First Grow: Mental Floss & Satori

After your parrot takes tokes off the pipe, does he get the munchies for hemp seed?

March 2nd Photo Update

The site was down last night or I would have posted these then, but here's my pics from this weekend's repot and cab rebuild work.

The satori and mental floss seedlings are 27 days old today. This weekend we opted for the repot- and discovered some very healthy root systems- this one here is mental floss 4, my runt who had the thermometer fall on her. Turns out she had the biggest root system out of any of them.

March1Roots.jpg

the kids after repot:

March1repot.jpg

These guys are looking nice and bushy :thumb:

March1_032.jpg

My Bastard Cat's Handiwork. Coincidentally, he decided again to chew on a mental floss, and opted to pick on my poor recovered runt

March1Batard.jpg

I decided that with all the different stages of plants that are about to be on the go in there, I should ad another shelf, which has been put in for germinating young seeds. I've got some perennials for my garden started in those trays right now. I picked up an extra 2' sunmaster H0 t5 fixture. I used some scrap wood from other construction and threw it together last night. I'm pleased with my handiwork, though with 5 t5's going in there, the heat has gotten a bit much and I may have to do something with ventilation.

March1Clonecab.jpg

Yeah busy, bout to get more busy, my two Paradise white berry seedlings have popped the surface of the rockwool. they've already got lots of purple on them :eek:)

Thanks for the props MI-grower, note that my clones don't have a report... LOL they don't quite look like yours thats for sure!!

Leenie, at least early in their lives, it is my understanding that the little plants either are growing below the dirt or above it but not at the same time. So, plants that appear to be small but healthy usually have a great root mass. Better to have a solid foundation of roots IMHO. :goodjob:

Scrappin em.

Well, we opted to scrap the current clones. Your faith MI-Grower has been placed in the wrong Leenie my friend LOL Gonna start over again tomorrow. I think there was a few problems. First issue was them drying out entirely that one night. Not good!! they never quite pulled back after that. The rock wool cubes had too many impatient hands picking away at them LOL on top of that, they dried out a couple times on me while I was at work and I'm not sure how well that helped the little ones.

However, I have some seedlings up and at em. 4 of these are mandala's safari mix that were freebies. There are 5 nirvana early misty seedlings- in the search for one mommy for outdoor plants this summer. the remaining 2 seedlings are paradise white berry feminized. one of the seedlings is a gimp. came up with shriveled little yellow cotyledon leaves and no sign of those first 2 real leaves. however, the other one is very healthy and the largest of all the seedlings that have come up.

So, tomorrow to start over with the clones. The moms are getting too big and need a trim anyway, its a jungle in there!! After reading up some more on cloning I'm going to try something a little bit different this time around, by putting the clones in rock wool cubes that are submerged in soil mix. This way I can keep moisture in the rock wool a little more controllable. Thinking I may use a 2 gallon aquarium I have hanging out in a closet to sit them in for humidity control... will see.

Munki- I think I agree with you. That mental floss with the huge root system will make a fantastic mom provided its a she- especially now that shes been repotted and took off upwards again :eek:) I wonder if bein bent in half as a kid was what made her blast out that root system? hmmm...

lets try this again

So, it got time to try again with the clones. We scrapped the first go round they got too sad to even want to try and flower the clones that we would have produced IF they had rooted.

Tried a new setup this time around. We picked up some rapid rooter plugs from the local hydro shop, which I've seen used successfully by a number of people in their threads and thought they seemed ideal. We soaked them in warm water while prepping the plants for trim, taking 2 clones from each which ended up with 16 clones. They were usually the side shoots from the top nodes as they were the largest. Many of the plants have developed 4, and some 6 main branches. The mom area of the cab was getting way too crowded, this pruning was definitely needed anyway!

We used Rootech rooting gel again. Once clones were trimmed, dipped and placed in their rooting plugs we placed them all inside what I think is a 2 gallon aquarium ?? looks like 5 L. Inside that I mixed our potting soil/worm casting mix that we made up in bulk with an equal amount of perlite and moistened it well, and left about 3" deep in there. We buried the moistened rapid rooter plugs with clones in this mix, which I think will help keep the moisture in there with minimal maintenance. We misted them and put them on a shelf set aside from the lights. The plants/cuttings we're starting with are much healthier and vigorous then they were last time and I think this time around we will do much better! I'll post pictures when I have my camera again.

I also needed to address a heat issue that had developed, too many lights lead too an internal temp of 32 celcius, (90-95?) and I had a couple seedlings bust out of the rock wool cubes and then flop right over. I propped the closet open and locked my cat out of the bedroom for a while so they wouldn't cook while I found a solution. We went to a local surplus store and picked up a 6" 120 v muffin fan and wired it up. I used a cat litter box carbon filter and taped it over the front of the fan, which I then attached to my upper darkroom vent blowing the hot air out of the cab, which is getting pulled through the carbon filter. There's actually a fair amount of air flow from this teeny little fan and it solved the heat problem. We also found these tiny 4" desk fans as well, which were 5 bucks a piece and I picked up two of them. Without the clone aquarium set up in there, the cab was down to 25-26 C, which is perfect for the kids.

All of the seedlings that I started have now busted the soil. So far with the rock wool cube method, I've had 100% germination rates. 20/20 seedlings popped! right now, 5 early misty, 5 safari mix. 2 white berry. One gimpy white berry seed, but that gimpy seedling now has tiny tiny real leaves on it. If it doesn't catch up soon I'll be culling it. Thank god the other one is a monster.

On a side note, my outside garden seeds that I started wayyyy too early have all germinated as well. Some of them were supposed to take 3 weeks but came up in 4 days, which I had accounted for by putting them in early. I started painted daisies, morning glories, black eyed susan vines, and russell hybrid lupines. I may have to cull some morning glories or start some more later cause they're already lifting the dome off the tray I started them in LOL

God I can't wait til I have some real news to report... like rooted clones or something, or heaven forbid, flowering plants!

:yahoo:

March 7 Photo Update

Here's what the moms are looking like before taking clones

March7bushy.jpg

24 hours after putting them in the 2 gallon tank filled 3" with potting mix and clones in rapid rooter plugs using rootech cloning gel. They're looking pretty good I think :thumb:

March724hr.jpg

Please tell me this isn't what I think it is....

March7huh.jpg

The second batch of seedlings. The one in front is my remaining white berry girl- she came up when everyone else did but wow she took off. Gonna make a good mom I think!

March7whiteberry.jpg

Cab after more modifications (adding a lower support for the middle shelf, mounting a fan at the top air vent, and one at the bottom for intake, a small one for the seedlings. I also made adjustments to the chain suspension so it is now much easier to work with. The dome in front is my flower garden seedlings... a lil early...

March7clonecab2.jpg

Looking good LB. I'm not sure if that's a male or not, but keep your eye on it. It does look like a sac tho. Great job maximizing the space in your cab tho ;)

+rep

Everything looks great Leenie:thumb:

Best of luck with your clones and new seeds.

I agree with Dro, and you might want to keep an eye on that one and any clones you took from it.. Other than that your awesome job..

I know for a fact that my room is at about the same temp and my plants are loving it. Just make sure to keep a couple fans in there and you should be good. {just my 2cents}

Thanks guys :eek:) little bit disheartening to come home to shrivelly clones... but, I won't let that get me down! I'm certain these ones are gonna make it. The cab's running ideally 27-28 C (80-82F) with 50 humidity. The air that wafts out at you when you open it doesn't smell heavy and dank, but fresh now so I know they're getting enough new air and CO2. everyone seems happy, especially my perennials!

Really hoping that one isn't a ball... but it doesn't bode well, it was the tallest bushiest plant with the most nodes out of the 8 plants. you know the one youd want as a mom for future generations... but... ya. will be keein an eye on that one.

We've got one female- Satori #1, and one male, Satori #3 identified. Both (YAY!!) of satori#1s clones have rooted in the new clone setup using rapid rooters, and I potted them tonight in small square pots and put them with the remaining seedlings on the top shelf. The 4 seedlings that made it of the 5 mandala safari mix have gone to their new home to be flowered under a 250 hps after 10 days in my t5 setup. They've already doubled in size since moving 2 days ago. I have 6 10 day old seedlings on the top shelf- a lovely Paradise White Berry girl, and 5 Nirvana Early Misty.

Satori #3, the male, was culled along with his clones. too bad, he was a beautiful specimen :eek:(

Last night I took 4 satori#1 clones and 2 of the other 6 plants that remained. we've lost a few of the rapid rooter clones along the way, and some will be male so hopefully we get a few female clones out of the deal? so far I've only got 2 known lady clones :eek:S considering how long it takes to flower out satori I wanna get a move on!

My cloning skills need some work! Part of my problem I think is temperature, since I only have one light on the clones its really not as warm in the clone chamber as I'd like it to be. But I do really like this method as opposed to rockwool.

Thought I'd post a couple pictures of the clones in progress, there are two groups- the first batch, most of which were either males and culled or died off on their own accord, and the second group, which I used a different cloning gel "Roots." We've run into some problems with both sets- yellowing of the leaves, and general slow rooting- the two rooted clones, both satori females took 7 days to begin rooting and are 12 days old in the picture in pots now with the pro mix and worm casting mixture.

I have been watering the clone chamber every third day with tap water PH 7. They are misted twice a day.

satoriclone.jpg

smallclones.jpg

Been over watering a little bit apparently. Here's a mental floss mom.

curlyleaf.jpg

Any idea what this is? (the lil nubby not the dirt on the stem from my fingers :eek:)

nub.jpg

Best I got is possible magnesium deficiency. will start watering with epsom salts.

FINALLY! some of the original plants from way back when are in the flowering chamber!! also, have some more clones that are rooting and pretty sure they're girls- mental floss!! I was snooping in the plants today and I think I may have found some hairs :eek:) I'll wait a bit and see what happens, but looks like there are a couple hairs sticking out from behind the little leaf bit at one of the nodes on a very nice Mental floss. So excited that means soon I can have both of them on the go at last!! My white berry seedling has a lovely smell to her, sweet, she smells a bit blueberry-ish. No surprise, white berry is white widow X DJ shorts true blueberry. she's nice and hardy and so far is very compact and bushy.

Today the rooted satori clones were repotted into larger pots and moved to another closet, 250 w HPS, on 12/12. The root systems were substantial considering their young age and was enough to hold the potting medium together. Considering they're 14 days since taking a cut, they're looking pretty decent here, distinguishable by the yellow bottom leaves.

250wHPS.jpg

Yay!

SOOO HAPPY this morning to return to my cab to discover 4 rooted clones!! There is one satori #4 in the mix too, and I'm pretty sure that one is a female- I'm doing LST with her(?) that is low and bushy and compact, more indica than the others. This might be a good future keeper mommy :eek:) There's another Satori #1 (that'll make 3 of them mmmm) and two Mental Floss #4 kids. I'm almost certain this one is a female as well, my runt with a special place in my heart :eek:) The remainder of the clones look in relatively good shape thus far and I'm pretty sure there will soon be enough readied clones to sex all of my moms/dads and get the unwanted ones out of the cab. I am going to try for bonsai moms of all our strains, so I'll get some good practice on training.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom