First Proper Grow Attempt - DWC Vs Soil Testing

Are those the fabric smart pots?
Yes indeedy. Though some of the biggest plants graduate to hard plastic pots but only if they are too big for my 20L smart pots. I have some 35L hard plastic ones.
If I stick with soil in the long run I'll probs get me some ~40L Airpots as they are more re-useable.

Yes indeedy. Though some of the biggest plants graduate to hard plastic pots but only if they are too big for my 20L smart pots. I have some 35L hard plastic ones.
If I stick with soil in the long run I'll probs get me some ~40L Airpots as they are more re-useable.
Anything I should look out for when using smart pots other than the sizes running small?

You put something underthem to drain?

Anything I should look out for when using smart pots other than the sizes running small?

You put something underthem to drain?

I just put a tray under them and tip it out after watering.
One thing I would say is that if you plan to transplant to bigger pots don't bother taking its current fabric pot off. Just dump it straight into the bigger pot and fill around it. The roots go straight through them no problem. I found this out by having one sat over a tray of water/runoff, I didnt bother to drain and the roots just came through everywhere and started growing in the tray.
Oh and they dry out a good bit quicker than plastic pots so you need to water more often (don't over do it though, they still need to dry out a good bit between waterings).
Finally when you are filling them with soil try to maintain even compactness throughout the entire container. If you have a dense layer at the bottom and lighter layer on top, the water will just run along the top of the dense layer inside the pot and then come out the fabric half way down the side. If this happens you'll have to bottom water a bit too. (I have this with 1 of mine).

Hope that helps.
Its all I got from my limited experience.

I wasn't going to do an update for a few days due to life getting in the way, however I managed to get a few pics today and have a few mins spare while I smoke so here we go.

Firstly, the veg tent.
Its coming along just fine, clones still have nice green leaves all over, Black Dog seedlings have their first set of true leaves now.
And the Red Cherry Berry seems to be taking to the scrog.
420-magazine-mobile1920639526.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2140589386.jpg

The flower tent things are ok I guess. Could be better could be worse.
Temps and humidity are still great no issues there. I managed to snap one of the tops on my TD, it might recover it might not, its broken more than 50% of the way through the stem. Still its been in 12/12 for 2-3 days so its not too bad.
The soil plants seem ok still, both have been fed Biobizz nutes at half strength in the last day or so. On one plant I had just one leaf showing signs of deficiency, i think P and K. I checked fully and it was only this 1 leaf.
420-magazine-mobile534306050.jpg

Soil 1
420-magazine-mobile563824698.jpg

Soil 2
420-magazine-mobile325841750.jpg

The Amnesia XXL Auto has its first set of true leaves now also.
420-magazine-mobile399073709.jpg

As for the DWC i tried topping up the res rather than changing it out and my PH skyrocketed to 7.1 in 12hrs. I must have fucked up somewhat...the plant had a couple spotty leaves but other than that took it well. I have now PH'd down to 5.7 and will do a full res change tomorrow. Other than that she's going strong. Tiny buds popping up everywhere now. I can't be 100% because the seed came from a mix pack, but I'm pretty sure I got a mostly Sativa plant here. Maybe Guerilla's Gusto (Mix was Sensi Outdoor Mix)
420-magazine-mobile402351815.jpg

420-magazine-mobile29981463.jpg

Finally an overview
420-magazine-mobile1941049489.jpg

Sorry for any typos I typed this on my phone in a hurry.
Thanks for checking in all.
Have a great day.

Woohoo! Passed easy! Gave the lady some homegrown chillies and chatted downstairs. She didn't even really look around. Thank god for people who don't bother doing their jobs properly . Update will follow later tonight.

Right now I'm off for a FAT celebratory smoke.

A nice chunky nug of blue cheese.
420-magazine-mobile143209479.jpg

Ok update time.

Firstly I'm still bouncing off the walls at passing the inspection however there was a copper chopper that flew over the house today so you know, not great. Not too worried about it, but its still not nice to see. Don't fancy explaining myself in a cell...

Now the good stuff, Plants!

Veg tent:
The Red Cherry Berry (Barney's Farm) seems to be continuing to take to her ScrOG ok. I'm a bit of a noob with ScrOGs so just winging it a bit and tucking branches into next square over when they get long enough to reach (only 4 so far). 1 branch was doing particularly well so I bent it over then back under the Screen to keep it level with the others. It also had its 1st feed of 1/2 strength Bio Grow + Algamic.
420-magazine-mobile1220492649.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1882669427.jpg

The two Black D.O.G. from HSO are still doing great. Tiny but coming along well.
420-magazine-mobile1915777402.jpg

Finally the clones of the T.D. and R.C.B. are still green . No sign of roots yet, but they don't seem to be dying either. I still have 'domes' over them for humidity also.
Tangerine Dream
420-magazine-mobile1276370007.jpg

Red Cherry Berry
420-magazine-mobile2125392664.jpg

That is all that's happening in the veg tent for now. Going to have to wait until I have some plants harvested before I start any more.

As for the flower tent, It is coming along really well I think, considering I'm on my first proper grow, have thrips and two grow methods to keep up with.
That said I do still see small issues starting to appear on a couple leaves here and there. I have some yellowish white large spots on some of the leaves of the DWC plant. Only on ones closest to light so I think its light burn. I do have a dimmable balast i could drop it to 400W from 600W, but I worry then that the rest of the plant won't get enough light. Oh to be a noob. Any tips here would be awesome peeps . Other than that she survived getting shut away during inspection and almpst running out of water. There was about 1 litre left in the bucket when I changed it. Happily the roots are still pearly white and healthy though. Buds are really starting to show an idea of future shape now and are forming everywhere on her.
420-magazine-mobile1656173847.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1373757317.jpg

420-magazine-mobile250274197.jpg

Check out this stem now!! That trunk is bigger than my ****! Seriously though its just crazy. Gonna need a saw come harvest time.
420-magazine-mobile1309869787.jpg

The soil girls are ok still, the one was showing a slight deficiency so I fed her (only at half strength mind you), think it was too strong however as she has slightly burnt tips and leaf edges on a few leaves now. Will water with plain PH'd water next couple times. The other is going great as far as I can see. Buds are really forming now.
Interestingly one soil plant that was FIM'd a long time ago has a single mutated branch that is growing many more leaves + bud sites.
Here is a top view of a normal branch on the plant:
420-magazine-mobile382463070.jpg

And this is the mutated one:
420-magazine-mobile908444082.jpg

Whole Plant:
420-magazine-mobile127454628.jpg

Soil 2 getting frosty :
420-magazine-mobile535694696.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1822238731.jpg

Whole plant:
420-magazine-mobile34963248.jpg

As for the others, the TD is coming along, recovering from her supercrop nicely and starting to stretch for the light:
420-magazine-mobile1568611402.jpg

And the Amnesia XXL Auto (Dinafem) is still trooping along:
420-magazine-mobile2065729694.jpg

Couple shots of the room overview.
420-magazine-mobile1492929454.jpg

420-magazine-mobile398814527.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1090400520.jpg

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but this is all I got time for at the moment.

Thanks all for checking in.
Have a great day everyone!

:Namaste:

Watching your grow is a pleasure! Little bit of everything going on.
How's your air movement on the dwc lady? I don't know a thing about HPS lights but would more air movement help with the burn by cooling the tops? I know you are running into height issues with that one.

Going great though!

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you are enjoying it, it certainly keeps me busy with all the different stuff going on haha.

My air movement is awesome in the whole tent. I have 2 fans that cover that plant and an air cooled hood. I'm pretty sure its not heat stress, but light bleaching from too much light. Its the height thats getting me, if she was 6" shorter I'd be fine. Lol typical.

Still I'll press on and see how she goes, I think if I grow DWC again I might put an Autoflower in there so it stays a bit smaller lol

Peace dude.

Hey all, I have a question for those with any experience of properly drying and curing.

I'm obviously a few weeks off harvesting anything yet, but would like to be prepared. Firstly I do plan on washing my buds at harvest, got that covered have some big buckets and a bathtub for that.

I have a bunch of medium to small-ish glass jars saved up for curing and a couple larger containers too:
420-magazine-mobile369683771.jpg

I plan to use the really tiny jars for any hash.

I do not however have anywhere at all set up to hang up and dry my buds before they go into jars.

I'm considering buying a small 1x1x2m veg tent and a 4" carbon filter + fan to dry in. This way I can set it up in my bedroom and I don't have to worry about temperature variation, or smell. (I keep my house at 17-20°c generally which should be good right?) Also I can use it as an extra wardrobe between crops

It will set me back about £150 for the tent and fan + filter as is.

My question is do I NEED and de-humidifier or humidifier at all to get a nice slow dry? As the cost of that will certainly make a difference for me.
I would like to stress though that I really do want to be sure of a good slow dry and cure process though. Even if it costs me that extra bit of money it is better spend it, than waste ALL the money I spent up to this point by ruining what could be good weed.
I have no experience at all of drying/curing really. I once dried out a plant from my teenage years in a cardboard box and it smelled like hay, looked like hay and tastes like hay 100% fail.
Therefore any advice here would be hugely appreciated. I even looked to see if a 'bud drying cabinet/box' is something I can just buy to be sure of a good environment, but I can't find one.

Just want to be sure I don't cock it up as my view is that 90% of weed out there in the world could be nice if it was dried and cured well. So often I've bought above average (but nothing to write home about) weed and left it in a jar for a few weeks to come back to some really quality smoke.

Thanks everyone.

Look into drying nets They stack up easy to put away. Depends on humidity and bud density... I like the nets for level changes of strains.. Hella lot cheaper. Depends on alot on the buds... Some need time to dry,,, another fry to crap in a matter of days... For the airy buds I use a paper bag rolled up and checked daily.. I dense buds they go on thyhe net till crisped up a tad then slowed down in a bag. Nice thing bout a bag,,, you time the first drying. Remember never chuck your buds in a jar till the stem on a medium buds snaps,,, but don't break,,, kinds of hangs there... Then bag and tag with burping every day till completely dry and buds stop 'rehydrating'...

But another tent,,, now that means another room to play with also,,, another veg tent?? GL and Keepem Greeb

Look into drying nets They stack up easy to put away. Depends on humidity and bud density... I like the nets for level changes of strains.. Hella lot cheaper. Depends on alot on the buds... Some need time to dry,,, another fry to crap in a matter of days... For the airy buds I use a paper bag rolled up and checked daily.. I dense buds they go on thyhe net till crisped up a tad then slowed down in a bag. Nice thing bout a bag,,, you time the first drying. Remember never chuck your buds in a jar till the stem on a medium buds snaps,,, but don't break,,, kinds of hangs there... Then bag and tag with burping every day till completely dry and buds stop 'rehydrating'...

But another tent,,, now that means another room to play with also,,, another veg tent?? GL and Keepem Greeb

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will probably get a net to hang up in the tent to be honest but need the tent too to encase the odours lol.

I got good access to loads of free paper bags so thats handy to know about. I'll for sure do that with any more airy buds.

Thanks again for all the tips, would it be worth me getting some Boveda 62s?

Also not sure I can get away with using it for vegging, I'd need to buy another light for that haha. Maybe fit a little cloner in the bottom though so my veg tent has more room in.

Back
Top Bottom