Going Green With JCTJ: Perpetual Autos With A Photo Here & There

A 20-10-20 with 12% nitrate nitrogen and 8% ammoniacal nitrogen would suffice if I wanted to try to bring it down a little more?
Yes. I didn't want to spend $75 on a 25lb bag of Jack's so I got GrowMore Orchid 20-10-20 food with the exact same numbers. $9 at my local nursery and cheaper than Amazon that was going to take two weeks to ship!

Water to full run-off for a week and it will bring it down considerably.

Hope things are alright, @JCTJ

What Konk said, and excellent avatar. :rip:

Good morning fellas! Thank you for checking in on me :)

I've had my journal tab open in my browser for the last couple weeks, just haven't done any browsing or posting here during that time. In regards to where we left off with the slight ph imbalance in my medium, I have not attempted to correct that just yet. The last couple weeks I decided to let all 4 of my plants ride out and see what happens.

Morning of day 19 for the plant truly deemed unknown, she's either a Blueberry Auto or Northern Lights Auto. Growth has been on point here, aside from the continued necrosis on the first set of true leaves and the tips of second set. I have literally been watering these new plants with the smallest amount needed to sustain life! It is working but just barely, the necrosis is still bugging me.... but may still sort itself out when they root the pot a little more.

Critical Mass Auto (early day 15) - She's doing her thing. I don't have a lot of hope, these critical mass auto seeds were freebies and I haven't really seen any pan out as of yet.

Sweet Seeds Mystery Auto - morning day 18. She's in a tiny 2gal plastic pot, seeming happy with a little lower leaf necrosis. She somehow FIM'd herself about a week ago, producing a tri-tip lol. I think I'm going to run with it and bend down the top to produce 3 mains that I can LST more down the road.

Lemon Potion Auto - She has really corrected herself over the last couple weeks with all new growth being healthy and buds forming as they should.

So what have I learned here? This round of indoor has been like no other for me, never have I had to be so careful with my water practices. These pots have to be light as a feather bone dry before I can consider adding small amounts of water back in. Too much and the necrosis starts instantly. Still a little stumped on that but I will continue to monitor the ph of the medium as time goes on. Starting with the next round of autos, I'll see about amending the medium with an ammoniacal fertilizer to bring down the ph a little and see if that helps.

I'm babying these new autos so much that I don't even want to do much of any LST, just more focused on having a start to finish grow without major problems :thumb: . Hope everyone is well and I'll be popping around some journals to get caught up again.

Good to 'see' you! You sound a bit defeated and that sucks - you have the Ron persona in my head while I read and came up with this
20200922_120456.jpg

This does help us new growers learn along side the experienced while you troubleshoot, so thank you... They look green and full, right.
Hope you catch a break!

Good to 'see' you! You sound a bit defeated and that sucks - you have the Ron persona in my head while I read and came up with this
20200922_120456.jpg

This does help us new growers learn along side the experienced while you troubleshoot, so thank you... They look green and full, right.
Hope you catch a break!

Haha, defeated/deflated - maybe a little :D. I'll definitely keep updating progress, mistakes/learning experiences and all!

If I had autos growing that nicely I'd be thrilled to bits!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with how they are going. Just want to avoid the impending yellowing doom that has plagued me the last few plants.

Is that the common theme, they're finicky autos? I better go read back a few pages

My overall experience with autos has been pretty positive. It's just a matter of getting things dialed in and have happy plants by the time they transition to flower, because there is very little time to fix mistakes without sometimes serious consequences. Case in point, one of the three Zkittles autos earlier in this thread had similar issues to what I have been having this round but a little further down the line in growth and rooting. Looking back, that too would likely have been a case of over watering and causing deficiencies/stunting. The two that were fine ended up going on to be the two largest and highest yielding autos I have grown to date.

Lesson: You can still make rookie watering mistakes after a bunch of successful grows/harvests... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks, guys! I had ice in my birdbath yesterday and am almost 16 weeks in. I am seeing outdoor growers in colder areas cutting it close and have auto flowering on my research list.

Hey everyone, happy hump day!

77F - 56% RH

Day 19 - Sweet Seeds Mystery auto. I wanted to give more light to those two lower nodes since the plant kind of half self topped. It's a pretty easy opportunity for LST since the top itself is offset to the one side of the plant, I simply bent it over a little more to open up the lowers. As you can tell, there is one leaf and node missing from (directionally speaking) the south side of the plant. If all goes well I will bend over the top at more of an angle and allow the node directly below it to come up in the opposite direction.

She also started to show preflower pistils today :)

Day 20 for the mystery Northern/Blueberry. Growth is rapid at this point to say the least. I feel like she would or could have benefitted from a topping, but I think I'll leave it be.

Day 16 - Critical Mass. Nothing really to report here.

Sweet seeds mystery is so furry! lol
JCTJ, you have tied down an auto. Would you clarify, please. It isn't a firm no to lst autos just not recommended because it could slow them down? They may not have the time needed before they flip to flower?
Am I close?

Really tight nodes on that Northern Blue. If it were mine I'd pull off that tiny lowest node and the leaves below it. I don't want my plants sending their energy down that low.

Everything is looking good to me JC!

Thanks Shed! I put the old pinchers to work and plucked away :)

Sweet seeds mystery is so furry! lol
JCTJ, you have tied down an auto. Would you clarify, please. It isn't a firm no to lst autos just not recommended because it could slow them down? They may not have the time needed before they flip to flower?
Am I close?

She is a furry girl, hopefully she ends up just as frosty as the rest of the Sweet Seeds autos I've run!

Autos respond well to LST and you'll generally end up with increased yields over no training at all. Keep in mind that there is still stress in low stress training. Gradual adjustments to pull down the main stem, making the original top lower than other growth nodes and spreading out the canopy has been very beneficial in my experience. During this process, supporting the main stem is key as you don't want to disrupt or even destroy some of the root system below by pulling.

It's important to note that if you're running into water or nutrient problems early on in your auto grow, the plant may or may not react well to additional stress from LST techniques. I wouldn't say autos are hard to grow but sometimes they can be finicky, you want the most vigorous first few weeks of growth as possible to set the tone once they start transitioning to flower. For some people autos offer diminishing returns and less control compared to a dialed in photoperiod plant. I personally find them fun with an easy light schedule and the ability to start new seeds at any point while still being able to finish up other autos flowering in the same tent.

With that being said, you can still use higher stress techniques with autos like topping with good results. Hope that helps :thumb:

Thanks Shed! I put the old pinchers to work and plucked away :)

She is a furry girl, hopefully she ends up just as frosty as the rest of the Sweet Seeds autos I've run!

Autos respond well to LST and you'll generally end up with increased yields over no training at all. Keep in mind that there is still stress in low stress training. Gradual adjustments to pull down the main stem, making the original top lower than other growth nodes and spreading out the canopy has been very beneficial in my experience. During this process, supporting the main stem is key as you don't want to disrupt or even destroy some of the root system below by pulling.

It's important to note that if you're running into water or nutrient problems early on in your auto grow, the plant may or may not react well to additional stress from LST techniques. I wouldn't say autos are hard to grow but sometimes they can be finicky, you want the most vigorous first few weeks of growth as possible to set the tone once they start transitioning to flower. For some people autos offer diminishing returns and less control compared to a dialed in photoperiod plant. I personally find them fun with an easy light schedule and the ability to start new seeds at any point while still being able to finish up other autos flowering in the same tent.

With that being said, you can still use higher stress techniques with autos like topping with good results. Hope that helps :thumb:
Excellent, thank you!

Great advice on growing autos, JCTJ!

I would add that sometimes autos also seem to respond well to conversation, especially being asked questions. I often ask mine questions like, "What the hell are you doing?" or "Why won't you grow?" :Rasta:

Great advice on growing auto, JCTJ!

I would add that sometimes autos also seem to respond well to conversation, especially being asked questions. I often ask mine questions like, "What the hell are you doing?" or "Why won't you grow?" :Rasta:

I can relate. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Cursing and uttering threats under my breath while working in the tent on stubborn specimens...

That WTC is still a beaut!

She sure is! It should be an interesting next couple weeks, after Sunday we are looking at significantly dropping temps and rainy dampness. Bring on the WPM prevention team :p

Back
Top Bottom