First Grow: White Widow Auto, Soil

thanks Phree. It's my first grow aswell, I've killed a few beans in the process and being new to botany/horticulture. It's all apart of the fun, and learning; minus the expenses. But I suppose that's how you get better at something. lots experienced guys will say mine look like crap but hey, first thing I've grown in my life lol. don't give up when you get frustrated just keep trying. and on the bright side if it doesn't work you still have 2 left. I made the mistake of only doing two and having to start over. plus you can always pull clones for your good ones!

Hello again, and :welcome:! Nice to have the new folks dialing in!

It's comforting to know others are experiencing the same kind of thing - even if its a bump in the "grow road" :)

I'm staying on top of the pH, and it seems good in/out. What's interesting about all of this is that all 3 pots the had the same soil, have been watered on the same schedule, in the same environment (except for the weakest one being in the middle of the 4x2 tent)... and yet its just the 1 that is struggling! Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I should give it a bit of CalMg and see where she goes. And I'll trim some bad leaves.

Blaze- Those plants on my newbie eyes make me :drool: haha

LadyK- I actually read your thread last night on my cell phone! I wish I saw it earlier. I have my fingers crossed for ya, and obviously I'm tuned in now given we're more or less doing the same grow.

See below for a couple pics from today (Day 20). Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences all! :ciao:

IMG_52494.JPG

IMG_52507.JPG

And the rough one...
IMG_52516.JPG
Hey Phree,
Doing great buddy! Your girls are looking so fine. Sometimes one plant just doesn't do right. Could be a genetic flaw, Could be an environmental issue within the tent. You could even unknowingly be dripping solution on her when you water the outside ones. Have you shuffled your girls within your tent? Placed the middle plant at the end and seen what happened? I recently culled one of my plants because it grew sooo fast and and all the flower sites burnt up from the ends toward the center. Even if I let it grow in hopes of recovery it would certainly effect the two healthy plants by competing for light water and nutes. Same seeds, same seed bank, just an unstable genetic weirdo who didn't like my feeding schedule. Love your journal, keep up the good work. Be an American not an American't

Be an American not an American't
:laugh: Love it!

I did actually move the plants around, taking a stab that it was the environment. I put the middle (struggling) one on the left. Really haven't seen a change in either. The best plant is doing great in the middle, and the struggling girl is still struggling on the left... Each new leaf looks good when its super small, and soon thereafter develops spots, which turns into necrosis. Thanks for the suggestion though! Keep 'em comin! I still haven't been able to improve that one plant, but it hasn't dampened the joy of my first grow a bit :)

Today is day 23. I gave them their first feeding (beyond CalMg, which I added in a couple days ago to see if I couldn't help the one with the leaves that keep dying off). Unfortunately, I forgot to snap pics prior to doing some LST, except for this one... which, as a new grower, makes me smile ear to ear...

IMG_52527.JPG

I used the struggling plant to practice LST for the first time. I was surprised to see how well they handle it. I messed with it last night, and by this morning it was already fully facing the light again. Mother nature... she's somethin else!

IMG_52535.JPG

Now that I had some practice, I set my sights on the 2 plants that seem to be doing well...

IMG_52556.JPG
IMG_52577.JPG

I'll post again tomorrow to show you how they turned around!

As always, thank you for stopping in... for chatting... for sharing your thoughts. Peace and love! :peace::hippy:

HI there Phree, Those plants are looking good. hmm that middle one looks like it has a potassium def but I don't think it would develop something like that so early. Are you able to flush the single plant? I usually see people do that and their plant quickly bounces back. :thumb:

Hi there Phree, Those plants are looking good. hmm that middle one looks like it has a potassium def but I don't think it would develop something like that so early. Are you able to flush the single plant? I usually see people do that and their plant quickly bounces back. :thumb:

Thank you, thank you! I do love them :)

I can definitely flush the plant. The more I read, the more I end up at the same answer... potassium deficiency. I'll do that tomorrow and we'll see how it treats her.

glad to see you doing some LST with them, it really does make a big difference in final tally. A word of encouragement for ya. I understand the sick plant is consuming you at the moment....we all do it. Let me point out that you have two thriving plants! What you are doing is working! The fact that one isn't doing as well as the others most likely has nothing to do with anything you are doing, or not doing. You have two examples of the fact that your process is working. Nutrient deficiency at 23 days would be rare. The answer to your perceived problem may be to continue what you are doing. Believe in yourself and trust that all the hours spent researching your grow have prepared you for this. YOU GOT THIS!:high-five:

Day 27 Update

:Namaste:

The ladies are doing well. They took their first feeding without incident, and thus, got their second today, w/ increased dose. I'm using the General Organics GoBox line. The only thing I gave at full last feeding was CalMg (everything else was significantly reduced), based on what I was seeing with the one that has been struggling, Marley.

Ah, yes, they have names now... left-to-right...
Marley - Marilyn - Audrey
Marley used to be in the middle for those that know the story :)

IMG_52735.JPG

A closer look...

Marley - the only one with the brown spots > necrosis issue.
She stopped getting progressively worse after the last feeding. Thinking the CalMg (lack thereof) may have been the (or "a") issue. I read a lot of posts from people saying that with LED, you need to give CalMg from early on. A decent amount of those even had the same soil - FFOF or a FFOF/HF mix. We'll see how she takes to feeding #2 soon!

IMG_52686.JPG

Marilyn - The most healthy looking one.
Really loving the LST.

IMG_52696.JPG

Audrey - The comeback kid.
Late to the party and the runt of the litter early on. Looks like she is starting to get comfortable with herself.

IMG_52704.JPG

I also picked up an electronic pH meter, taking any question marks out of that particular area - at least from now on! It's 6.34 on it's way in, and 6.42 out. Very nice.

Hope you are having a happy Wednesday! As always... I welcome any advice or questions, or just hello's!

Cheers,
Phree :ciao:

I'm using lights similar to yours and the light spectrum is a little too neutral for me. I add (2) 12W blue light bulbs (ABI 12W Blue LED PAR38 Grow Light for Aquarium and Plant Growth (450-460nm) : Plant Growing Light Bulbs) hanging level with the height of your lights for the Vegetative stage.

When I switch to the Flowering stage I add (2) 12W red light bulbs (ABI 12W Deep Red 660nm LED Bloom Booster Grow Light Bulb for Flowering and Spectrum Enhancement) hanging level with the height of your lights.

Check it out. Your doing good and be patient. Everyone is impatient to some degree.

I'm using lights similar to yours and the light spectrum is a little too neutral for me. I add (2) 12W blue light bulbs (ABI 12W Blue LED PAR38 Grow Light for Aquarium and Plant Growth (450-460nm) : Plant Growing Light Bulbs) hanging level with the height of your lights for the Vegetative stage.

When I switch to the Flowering stage I add (2) 12W red light bulbs (ABI 12W Deep Red 660nm LED Bloom Booster Grow Light Bulb for Flowering and Spectrum Enhancement) hanging level with the height of your lights.

Check it out. Your doing good and be patient. Everyone is impatient to some degree.

I like the suggestion! I heard similar from a friend, that has lights similar (but not the same) as mine, that it's not needed, but its helpful. I'm going to pick 'em up... can't hurt :)

I also think my lights were just a bit too close. I pulled them back, and they seemed to perk up and stretch up quite a bit. Of course, with the LST, it's ended up more wide in the end than anything, but I think I found the light-distance-sweet-spot.

Another update with photos likely on Saturday!

Have a happy happy weekend all! :grinjoint:

Day 32 Update

:Namaste:

The ladies send their regards :cheesygrinsmiley:

5 days since the last pictures, so let's have a look. As always, any comments, advice, questions are very much welcomed!

The space - Left to right, we have Marley... Marilyn... and Audrey.

16837.jpg

Marley (left) - She's the fighter. Been battling something since early on. Don't think I've figured it all out, but the spotting and eventual necrosis of the leaves has at least slowed- and I consider that a win :laugh:

22481.jpg

Marilyn (middle) - Baby got curves! :yahoo:

31986.jpg

Audrey (right) - Looks good. Much thinner than Marilyn, but spreading her wings nicely now.

41535.jpg

Cheers all! =)

Phree,
Your setup looks real clean and your plants are telling you they are loving it. :bravo:
keep up the good work, write everything down and as you fine tune, only make one change at a time and wait to see the results. Obviously if you make two changes, you won't know which change was good or bad. You are going to have great results.
As the two bigger healthier plants thrive and start shadowing out the genetic misfit, you got to consider the misfit will be blocking light to the side and underneath of healthier plants as well. Those two hero's canopies will probably fill the tent edge to edge and with the increased light more yield. Do you have a place to take junior out and veg him seperately if he doesn't keep up? You could veg him until the other two are harvested and then move him into the tent for flower. His inability to process nutes properly might affect his ability to grow decent flowers. i dont know for sure but personally tent space, time, nutes, water are all expenses im not willing to gamble. Of my three seeds only 1 was genetically stable. One burnt as i started adding nutes yet the other were fine. The other just stopped growing upwards and turned into a bush. The last one is wonderful. Seeds is seeds.
Just thinking about the future, hell i might be way too invested in your journal and grow. Im just impressed with your first grow. Great Job!
:thumb:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Feelin the love! :thumb:

Phree,
Your setup looks real clean and your plants are telling you they are loving it. :bravo:
keep up the good work, write everything down and as you fine tune, only make one change at a time and wait to see the results. Obviously if you make two changes, you won't know which change was good or bad. You are going to have great results.
As the two bigger healthier plants thrive and start shadowing out the genetic misfit, you got to consider the misfit will be blocking light to the side and underneath of healthier plants as well. Those two hero's canopies will probably fill the tent edge to edge and with the increased light more yield. Do you have a place to take junior out and veg him seperately if he doesn't keep up? You could veg him until the other two are harvested and then move him into the tent for flower. His inability to process nutes properly might affect his ability to grow decent flowers. i dont know for sure but personally tent space, time, nutes, water are all expenses im not willing to gamble. Of my three seeds only 1 was genetically stable. One burnt as i started adding nutes yet the other were fine. The other just stopped growing upwards and turned into a bush. The last one is wonderful. Seeds is seeds.
Just thinking about the future, hell i might be way too invested in your journal and grow. Im just impressed with your first grow. Great Job!
:thumb:

Appreciate the advice about limiting changes to one-at-a-time. It's a good point. I've been so thorough with research and care, but if I start tweaking a bunch of things at once, I won't have learned a thing in the end because I won't know what did what!

I'm getting a little excited with the talk of the 2 healthier plants taking over the space! :yahoo: These are nice problems to deal with :laugh: I don't have anywhere to take Marley if that happens at the moment (tho this may change soon :) ), but 2 out of 3 is still a good outcome for my first grow I think.

nice Phree! looking good man. I ended up only getting one female as I used reg seeds but here she is.

She's looking B-E-A-utiful blaze!! Wow! :bravo:

In the meantime, everything is "business as usual" over here. Marley struggles, no buds yet. Marilyn and Audrey are looking good, getting bigger/bushier by the day! A new round of pics should be up tomorrow. Looking forward to providing another visual update! Until then...
:ciao:

Day 36 Update

:Namaste: Hope everyone's doing well out there!

I watered the ladies last night w/ distilled (only). Next feeding I'll do the full array of nutes from the GO Box again since it took it well last time, though I do plan to pull back just a bit since there was tip burn in a few places. I think I'm going to start the shift to bloom nutes now. Since it's an auto, I was thinking 50/50 ratio next feeding, then do just the bloom array the feeding after that.
Does that sound like a good course of action?

On to the photos...

The space - Left to right, we have Marley... Marilyn... and Audrey.
IMG_53125.JPG

Marley (left) - Poor girl is still struggling, but gotta love her... she keeps fighting, pumping out new growth as the others spot up and die off. The picture is a little misleading- the LED's make the spotting look better than it actually is.

IMG_531610.JPG

Marilyn (middle) - She's just lovely to look at. She's basically where I want her to be. I'm only doing minor LST tweaks to keep the tops semi-even.

IMG_53177.JPG

Audrey (right) - Looks good. As you can see, a bit thinner than Marilyn, but doing just fine for herself. Treatment-wise, she's getting the same... just a bit of LST to optimize growth.

IMG_531811.JPG

As always, I welcome any thoughts, advice, or high fives!

Now... a little photo shoot for Marilyn...

IMG_53198.JPG

IMG_532010.JPG

IMG_53239.JPG

:ciao:

Back
Top Bottom