GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Great harvest GG7! :)

I think I almost got high off the pictures alone!

Definitely will be looking for a new review from you once its nice and dried ;)

LOL! :laughtwo:

Hey THSea!! Long time no see! How the heck are ya? :high-five:

I heard through the grapevine that you made it back to Hawaii and have been assisting Old Med Man with his grows! I assumed that we hadn't heard from you all this time because you were in the process of moving? Is that a correct assumption? In any event...Welcome back my friend! :Namaste:

You can count on a fresh new GDP review once I get this harvest dried and properly cured! Speaking on which... Tonight I emptied all the curing jars of bud from my recent BBK #1 harvest and weighed the now dried and partially cured lot for the first time! I'll be posting my results in my third and last weekend update tomorrow morning so stay tuned! :thumb:

Again...Welcome back! :welcome:

GG7, youve done it again!!!:bravo:

Thanks GT! :Namaste:

I definitely can't complain at how well all of these various grows have been turning out so far this summer. A lot of the credit has to go to good ol' Mother Nature for giving us one of the mildest summers we have had up here in decades! Aside from our usual High to Very High UV index levels this time of year, our temps have been relatively mild with very little in the way of triple digit heat waves and our usual summer Thunderstorm activity, which in past years has proven to be somewhat challenging for many of our outdoor crops.

Instead, the rest of the country has been given a taste of what we usually have to deal with from late June through early October.

Meanwhile, all my Northern Cali bred Cannabis strains are showing their appreciation with some memorable harvests! :circle-of-love:

GG7 you are one hell of a grower Buddy! :high-five:

I'm getting pretty envious of you. Just another just awesome harvest. I think THsea should have become your apprentice, not mine! We are chopping again tomorrow...it sure won't be on your level Buddy. Wow! :love:

Thanks for the warm welcome back:circle-of-love: But I'm pretty much always here.. Just lurking.:)

Yep, back in the islands.. Kinda just feeling down more than anything. Flying all over the place for nothing (well, not for nothing, but thats my attitude lately) is BS.. Especially all the complications it entails ayekarrumba! Just gotta focus and get the ball rolling so I can have a neat little journal like you do! ;)

I'll be sure to check out your update! :popcorn: I think your blueberry might have turned out better than OMM's. He seemed a tad disappointed with his BB. Then again, he can be a bit of a negative-nancy about his own work. I'm a bit more optimistic, at least for other people!

Sorry for all the off-topicing! Back to the show! Go GG7 :cheer:

GG7 you are one hell of a grower Buddy! :high-five:

I'm getting pretty envious of you. Just another just awesome harvest. I think THsea should have become your apprentice, not mine! We are chopping again tomorrow...it sure won't be on your level Buddy. Wow! :love:

Oh come on now OMM! ;) We all know you are selling your self short with comments like that! THsea is lucky to have someone with your experience to take him under your wing and show him the ropes of this process! That is exactly what the young Jedi needs right now! :Namaste:

I have no doubt that you've got years on me when it comes to Cannabis cultivation experience! My only real ace in the hole is that I have been growing a lot of food crops for decades that track very similarly to Cannabis in terms of temperament and growing condition requirements. Because of this, I was able to transfer my growing experience from these other crops over and apply them to this stuff.

Fortunately for me, that whole concept worked and it allowed me to leap frog years ahead in the game! :laughtwo: :thumb:

P.S. And don't be bummed about your Blueberry harvest dude! Mine was KUSH, not the regular Blueberry, so the yields are not going to even be close. I didn't even know this difference myself until these monsters started flowering. Through half their lives I was calling them "Blueberry cause the KUSH part didn't even register with me! :laughtwo:

Talk to ya soon! :high-five:

Weekend Update III - Return of the BBK!
BBK1 Dried Bud Weigh-In - BBK Clones 3-9 into Bloom Room -
BBK #1 Entered in Plant of the Month Contest for September!

As you can plainly see, it has been a rather crazy holiday weekend around our house! Seems that there was always something that urgently needed to be done with one grow or another, and very little time to sit back and relax like we are all supposed to on a long weekend right? :laughtwo:

Well... The fun time isn't over for me just yet.

BBK #1 Harvest Update

Submitted for your approval... Our dried and partially cured Blueberry Kush #1 harvest.

P1011672.JPG

The BBK1 yield tipped the scales at 4.85 ounces and based on the look and feel of the buds, I would say that we are about as light as it is going to get. Going to give it another 3-4 days in the jars before moving the lot to "OXO Good Grips" storage containers each with a "Humidipack" 72 RH to keep the buds stable at their current state of cure.

P1011669.JPG

Another 2-3 weeks in those stable, climate controlled containers and the bud should be ready for use! :thumb:

Blueberry Kush Clones 3 through 9 Into Bloom Room

After deciding to move GDP #1 back outside for some soil conditioning that can't easily be done in the bathtub, (more on that next time) I decided to give the ol Bloom Room a good scrub and then assemble a new lineup of guests for the next couple of weeks.

Right to Left:

BBK #3 (BBK1's growing tip) BBK #4 and #5

P1011654.JPG
P1011653.JPG

On the right side of the room under our 2 foot 4 tube fixture are BBK 7 through 9

P1011655.JPG

To the right of those and under its own CFL fixture is BBK #6

P1011656.JPG
P1011657.JPG

Here are some closeup shots of BBK 3 through 5

P1011659.JPG
P1011660.JPG
P1011662.JPG
P1011661.JPG
P1011658.JPG

BBK #1 Entered in Plant of the Month Contest for September!

It was hard to choose between this and GDP #2, but since I just figured out the actual dried bud yield total for this one, I decided to enter BBK #1 in the September Plant of the Month Contest!

I hope that you guys will all vote for her! :love::love::love::Namaste:

And with that we conclude our Labor Day Weekend Journal Updates! :cheer:

We don't expect to have much to report for the next week to 10 days as the various grows continue their forward momentum to a natural flowering/harvest out back around the first week of October. The equinox arrives on September 23rd and with it, a full 12 hours of darkness outdoors! This should kick the outdoor flowering plants into high gear!

See ya next time and thanks for sticking around! :peacetwo::thanks:

Thanks for the warm welcome back:circle-of-love: But I'm pretty much always here.. Just lurking.:)

Yep, back in the islands.. Kinda just feeling down more than anything. Flying all over the place for nothing (well, not for nothing, but thats my attitude lately) is BS.. Especially all the complications it entails ayekarrumba! Just gotta focus and get the ball rolling so I can have a neat little journal like you do! ;)

I'll be sure to check out your update! :popcorn: I think your blueberry might have turned out better than OMM's. He seemed a tad disappointed with his BB. Then again, he can be a bit of a negative-nancy about his own work. I'm a bit more optimistic, at least for other people!

Sorry for all the off-topicing! Back to the show! Go GG7 :cheer:

Well... At least now you are HOME and settling in right? You've got a good friend in Old Med Man to show you all the ins and outs of this process while allowing him to pass on his vast amount of knowledge to another generation!

Whats not to like about that arrangement? :bravo:

I told him above not to stress too much about his Blueberry harvest. At least I don't want him comparing his to mine, since mine was BBK, not the typical "smaller" yielding Blueberry I actually thought I had for half the grow! :laughtwo:

:thanks:

Need Your Help Gang!
Could Use Some Feedback from Other Growers on Odd Leaf Issue

The same odd leaf discoloration issue I encountered with my two BBK clones during their mid-flowering period indoors is happening once again. This time, one of my larger GDP clones is being effected. (GDP #1)

Check out these photos first...

The symptoms begin with yellow dots along the outer leaf edges, progressing to rust colored edges and tips. The leaves eventually yellow, turn brown, shrivel up and die. Many of the stems from these same leaves are purple/magenta in color. It appears to be a classic case of a Magnesium deficiency and/or a pH problem, but the plant is being fed a modest diet of organic nutes as well as Magnesium suppliments in the form of Epsom Salts twice in the last two weeks. Runoff pH ranges from 5.9 to 6.5 when tested with my HM-Digital DM-200 meter. IN SOIL meter reads 6.2. Dolomite Lime has recently been spread as top cover in the pot in order to keep pH from lowering below 6.0.

P1011678.JPG
P1011677.JPG

Leaves around growing tips are deep green and healthy as are the flower tops themselves.

P1011676.JPG

Here is a progression of leaf samples showing how this condition progresses over time

P1011674.JPG

Most of the leaves effected look like this one

P1011675.JPG

When the two treatments of Epsom Salts didn't seem to help, I suspected nute lockout/bad soil. So... The plant was removed from our indoor flowering room and flushed twice with Clearex and left to drain for 8 hours. Then a fresh water flush with a steady drip of plain water for 6 hours, followed by a drying out period of 24 hours, then a feed of Epsom Salts, Kelp Extract and Plantation BlackStrap Molasses.

I have not been able to find any images on the web that exactly match the look of these leaves, so I thought I would post some photos here and see what you guys think. Any other deficiency I am not aware of that produces these exact leaf symptoms?

I'm stumped as to what may be causing this at this point having tried everything I can think of. I would normally chalk it up to flowering behavior if it were not for the fact that GDP #2 didn't have this look, and neither does GDP #3 which is only about a week behind this plant in the flowering cycle.

The plant is also in a 10 gallon pot of FF OCEAN FOREST, which isn't supposed to fall victim to nute lockout as far as all the marketing hype would seem to indicate. Especially with 10 gallons worth for a 35" tall plant!

Thanks in advance guys! :thanks::thumb:

GG7, sorry to see the BBK having some troubles, and you're correct, it does LOOK like a cal-mag issue, EXCEPT, the cal-mag will usuall show in the younger growth first. You indicate that the newer growth is OK, and it's mostly on the older growth. This would lead me to believe it's possibly a Manganese deficiency.

According to the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial:

Having plants that are deficient in manganese can turn the young leaves into spotted (mottled) yellow and or brown areas on young leaves. Dead (Necrotic) yellow spots form on top leaves, while the lower older leaves will or may have gray specks and or spots. Symptoms can include yellowing of leaves while the leaf veins can stay green. Can also produce a chequered effect. As the plant gets newer growths the plant will seem to grow away from the problem, that’s why the younger leaves may be unaffected. On the top of the leaves, brown spots can appear. While the severe areas of the leaves turn brown and wither.

Here's the pic they give of a MN deficiency in flowering:

1134manganese-def1.jpg

Mr. Krip said:
GG7, sorry to see the BBK having some troubles, and you're correct, it does LOOK like a cal-mag issue, EXCEPT, the cal-mag will usuall show in the younger growth first. You indicate that the newer growth is OK, and it's mostly on the older growth. This would lead me to believe it's possibly a Manganese deficiency.

According to the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver: Pictorial:

Here's the pic they give of a MN deficiency in flowering:

Thanks for the lead Mr. K!

Manganese huh? I found that same "lousy, low res, out of focus" photo on the web while searching using "Yellowing mottled leaves" as a criteria but because the quality of most of the images on the web pertaining to Cannabis deficiencies are so poor, I couldn't accurately compare the conditions pictured to my "GDP" plant with the problem.

The leaves effected on GDP1 are the old and medium sized fan leaves. Flower tops and all small supporting leaves look healthy and deep green with no yellow spots or leaf edges. After I posted my first message about this on here, I went out and clipped off most of the effected leaves. The plant "looks" much better now but the cause is likely still unaddressed.

You would think that with the extreme measures I have taken regarding the "deep" flushing and focused reintroduction of suspected deficient nutes, that the plant would show some improvement by now! I am still not sure if the problem is Manganese. The more I read up on that the less the description fits what I am seeing in front of me.

One thing is clear! There is a serious need for some High Quality Cannabis leaf condition photos on the web! All the images I have come across range from terrible to below average. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Magic beans said:
Man GG7 you have some great grows going on! Ill have to try and keep up! I have so many subscribed grows right now... Y not another??

Hey Magic Beans! :thumb:

I have seen you around on a lot of the same journals that I frequent. ;) Welcome to mine! I'm pleased to see you here and hope that you will stop by often! :)

I pride myself on thoroughness both in photo-documenting my grows as well as providing complete accounts of various projects, experiments etc. It can get a bit verbose at times, but I figure that future visitors to this and my other threads would probably prefer that I make things as clear and complete as possible. :)

You have certainly picked an exciting time to jump on the train! Lots getting harvested this time of the year and lots being done to prepare for overwintering and the 2012 growing season!

Feel free to chime in if the mood strikes you! I've read a lot of your comments in other threads and welcome your input here! :thumb:

Cheers! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

looks like normal outdoor behavior to me... also some strains are used to heavy feedings, so they start using stored nutes in this fashion early on if not given ample doses...may not be correct, but my only other guess would be Manganese as K said...

looks like normal outdoor behavior to me... also some strains are used to heavy feedings, so they start using stored nutes in this fashion early on if not given ample doses...may not be correct, but my only other guess would be Manganese as K said...

Thanks GT!

My first thought was that this was just normal flowering behavio rat Week 3-4.

That is... If I didn't have GDP 3 sitting right next to this plant outside but showing none of the problems this plant has, I would probably just pass it off as mid-cycle flowering behavior. GDP 2 never had this problem either all the way up to Week 8 and harvest.

No unusual smell that I can detect.

You still think that this could be a Manganese deficiency even though the new growth sections of this GDP plant shows no issues at all? Only old and mid level fan leaves seem to be affected at the moment.

I was leaning more towards a Potassium deficiency based on my Jalapeno growing experience and after reading this nearly dead-on description of what I am seeing with the GDP on the ASK ED website. Although this guy is not growing in a static soil pot like I am, the symptoms he describes matches mine exactly.

"Dear Ed,
I grow Jack Flash and Original Misty in Canna coco mats (coir in plastic bags) using a run-to-waste dripper system. I follow the instructions on the Canna coco fertilizer and everything seems fine up until the third or fourth week of flowering. Then the lower fan leaves start to go blotchy all over while the top leaves become very dark green. The splotchy appearance spreads up the leaves eventually reaching the newer ones. By harvest time there is little green leaf remaining."

Ed's reply:

The plants are suffering from potassium deficiency as well as other possible deficiencies including nitrogen and phosphorous. The reason is that the salts in the fertilizer are insoluble and unavailable to the roots in the highly acid, low pH water. Adjust the water's pH from 5.2 - 5.8 as it is now, to 6.2 - 6.5. The minerals in the fertilizer will become soluble and available to the roots. New growth on the plant will not be affected by the deficiencies, but the damage to the old growth will remain.

One way to get needed nutrients to the deficient tissue quickly is to make a foliar spray using a liquid kelp extract containing a high percentage (3%) of potassium. The spray will provide micro-nutrients and also plant stimulants.

---------------------------------------------------

Only confusion factor for me with this remedy is that the runoff pH I have been testing with my DM-200 is always between 5.8 and 6.5. The IN SOIL meter I have stuck in the soil has been steady at 6.2 since the fresh water flushes.

Still, I'm going to try the Kelp Extract as a foliar feed spray and see if that helps at all. Now that I have cut off all the bad leaves, I will only be treating the newer unaffected growth, and hopefully preventing any further leaf damage.

Like I said... The 420 community could really use a new and updated deficiency site that provides HIGH RESOLUTION photographs of the various leaf issues that would take 90% of the current guess work out of resolving this problem! Right now, the bulk of the confusion between the various deficiencies is caused by the awful photographs available that are so blurry or small that you can't see any of the fine detail that separates one symptom from another! :icon_roll

Looks like you OVER nuteing, which is dropping your ph and causing micro nutes to lock out. IMO that is, i think you should flush her with just nice 6.5 Ph water if you havn't buddy :D everything is looking great dont know why i wasn't subscribbed to your journal b4 i coulse have sworn ive been here FEW times

U beat me to it....kelp foliar for a quick shot to the leaves. Make sure your kelp has what you need....some don't. Maxicrop powdered is diff from the liquid premix.

U beat me to it....kelp foliar for a quick shot to the leaves. Make sure your kelp has what you need....some don't. Maxicrop powdered is diff from the liquid premix.

Thanks OG.. The brand I have up here is GROWMORE. I don't see any Potassium listed on the bottle. Never heard of Maxicrop. Our local podunct nursery doesn't have jack when it comes to any of these more recent products. I'll have to go online, which may be too late for this GDP.

EDIT:

Ooops! My bad! This Kelp Extract I have here DOES HAVE Potassium in it listed as "Soluable Potash 1.50%" Don't know what I was thinking earlier when I said it didn't have that mineral in it! ;)

Those nugs look Awesome too buddy A+ for sure :thumb:

Thanks and welcome aboard N.W. Green! Glad you could make it up! :thumb:

I wish the problem was something as simple and basic as over nutes. I wouldn't have bothered you guys with something as simple as that. Thing is... I'm not a big fan of heavy fertilizer use, so my grows gets the bare minimum they need most of the time. This plant was fed on the same schedule as everything else, and the fact that it is in a pot twice as large as I normally use, you would think it would be the last one of the bunch to show any signs of a nute problem either over or under.

In terms of flushing... I detailed everything I did in my first post about this.

Probably have run over 150 gallons of our mountain spring well water through this pot so far with a drip flush, and no change in the condition. The last one I did was on Sunday.

The remaining leaves are starting to show the same mottling now. Hmmmm... I'm starting to think that I might actually loose this plant! :(

GDP 1 was always the most impressive grower of the three original clones. I would have never imagined that she would succum to some mystery disease at this point in her life. I haven't encountered a problem that wasn't fixable, but it seems that this plant just isn't responding to anything I have tried so far.

I've got a 25 gallon pot sitting empty outside. Although it might prove a total disaster, I am seriously considering yanking that plant out of that 10 gallon pot and putting her in that 25 gallon with fresh soil under her.

I figure that I have nothing to loose at this point!

GDP 1 Update:
The SICK Plant Gets New Digs!

After mulling it over for a few minutes, I decided to go for broke and transplant the sick GDP 1 into a larger 25 gallon pot! Anyone who has transplanted TREES before knows how hard this can be! But, having faith in my growing techniques that usually result in a dense and strong root ball, I cut the old pot down the side with a box cutter, pried it apart, grabbed GDP 1 by the base of the stalk and lifted her out, root ball and all! :thumb:

Dropped her into the 25 gallon pot filled with a 50/50 mix of Happy Frog and FFOF soil. Watered her lightly with some B1 transplant solution and then went ahead and sprayed her down with a folliar spray of my Kelp Extract.

P1011684.JPG

As you can see from these photos... She looks kind of funny in such a big pot, but the IN SOIL METER is giving me exactly what I wanted to see! 6.8 "in soil" pH which is optimum based on my other plants I have tested!

P1011685.JPG

Now all I can do is sit back and watch her and hope that she starts showing signs of recovery.

I'll keep you guys posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom