Gallery Upload Issues

We sorted out the 16 step upload process yesterday, now down to just a few steps.

The new photo tutorial will be released as soon as we finish wrapping up the final details.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!! Sorry I was the messenger for many hours of aggravation.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!! Sorry I was the messenger for many hours of aggravation.
We got through this for the last 25 years together, think we will be okay for another 25 :Namaste:

@420 @Marc Ocean
Now that some of the Gallery Kinks are being addressed, have we looked at any of the Following Items

Drag and Drop of Images into the Upload File Window
Primarily for the PC and Ipad users

WYSIWYG viewing in the Reply Window instead of PREVIEW of the Post.
I believe this is one of the frustrating aspects of posting Larger Posts with multiple Images. The Old system would number the pics as you tagged them, thus inserting them in order. It still does this but is cornfusing to say the least.
WYSIWYG makes it easy to add Pics, then go to them and add the Comments/texts as needed for your Post. It is almost impossible to do this on a Phone do to the limited scrolling ability and small screen

with these two changes I think many members will be excited and happy with the new Media system

I know Members have suggested the Option to upload Images straight into the Reply Window. Not sure if thats as practical at this point or Not, Stripping of Data and such, But another thing to Think about

Ill toss this here in Hopes it helps a few of You

Here is an easy way to create your Bookmark to Upload Images in 1 click on an Android Phone, But same basic steps on a PC, and Id assume IPhone

Get yourself to the last stage before you add the pics:)

Then create a bookmark, the star on an Android, or Add to Home screen like I did. I have the link on the front page on my phone, and bookmark on my PC

One click and yer uploading pics

I also learned something else today

when you go into your Gallery to select Pics, It will actualy post them in the order you select them

BAM!!

I was doing a post for the MODS about some issues to address and Found out it works like it did on the old system

I.E.

Say you tag pics 1,7,3 and 2, in that order
They will then Post in that order in your POST....

Fun Fun Fun

Hope this helps a few of you Upload and Post Images a bit easier

Is there much progress happening with drag-and-drop or similar simpler upload system for PC? Picture uploading may be easy to use on an iPhone or Android but it's still annoying on PC.

Picture uploading may be easy to use on an iPhone or Android but it's still annoying on PC.
On desktop:

1. Hover mouse over Gallery from the navigation menu and click Add Media.
2. Select one of the options (category, create personal album or add media to existing album).
3. Press the upload button to upload as many pics as you desire.
4. Save.

Are these the steps you're following?

On desktop:

2. Select one of the options (category, create personal album or add media to existing album).
4. Save.

Okay I'll explain it again even though I've described the issue twice in detail (though for some reason I can't find my previous posts, maybe cause some posts were moved from a different thread?).
I do step 1, I do step 2 and click Member Gallery for upload, step 3 I click on the upload file button, and that's the easy part. Step 4 isn't a simply select and save. So on PC I click on the upload file button and that brings up a standard Windows file upload box. I then have to double click on My Computer, double click on the external hard-drive I store on, and keep double clicking through every single directory to find the directory I want, click on a single file and click 'open' (to upload) and then I have to do the whole bloody thing all over again to upload another single picture.

Okay I found my previous posts on the issue but for some reason they were left on the previous thread and not moved here. So here's the quotes of the relevant parts from my previous posts (posts #92 and #544 from Brand New Forums and Gallery thread). Hopefully with everything in one place/post you guys can see the problem. Please could you use a drag-and-drop style system for image uploading like was on the previous site because that was easy to use.

While these instructions/setup may work great for phones and galleries it's not very good for desktop users, atleast for me. To explain, the previous setup for uploading pictures had an 'upload bar' that had space for 7 pics at a time that I could drag and drop pictures to. I could use a regular Windows directory or I could use an image viewing software like ACDSee so I could view my images, see which ones I liked and wanted to upload, then drag and drop from there into the 420 image uploader, which also allowed for multiple image uploads (up to 7), and then it would take me to another page where I could add a title, description, tags, etc for each image. It worked great. Now (unless I'm doing things wrong) it seems like I can no longer drag and drop and can only upload a file one at a time by clicking the uploading file icon and clicking through every directory to get to my picture location and at best only being able to use the windows file upload window to see a tiny thumbnail and having to manually click through every directory for every single picture upload. It may work well on a phone to navigate to the gallery and go from there but using my desktop it seems really annoying.
Anywho, stuffs awsome, but some stuff not as awsome. Like picture uploading on a PC. Basically, picture uploading on PC sucks. You go to the thing with the Add Media and Upload File and it just brings up a standard Windows file upload menu which I then have to click through directory by directory by directory to get to where I store my pics and upload one pic then do the whole thing all over again. Sure I can hold CTRL (something not everyone would know) and keep clicking pics I wanna upload but I have no idea if there's a file limit (there used to be) and I'd hate to get pic happy and click like 50 pics to upload all at once. Plus the Windows file upload uses pretty small thumbnails that are harder to see or just file details. Before we had a cool thing we could drag and drop up to 7 files onto at a time to upload and we could use an external image viewing program to view the pics in bigger/better quality. Any chance we could get something similar?

I described the issue before and Amy Gardner responded. Here's a bit of that conversation with the relevant bits.
Hi Nightmask, I’m not having any issue uploading from my desktop PC. Can you describe what happens when you try?
Oh ok - so I went back and checked and I get your issue now.
I included the ‘drag and drop’ feature when I made a list for Rob of bugs and requests coming out of this thread. It’s on the list to be looked at - but will depend on if the software supports the function.

I get around it by dumping or copying all the pics I want to a folder on my desktop so I can get to them easily from that browser - maybe treat that as a similar thing to being able to drag them to the upload box... My guess is it’ll be a while before that request gets looked at.

Your work around sounds like it'd work much easier but it still sounds annoying. I'm using a PC and standard digital camera, so after taking pics I gotta take out the memory card and plug it into the computer then I view them and name them and put them onto a removable hard drive in separate folders based on which plants/set and which stage of growth (veg, flower, harvest) for easy sorting and later viewing. Before I could do that and when I wanted to upload to 420 I'd just plug in the drive and using an image viewing software look at the pictures in each directory and drag-and-drop my favourites into the 420 upload box and it was simple and easy to use. Sure I could put a folder on my desktop for easy access and drag-and-drop from image software to that folder but if I did a whole heap at once they wouldn't be in the order or grouping I'd want to upload or I'd have to do a few pics at a time to get the grouping right and either way I'd have to delete all those pictures afterwards because I want them stored on an external hard-drive and not on my desktop.

Yep - what you describe is pretty much how i do it when I'm using digital camera pics. I have a dedicated 'uploads' folder with sub folders as required for categories and plants etc like you mention... but this is seperate to my library, it's just for the 420 uploads. The files are copied there beforehand and deleted afterwards so I always know I'm going to upload all files in a particular folder. I don't see that as being way more cumbersome that the old way you used to do it - it's one extra step, to copy/collate the files before upload. It'd be disappointing to say the least to lose a valued member because of one step! Hopefully you can hang in there with it for a while - at least until Rob has time to investigate the drag n drop option.

Your way of uploading does sound easier but it's extra steps that shouldn't need to be taken. And it's not just 1 extra step. Find the pics you want from your general pic storage area, copy them to your desktop 420 only uploads folder, use 420 and the browser navigation to select and upload the pics, then delete pics from that folder (and rinse and repeat for every time you wanna upload pics or sets of pics).

I don't think I'm the only person having an issue with the PC picture upload system since my previous posts got a number of likes and you yourself have an issue with it and created your own 'work-around'. I know the 420 folks are super busy trying to iron out the kinks on the upgraded website and I've taken time off for another project which is why I haven't brought it up more but for a website that's so image heavy it'd be nice to have an image uploading system that's easy to use. The previous drag-and-drop system (or something like it) meant you didn't have to create a dedicated folder for 420 and you didn't need to copy or delete anything because the copy/upload was the same thing and nothing needed to be deleted.

On desktop:

4. Save.

Be sure if you create a personal album you check the viewable by everyone box or else no one but you will be able to see the photos. By default it’s set so only the album creator can view the images.

Okay I'll explain it again even though I've described the issue twice in detail (though for some reason I can't find my previous posts, maybe cause some posts were moved from a different thread?).
I do step 1, I do step 2 and click Member Gallery for upload, step 3 I click on the upload file button, and that's the easy part. Step 4 isn't a simply select and save. So on PC I click on the upload file button and that brings up a standard Windows file upload box. I then have to double click on My Computer, double click on the external hard-drive I store on, and keep double clicking through every single directory to find the directory I want, click on a single file and click 'open' (to upload) and then I have to do the whole bloody thing all over again to upload another single picture.

Okay I found my previous posts on the issue but for some reason they were left on the previous thread and not moved here. So here's the quotes of the relevant parts from my previous posts (posts #92 and #544 from Brand New Forums and Gallery thread). Hopefully with everything in one place/post you guys can see the problem. Please could you use a drag-and-drop style system for image uploading like was on the previous site because that was easy to use.

I described the issue before and Amy Gardner responded. Here's a bit of that conversation with the relevant bits.
Whoa.....bro....

You can upload all those pictures at once. You can either select the first one, hold down shift and select the last one. Or hold control and select the pictures you want to upload with just one window to open (upload) all the files. When you hit open, they are all uploaded at once.

When you get to the window below, select all the pictures you want to upload with shift or control. Then click open.

Hope this helps. I can see why you were frustrated.

This is the exact reason drag and drop would be a huge asset on the PC
Many real photographer, not like us phone picture hacks, use a nice camera, and like @Nightmask , stores them on drives and off computer locations, thus a challenge to upload from these drives
Now it is true that u can select multiple pics at once, if you search or sort the pics it won't allow you to select multiple pics, I'd have to mess with this to screenshot the issue
Again drag and drop, and WYSIWYG editing would be a huge improvement in relation to the gallery items

Whoa.....bro....

You can upload all those pictures at once. You can either select the first one, hold down shift and select the last one. Or hold control and select the pictures you want to upload with just one window to open (upload) all the files. When you hit open, they are all uploaded at once.

When you get to the window below, select all the pictures you want to upload with shift or control. Then click open.

Hope this helps. I can see why you were frustrated.

Dude, I'm not a retard when it comes to using computers, I'm 36 and been using computers since I was about 14, but way to totally dismiss everything I said and act like you know it all and I don't know shit. I know about using SHIFT and CTRL, but not everybody does. How many people are that computer literate? If you actually read my post I specifically mentioned using CTRL and why it's a pain. I didn't mention using SHIFT because I don't want to upload everything because I take a lot of pictures so even though I may store for my own personal use on my own personal external hard drive I do not want to upload all those picture, so for me SHIFT is out of the question. And again, using CTRL still has the same goddam problem of having to upload pictures from a single directory at a time then having to go back and double click through every fucking directory again to get to a different directory (from say set 1 to set 2, or veg to flower, or any goddam directory to any other directory of which I have many because I use many because I like to be organized). So no, your response didn't help at all, it was condescending and didn't tell me a fucking thing I didn't already know. And no, you cannot see why I'm frustrated because people like you dismissing my concerns and being a complete and total condescending ass and telling me shit I already know is part of why I'm so frustrated and pissed off. That and not being able to upload pictures in a simple drag-and-drop manner instead of having to go through a hundred and one steps (or rather a hundred and one double clicks through directories) to upload pictures on a picture heavy website.

Back
Top Bottom