First Proper Grow Attempt - DWC Vs Soil Testing

Don't worry about the frost. The buds usually don't get that frosty look until the final days before harvest

Don't worry about the frost. The buds usually don't get that frosty look until the final days before harvest
Awesome news, its really sativa looking too (at least to me it is) so I figure it will most like take a bit longer than the more indica looking soil plants. I was getting a little worried though as its nearly 5 weeks into 12/12 now. Alas patience seems to be the answer to most things related to growing.
Thanks for all the info dude! It helps put my restless and impatient mind at ease .
Bud supplies and funds are tight at the moment so it would be nice if they would hurry along lol. Not sure it works that way though .

We have roots!

The Red Cherry Berry clone now has a root out the bottom of the pot! Success! Really happy about this as it means the TD is most likely ok too. Or atleast I didn't balls up the cloning process.
420-magazine-mobile1146465506.jpg

The mother to the RCB clone is really starting fill out the scrog now too. One of the branches has now made it to the very outer edge of it so I pinched the tip off it and will train the subsequent stems in opposite directions along the edge.
At this rate it will be too big by the time I have room in the flowering tent.
420-magazine-mobile865251830.jpg

Will update on the flower tent in a few hours once lights come on in there.

Have a great day everyone.

We have roots!

The Red Cherry Berry clone now has a root out the bottom of the pot! Success! Really happy about this as it means the TD is most likely ok too. Or atleast I didn't balls up the cloning process.

What a great feeling of accomplishment when you see your babies thrive. Pass the cigars, feels like you have a new kid.....lol....and not the right handed cigars either, if you know what I mean. Great job. Keep going.

What a great feeling of accomplishment when you see your babies thrive. Pass the cigars, feels like you have a new kid.....lol....and not the right handed cigars either, if you know what I mean. Great job. Keep going.
Dude I was so happy to see a root haha.

I want to keep my better strains alive perpetually so being able to clone successfully will be key to that.

Had a nice smoke to celebrate .
Thanks for checking in.

Flower update:

Temps and humidity all good. I fixed the PH in the DWC and been keeping a closer eye on it to ensure it stays where it should (5.6-5.9). Lots of the yellowing has gone and is back to green as a result! Happy with that!

Overview pic

420-magazine-mobile1456204058.jpg

Really starting to see the shape of her buds coming through now. The picture doesn't do it justice.

420-magazine-mobile1522114554.jpg

One of the soil plants has slight nute burn again though only on the mutated branch which is a bit odd. Ah well just water for her it is.

The mutant bud:
420-magazine-mobile1855996036.jpg

This bud looks really wierd from the very top its stacking so many calyx's in:
420-magazine-mobile1650700562.jpg

The other soil girl has a few funky leaves now. Any tips on what this could be guys? Or is it normal at 4-5 weeks in?
420-magazine-mobile977091652.jpg

420-magazine-mobile305545695.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1127739421.jpg

Her buds are coming on nicely now though. Gave her a weak feed of water and molasses. So much frost appeared overnight as a result!
420-magazine-mobile98947040.jpg

As for the Tangerine Dream she's still stretching trying to reach the light. She should end up with lots of tops on her which is good news.
420-magazine-mobile286006509.jpg

Finally the Amnesia XXL Auto is putting out its second set of true leaves now.
420-magazine-mobile397021960.jpg

Overall I think things are going well, I am getting the hang of topping up my DWC res rather than doing a full swap every 2-3 days and its much easier now. The roots are thanking me for it and its sending out loads of new tiny feeder roots higher up it the bucket. Little bit worried about the yellowing/spotting on the soil plants, but that could be normal for 5 weeks in. Also I managed to acquire 1/2 an ounce of A++ Grade Amnesia Haze (its damn fine smoke) to see me through the week, so no plants will be suffering early amputations just yet.

Have a good night/evening all.
Thanks for stopping in.

Sorry for lack of detail tonight, but I'm on my own with the baby while the missus is at work so bit hectic. (Sorry if its full of typos too).

Keep calm and keep on growing everyone.

Everything looks great! The tangerine dream looks amazing.
Are you thinking of fimming or topping your Auto? My Black Jacks loved being topped. Day 15 from sprout.

Have a great night with the kid!

Thanks dude, I have 'high' hopes for the TD. I smoked some that was given to me by a friend and went home andnorderes seeds within the hour .

I have thought about doing some training on the auto, but I have also never just grow a plant out without messing with it at all. I'm just going to see how things go and play it by ear. Might do some training, might not will see how she looks when she's a little bigger.

Also, thanks, she's a terror sometimes when her mum's away. Had a couple of screamy wake ups, but nothing 45 minutes of back breaking rocking and singing lullabies can't fix so far. Don't get me wrong she's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. But damn I miss sleep, or even just being able to pop to the shop for more baccy .

Lol .. Hope you get some sleep!

Oh hey.. You posted about maybe getting a small tent for drying and I was on Wally world site and ran across tent wardrobes which come in all shapes and sizes, some with side shelves and you can obviously hang things in it and they are super cheap. Check some out.

I am a bit enthralled with the Lo n Slow method. I am about half way through the thread and it seems more and more appealing. A little midsize fridge for $180 would do a great job. Here's the link if you haven't read it yet.

DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Lol .. Hope you get some sleep!

Oh hey.. You posted about maybe getting a small tent for drying and I was on Wally world site and ran across tent wardrobes which come in all shapes and sizes, some with side shelves and you can obviously hang things in it and they are super cheap. Check some out.

I am a bit enthralled with the Lo n Slow method. I am about half way through the thread and it seems more and more appealing. A little midsize fridge for $180 would do a great job. Here's the link if you haven't read it yet.

DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest
Hey man I finally got some sleep lol.

I have seen those warbrobes but the problem is they don't seal up airtight to contain smells. Ive found a small 2'x2'x5' tent for £60 now so its not too bad. Going to get that and a little 4 inch carbon filter kit and I should be golden. I have a small fan I can throw in the bottom to move air a bit.

I did have a read of that low and slow curing. It does look very interesting, but for now atleast I'm just going to go with glass jars burped daily in cool dark place. Bit less technical that way, less for me to cock up.

I plan to get a few cheap/small hygrometers to go in the jars and then some Bovedas and hopefully that will do the trick.

Hey man I finally got some sleep lol.

I have seen those warbrobes but the problem is they don't seal up airtight to contain smells. Ive found a small 2'x2'x5' tent for £60 now so its not too bad. Going to get that and a little 4 inch carbon filter kit and I should be golden. I have a small fan I can throw in the bottom to move air a bit.

I did have a read of that low and slow curing. It does look very interesting, but for now atleast I'm just going to go with glass jars burped daily in cool dark place. Bit less technical that way, less for me to cock up.

I plan to get a few cheap/small hygrometers to go in the jars and then some Bovedas and hopefully that will do the trick.

Nothing wrong with the old tried and true method. . You could even put a nug or two in a paper bag in the fridge and compare. Little experiment.

Nothing wrong with the old tried and true method. . You could even put a nug or two in a paper bag in the fridge and compare. Little experiment.
Sounds like that could be a plan .

Quick update for today:

Temps and humidity seem to be ok still.
DWC is going strong. Nice and green and slowly growing her buds. PH'd back to 5.8 today after topping up res. I had to put 7L in after 24hrs! Crazy what its drinking now. EC is at 1.5 still.
420-magazine-mobile459813372.jpg

The bad news comes from the soil plants. Those couple of funky leaves has now turned into quite a few.
Any ideas on this guys? Help here would be hugely appreciated. Part of it looks like nute burn and part of it looks like deficiency of some sort. I thought about it though and nute burn is unlikely I have only ever fed them 1/2 strength organic nutes. (Also yes there is thrip damage there too)
420-magazine-mobile555620446.jpg

420-magazine-mobile14789248.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1109690011.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1928658830.jpg

All that said aside from the problem leaves the buds look healthy (if a little small for 6 weeks into flower - checked my calendar). Hopefully they will come good in the end. A few pics:
420-magazine-mobile579223593.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1281793036.jpg

420-magazine-mobile348867539.jpg

TD:
420-magazine-mobile109944651.jpg

Amnesia XXL Auto:
420-magazine-mobile389711506.jpg

Sorry for rushed update but got a crazy day/night today again.

Take care all.

Ok today's update.

Temps are fine, humidity got up to 70% with the lights off so I'm considering a defoliation of the DWC plant to try to bring it back down a bit. I don't have and can't afford a dehumidifier right now so defoliation is about my best option I think. I dont know how it will effect the plant if I do it, so a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any input here?

I've been continuing with topping up the res rather than completely changing it. Seems to be going well I think I got the PH adjustments down now. EC has climbed a little so I topped up today with a slightly weaker nute solution to hopefully counter that. I will be doing a res change soon enough on it though. I still want to change it fairly regularly to keep it clean.

The DWC beast:
420-magazine-mobile1930094827.jpg

420-magazine-mobile447029758.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2047724395.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts regarding defoliation on her? The canopy is pretty thick as you can see above. I get the feeling lots of bud sites are totally hidden by leaves at the moment.
Top down view:
420-magazine-mobile504268957.jpg

The soil girls are still ok too.

Soil 1 is doing ok, seems to be a bit behind Soil 2, but it might do good things yet. According to the seedbank they should be ready to chop in about 3 weeks, I find that very hard to believe myself. They don't seem anywhere near close to done. Maybe I'm too impatient but I checked my calendar today and they have been under 12/12 for 6 weeks and 3 days. They seem small and immature considering. I'm going to be a lot stricter with myself with future plants like the Black D.O.G. and T.D. thats just gone into 12/12 and keep more detailed notes of feeding schedules etc as its a strain I plan to keep around. I'm not keeping cuttings from the first few Sensi seeds mixpack (soil 1&2) as I can't identify them 100%. Anyway enough of me, here's some pics.
420-magazine-mobile680944288.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1003417234.jpg

TD still stretching away.
420-magazine-mobile169138465.jpg

Amnesia XXL Auto
420-magazine-mobile1738241935.jpg

Also somehow the p.o.s. has survived the chop so far, not sure for how much longer though. We'll see how long I can resist going on the attack with my shears . In other news of the murderous variety, I have now prepared for the DWC harvest, that is to say, I got my saw from work back to the house. Its a Silky Zubat for anyone that works outdoors around trees, they'll know what a beast it is . Its a good way to lose fingers if you're not careful.

Got a tester bud from the p.o.s. hanging up in the kitchen at the moment so I'll see how that goes in a few days then decide on when its coming down.

I was hoping to get more in this update but, a screaming poop machine needs my attention (my daughter)

Have a good day all. Keep on growing.

Don't worry about the defoil. Remove a few leaves every day until you reach desired humidity. That way you won't shock the plants

Yea she could use alittle hair cut.. What I do is stand above her, and look down, which leaves will open her up the best. And like said'',, do alittle here and alittle there. I'm no fan of taking green healthy leafs myself.. They are the power plants for your plants,,, but is a time for it.. Your beast seems to be saying it's that time. You can always take afew tomorrow,, but you sure never can replace them.. And looks like they could use alittle extra airflow... That's always a good thing. GL and Keepem Green

What I do is stand above her, and look down, which leaves will open her up the best. And like said'',, do alittle here and alittle there. I'm no fan of taking green healthy leafs myself.. They are the power plants for your plants,,, but is a time for it.. GL and Keepem Green

I love this tip!! I'm always bending this way and that when seeking leaves to take for better light and air but looking down from above totally makes sense! ✌

Back
Top Bottom