GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Absolutely gorgeous pics, GG7!!! :bravo:

Those plants just look awesome!

I was going to extend my sympathies on the male, but it sounds like you might not be all that broken up about it, so I'll just keep watching to see what's in store!
:welldone:

The back hill looks great. :bravo:

Purple Rhino sounds really good. :yummy:

Hi HMG!!

Thanks for stopping by! I have no idea what kind of buds we would get from a Purple Urkle/White Rhino pairing, but I would venture to say that it would be descent! :) One thing I am noticing about this Wild Urkle is that the buds are pretty airy. Not dense at all, so I am not expecting to be wowed by the buds based on what I am seeing so far. I haven't seen this strain in its native state until now, having never grown the strain before this season. Like most, I mainly know of it through studying the lineage Grand Daddy Purple. The purple in GDP coming from Purple Urkle, with Oregon Big Bud used in the cross to obviously get around the airy nature of Purple Urkle's natural tendency to more open structure to her flower buds.

Absolutely gorgeous pics, GG7!!! :bravo:

Those plants just look awesome!

I was going to extend my sympathies on the male, but it sounds like you might not be all that broken up about it, so I'll just keep watching to see what's in store!
:welldone:

Hey Mr. K! Thanks! :yahoo:

Yeah... I'm not bummed about the WR being a male. Those plants were free anyway, and since they have been outside since they were seedlings, its not like I have that much time or effort invested in them. The thought of getting some seeds out of the deal definitely appeals to me. A Purple version of White Rhino has the potential to be a really cool strain! I dropped a few questions into Twelve's Breeding thread asking about pollenation based on proximity. Want to find out how wide a reach a 9 foot tall male would have with the female plants surrounding it.

I've got ZERO experience with breeding Cannabis, so I definitely need some guideance in that area! :)

Awesome buds!!

Thanks HerbFarma and welcome to my journal! I hope that you stick around and follow us through the last few months of our growing season!

Cheers guys and thanks as always for checking in! :thumb:

Beautiful Man Beautiful great lookin plants Goldengoose7 I love outdoor growin I just put up some pics in my gallery check them out if you get a chance there 7 weeks in bud right now thxs Great journal :peace:

Beautiful Man Beautiful great lookin plants Goldengoose7 I love outdoor growin I just put up some pics in my gallery check them out if you get a chance there 7 weeks in bud right now thxs Great journal :peace:

Hey! Thanks for checking in Papa! :)

I'll definitely head over and check out your photos right now! :thumb:

Indoor Grow Update
A Look at Everything Indoors

Here are the latest photos from our various indoor growing operations starting with all the BBK clones in our flowering room.

On the right is BBK #3 which is actually BBK #1's growing tip that we cloned after topping #1 all those weeks ago. On the left are second generation BBK clones 5, 6 and 7 which were taken from BBK #2

p10118221.JPG
p1011817.JPG
P1011818.JPG

All of the BBK clones in here are at about the week #3 mark in their flower cycle. They all began flowering outdoors and were brought into our "Bloom Room" 2 weeks ago today

p10118151.JPG
P1011824.JPG
P1011812.JPG
P10118131.JPG
p1011823.JPG
P1011828.JPG

Here is the smallest flowering BBK clone we have. Just 9 inches tall

P1011829.JPG

The plan right now is to keep these indoors until the equinox arrives on the 23rd. From there on out, we will be getting 12 hours or more of darkness outdoors so I plan to move these back outside to finish and then will turn the Bloom Room into our primary Veg Room through the winter. This will not only house some of our Cannabis mothers for next year, but a few selected RED Jalapeno plants as well! :)

The Latest From the Bedroom Closet Veg Room

We've replaced all but one of the aluminum broiler pans with an extra large kitty litter box that our cats don't use anymore! Makes a great water catcher and allows us to fit more plants under our 4 foot 4 tube fixture

P1011835.JPG

Our four GDP clones are flourishing under the 20/4 light cycle. Might have to start thinking about transplanting them soon

p1011836.JPG

p1011837.JPG

Here is Blue Cheese #2 and our three Northern Lights clones

P1011840.JPG

Blue Cheese #3 and what's left of the recently harvested GDP #2, which we plan to Bonsai once she starts revegging

P1011839.JPG

The Mother of BBK Grows in 2012!

And last but certainly not least... BBK #4! Thankfully well into veg mode now! She will provide the cuttings that will become the clones of next season's BBK grows!

This space is normally occupied by our Turbo Klone cloner which has been put into storage until we need it for cloning next season's first generation.

p1011838.JPG

Thats all folks!

See ya next time and thanks for checking in! :thanks:

Twelve12 said:
Hey GG7! Your outdoor garden looks great and indoor garden looks cozy. What's your plans on the WR male? The cross you make with it will vary unless you backcross. With the variation hope you find a hidden gem.

Hey 12!

What is a "backcross"?

Based on proximity I think just a couple of Urkles and the White Rhino female are close enough to get hit with the pollen. I might just move the male off with the tomatoes where there are no other Cannabis, and do the brushing technique you mentioned.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Sounds like a plan! Keep us updated on the breeding exercise.

Backcrossing will allow the seeds to increase the odds of having desirable traits from the mother. Take the offspring of the first cross male (F1) and cross it back to the mother (P1). Then you will get BxF2, select your best male and cross it back to P1 to get BxF3. Each time you backcross you're increasing the chance of a desirable trait from the mother passing down to the offspring.

Sounds like a plan! Keep us updated on the breeding exercise.

Backcrossing will allow the seeds to increase the odds of having desirable traits from the mother. Take the offspring of the first cross male (F1) and cross it back to the mother (P1). Then you will get BxF2, select your best male and cross it back to P1 to get BxF3. Each time you backcross you're increasing the chance of a desirable trait from the mother passing down to the offspring.

Wow! Thanks for that info! I had no idea that you had to go through all of that in order to create a new strain! I thought that you just crossed the two, got the seeds and away you go! ;)

Not sure if I am going to be able to dedicate that much time to all this, but if I do end up getting seeds I will see what I can do. Thing is, any mother plant that gets pollenated out back is way too big to be brought inside, so no way for it to survive one of our intense Sierra winters, so she most definitely will not be around for another go at pollenation in 2012.

I guess I could being one of the smaller Urkle clones around and see what happens. Can it be a clone of the mother plant that gets the backcross treatment? Since they are supposed to be genetically identical to the mother, perhaps that will accomplish the same thing?

Thanks again for your help with this mysterious aspect of the growing process! :)

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already Golden... HOW do you SAVE the male "goodies" in order to pollinate at a later date?

Hi Greenie!

Since I've never attempted this before, I'm not completely sure. I assume that pollen can "keep" for a period of time if stored properly.

I know that the Cannabis seed can be kept viable for many, many years if stored in a cool, dark , dry environment, so perhaps the cannabis pollen would keep in the same way.

Is that right Twelve?

Wow! Thanks for that info! I had no idea that you had to go through all of that in order to create a new strain! I thought that you just crossed the two, got the seeds and away you go! ;)

Hehe yes a new strain is crossing two different genetics to make a new one. The F1 will be uniform but it may not be special and may carry traits you don't want. Backcrossing after F2 will present variety for you to make selection from. Check out this thread that talks about the art of selective breeding by DJ Short. Lots of work goes into creating the awesome strains you see today in the market, and legendary strains like Blueberry and C99 used selective process with backcrossing techniques (and other breeder's trade secrets).

Can it be a clone of the mother plant that gets the backcross treatment? Since they are supposed to be genetically identical to the mother, perhaps that will accomplish the same thing?

Yes you can take the clone of the mother plant (P1), grow it out and backcross it with the previous offspring from the original mother. Keeping label on plants will help identify the collections and its generation of crosses along with original parents. Mislabel plant can really mess up years of hard work. Hope I answer the question still new at this, only got 2 crosses for F1 under my belt.

Excerpt taken from 'Marijuana Botany
An Advanced Study: The Propogation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis' by Robert Connel Clarke

Info on storing pollen:

Dioecious (separate male & female plants) species plant pollen doesn't remain viable very long at room temperature and humidity.

The key to useful (viable) long term pollen storage is to dry the pollen and chill it to store long term.

Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial. Avoid plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage. To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. It's better to use an indicating desiccant. When dry, this material is blue; as it absorbs moisture, it turns pink. Using an indicating desiccant, you can tell when it has absorbed all the moisture it can. It is impossible to tell whether regular desiccant is still dry just by looking at it. Once indicating desiccant has absorbed all the moisture possible, it may turn pink, but will stop changing color. Place it in the oven and bake it until it turns blue again. This desiccant can be used over and over again. (you can reuse regular dessicant as well)

I try to put enough pollen in each glass vial to pollinate a single branch (Usually popcorn stuff). Write the variety name and date stored on both sides of the vial or on a slip of paper inside the vial so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once the vial is sealed, place it in the refrigerator for a couple of days (with dessicant). Do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen cell walls and kill it.

Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days (more is better) the moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have heard that pollen will stay viable for at least three years. (No experiments to prove this yet.)

Once you open a vial, use the pollen as soon as possible.

Pollen loses viability quickly at room temperature and even faster at higher temperatures. Pollen can stay viable at room temperature for several days. But quickly loses it's potency. (A good thing if you get a hermie in the grow room, could you imagine pollen that was good for months or years??)

This is great information and a great way to do this. I tried to +rep you, but I must have to spread the love around first.

I've heard of other ways to do this too, but no doubt your way should work great. Nice info - thanks for taking the time to share that. This is something I plan to do when I get my next male if possible. The back-cross info is spot on and good too. :bravo:

Excerpt taken from 'Marijuana Botany
An Advanced Study: The Propogation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis' by Robert Connel Clarke

Info on storing pollen:

Dioecious (separate male & female plants) species plant pollen doesn't remain viable very long at room temperature and humidity.

The key to useful (viable) long term pollen storage is to dry the pollen and chill it to store long term.

Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial. Avoid plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage. To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. It's better to use an indicating desiccant. When dry, this material is blue; as it absorbs moisture, it turns pink. Using an indicating desiccant, you can tell when it has absorbed all the moisture it can. It is impossible to tell whether regular desiccant is still dry just by looking at it. Once indicating desiccant has absorbed all the moisture possible, it may turn pink, but will stop changing color. Place it in the oven and bake it until it turns blue again. This desiccant can be used over and over again. (you can reuse regular dessicant as well)

I try to put enough pollen in each glass vial to pollinate a single branch (Usually popcorn stuff). Write the variety name and date stored on both sides of the vial or on a slip of paper inside the vial so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once the vial is sealed, place it in the refrigerator for a couple of days (with dessicant). Do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen cell walls and kill it.

Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days (more is better) the moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have heard that pollen will stay viable for at least three years. (No experiments to prove this yet.)

Once you open a vial, use the pollen as soon as possible.

Pollen loses viability quickly at room temperature and even faster at higher temperatures. Pollen can stay viable at room temperature for several days. But quickly loses it's potency. (A good thing if you get a hermie in the grow room, could you imagine pollen that was good for months or years??)

Hope I didn't steer this thread away :eek:fftopic: too much

Now let's :focus: hehe

Not at all Twelve! :thumb:

I think this is very timely info to be added here especially since I am going to be doing some kind of a breeding attempt with this White rhino male and some of the felame plants growing around it. :)

late subscriber to a truly awesome thread.

Thanks GG.

WOW! Thanks for the kind words Les! I'm pleased that you found my journal and will be joining us through the remainder of this very busy season! :welcome:

Still lots more to come before winter sets in, so stay tuned! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom