Gallery Upload Issues

Thanks Rob :thanks:

A question/suggestion regarding that. Is it possible to introduce the capacity for members to rotate at the naming and tagging stage of upload?
So at the step where the images have loaded and you can put in names, descriptions and tags, we would be able to rotate the orientation there. Please ask the tech team if this is possible
:cheer::thanks:
You just asked them, you can start addressing things to the team here, instead of me specifically. :thanks:

Guys, please either discuss this civilly or back off, do some bong rips and go to another thread.

It's stressful enough as it is dealing with all this crap, we don't need fighting on top of it. :thanks:

I am being civil. See all the frikkin's? That would be other words if I wasn't being civil. And like, every second word would be a swear word if I was letting rip. I exploded for a bit there but I'm keeping it in check. Sorry. Aussie and got a bit of an anger issue when people ignore/misunderstand me. But I have been trying to keep it on point and trying to point out what the issue is instead of just swearing my head off. Plus it's like 3:30am now and I'll be going to bed soon so lots of smoke for me to calm down before bed then several hours without me firing the place up.

I have to admit I did what you call ‘face palmed’ a few times while catching up! @Nightmask - sorry you had to explain your question again. Not that I could’ve changed that, just sorry for you that it happened that way.

I don’t know how else to address this. I think it’s just a matter of the site admins finding out if such a feature is possible in the new software. I agree drag n drop was simple before, and there were a few early queries about it which is why it went in the first request list. It can be frustrating when te details of those get forgotten in the fray and we have to repeat ourselves - but that’s how it is.

The whole album setup in the new platform here may not be compatible with drag n drop feature, as Bonsaiweed suggested.
Anything we might think about how it might or might not work is speculation though.

It’s not a matter of helping Nightmask with his ‘problem’ - I don’t see that he has a problem so much as a fairly specific question. I think the question is really, @420 & @Marc Ocean , can you investigate whether a feature like the old drag n drop option for uploading from a desktop might be possible on the current platform, please?

:Namaste:
Thanks Amy, it's been a bit of a ride. I can't tell if I'm insane or bashing my head against a brick wall or yelling into the wind. I have no idea about how the album stuff would work and I really don't dare because I don't use albums, I just wanna upload to 420 Member Galleries in a simple and easy to use way (and if that were easy then so too should be uploading to albums). Technically I can still upload pictures so that ability is there, I can upload, it's just not in a very intuitive way. I've opted for uploading zero images instead of using the current 420 PC image uploading software because of how bad it is to use with PC (which also means barely any grow journal updates) and if it stays the same way I will continue to not upload pictures and since growing is a rather image heavy hobby without an easy means of uploading images I for one will not stick around, though I will for the next several months in the hopes that the image uploading thing does get sorted out because I really like this place and the people here (even if I do swear at some folks this is still the most amazing community I've ever come across) I've stuck around so far and would rather not leave because of the singular issue of crap PC uploading.

As for if drag-and-drop can be used in the new software it could be used in the old software so why not in the new? Why have newer software disallow the use of something that older software could use if it was awsome? It's simply a matter of code. Check out the old code if needed and copy and paste and modify what's needed into the new software. Or just use a search engine or scripting forum to look for "drag and drop html script" or something similar and look at the code and make whatever modifications are needed to fit into the new 420 html script. I used to dabble in scripting webpages using Notepad over a decade ago so I got used to the coding (this new stuff is way over my head though) so alls you gotta do is find the right code/script (for drag-and-drop) and make the modifications to fit into the code of the website you want it displayed on (420). There should be drag-and-drop html script out there, alls thats needed to be done is make the scripts compatible. I honestly don't see why there's a huge problem, unless drag-and-drop is behind a copyright paywall and you gotta pay a dollar per use of drag-and-drop or some other bullshizz.

I apologize for going off last night but if you can get past my swearing I hope you guys can see my frustration regarding image uploading and requesting an easy to use drag-and-drop feature. I took a few pictures to show what I mean and put them in a folder on my desktop as @Amy Gardner suggested just so I could upload them. And when trying to upload those pictures I encountered another problem. Albums. It seems I wasn't able to upload my pictures without creating an album to upload them too. Why can't I just upload to my personal Member Gallery section like before? Do I really need to create a new album every time I want to upload pictures? WW week 5 album, Kush week 5 album, Kush week 6 album, Kush week 7 album, JH veg album, GC veg album, am I doing it wrong or do I seriously need to create a new album for every upload or set of images? And if I can put them all into the same album why can't that album simply be Member Galleries?

Anyways, on to the images to show the main problem. The issue isn't technically uploading images because I can, the issue is being able to upload them easily using a drag-and-drop feature instead of breaking my finger from all the double clicking through directories or having to have a dedicated folder for 420 uploads where I copy pictures to upload and then gotta delete.

Okay so I go to the Add Media page and click on the Upload File button and I get this:

I should mention I'm using Windows XP so admittedly my file upload looks and works different to those with newer OS's and if I had a newer OS it would look similar to the image @Bonsaiweed showed and would be easier to use than the WinXP file upload, but with that being said WinXP isn't the problem because everything worked great on the previous website with the whole drag-and-drop and my OS wasn't a problem then so it shouldn't be now. And I'd rather jump ship and find another website with easy image uploading rather than having to fork out several thousand dollars for a new computer that can handle a newer OS just to upload pictures here easily. Anywho, back to the point. So using that Windows File Upload box I then have to navigate through each directory to get where I want to go:

After much double clicking through directories I get to where I wanna go. The upload thingie does remember the last used folder I was viewing so that's good, I thought I'd have to start all over again from that first image. So less annoying than I thought it was. But using this there'd still be a lot of clicking on the Back/Up buttons to go back/up directories and then double clicking to get to the directory I want. Directory hunting aside as you can see I view my files by list or details. Not very useful to view images. I use Windows to navigate my directories and I use a different program to view what's in those directories. But I can fix that problem by changing the view from list/details to thumbnails:

Atleast now I can see my pictures and from here I can hold SHIFT or CTRL to select them all or just the ones I want (from this directory only, I'd have to upload those pictures and open a new upload box and navigate to a different directory to upload other pictures). But the thumbnail size used by Windows is small and the number of images viewable is limited by the File Upload window size. And another problem is that as soon as I click Open/Submit/Upload that File Upload box disappears then I gotta click more to get it back and use the Back/Up buttons and double clicking to navigate directories. Using the Windows File Upload thing to navigate directories is a nightmare. What I would like (drag-and-drop) is to be able to have a separate folder open (or image viewing software) to keep the directory structure open so I'd just have to single click on the + or - to open or collapse directories and single click to view that directory. As so:

See how using that makes things so much simpler and easier than the Windows File Upload? Nothing disappears, no having to double click or back/up, the directory structure remains the same and open and easy to navigate, and this directory structure remains open and stable regardless of using Windows (like above) or using a decent image viewing software (like ACDSee). Using multiple directories to keep things organized may be 'overly complicated' to some but I like to keep my stuff atleast semi structured. But again I use list/details to view my files which isn't very useful for viewing images. But that's simple enough to change the view to thumbnails and I can resize the window to view more thumbnails at once:

Okay great, I can easily navigate my files and directories now and even though I prefer details not thumbnails I can see my pictures to have a better idea which I'd like to upload. But the thumbnail size is small which I can't change (but can in an image viewing software). And because it's just a thumbnail most of the time I'd want to see the full sized image so I can be sure it's a good pic to upload or if it just looked good in the thumbnail but I can't hold SHIFT or CTRL to select multiple files and want to open one to check it out because as soon as I open that image it would deselect all the others (or open them all and give my computer a seizure). And if I've gotta open the picture to full size to view anyways then why not just use a dedicated image viewing software instead of Windows? But regardless of which you used the big problem remains because using a Windows folder or image viewing software to navigate and view my images doesn't mean squat when there is no way to get the pictures from there to here (like drag-and-drop) and the only way to upload is restricted to using just that stupid Windows File Upload thing.

I apologize for going off last night but if you can get past my swearing I hope you guys can see my frustration regarding image uploading and requesting an easy to use drag-and-drop feature. I took a few pictures to show what I mean and put them in a folder on my desktop as @Amy Gardner suggested just so I could upload them. And when trying to upload those pictures I encountered another problem. Albums. It seems I wasn't able to upload my pictures without creating an album to upload them too. Why can't I just upload to my personal Member Gallery section like before? Do I really need to create a new album every time I want to upload pictures? WW week 5 album, Kush week 5 album, Kush week 6 album, Kush week 7 album, JH veg album, GC veg album, am I doing it wrong or do I seriously need to create a new album for every upload or set of images? And if I can put them all into the same album why can't that album simply be Member Galleries?

Anyways, on to the images to show the main problem. The issue isn't technically uploading images because I can, the issue is being able to upload them easily using a drag-and-drop feature instead of breaking my finger from all the double clicking through directories or having to have a dedicated folder for 420 uploads where I copy pictures to upload and then gotta delete.

Okay so I go to the Add Media page and click on the Upload File button and I get this:

I should mention I'm using Windows XP so admittedly my file upload looks and works different to those with newer OS's and if I had a newer OS it would look similar to the image @Bonsaiweed showed and would be easier to use than the WinXP file upload, but with that being said WinXP isn't the problem because everything worked great on the previous website with the whole drag-and-drop and my OS wasn't a problem then so it shouldn't be now. And I'd rather jump ship and find another website with easy image uploading rather than having to fork out several thousand dollars for a new computer that can handle a newer OS just to upload pictures here easily. Anywho, back to the point. So using that Windows File Upload box I then have to navigate through each directory to get where I want to go:

After much double clicking through directories I get to where I wanna go. The upload thingie does remember the last used folder I was viewing so that's good, I thought I'd have to start all over again from that first image. So less annoying than I thought it was. But using this there'd still be a lot of clicking on the Back/Up buttons to go back/up directories and then double clicking to get to the directory I want. Directory hunting aside as you can see I view my files by list or details. Not very useful to view images. I use Windows to navigate my directories and I use a different program to view what's in those directories. But I can fix that problem by changing the view from list/details to thumbnails:

Atleast now I can see my pictures and from here I can hold SHIFT or CTRL to select them all or just the ones I want (from this directory only, I'd have to upload those pictures and open a new upload box and navigate to a different directory to upload other pictures). But the thumbnail size used by Windows is small and the number of images viewable is limited by the File Upload window size. And another problem is that as soon as I click Open/Submit/Upload that File Upload box disappears then I gotta click more to get it back and use the Back/Up buttons and double clicking to navigate directories. Using the Windows File Upload thing to navigate directories is a nightmare. What I would like (drag-and-drop) is to be able to have a separate folder open (or image viewing software) to keep the directory structure open so I'd just have to single click on the + or - to open or collapse directories and single click to view that directory. As so:

See how using that makes things so much simpler and easier than the Windows File Upload? Nothing disappears, no having to double click or back/up, the directory structure remains the same and open and easy to navigate, and this directory structure remains open and stable regardless of using Windows (like above) or using a decent image viewing software (like ACDSee). Using multiple directories to keep things organized may be 'overly complicated' to some but I like to keep my stuff atleast semi structured. But again I use list/details to view my files which isn't very useful for viewing images. But that's simple enough to change the view to thumbnails and I can resize the window to view more thumbnails at once:

Okay great, I can easily navigate my files and directories now and even though I prefer details not thumbnails I can see my pictures to have a better idea which I'd like to upload. But the thumbnail size is small which I can't change (but can in an image viewing software). And because it's just a thumbnail most of the time I'd want to see the full sized image so I can be sure it's a good pic to upload or if it just looked good in the thumbnail but I can't hold SHIFT or CTRL to select multiple files and want to open one to check it out because as soon as I open that image it would deselect all the others (or open them all and give my computer a seizure). And if I've gotta open the picture to full size to view anyways then why not just use a dedicated image viewing software instead of Windows? But regardless of which you used the big problem remains because using a Windows folder or image viewing software to navigate and view my images doesn't mean squat when there is no way to get the pictures from there to here (like drag-and-drop) and the only way to upload is restricted to using just that stupid Windows File Upload thing.

What I have found that helps is when I upload from my PC it remembers, like on my Phone, The Folder I uploaded from in the Past.

Now by using a removable Drive I bet it dosent work that way since its, kinda, a new Folder every time it is plugged in to your Computer, at least thats how my Mind is thinking. So I think @Amy Gardner may have suggested creating a Folder, easily accessible for the 420 Image Upload, to drag your Pics into prior to uploading on The Site, That would help eliminate a Bunch of xtra clicking for ya.

As for the Albums Creating. If you just create One, Mine is named Test...lol.. wasnt sure what to call it at first, It will remember the Name once you type a T, in my case, in the Use Add Media to Existing Album. Then Like I have mentioned here, once you are at that spot Create a Bookmark on yer Browser to take you straight There every time

Hope that helps a little Bit

@Marc Ocean

We are seeing a Lot of New Members creating albums that are Private since the Default is Album Owner Only

I knows its been mentioned Before but Default really should be Everyone

What I have found that helps is when I upload from my PC it remembers, like on my Phone, The Folder I uploaded from in the Past.

Now by using a removable Drive I bet it dosent work that way since its, kinda, a new Folder every time it is plugged in to your Computer, at least thats how my Mind is thinking. So I think @Amy Gardner may have suggested creating a Folder, easily accessible for the 420 Image Upload, to drag your Pics into prior to uploading on The Site, That would help eliminate a Bunch of xtra clicking for ya.

As for the Albums Creating. If you just create One, Mine is named Test...lol.. wasnt sure what to call it at first, It will remember the Name once you type a T, in my case, in the Use Add Media to Existing Album. Then Like I have mentioned here, once you are at that spot Create a Bookmark on yer Browser to take you straight There every time

Hope that helps a little Bit

I'm gunna start pulling my hair out soon. Which could be a good thing cause I need a haircut. But I'd prefer not to go bald. Because no that didn't help a little bit or any at all.

I'm aware that uploading images from the PC saves the last folder. I mentioned that in my previous post when I said this:
After much double clicking through directories I get to where I wanna go. The upload thingie does remember the last used folder I was viewing so that's good, I thought I'd have to start all over again from that first image. So less annoying than I thought it was. But using this there'd still be a lot of clicking on the Back/Up buttons to go back/up directories and then double clicking to get to the directory I want.
And then there's the earlier response I gave when @Amy Gardner first mentioned the idea of creating a 420 specific uploads folder that can be found here with my shortened response here:
Sure I could put a folder on my desktop for easy access and drag-and-drop from image software to that folder but if I did a whole heap at once they wouldn't be in the order or grouping I'd want to upload or I'd have to do a few pics at a time to get the grouping right and either way I'd have to delete all those pictures afterwards because I want them stored on an external hard-drive and not on my desktop.

Seriously, why do I need to have a dedicated folder somewhere that I copy files to just to upload to 420 and then delete them afterwards and do that for every single picture I want to upload? The images are stored exactly where I want them on an external hard drive, why the hell do they need to be copied to a single dedicated folder on my computer before being uploaded to 420? Yes that would eliminate a bunch of extra clicking but it adds a shitload of unnecessary copying and deleting.

You say album creation is easy, you create one and it remembers the name, well why can't I use my standard Member Galleries/Nightmask where all my previous pictures are stored like the previous website did it? Why do I need to use an album? I wanna use my Member Galleries album. The default whatever. C drive. Right there. That place. Can I store there with all my other pics? If not why not? Why do I need to create a "test" album?

I just don't understand the response from you people. On the one hand some of you say yes drag and drop would be great and make things much easier and simpler to use, yet on the other hand so many of you defend the current system and try to offer 'simple' solutions for what is a major pain in the butt (in some cases it's the same people wanting drag and drop and defending the current system). It's like going from a luxury car with power steering (previous drag and drop) to a car you gotta fix the radiator to and fill up with water and break fluid and whatever other fluid every single morning and empty every single night and you're offering ways of 'simplifying' that repetitive bullshit we shouldn't have to do every single time we wanna go for a drive. Yes we can still drive/upload but it's such a pain in the ass to do so that I'd prefer not to use it at all.

I'm not having a go at the 420 community. I know you guys are trying to help but most of you completely misunderstand or offer 'solutions' that really aren't. They may make things easier yes but it's like the car analogy above where you're offering a patch for something broken and saying its all good instead of asking for something that works properly that doesn't need to be patched. And I'm not having a go at the 420 staff. At all. I understand atleast some of the difficulties in trying to get code to work properly (fix one bug and two more pop up). This is a wonderful community and the 420 folks are doing a fantastic job on the website. I really do like this place. My only issue/request is wanting a simple and easy to use image uploading system like drag-and-drop. That's it. My long ass posts and frustration and anger stems from that one single issue (well, the anger from people completely misunderstanding the issue). I've learned patience, even though my responses from the past few days may not seem like it. I brought this stuff up a month and a half ago or more and have brought it up several times since and it gets lots of likes and people seem to like the idea of drag-and-drop and even though it would be a heck of a lot easier to use for so many people instead people are defending whatever the image uploading system is we've got now. Yes we can upload images with the current system, it's just really annoying to use and forces us to go through a whole bunch of extra steps we really shouldn't need to take.

There are absolutely top priority things for the 420 folks to work on, like security. Keep us safe first, convenience second. I've mentioned several times I understand and appreciate how much work the 420 staff are putting in and I've honestly been fine taking time off to work on other things. But I mentioned this like a month and a half ago. I don't mind waiting if I know change is on the horizon (which is odd because a big part of me hates change). But is it? All I've heard so far is community members speculating and offering patchwork 'solutions'. So I put forth the question:

Are you @420 looking into a simple drag-and-drop feature for image uploading?

If the answer is yes, even if it's like a month down the track I'd be happy. Preferably sooner rather than later but you guys have your own priorities to work by and I'm happy to wait if I know it's coming. I'm not demanding it right this instant. If it's not at all going to happen and the image uploading system we've got now is what we're stuck with then tell me now so I can start looking for another website with easier image uploading to join.

@Nightmask
I don’t think Chris and I are misunderstanding your issue at all. We’re just both trying to suggest ways of making the process simpler with the way the site functions now. Both of us would love the drag n drop function too - and both of us have made that known. But until the admins are able to investigate that, which I’ve always said could be sometime as it’s likely a low priority, we’re looking for ways to make it a bit easier.

@420 @Marc Ocean

I have to echo what’s been said about the Album creation steps. That setup is causing problems, including what Chris mentioned about new users leaving the default settings in place and inadvertently creating private albums.

Rob, it baffles me a bit that you said ages ago that no one should be able to access those permissions - and since then the process has actually not changed at all - from my end.

Why do we have to use or create albums at all when we upload? It’s a really cumbersome part of the process. And Chris is right that the private albums are still coming up as a problem, and not just with new members.

including what Chris mentioned about new users leaving the default settings in place and inadvertently creating private albums.
This has been updated.

Why do we have to use or create albums at all when we upload? It’s a really cumbersome part of the process. And Chris is right that the private albums are still coming up as a problem, and not just with new members.
My goal has been for each member to have one default album that they upload to, which I believe has to be created once, then after that, you just add to existing album. The other way we had before was having people upload to categories, but too many people uploaded to the wrong categories and within a day, the gallery was a mess. So we decided to shut that off, clean those up and have everyone use their own albums instead, which is more like other social networking sites anyway. Then we got slammed with 20 other high priority issues from the migration that have consumed all of our time, energy and resources. Meanwhile, members keep freaking out about more stuff, leading us on wild goose chases, complaining when we don't reply to every request and suggestion, and sidetracking us. So it's been quite the challenge each day for us getting through it all, you can rest assured we are working around the clock trying to fix, tweak and add everything for you.

My goal has been for each member to have one default album that they upload to, which I believe has to be created once, then after that, you just add to existing album. The other way we had before was having people upload to categories, but too many people uploaded to the wrong categories and within a day, the gallery was a mess. So we decided to shut that off, clean those up and have everyone use their own albums instead, which is more like other social networking sites anyway. Then we got slammed with 20 other high priority issues from the migration that have consumed all of our time, energy and resources. Meanwhile, members keep freaking out about more stuff, leading us on wild goose chases, complaining when we don't reply to every request and suggestion, and sidetracking us. So it's been quite the challenge each day for us getting through it all, you can rest assured we are working around the clock trying to fix, tweak and add everything for you.

Yep - all good. NOt trying to distract you! It was just that you’ve mentioned yourself that we shouldn’t have access to the permissions, and we still do. It defaults to ‘Everyone’ now which is better - but the option to change it to restricted is still available. ANd the option is listed as having “advanced privacy settings”.

I do get what you mean about the albums. It’s not very clear when you’re going through the process, that that’s what you’re supposed to do though (meaning what you said about create one Album first time and upload to that).

This is a completely different Album related issue - or bug perhaps.

I’ve had a weird thing happen this last week or so: When I go to add new media and select to add to existing albums, I see 2 other members’ Albums there as well as my own. This screenshot shows what I see when i select to add media to existing album.

First one appeared, then a few days later another one. Not sure how? And I wonder if those members can see any of my Albums when they upload.

ANyway - just thought this wa something you would want to know about (@Marc Ocean @420)

Edited to fix terminology (albums not galleries :rolleyes: ;) )

Has anyone experienced their images uploading upside down or sideways recently? Just checking.
Hi Marc - actually I did just this afternoon. I uploaded today about midday my time (so 4-5hours ago) and a few portrait orientation shots got rotated sideways.

Cheers

Oh - and I just uploaded again and those 2 rogue albums have gone so hopefully that’s because you fixed it! (Do you still see them @DrDoob ?)

We are working on a long list of gallery issues, among many other things. This thread will be closed until we get done with what we are working on and are ready for comments again. Thank you for your patience, understanding and support, we are truly grateful. :Namaste:

I would like to see a tutorial for correcting a picture's orientation while uploading.

I know they are working on the rotation correction, but I'm sure there will be cases where the software doesn't rotate it correctly.
This should be fixed as of yesterday but we're currently testing just in case something was missed. I've done some test uploads and all were successful. Another member is helping test who experienced this issue before.
Has anyone encountered this issue where their images are turned upside down or sideways recently when uploading images to the 420 gallery or is anyone available to test it out when using their phone to upload?

Has anyone encountered this issue where their images are turned upside down or sideways recently when uploading images to the 420 gallery or is anyone available to test it out when using their phone to upload?
I have rotating them manually but I just tried one and it seems okay. I'll report back if I have more problems later.

Back
Top Bottom