficiency. Since it's soil, @Emilya is a better choice for advice.

@barillaro, you asked earlier about re-using coco coir. I constantly re-use mine, without per-charging between runs. You can recover more of the substrate if you keep the root balls wet. This takes a few weeks. The roots will drown and die, letting you pull the stem out. The whole root ball will just fall apart.
Thanks for the Coco info salt, might restart the failed auto and drop her back into Coco

The plant's needs at this stage are few... they need nitrogen and that is in the soil... there is no need for top dressing or anything else at this point... the soil should be able to handle things just fine.
I suspect the problem that I see getting worse over time is from watering too often. It seems the soil is always wet, and I suspect you are overwatering. Use the lift the pot method to determine if there is ANY water left in the soil, and if you can discern ANY water weight at all with your human senses, it is NOT time to water yet. It is super important to establish a wet/dry cycle in these containers, so the lower roots are able to get oxygen between each watering. I wrote a piece several years ago that is very popular describing a method to properly water a plant in a container of soil... I invite you to read it. The link is in my signature. I will keep looking in here to see how you are doing, but this very common mistake is easily corrected and I think you will be doing fine once you learn how to properly tease out the water for your weeds. Glad to see the auto finally emerged!

Thanks em, I think i see where I've gone wrong then, I'll go a few more days without watering and hopefully the problem gets better

More sunlight for the girls, taking advantage while I can. Won't be able to move them back and forth once they start smelling
IMG_20191108_125922.jpg

IMG_20191108_125930.jpg

IMG_20191108_125952.jpg

The twisted RC2 loves the sun, her leaves were nearly vertical pointing at it
IMG_20191108_134908.jpg

I got my kill a watt, last night I accidentally ran the girls at 32 watts, didn't know it could dim that much. Upped it to 70 watts @21" from the canopy. Hopefully all is well and happy in the morning.

Also, the auto appears to be dying, getting dark and looks dead, will keep monitoring but currently germing another seed right now. Same with DK2 seedling. No growth again but will continue to monitor

Just hung a damn towel to try and raise humidity, up to 37 percent currently. Will check in an hour, gotta make due until I grab a humidifier.
IMG_20191109_173808.jpg

This is why I'm frustrated at the humidity. Planted last year around January with 0 issues, we are about to come out of this dip in RH I hope.
Screenshot_20191109-174152.jpg

Here in Missouri the humidity ranges anywhere from 100% the majority of late summer to 20% when there are no storms. We range all over the place and except in the dead of winter when it gets dry and the humidity drops to 5%, I don't worry about the RH other than for my own skin. I have never had a problem with my plants because of this.

If you were a pro commercial farmer and you wanted to get that extra 5% out of your crop, then you look into tricks like carefully controlling the VPD to get that marginal increase in production... but for most of us home tent dwellers... its just another way to sell us some expensive equipment.
That being said, the one place a humidifier is very handy, is in the drying tent. What an advantage it is to be able to hold your humidity at 63% for a week of drying!

Berry-D'licious No AACT Organic - Grow Journal
Pineapple Chunk Mega Crop Test - Grow Journal

Here in Missouri the humidity ranges anywhere from 100% the majority of late summer to 20% when there are no storms. We range all over the place and except in the dead of winter when it gets dry and the humidity drops to 5%, I don't worry about the RH other than for my own skin. I have never had a problem with my plants because of this.

If you were a pro commercial farmer and you wanted to get that extra 5% out of your crop, then you look into tricks like carefully controlling the VPD to get that marginal increase in production... but for most of us home tent dwellers... its just another way to sell us some expensive equipment.
That being said, the one place a humidifier is very handy, is in the drying tent. What an advantage it is to be able to hold your humidity at 63% for a week of drying!

Berry-D'licious No AACT Organic - Grow Journal
Pineapple Chunk Mega Crop Test - Grow Journal
Gotcha, possible nutes deficiency then? Might switch from RO water to tap if that's the case

You just have the one plant reacting badly, correct? So its not your watering practices, the humidity, the lights... it is something specific to that one plant. Is it still looking bad after you started working more toward establishing a wet/dry cycle?
Yes, have not given a proper watering since 10/31. They've has their leaves misted a few times at lights off and top soil wet 2x. The previous picture of the twisted girl was taken today. I read that the tobacco mosaic virus can now affect cannabis. Doesn't look too similar though

There is one of the popular forums who's chief armchair expert diagnoses TMV to every symptom he can not identify correctly, and yours would certainly fit this category. TMV however is the rarest of the rare... and I have never in all my cannabis growing days actually seen a verified case of it. You most likely have not either, and if it were that, it would not be just one plant. That twisted young thing was just the worst victim of your past watering mistakes and once she gets some roots under her she is going to do a lot better I believe... let give her some time and proper watering to make that happen. Another possibility with all the leaf misting going on that you have developed mold or mildew on her. I would stop the misting and wonder if you might be killing her with kindness... she doesn't need the mist.

There is one of the popular forums who's chief armchair expert diagnoses TMV to every symptom he can not identify correctly, and yours would certainly fit this category. TMV however is the rarest of the rare... and I have never in all my cannabis growing days actually seen a verified case of it. You most likely have not either, and if it were that, it would not be just one plant. That twisted young thing was just the worst victim of your past watering mistakes and once she gets some roots under her she is going to do a lot better I believe... let give her some time and proper watering to make that happen. Another possibility with all the leaf misting going on that you have developed mold or mildew on her. I would stop the misting and wonder if you might be killing her with kindness... she doesn't need the mist.
Hopefully the fix is simple. They might get some water tomorrow night if the leaves droop a bit, both pots feel quite light but will try and wait for them to ask for it. As for the misting causing mold or mildew, they were only wet maybe 15-20 minutes max before water evaporated and I've only done it maybe 3-4 time over 5 day period. I will give her a few days before digging around on the internet much more, thanks for the back up on this before I went overboard and made it worse

chlorine is not a problem at all unless you are trying to keep microbes alive in the soil for a organic grow... but if you are feeding nutrients from a bottle, keep in mind that chlorine is one of the 17 elements that our plants need. Most tap water is perfectly acceptable... the adage being if it isnt harmful to you or your pets, it is ok for the plants.

chlorine is not a problem at all unless you are trying to keep microbes alive in the soil for a organic grow... but if you are feeding nutrients from a bottle, keep in mind that chlorine is one of the 17 elements that our plants need. Most tap water is perfectly acceptable... the adage being if it isnt harmful to you or your pets, it is ok for the plants.
Got it, didn't know it was beneficial at all actually, learning lots today it seems lol. I was hoping for a fully organic run using only the recommended squid nutes from coast of Maine as well but might fudge it a bit to use tap, I would have had to add calMag eventually bi think anyways

ok... so if you are intending to run this approved for organic growers soil in an organic grow, belay the order to allow chlorine in there. You need to do all you can to bolster the living microbes in the soil, not kill them with chlorine. We are getting closer to the problem here now that I learn you are trying to do this without additional nutes... what are you adding to add more microbes? An organic grow needs compost teas or microbial innoculations regularly... if you are not doing that, this is not an organic grow, despite the great mineralized soil. May I suggest adding some RealGrower's Recharge to your program to be able to get the active microlife that you need? It is cheap and very effective... I am running my current organic grow on it now and it works great!

Back
Top Bottom