GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Well, well, well.... Beautiful harvest you have there GG7. Bummer on the GDP, hope she pulls through muh man... Fingers are crossed

Good luck with her Golden :)

Thanks Greenie!

We've done all we can do at this point. Now it is up to her to take advnantage of the much bigger pot with fresh clean soil under her lower roots. In addition to the transplant, I am foliar feeding the leaves with 1 oz of this Cold Pressed, 100% Organic, Norwegian Kelp Extract per gallon every couple of hours.

Well, well, well.... Beautiful harvest you have there GG7. Bummer on the GDP, hope she pulls through muh man... Fingers are crossed

Thanks King! :thumb:

I'm more than pleased with my harvests so far this season! The weather has been perfect and overall this is hands down one of the mildest summers we have had up here in the last 25 years! Has proven PERFECT for all of our crops. Totato and pepper yields are through the roof so far and we haven't even gotten to the peak harvesting time for them yet!

The Cannabis has been equally hearty!

Speaking of... Here are a few more quick photos I snapped of my indoor vegging grow moved outdoors for some extra sun energy while there is still good weather out here for them! :)

GDP Clones 4-7 Getting some "Rays" out on the back deck!

P1011687.JPG

If GDP 1 fails to recover from her current ailment, at least her offspring will continue her legacy! All but GDP #6 were taken from GDP #1.

P1011688.JPG

Blue Cheese #2

I've trimmed off the lower flower top leaving just the main upper section. I plan to end our latest cloning session soon and will put these indoor plants on a 24/0 light cycle to hopefully get the BC into full veg mode!

P1011689.JPG

BBK Clone #4 Looking Good!

P1011690.JPG

I'll try to get some new photos of the back hill plants this week to show you how big they are all getting!

Stay tuned and thanks as always for sticking around! :thanks:

That kloner looks familiar, is it a TurboKlone?

Hey Ganja! You have a VERY GOOD EYE!

It is a Turbo Klone T48! :bravo:

Its been a real boon to my cloning success since I added it to my arsenal a few months ago. Up until I started trying to clone my original Blue Cheese plant that had gone back into flower, I had been getting a 100% success rate with it.

The last two sessions have been mixed, but as you saw, I was finally able to get ONE rooted clone out of the current batch of BC cuttings.

I do have GOOD NEWS on that front today! I just checked the remaining cuttings and A SECOND BC CUTTING has started to root! :thumb: I just got done adding a second dose of "Roots Excelerator" to the reservoir along with a 80 ml chaser of Clonex Cloning Solution, to see if I can manage to coax out one or two more BC clones before I call it a day and wrap up my cloning efforts for this growing season. :)

I'm eager to get the cloner out of the picture for now so I can put my veg grow on a 24/0 light cycle in that same closet. Can't really do it until the cloner is done cause the extra light hours will make it impossible to maintain a 72 degree F water temp in the cloner.

Anyway... Hopefully I can get these additional cuttings rooting in the next few days so I can drain the T48 and expand the veg area to include the light station where the cloner is currently sitting.

P.S. Welcome to my Journal! Glad to have you aboard and I hope that you will continue to monitor my thread! :welcome:

While it's true that I have a good eye, it's even more true that I have a good cloner, same as yours, have had it for awhile, they make the best on the market.

My grow room is elevated, almost cut a whole in the floor to let it hang out the bottom to keep it cool, there is a huge difference in the success when you maintain the recommended temps [the little fan only lowers the temps by a couple of degrees, nice idea, doesn't work all that well]. I've resorted to frozen water bottles for now, they make all of the difference in the world and last for a few hours. I picked up a digital aquarium thermometer with an attached probe, stuck the probe into one of the holes, so I always know what the internal temps are. I'm looking for an olde Sparkletts water cooler at garage sales so I can gut it for the reefer unit, a 68 degree thermocouple and I'll be good.

Very cool! I like what you came up with to keep your temps down! I've got mine running on a cycle timer set to 2 minutes on and 4 minutes off most of the time. This also helps keep the water temp within the desired range of 69 to 72 without the need to use frozen water bottles.

The T48 is a great unit! I think it is a much better value than the EZ Clone 30 in the same price range, but with 18 more sites and actually cheaper. I agree that the fan on the front doesn't work as well as they claim it does in their ads, but it is better than not having that fan on the front of the unit at all.

To keep an eye on the water temp inside the cloner's reservoir, I use a POLDER two piece remote oven thermometer. I installed the sensor probe into the reservoir about 3 inches from the bottom which is submerged in the solution when the unit is filled. The probe was originally held in place with two plastic clothespins epoxied to the side of the unit.

Camera is pointing DOWN into the bottom of the T-48 with the lid off to show the Polder sensor probe clipped to the left side of the front inner wall of the cloning chamber's water reservoir.

P10106321.jpg

I found that the Roots Exellerator and Clonex cloning solution in the water would break down the epoxy over time and the pins would come loose. I have since replaced those clothespins with two suction cup equipped metal document clips that stick like glue to the inner wall of the cloner without the need for adhesive. I run the cable of the probe out of the unit through the groove for the pump's AC cord. The thermometer's base/display is magnetic so it sticks to the top of the 125 watt CFL fixture I use above the cloner.

The base portion of the thermometer has an alarm feature that can be set to go off at any preset temp, so I currently have mine set to 76 degrees to warn me if the temp gets too high in the reservoir.

P1010672.JPG

To make it easier to check the temp in the cloner, I attached a webcam to the opposite side of the CFL light fixture and pointed it at the Polder's display. To see this display even when the lights are out in the closet, I hooked up a cheap LED keyboard light on a gooseneck and pointed that at the display also. Now I can check the cloner's temp from any computer on our network including my iPOD Touch! No need to open the closet doors to check the temp! :thumb:

P1011691.JPG
P1011695.JPG
P1011693.JPG

Here is the view from the webcam's streaming LIVE web page. You can see the cycle timer at the top of the live image

Screen_Shot_2011-09-06_at_4_43_43_PM.jpg

All in all, it is a great system and without it, I seriously doubt that I would have been able to successfully clone out all of the plants that I have this season! Before the T48, I had very mixed results with Rockwool and other more traditional cloning techniques.

I lurk in threads that I don't respond to until someone posts something that I'm either interested in or working on, so I'll be around.;)

Cool! Hopefully, something here will spark your interest again soon! :)

Thanks again for your input and for touching base! :)

Looks like you OVER nuteing, which is dropping your ph and causing micro nutes to lock out. IMO that is, i think you should flush her with just nice 6.5 Ph water if you havn't buddy :D everything is looking great dont know why i wasn't subscribbed to your journal b4 i coulse have sworn ive been here FEW times

Thanks OG.. The brand I have up here is GROWMORE. I don't see any Potassium listed on the bottle. Never heard of Maxicrop. Our local podunct nursery doesn't have jack when it comes to any of these more recent products. I'll have to go online, which may be too late for this GDP.

EDIT:

Ooops! My bad! This Kelp Extract I have here DOES HAVE Potassium in it listed as "Soluable Potash 1.50%" Don't know what I was thinking earlier when I said it didn't have that mineral in it! ;)

Thanks and welcome aboard N.W. Green! Glad you could make it up! :thumb:

I wish the problem was something as simple and basic as over nutes. I wouldn't have bothered you guys with something as simple as that. Thing is... I'm not a big fan of heavy fertilizer use, so my grows gets the bare minimum they need most of the time. This plant was fed on the same schedule as everything else, and the fact that it is in a pot twice as large as I normally use, you would think it would be the last one of the bunch to show any signs of a nute problem either over or under.

In terms of flushing... I detailed everything I did in my first post about this.

Probably have run over 150 gallons of our mountain spring well water through this pot so far with a drip flush, and no change in the condition. The last one I did was on Sunday.

The remaining leaves are starting to show the same mottling now. Hmmmm... I'm starting to think that I might actually loose this plant! :(

GDP 1 was always the most impressive grower of the three original clones. I would have never imagined that she would succum to some mystery disease at this point in her life. I haven't encountered a problem that wasn't fixable, but it seems that this plant just isn't responding to anything I have tried so far.

I've got a 25 gallon pot sitting empty outside. Although it might prove a total disaster, I am seriously considering yanking that plant out of that 10 gallon pot and putting her in that 25 gallon with fresh soil under her.

I figure that I have nothing to loose at this point!

So sorry to hear about the probs with GDP1. :goodluck: with her my friend.

Well, even though you've been addressing most of (if not all) the issues that NW suggested, I have to throw my 2 cents in. I did think he was on to something with PH low and micro nute lockout. I was about to suggest that - I've seen similar behavior when a PH pen got out of whack and I was accidentally running PH too low. Hope you can save her somehow...

Awesome cloning set-up! :thumb:

So sorry to hear about the probs with GDP1. :goodluck: with her my friend.

Well, even though you've been addressing most of (if not all) the issues that NW suggested, I have to throw my 2 cents in. I did think he was on to something with PH low and micro nute lockout. I was about to suggest that - I've seen similar behavior when a PH pen got out of whack and I was accidentally running PH too low. Hope you can save her somehow...

Awesome cloning set-up! :thumb:

Hey XL! Glad you enjoyed my little photo-essay on my T48 rig! :)

I can understand why you guys would suspect the soil pH as the likely cause, but my pH tests would seem to indicate that the problem lies elsewhere, but not too far away from your hunch! Read on! ;)

The lowest pH reading I saw with that original pot read out at 5.9 on the IN SOIL meter, and the runoff tests done at various times read out between 6.0 and 6.9 using BOTH of my DM-200 digital pH meters just to be sure I was getting the right numbers The average IN SOIL reading was 6.2 which is within the ideal range as far as I know.

While the pH does not appear to be the problem, I think that you and Green were still on the right track in suspecting the soil. After going back through my personal grow journal notes I keep on paper, I'm starting to suspect that I got a bad batch of Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil! I read someone back east posting a warning about the stuff a few months ago saying they had a bad batch and that FF had acknowledged a problem with a few lot #s. I don't recall the specific problem, but there was a problem, and that is telling.

Back when i first transplanted the clones into their final pots, GDP 2 and 3 were potted in my tried and true economy blend of 50/50 Coco-Blend and Hyponex. Since GDP 1 was growing so well and looked like it would be my mother plant at the time, I decided to pot it in a larger 10 gallon pot and use my BRAND NEW 2 cu ft BAG of Fox Farm Ocean Forest!

The two BBK clones were also potted in the same FFOF, BUT I mixed it with a 50% blend of Coco-blend and Hyponex, so it wasn't 100% FFOF. If you recall, both BBK plants also started showing signs of this very same problem at about 5.5 weeks into their flower cycle, but not as bad or as early as this GDP!

That messed up bag of FFOF is likely the cause of this plant's problems!

That was the smoking gun I was looking for! Thanks Fox Farm! :rolleyes3

The bags I used for today's transplant were from a totally different lot # than what I originally used in the 10 gallon pot, plus I mixed it 50/50 with Happy Frog.

Only time will tell if she recovers and starts behaving normally again. It is kind of weird to have one sick plant surrounded by a jungle of totally healthy ones all being fed the same things on the same schedule as the sick one. It was enough to drive someone crazy! :lot-o-toke:

It now makes complete sense why this one plant would get sick when everything seemed identical to all the other plants. Everything was the same except THE SOIL!! ;)

So... You guys were close, and what I suspect as the real culprit is something that is so rare that it would likely never happen again! Just my luck eh?

Turbo Klone • Session #3 Update!
Better Late Than Never!

I knew when I took this series of cuttings that I was bucking the odds that any of them would root, even in a cloner like the T48. The reason was that the mother plants these were taken from were either in flower, or very close to entering flower because of the hours of daylight outside in August.

Although the majority of the cuttings were Blue Cheese, I did manage to take three cuttings from my single Northern Lights female plant that was grown from seed. After checking the cloner yesterday morning, I noticed that two of the three NL cuttings were developing root buds! Root buds on Day 25! I came very close to tossing this lot after I got my single Blue Cheese rooted clone a few days ago. I decided to add another dose of "Roots Excelerator" and 50 ml of Clonex to the reservoir even though it was already jammed packed with the stuff! I figured it was worth a shot, and I had nothing to loose at this point.

Check out what these two NL clones managed to produce in a little over 24 hours!

P1011698.JPG
P1011697.JPG

I inspected all the remaining Blue Cheese cuttings and am seeing some promising signs that a few of them may be close to rooting! Others look to be history, so I will probably kull the remaining cuttings later today and leave in only the few that show any signs of rooting in the next 48 hours. I need to switch this closet over to a 24/0 cycle in order to force reveg on the Blue Cheese clone I already have, so the water temp be damned starting tonight! Perhaps an 80 F plus water temp might kick the rest in the butt? There won't be enough time left for any nasties to grow in the water, so what the hell! :thumb:

This could possibly be Blue Cheese Clone #3!

You never know WHERE the roots are going to come from! I left this cutting long because there was a nice node at the bottom. This bottom node proved to be where the roots spikes are emerging from! I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't left that node in place?

P1011699.JPG

And finally... Here is a photo of the two most recent additions to the family!

Northern Lights 2 and 3!

Close call girls! You almost ended up on the compost heap!

P1011700.JPG

Thanks Guys!

Definitely ANOTHER valuable lesson learned! :thumb:

Just shows you that given enough time, nutes and the right rooting conditions, you can coax roots out of the most stubborn flowering cuttings. It just takes nearly TWICE as long to get it done! Even now, the majority of the cuttings have failed, so my yield was only like 20%, but considering that the future of my entire Blue Cheese and Northern Lights lineage was at stake, I will take that percentage any day of the week! :laughtwo: :yahoo:

Golden, what's your "recipe" for molasses feedings? :) thanks!

I use 1 tablespoon worth for every 1 gallon of plain water. Easiest to disolve the molasses in a cup of hot water and add the disolved syrup to the watering can filled with cold water. pH the final mix to about 6.5 and feed this to your plants every third or fourth watering when they are put under 12/12. In the past I had been waiting until Week 6 of flowering to start with the sugars, but I have found lately that the plants seem to really dig this added boost BEFORE they start transitioning from veg to flower mode.

My schedule is based on "Plantation Brand Unsulphured BlackStrap" which is low in sodium but with double the Potassium, Iron and Calcium of most well known brands found in grocery stores. I strongly recommend making the effort to find this brand if you can.

P1011579.JPG

P1011578.JPG

I hear that the Whole Foods market chain carries the entire line. Some other larger grocery chains carry it as well, but usually it is a Health Food Store item. It sells for about 4-5 bucks for a 15 oz bottle which should last most home growers at least a couple of months.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this. :thumb:

I'm going to have to see if I can find that brand around me. I use Brer Rabbit, it has 8% calcium 8% magnesium and 2% iron

If you have a Whole Foods near you, try calling on them first. :)

This brand was recommended to me about 12 years ago for my Jalapeno pepper growing, by a relative who raises award winning roses. She swore by the stuff and insisted that I ONLY use THAT BRAND if I wanted the best results. This was way before I started seriously growing Cannabis or paid much attention to the finer details of plant nutrition etc.

Now that I know more about all this stuff and can understand what all the various vitamins and minerals can do for a plant, its obvious why you would want to use Plantation over other brands for a plant food supplement! :thumb:

Some of the more commonly found brands of Molasses have a very high sodium content which is VERY BAD for your girls. Many also lack sufficient Potassium which is also something you want in decent concentrations to accompany the sugar. Calcium and Iron, same thing.

I would be curious to find out exactly how much of Plantation's business comes from bakers and chefs versus how much is sold to horticulturalists, growers and other plant fanciers? :morenutes:

Thanks Guys!

Definitely ANOTHER valuable lesson learned! :thumb:

Just shows you that given enough time, nutes and the right rooting conditions, you can coax roots out of the most stubborn flowering cuttings. It just takes nearly TWICE as long to get it done! Even now, the majority of the cuttings have failed, so my yield was only like 20%, but considering that the future of my entire Blue Cheese and Northern Lights lineage was at stake, I will take that percentage any day of the week! :laughtwo: :yahoo:

Big time congrats on saving your genetics. :thumb:

Big time congrats on saving your genetics. :thumb:

Thanks XL! Me too! :thumb:

While I could always buy another pack of Blue Chese seeds, cloning is SO MUCH EASIER in the long run, even when you screw up the "sell by date" and try to take cuttings when the damn thing has already gone into flower! :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom