First Time Grower!

I have been noticing an increased number of leaves starting to discolor at the tips, and this is forsure not an optical illusion lol.... I don't believe its heat stress or light shock as its only a few leaves so far and they are in different places in the canopy. Any ideas?

I caught my sisters cat nibbling on some of the lower leaves of a different plant so maybe he introduced a bug into the tent or something. I want to spray the plants down with some diluted hydrogen-peroxide (3%) to disinfect before the buds start coming in. Whats the best technique for using peroxide?

Day_5_1_3.jpg
Day_5_2_3.jpg

I don't think it's a bug, I'd think more along the lines of ph or nutes, but I'm no expert, still got a lot of learning to do myself
I'd pluck those leaves off though, then keep watch of it, I was advised not to flush going from veg > flower unless it was needed, so maybe it's lacking in N, iirc you did flush when you switched right?

Also I just read about a couple products not sure if you use anything like them, ones Real Growers Recharge the other is Microbe Life Photosynthesis Plus
They're both the same idea, just have some differences so only use 1, seem that they'll make keeping these babies healthy a lot easier, look like amazing products
Member in my journal swears by photosynthesis plus, should check it out

I don't think it's a bug, I'd think more along the lines of ph or nutes, but I'm no expert, still got a lot of learning to do myself
I'd pluck those leaves off though, then keep watch of it, I was advised not to flush going from veg > flower unless it was needed, so maybe it's lacking in N, iirc you did flush when you switched right?

Yeah it may be caused by pH or nutes but I haven't changed the way i pH and its only a couple leaves on 2 out of 5 plants.

I wouldn't say i "flushed" them as I didn't get tremendous runoff from a typical flush...however, the last two times I watered them it was strictly purified water (Don't have an RO system). So I don't think it's nute burn either....IDK. Hopefully once I start feeding them the bloom nutes it'll take care of any deficiencies.

Any other feedback from members is welcome!

So since I've switched to flower and turned on the bloom switch on the LED panel and the two 150watt HPS lights the temps have been 82-86. If i leave the tent zipped up for more than a couple hours temps can rise above 86. I have a tower fan oscillating and a 190cfm fan pulling through a carbon filter, ducted out of the tent to my window....however this doesn't seem to be enough. I have to unzip the main door flap and one of the side flaps to get temps down to 82.

My question is how do you guys manage to keep temps low without using AC? I live in Southern California near the coast so it never really gets that hot out but yet my tent is always above 80 degrees. Would a higher cfm exhaust fan be the answer? Maybe add another big 22" fan to increase air circulation? Any suggestions would be great, I'm trying to keep the tent cool without breaking the bank using my house AC. I don't have room for a portable AC unit either =/

My 4X4 tent really got cooler when I upgraded to a 430 cfm 6" fan from my 4" 190 cfm one. I am running a 1200 watt advertised LED and it stays around 70-74 depending on the temps outside. I have my passive air pickup right next to an A/C duct so when it does start getting warm I can kick on the AC and bring it down quickly.

My 4X4 tent really got cooler when I upgraded to a 430 cfm 6" fan from my 4" 190 cfm one. I am running a 1200 watt advertised LED and it stays around 70-74 depending on the temps outside. I have my passive air pickup right next to an A/C duct so when it does start getting warm I can kick on the AC and bring it down quickly.

Ya right now I have a 4" 190cfm fan connected to my carbon filter which surely means its less than 190cfm. So you bought a new 6" carbon filter and a new 430cfm fan? Do the walls of the tent get sucked in because of the higher cfm fan or do the passive intakes allow for enough airflow?

Yeah, I got a new 6 inch filter, fan and aluminum ducting and it was worth the cash just to have steady temps and no smell from the tent. The walls of the tent do bow in from the suction but I have a fan control and could run it if it was ever a problem. It hasn't been so far as the tent fabric is fairly tight. My cheaper tent that is much looser sucks the sides in by at least 6 inches on each side which can really cut into the available space. My buddy stuffs newspaper around the poles like a wedge to tighten the fabric up and it tends to help but looks goofy as hell.

Yeah, I got a new 6 inch filter, fan and aluminum ducting and it was worth the cash just to have steady temps and no smell from the tent. The walls of the tent do bow in from the suction but I have a fan control and could run it if it was ever a problem. It hasn't been so far as the tent fabric is fairly tight. My cheaper tent that is much looser sucks the sides in by at least 6 inches on each side which can really cut into the available space. My buddy stuffs newspaper around the poles like a wedge to tighten the fabric up and it tends to help but looks goofy as hell.

Yeah at this point I would rather spend the $130 on better exhaust equipment than pay $250+/mo in electricity having to use the house AC. I don't have a Gorilla tent but I do have metal poles so I think it can withstand extra stress of the walls sucking in. Might order everything off amazon and try it out before its too much of a pain to move the plants out of the tent so I can install new fan/filter.

So I got home from work last night and noticed there was a new change in the plants. Now some of them are starting to get this weird orange speckles almost...It looks like an orange dusting or something. Of course the minute I switch to flower I start having all these issues now. I knew this was going to happen fml. Any ideas?
Day_9_7_.jpg
Day_9_6_.jpg
Day_9_5_1.jpg
Day_9_3_1.jpg
Day_9_2_3.jpg
Day_9_1_3.jpg

Found this sticky on the forums awhile back. Maybe it'll help ya out.

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Hey Thanks I appreciate the info :thumb:

So I just fed them their bloom nutes for the first time and added a little CalMag however I think I dropped the ball when I forgot to pH the water before feeding. The little I did test was around 5.3 but the runoff was 5.8. Hopefully they can absorb some nutrients and reverse the discoloration.

On a happier note my ladies are finally starting to bud!
Day_10_1_2.jpg
Day_10_4_1.jpg
Day_10_3_3.jpg
Day_10_2_3.jpg

As promised I'm back with an update about how the new fan/ventilation system is working.

I mentioned in a previous post about having temperature issues when the tent if fully zipped up (bottom vents open) where temps would rise 86+ fairly quickly. So to combat this issue I ordered a 440 cfm exhaust fan/carbon filter combo and I'm excited to say he equipment arrived yesterday =). However it was a weird day after hearing about the tragedy in Las Vegas I was in a super funk all day and was having major issues trying to hook everything up myself. After struggling to lift and secure the filter/fan, having the ducting fall off several times and hooking the exhaust fan up facing the wrong way (it was sucking air into the tent) and wanting to just cry I finally got it all put together and I must say I'm very pleased so far. I noticed, however, a couple of the hangar bars across the top started to bow a tiny amount, but I noticed it. I'm going to reinforce the poles and the connector pieces with duct tape and get a few extra strap to secure the fan.

After leaving the tent fully zipped up, again the bottom vents open I periodically checked the temp throughout the night I'm happy to report that ambient temperatures stood around 78-79, down from 86+! I'M SO RELIEVED THIS HELPED OMG =) I had the fan on fully power (440cfm) to achieve such a drop in temp however I'm thinking I'm going to need to get some sort of timer for the exhaust as I don't want it running full speed while the lights are off. I just want it to kick on every 15-30 minutes to exhaust out any built up humidity while I'm at work and the lights are off however I don't necessarily know how to achieve that haha. I'm sure a quick google search will point me in the right direction. I also included a photo of a lollipop I did last night on one of the plants. I'm going to finish the other plants tonight. I think by defoliating these massive bushes I'll help release any trapped heat in the canopy and possible lower temps slightly more. At the very least it'll improve circulation and light penetration.

I currently have the ducting just blowing out my window, but as you can see it's not very stealthy and after looking at my window from the outside it's a super bust. I'm trying to figure out what to attach to the end of the ducting so it doesn't look like an aluminum pipe sticking out my window screen. I was thinking about using some sort of register to set in my window seal. Maybe something like this Barnett Supplies for the Commercial Contractor | Plumbing | Electrical | HVAC -

Details

20171003_020011.jpg
20171003_020022.jpg

20171003_020047.jpg

Check out Bulk Reef Supply and look at the Reefkeeper lite aquarium controller. With that, you can regulate the fans on a temperature control. You set the temp range and the unit does the rest. You can do many things with the unit. Lighting shceduals,temp control, top off, dosing of whatever chemicals ya use,ph monitering, etc, etc. Pretty handy gaget.

Check out Bulk Reef Supply and look at the Reefkeeper lite aquarium controller. With that, you can regulate the fans on a temperature control. You set the temp range and the unit does the rest. You can do many things with the unit. Lighting shceduals,temp control, top off, dosing of whatever chemicals ya use,ph monitering, etc, etc. Pretty handy gaget.

That's pretty high tech for a user name of OldSchool1965:)

That's pretty high tech for a user name of OldSchool1965:)

Keeping saltwater reef tanks for over a decade has made me a fan of automation my friend ... lol.

But yea, I remember my first closet grow WAY back in the day ... with bag seed ... under regular shop lights no less ... before the internet ... in a rented 1 bdrm apartment. That was 1986 / 7 ...?
Times have definitely changed.

Hey thanks for the advice I'm going to look into that, I appreciate the heads up.

Looking awesome Gimmik

For your exhaust, if you're able to hang it right beside your carbon filter you'll get much better suction through your filter :thumb:

Yaa I know. I plan on rearranging the placement of everything next grow. It was such a struggle to hang on that stuff up because I couldn't really remove the scrog so I had to put the fan/filter where it was easiest to reach.

Last night I spent the better half of two hours defoliating and lollipopping the plants. Here are some pictures!

Before:
Day_13_2_2.jpg

After:
Day_13_3_1.jpg

An under canopy view. Before you couldn't even see the lights o_O! Really good penetration now
Day_13_1_.jpg

While trimming I almost had a heartattack when I noticed all the plants were super yobbly in the soil. The main stalk would sway an inch or two and I was honestly afraid they were going to uproot so I immediately called up my buddy and he calmed me down and explained that since the plants were so big and bushy when i took them off the scrog net they were no longer supported by it and the weight of itself made it slump over. So I'm definitely going to have to add another net to help support the buds when they start coming in bigger.

Last night I spent the better half of two hours defoliating and lollipopping the plants. Here are some pictures!

Before:
Day_13_2_2.jpg

After:
Day_13_3_1.jpg

An under canopy view. Before you couldn't even see the lights o_O! Really good penetration now
Day_13_1_.jpg

While trimming I almost had a heartattack when I noticed all the plants were super yobbly in the soil. The main stalk would sway an inch or two and I was honestly afraid they were going to uproot so I immediately called up my buddy and he calmed me down and explained that since the plants were so big and bushy when i took them off the scrog net they were no longer supported by it and the weight of itself made it slump over. So I'm definitely going to have to add another net to help support the buds when they start coming in bigger.

Really nice looking plants. Mine got wobbly also after I had done some heavy defol on the lower branches. I ended up getting some 5 foot tall bamboo stakes and putting 3 or 4 in each 7 gallon pot. It helped a lot and I could support them with plant wire tied off. I plan on trying scrog soon, I just have to get a group of plants in the flower tent that are all close to the same age and size. What strain are you growing? They look really healthy, and happy 69th post by the way:)

Back
Top Bottom