Gallery Upload Issues

In regards to the reported cumbersome gallery upload process, embedding photos into threads. Is it possible for someone to summarize the gallery upload process for me in a very simple format, with step by step instructions, without added comments and rants. I'd like to know exactly how much more difficult it is now, and how we can work to remove some of those steps.

We do have the ability to turn on attachments, which would make things 420 times easier, but the photos would not be searchable in a gallery, nor would they watermark, nor would they strip exif data. So we need all of the data on the table, in order to make the best decision. There are thousands of settings we haven't even touched yet, I'm hoping it's just a simple case of turning something on, turning something off, etc.

The pros will be in tomorrow, so I'll have more help.

This is how I do it from my phone.

1. Go to the gallery section in the menu.
2. Click on “new media”.
3. Click on “add media”
4. Chose “create personal album”. I could have alternatively uploaded to an already created album instead.
5. Click “upload file” and select “photo library” and then select the images I want to upload.
6. Then name each uploaded image and add a description and tags.
7. Name the album and put in a description.
8. Change the default permissions to allow other people to be able to see the images.
9. Find the thread I want to post images in.
10. Start typing until I get to the spot I want the images to be inserted.
11. Press the camera icon.
12. Close the site “hamburger” menu because it always slides out from the left the first time I press the camera button.
13. Press the camera button again.
14. Select the images I want to insert. About 25% of the time have to close and reopen the gallery because it’s not able to be scrolled.
15. Scroll down and press the “continue” button.
16. Submit post.

2. Click on “new media”.
3. Click on “add media”
4. Chose “create personal album”. I could have alternatively uploaded to an already created album instead.
5. Click “upload file” and select “photo library” and then select the images I want to upload.
8. Change the default permissions to allow other people to be able to see the images.
12. Close the site “hamburger” menu because it always slides out from the left the first time I press the camera button.
14. Select the images I want to insert. About 25% of the time have to close and reopen the gallery because it’s not able to be scrolled.
16. Submit post.
This is what I need to get started, thank you so much.

Can anyone else comment on these steps, seems about right for you as well, or might you have something to offer, in regards to a faster solution?

Meanwhile, I am gathering data for the discussion with the developers, keep the data coming guys. :thanks:

@420 Hi Rob - yep that’s about right for me too, from a phone. The only difference is the step where he says the menu always slides out from the left... for me the first tap on the camera icon usually activates the link the the 420 main page (thankfully the site cache of the compose box usually saves what I’d written so far). I have to remember to scroll just a little to move the icon away from the top of the screen before I tap it.
I can confirm the intermittent scrolling problem @DrDoob notes at step 14. (What happens there is thatvthe page behind scrolls, not the gallery thumbnails).

Also - my final steps have been different until today, because I’ve developed the habit over time of putting my pics into the ‘plants’ or ‘nugs’ or ‘off topic’ categories etc. The new create your own gallery thing seems more cumbersome to me. But I can get used to it I guess - others might like it.
:Namaste:

And on a desktop - that process changes at step 14 because you have to enter your computers file browser and navigate to the desired images. If they happen to be in different folders you have to add from each location seperately. This is the issue @Nightmask has been raising.

:thanks::Namaste:

I was hoping by removing the options to upload to all of those other galleries, it would make things less complicated and force everyone into just one gallery for each member. This does not appear to be happening, so I'll get help from the developers tomorrow :thumb:

Except for having to rename and tag all the images individually, it’s not super bad to upload multiple images. But to add one image real fast to a post is no longer possible.

The old mobile app allowed single images to be uploaded directly in the compose window, shaving off about 12 of the steps I mentioned.

I personally think the biggest actual problem (as opposed to just being extremely inconvenient) with the many gallery steps, is that the default permissions for new albums are set so no one can see the images except the album owner (and presumably admins).
I concur.

Can you fix orientation within the edit features?

Yes... Thank you sir. You put a big smile on my face this morning. BTW when I uploaded this morning all my photos also loaded with proper orientation.

The old mobile app allowed single images to be uploaded directly in the compose window, shaving off about 12 of the steps I mentioned.
This is tru Doob, it’s also tru though that that old quick attach in the app didn’t go through the 420 gallery so didn’t get stripped of its exif data - so it was totally non secure. Why I never used it! One of the big draws for me here, apart from the awesome community :love:, is the member security and protection... that tends to help me through any moments of frustration uploading to gallery. ;):thumb:

Except for having to rename and tag all the images individually, it’s not super bad to upload multiple images. But to add one image real fast to a post is no longer possible.

As Amy mentioned, our mobile app was made by 420, the same company who began stealing our member photos without notice or permission, so we had to separate ourselves. We take our privacy and member security very seriously, which is why we pay extra to host our servers in Canada and have special written scripts to strip off exif location data from photos during uploads. 420 was not stripping this data, plus they are hosted in the US, which means the feds had access to your data and locations. Then if that wasn't bad enough, at random they go through their servers deleting federally illegal activity, like pictures of cannabis and cannabis gardens, which deletes your photos from the threads, making them worthless.

Our goal is to make the upload/embed process the easiest possible, with the least amount of steps, while maintaining your security, privacy, safety and freedom. If we can figure out how to strip attachments of exif data, viruses and trojans, and watermark them, we may open attachments up as an option, for those who don't care if the photos are in thier gallery or not. Looking forward to getting as close as we can this week, so we can all agree and turn the page moving forward.

I wish we had more time to get the new site perfected in our dev area before release, but were forced to move forward quickly, due to their actions. Anyone angry about these unexpected rush changes, can thank 420.

2. Click on “new media”.
3. Click on “add media”
16. Submit post.

Support request has begun on this issue with the developers. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom